Options

Police Officer Killed while Pumping Gas in Houston

Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
I just heard this on my local news cast. I have no details other than what's in the title other than he was shot in the back. If someone finds a link, please share it. I'll be following this when I get up in the morning.

Comments

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Found this, but assume more info to follow.

http://abc13.com/news/hcso-deputy-fatally-shot-at-gas-station-in-nw-harris-county/961336/

Going about your life and someone else decides, "That's it - you're done. Just because I said so."

I find myself asking more and more...what the fuck is wrong with some people?
  • Options
    hedonist said:

Going about your life and someone else decides, "That's it - you're done. Just because I said so."

Gotta be careful with your words Hedo
    Next thing you know you will bombarded with the old
    "so much hate and passive aggressive" accusations.

It sucked this happened but AMT can be full of shitty things.
    Lately you seem irked.(Perhaps feeling down on a certain shitty thing?)
    I don't mean to de-rail OP just that your thread perhaps is left wide open.
  • Options
    It's really unbelievable how cold blooded people can be.
  • Options

hedonist said:

Sometimes it all (the news here in the US and outside of it, how people can and do and sometimes lust in the mistreatment of each other, how they can pour chemicals on animals for a laugh, set a fire that takes out thousands of acres land) does more than irk me.

If this shit ever fails to affect me...take me out of my (lack of) misery.

I think what's happening lately for me is that given our technology, putting faces to these actions somehow makes it more personal. Years ago I'd have just read about it in print; easier to glance, blanket it and move on. Now I see photos of the asshole who took down animals for fun, the scumbag who took down children for fun.

Trust that I try to let it go as I can through various means.

And truth be told, while I'm a bit melancholy this evening, I'm not really down but sort of...resigned? Even got some old Blind Melon going here, which is like an aural balm.

I'm more at home in my Galaxie.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,722
    Maybe Chuck Dukowski had it right- give everybody guns and see who is left standing. I'll be in a basement five floors down. Let me know when it's all over.

Or maybe revive the "Good News" thread?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,299
    This is sick the killer kept shooting even when cop was down its unbelievable , at some point something has to be done about how many guns are out there ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    hedonist said:

hedonist said:

Sometimes it all (the news here in the US and outside of it, how people can and do and sometimes lust in the mistreatment of each other, how they can pour chemicals on animals for a laugh, set a fire that takes out thousands of acres land) does more than irk me.

If this shit ever fails to affect me...take me out of my (lack of) misery.

I think what's happening lately for me is that given our technology, putting faces to these actions somehow makes it more personal. Years ago I'd have just read about it in print; easier to glance, blanket it and move on. Now I see photos of the asshole who took down animals for fun, the scumbag who took down children for fun.

Trust that I try to let it go as I can through various means.

And truth be told, while I'm a bit melancholy this evening, I'm not really down but sort of...resigned? Even got some old Blind Melon going here, which is like an aural balm.

I'm more at home in my Galaxie.
    "Aural Balm" sounds sooo soothing.
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    Happened in my neck of the woods. I added link to gun thread before seeing this. Example of how having a gun strapped to your waist and being trained is no protection.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,798
    being at a gas station, I assume theere were mulitple security cameras in use to help with prosecution of drive offs?

Article I came across didnt give much more than the basic facts
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    Got the perp.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    Something very similar to this happened in moncks corner, sc a couple of months ago. A cop was talking to someone in a gas station parking lot when a guy came from being the building and shot him in the head. Somehow, he survived. Two days later, Charleston police killed the guy.

I hope this doesn't become the new way of killing cops.
  • Options
    actually the number cops killed in the line of duty (i.e. murdered) is down from last year which saw a spike. Been a downward treand for several decades now. Any are too many but it is a positive?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2015/06/30/fewer-police-officers-shot-and-killed-over-first-half-of-2015-than-2014/

another article says that a quarter of the cops that have been killed are in lousiana.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2015/08/27/nearly-a-quarter-of-the-police-officers-shot-and-killed-this-year-have-been-in-louisiana/
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    I'm surprised race hasn't come up in any of the articles I've read. Oh wait...a white person was killed so it does fit any liberal or media agenda.
  • Options
    hedonist said:

Found this, but assume more info to follow.

http://abc13.com/news/hcso-deputy-fatally-shot-at-gas-station-in-nw-harris-county/961336/

I ask myself the same question. The callousness of some people is mind-boggling. This brutal execution is beyond comprehension. Sad.
  • Options
    RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,206
    mickeyrat said:
    Isn't Louisiana the easiest state to obtain a gun in or something like that? I'm sure there's no connection there though.
  • Options
    I've heard police have arrested the guy that did this. I can't wait to hear why he did this. Gang initiation? Lost a bet? The cop owed him some coke? Something. This is just too heartless.
  • Options
    Press conference shortly.
  • Options
    They are saying the cop had no previous dealings with the suspect. Random and complete senseless.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    Another example of how a surprise shooter can take down anyone regardless if they are armed or not. This isn't any different than the Charleston shootings where the pro gun crowd said "if only someone in the group had been armed." Why aren't we hearing that same argument now?...that's a rhetorical question
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    So this guy had been previously charged with 'disorderly conduct with a firearm', yet I bet the gun he used to commit the murder was legally held. Madness
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Chicago burbs too....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2015/09/01/manhunt-launched-after-police-officer-shot-near-chicago/?tid=sm_fb

Not to shit on this officer. Is it common procedure to give chase of multiple suspects when alone?

Maybe AN answer is to have 2 officer patrol cars?
    Post edited by mickeyrat on

• Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,976

So this guy had been previously charged with 'disorderly conduct with a firearm', yet I bet the gun he used to commit the murder was legally held. Madness

If he was on drugs, a convicted felon, had a restraining order against him, was dishonorably discharged from the military, was convicted of domestic violence, had renounced his US citizenship, was adjudicated as having a mental illness, was ever forcibly committed to a mental institution or committing a crime while in possession of a firearm, it was not legally held.

There may be other criteria that I missed, too.

The fact of the matter is that he is a scumbag, coward, murderer and asshole. He'll have his day in court.

I feel bad for the victim's family. I hope they can find some peace.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    edited September 2015
    So 4 cops gunned down in a weeks time.Ambushed in cold blood.
    Boy if this was an unarmed black guys getting killed this place would have its panties so in wad.
    Just wondering where the same outrage is for the cops?There life's must not matter as much.

Oh btw,The BLM "movement" is talking some hateful stuff and possible encouraging such behavior.This is getting stupid.,All Lives Matter!
    Post edited by rr165892 on
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

actually the number cops killed in the line of duty (i.e. murdered) is down from last year which saw a spike. Been a downward treand for several decades now. Any are too many but it is a positive?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2015/06/30/fewer-police-officers-shot-and-killed-over-first-half-of-2015-than-2014/

another article says that a quarter of the cops that have been killed are in lousiana.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2015/08/27/nearly-a-quarter-of-the-police-officers-shot-and-killed-this-year-have-been-in-louisiana/

rr165892 said:

Boy if this was an unarmed black guys getting killed this place would have its panties so in wad.
    Just wondering where the same outrage is for the cops?There life's must not matter as much.

Oh btw,The BLM "movement" is talking some hateful stuff and possible encouraging such behavior.This is getting stupid.,All Lives Matter!

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    rr165892 said:

the difference is that people that kill cops are criminals...cops that kill people are the authority

get it?

Why protest when the guy was caught? If he was walking around free there would probably be some outrage...don't ya think?

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,161
    this is cowardly and shameful. throw the shooter in prison and never talk about him again.

i am not getting my panties in a twist because it was a cop that died. he was a person. wearing a badge does not make his life worth any more than anybody elses.

another gun death in america.

yawn.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options

this is cowardly and shameful. throw the shooter in prison and never talk about him again.

i am not getting my panties in a twist because it was a cop that died. he was a person. wearing a badge does not make his life worth any more than anybody elses.

yawn.

I understand the concept and I'm not saying a cops life is any more valuable than ours. And the yawn is definitely understandable. But the reason this made news was because it's a cop. The fact that people are so willing to kill cops these days is the scary part.
  • Options

yawn.

I understand the concept and I'm not saying a cops life is any more valuable than ours. And the yawn is definitely understandable. But the reason this made news was because it's a cop. The fact that people are so willing to kill cops these days is the scary part.
    21 nationwide in 8 months.

• Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,161

yawn.

but a cop will tell you that his brother in blue's life is more valuable than ours. i see that every single day on facebook and every week here.

to me the fact that cops are so willing to kill civilians is scarier.

agree to disagree.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."