Options

Mad Season Seattle Symphony Sonic Evolution Vinyl Delay

Comments

• Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,403

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Nowhere has flawless production. GZ is very highly regarded. It's a great choice.

Not sure how you can say that after Vault 4. If I were in charge I'd never come back to a company that handled a job like that. It was a profound failure.
    So was the LB release - hope they never use that company again either.
    Hate to say it but you're basically wishing the band never releases any vinyl ever again. LB was pressed at URP in Nashville. Also a very highly-renowned pressing plant. The largest in the US and they've been in the business forever. Motown & Vee-Jay used them. It's who Jack White uses for his TMR label.
    I'm obviously not wishing that the band never release vinyl again. I'm saying that when a press fucks up an album as bad as the the two that fucked up their albums, they should never ever go back to them, yet they have. It's crazy. It's like going to a salon, they butcher your hair, and then you go back the next time, just crossing your fingers that they don't massacre your hairdo again. It's just stupid.
    totalsonic.net/vinylplants.htm

pitchfork.com/thepitch/363-vinyl-shortage/

Part of the issue is there are very few plants. And probably even less that can handle high demand. Not like there are many options for bands with large orders to choose from.
    Especially when there is so much shit being pressed on vinyl. I mean garbage stuff like video game soundtracks, most RSD releases, and reissues of Styx albums...
  • Options
    SK203708SK203708 Posts: 48
    edited August 2015

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Nowhere has flawless production. GZ is very highly regarded. It's a great choice.

Not sure how you can say that after Vault 4. If I were in charge I'd never come back to a company that handled a job like that. It was a profound failure.
    Hate to say it but you're basically wishing the band never releases any vinyl ever again. LB was pressed at URP in Nashville. Also a very highly-renowned pressing plant. The largest in the US and they've been in the business forever. Motown & Vee-Jay used them. It's who Jack White uses for his TMR label.
    I'm obviously not wishing that the band never release vinyl again. I'm saying that when a press fucks up an album as bad as the the two that fucked up their albums, they should never ever go back to them, yet they have. It's crazy. It's like going to a salon, they butcher your hair, and then you go back the next time, just crossing your fingers that they don't massacre your hairdo again. It's just stupid.

Part of the issue is there are very few plants. And probably even less that can handle high demand. Not like there are many options for bands with large orders to choose from.
    Especially when there is so much shit being pressed on vinyl. I mean garbage stuff like video game soundtracks, most RSD releases, and reissues of Styx albums...
    That is a problem. But as long as there are countless other "big" bands who get it right when it comes to vinyl-pressings I don't see why PJ can't.
    Post edited by SK203708 on
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,608
    SK203708 said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

That is a problem. But as long as there are countless other "big" bands who get it right when it comes to vinyl-pressings I don't see why PJ can't.
    For sure. It's not like it's impossible. For Pearl Jam, a band that claims to LOVE vinyl - they write songs about it, and one of them has even just started a label for the express purpose of getting good vinyl to people - super high quality vinyl should be a priority. Not cheapness and speed.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,940
    PJ_Soul said:

SK203708 said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

For sure. It's not like it's impossible. For Pearl Jam, a band that claims to LOVE vinyl - they write songs about it, and one of them has even just started a label for the express purpose of getting good vinyl to people - super high quality vinyl should be a priority. Not cheapness and speed.
    Unfortunately, cheapness and speed of production always seem to take priority with Ten Club, Vault 3 being the exception that comes to mind.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420
    edited August 2015
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

I know what you meant, but these are two of the biggest & best pressing plants in the world. For PJ to outlaw them based on a sample of one bad run each, out of the hundreds of thousands - if not millions - of runs they press each year, is not helping the fans out at all. The current demand can't be handled as it is by all the plants in the world. We're already waiting 5 months on the Vaults from the time the pre-order ends. To invoke a moratorium on the pressing plant would only mean longer and longer waits.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    I have seen nothing to suggest that they are two of the best plants in the world. They are just cheaper and faster.
    Yes, as mentioned before, waiting longer is ALWAYS a better option than waiting for less time but losing quality, IMO.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    URP is not just cheaper and faster. They're huge, innovative, and have been pressing quality records since the 40s. Never heard a bad pressing from TMR. A lot of MOV stuff is pressed at URP as well. Bluenote, UMe, Sony/Legacy, Capitol, & SST are all pressed there.
  • Options
    BrothermoonBrothermoon West Kelowna, BC, Canada Posts: 475

URP is not just cheaper and faster. They're huge, innovative, and have been pressing quality records since the 40s. Never heard a bad pressing from TMR. A lot of MOV stuff is pressed at URP as well. Bluenote, UMe, Sony/Legacy, Capitol, & SST are all pressed there.

How do you find out where an album was pressed?
  • Options

I dunno. I still haven't ever seen anything to suggest that they are two of the best presses in the world.
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,940
    PJ_Soul said:

I dunno. I still haven't ever seen anything to suggest that they are two of the best presses in the world.
    I don't know about best press in the world, but if it's good enough for MOV it's good enough for me.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

United (URP) delivers pretty mixed quality in the last couple of years - as for US-plants I'd much rather go with RTI. MOV presses at their own facility (Record Industry in Holland), I think the stuff they license (from for example Sony/Legacy) gets pressed under the moniker of the label they license it from - and the US-equavilent of a MOV-release gets pressed in the US for the US market. I'd always go with the EU-release, but that's just my experience, others might have been better.

Also, "Lightning Bolt" was also pressed at GZ (the EU-version). It's ok, but the versions I've seen and heard are far from flawless.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    SK203708 said:

PJ_Soul said:

United (URP) delivers pretty mixed quality in the last couple of years - as for US-plants I'd much rather go with RTI. MOV presses at their own facility (Record Industry in Holland), I think the stuff they license (from for example Sony/Legacy) gets pressed under the moniker of the label they license it from - and the US-equavilent of a MOV-release gets pressed in the US for the US market. I'd always go with the EU-release, but that's just my experience, others might have been better.

Also, "Lightning Bolt" was also pressed at GZ (the EU-version). It's ok, but the versions I've seen and heard are far from flawless.
    I didn't realize they'd used it for Euro LB too. And issue with those too?
    Someone in the band or 10C must have a relative who works there, lol.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    PJ_Soul said:

SK203708 said:

PJ_Soul said:

I didn't realize they'd used it for Euro LB too. And issue with those too?
    Someone in the band or 10C must have a relative who works there, lol.
    I just double-checked to be sure. It was pressed at GZ and although the sound (meaning the quality of the pressing like crackles, pops etc.- not the source) is ok (i'd give it a C minus because there are quite some issues) the look of the record is just obnoxious. Fingerprint all over and many spots that just look like something odd dried there (and this is after cleaning it about 5 or 6 times!) 2nd. copy btw. First one was even worse. When I think about it - I should return it and try a third copy. But with GZ I don't think it's worth the hassle.

Post edited by SK203708 on
  • Options
    Alpine BoundAlpine Bound Posts: 1,809
    benjs said:

Duncs said:

If anyone bought an extra of this and would like to help a friend out. Please let me know. Thanks.

Duncs,

I contacted Easy Street who told me they're expecting their full order and that I wouldn't have a problem (placed my order yesterday after Santos revealed that Amazon wouldn't be on the reseller list). Sounds like you can do the same :)
    I purchased one on easy street this evening. Went back just now and the LP is no longer on the site... Hope my order is fulfilled
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    PJ_Soul said:

Oh now you're just being hard-headed! :tongue:
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul don't need a helmet. She's got a hard, hard head.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,984
    URP isn't one of the best in the world, but they are the biggest.

• Options
    dankind said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul don't need a helmet. She's got a hard, hard head.
    Better than soft I guess. ;)
  • Options
    Horse2345Horse2345 Posts: 3,234
    The Red Nirvana unplugged pressed at Pallas is considered one of the best sounding records out there so they must do a good job.
    UBC 92, Vancouver 93, Vancouver 98, Seattle 02, Vancouver 03, Vancouver 05, Gorge 06, Gorge 06,Seattle 09,Seattle 09, Vancouver09, Montreal 11, Toronto 11,Toronto 11, Vancouver 11,Vancouver 13, Seattle 13
  • Options
    Just a heads up to everyone who is waiting on the vinyl, Apple Music is streaming the album if you subscribe.
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    "Spin Spin....spin the dirty, warped, shit sounding circle...spin, spin"!!!!!
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options

"Spin Spin....spin the dirty, warped, shit sounding circle...spin, spin"!!!!!

:giggle:
  • Options
    PSUS2HPSUS2H USA Posts: 2,049
    I still dont understand why so many people think these are going to be junk LP's because they were pressed in Czech Republic.....? We haven't even heard or seen them yet.
    Pittsburgh, PA September 28, 2005 || Washington, DC June 22, 2008 || Barstow, VA May 13, 2010 || Seattle, WA  August 10, 2018 || Dana Point, CA September 29, 2018 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 28, 2019 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 25, 2021 (EV) || Dana Point, CA October 1, 2021 || Dana Point, CA October 2, 2021 
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,935
    Who's running Pearl Jam's Facebook page? The LP (vinyl) is not available @ the 10club store. The CD is.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    PSUS2H said:

I still dont understand why so many people think these are going to be junk LP's because they were pressed in Czech Republic.....? We haven't even heard or seen them yet.

I don't feel like that is what anyone is saying. The hope is that they will be perfect. It's just that we've had a bad experience so don't get why 10C would go back to them again in general. That doesn't mean they're going to necessarily fuck up this release.
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,191
    PSUS2H said:

Just hope they get their air conditioning fixed soon.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    edited August 2015
    lolobugg said:

PSUS2H said:

Just hope they get their air conditioning fixed soon.
    Lol! I was thinking about that too.... I don't understand how a heatwave can halt production if they are such a great, huge company. What kind of facilities do they have that they can't keep running when it's 102F outside? Kind of strange... Surely a place that makes and stores vinyl has temperature control??
  • Options
    SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 1,998
    Hmm, Easy Street stopped taking pre-orders on this sometime this week. Wonder if my pre-order from 5 days ago will go through...
  • Options
    PSUS2HPSUS2H USA Posts: 2,049
    A lot of CIMS members stopped yesterday
    Pittsburgh, PA September 28, 2005 || Washington, DC June 22, 2008 || Barstow, VA May 13, 2010 || Seattle, WA  August 10, 2018 || Dana Point, CA September 29, 2018 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 28, 2019 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 25, 2021 (EV) || Dana Point, CA October 1, 2021 || Dana Point, CA October 2, 2021 
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    It's Czechoslovakia. It's like going into Wisconsin.