PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
edited December 2015 in All Encompassing Trip
Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on

Comments

• hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    I just keep getting irritating pop-ups promoting it. After the fourth time, I know the option to upgrade is there!

Besides the speed, are there other material differences?
  • hedonist said:

I hope others may chime in.
    But for me yes.
    Since I upgraded It feels like the technology and interface slowed a little to let me catch up.
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Posts: 14,352
    I did, when I first got the option, I love upgrading. I am on Windows 7. I really liked it and it went smooth, but some of my clients haven't updated their software to it yet, so I had to go back to Windows 7. I hope they get their stuff resolved so I can upgrade again.
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,627

hedonist said:

But for me yes.
    Since I upgraded It feels like the technology and interface slowed a little to let me catch up.
    Yes, other please post your thoughts. I hate upgrading (my brain would rather be learning new authors, titles, chord changes etc.) but eventually will probably give in.

The advantages of 10 sound good but what about disadvantages, difficulties, complications etc., if any?

Thanks!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• brianlux said:

hedonist said:

But for me yes.
    Yes, other please post your thoughts. I hate upgrading (my brain would rather be learning new authors, titles, chord changes etc.) but eventually will probably give in.

The advantages of 10 sound good but what about disadvantages, difficulties, complications etc., if any?

Thanks!

I upgraded both cpus at my house hassle free. A laptop and a desktop. It's great that you can choose to keep software and files already on your computer. I would still back them up and write down the product key to any software you may have purchased just in case there's a problem.

Negatives. This is the most invasive version of Windows to date as they are really trying to push the cloud storage and always logged in online mobile approach. They have an "app" store that is always pushing apps for youtube and skype etc, things that are unnecessary since a full browser is readily available. They want constant access by default to your location and your files, making it a pain in the ass to go through and turn off "permissions". Unfortunately, It's where computers are headed.

The good. It is less of a resource hog and is designed to run on bare minimum equipment. Like pjfan, our five year old laptop is like new and I am actually ordering a new battery for it instead of junking it like I planned recently. You have time to decide so research it a little and see if it makes sense for you. If you want to get a few more years out of a cpu that's bogged down it is worth it. You have thirty days to revert back if you don't like it as it stores your previous os. If you keep it, you can delete the old os and free up quite a few gbs. It really is a light version. Only about 14GB of hard drive space I believe. Windows 7 was over 40? On our laptop.
  • Thank you for posting this personal review on ghe PJFan.. As I am
    Looking into a new laptop and haven't used Windows since Windows8... So I
    Hope any new system I get will be easily manageable..
  • Thank you for posting this personal review on ghe PJFan.. As I am
    Looking into a new laptop and haven't used Windows since Windows8... So I
    Hope any new system I get will be easily manageable..

Ten is an improvement on 8. It takes the best of both 7 and 8.1 and adds some new stuff, but it's still windows. You shouldn't have any trouble adjusting.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    I'm still going to wait...I'll let them work out the bugs then maybe DL...I really like 7.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • InHiding80InHiding80 Posts: 7,623
    edited August 2015
    It's much better than 8 which was way too complicated.

However, I've been billed for 4 payments to Microsoft that I never made at all averaging around $50 per bill yesterday which really pissed me off. Once it stops being in pending mode at my bank website, I'm gonna dispute immediately. I should be lucky last midnight was payday because I'm not having this at all. I've got $230 lost in one day because of these assholes.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,896
    is it comparable to a Mac OS of, say, four years ago?
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,760
    I want to but it doesn't support windows media center. And I like recording tv shows from local channels. And the alternatives suck.
    I miss igotid88
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    I bought a fancy laptop last year and tolerated 8.1 this whole time. I got the update notice for 10 but it just says it's downloading in the background. I'm not getting anywhere with it.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,760
    I requested before some people and still haven't gotten it yet. Or at least the option to download it
    I miss igotid88
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,627
    Thanks for the input all. I'll wait a while yet and see how it goes.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• imalive said:

Elitist.
  • ldent42 said:

I bought a fancy laptop last year and tolerated 8.1 this whole time. I got the update notice for 10 but it just says it's downloading in the background. I'm not getting anywhere with it.

You don't have to wait.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    Yea I wasn't getting the win 10 update cuz u had to run regular Windows update first. I've upgraded to Windows 10.

And now my mouse/touchpad doesn't work. I mean it didn't show up at all so I restarted and it froze after 10 seconds. I got annoyed and walked away.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • deadendpdeadendp Posts: 10,434
    I love my iMac.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    I last used Windows 98 - never going back again.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,896

imalive said:

Elitist.
    he was asking for it. you know how us mac assholes are.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • imalive said:

imalive said:

Elitist.
    he was asking for it. you know how us mac assholes are.
    Hahaha, yes I do. I know that Mac runs a great OS on higher end machines. I also know I can buy a higher end pc with equal or better hardware for less money, and I can plug almost any device into it and access it out of the box.

I had a long conversation with a business professor who also has a masters in computer sciences(?) last semester. He told me how he learned that Apple had reached a rare level of marketing where people think their device is an extension of them. Opened my eyes a little since I've grown up using both. Great machines that you over pay for. There really isn't much I can't do with a higher end pc. PCs get a bad rap because there are so many bargain models out there running shitty hardware.
  • Will I lose my files if I upgrade?
    Can I revert back to Windows 7 if I don't like it?
    It says my PC is compatible on the pop and I see my soundcard has a win 10 driver ready.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited November 2015
    Hi

I don't have a solid answer just an opinion.
    My PC is a dell xps and I am still getting the pop up. I am still waiting to be notified when it will be compatible.
    My laptop went perfect and I lost nothing.
    Files, well like anything you can lose them at anytime but I am 99.9% certain you will not lose your files during the switch. I didn't on my laptop.
    I am waiting to switch once I get notification my PC is ready.
    It's a new interface for sure but speed on startup time is noticeable.
    I have an option button to revert to windows seven on the new desktop option.
    My Laptop is like new and am very happy.
  • Cool. My PC has been a bit sluggish as of late. It's a 6 year old PC. I think I will do it!
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    i did the upgrade who hasnt
  • It's much better than 8 which was way too complicated.

However, I've been billed for 4 payments to Microsoft that I never made at all averaging around $50 per bill yesterday which really pissed me off. Once it stops being in pending mode at my bank website, I'm gonna dispute immediately. I should be lucky last midnight was payday because I'm not having this at all. I've got $230 lost in one day because of these assholes.

wtf, what do you mean? You had to pay for the 'free' upgrade?
  • I just started the process, I have to wait to get notified when I can upgrade.
    How long did you all have to wait after reserving your upgrade?
  • I just started the process, I have to wait to get notified when I can upgrade.
    How long did you all have to wait after reserving your upgrade?

My laptop was so fast I literally can't remember.
    My PC has been since April.
  • Since April? Oh what. Damn. I don't want to wait long, I want it now lol
  • Since April? Oh what. Damn. I don't want to wait long, I want it now lol

You said you PC is compatible so it should be ready now.
This discussion has been closed.