What's up with the millenials anyway?

2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
A great read...I work in higher ed and have noticed this trend.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/09/the-coddling-of-the-american-mind/399356/

www.cluthelee.com

Comments

• Yeah a co-worker and I were just discussing this.. It's dumbing down our future generations. Very very sad indeed. We will be living out the plot to the movie Idiocracy very soon at this rate..
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass Posts: 12,329
    I read barstoolsports.com daily and they'll blog every so often about something like this. It'll fall under the title: Pussification of America

I would think you'd want to be put in stressful situations so you'll learn how to deal with them. Avoiding them all together is not the answer.
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • I have said it before and I will say it again. Bullies serve a purpose in society. I don't mean bullying to the point of making kids suicidal, but bullies are who taught you to toughen up so to say. This is not ok and will kill this country. You know who I really feel bad for, drill instructors in our military. I couldn't imagine taking this generation and trying to turn them into well oiled killing machines.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Well...look at all of the technology in place already to assist those who shouldn't need it - autocorrect on your phone, rear-view cameras in your car, back-up sensors, sensors telling you when you're DRIFTING INTO THE NEXT LANE, and on.

Kind of odd how "sensor" and "censor" are somewhat similar.

It all reminds me of the Beatles' Think for Yourself.
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,835

You know who I really feel bad for, drill instructors in our military. I couldn't imagine taking this generation and trying to turn them into well oiled killing machines.

Don't worry. Plenty of redneck kids/parents still out there.

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • InHiding80InHiding80 Posts: 7,623
    At least Xers had taste in music and wanted their rock to actually "ROCK" but today this generation wants everything stripped of edge and we get Pat Boone definitions of "rock" no thanks to Maroon 5, One Republic and Imagine Dragons ffs. They want everything Disneyfied now. Bella from Twilight is now considered a feminist icon for today, goddamnit. I'm not for straight up extreme feminazi-ism since I'm a straight guy but today's Kartrashian and 50 Shades loving girls have no self respect at all and it sickens me.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Posts: 16,427
    It always disgusts me when I read a story about some little league or high school coach who gets fined or suspended or fired for his/her team beating the living snot out of an opposing team. This everyone gets a trophy bullshit is sickening!
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859

At least Xers had taste in music and wanted their rock to actually "ROCK" but today this generation wants everything stripped of edge and we get Pat Boone definitions of "rock" no thanks to Maroon 5, One Republic and Imagine Dragons ffs. They want everything Disneyfied now. Bella from Twilight is now considered a feminist icon for today, goddamnit. I'm not for straight up extreme feminazi-ism since I'm a straight guy but today's Kartrashian and 50 Shades loving girls have no self respect at all and it sickens me.

Whoever told you that Bella from Twilight is a feminist icon was fucking with you. There could be 300 more waves before they reach a point where the classic damsel in distress is a feminist icon.

Also, youse sound like a bunch of old people complaining about the youths.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
    "All that's sacred ..."
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,822

It always disgusts me when I read a story about some little league or high school coach who gets fined or suspended or fired for his/her team beating the living snot out of an opposing team. This everyone gets a trophy bullshit is sickening!

The participation trophy generation. My cousin's 8 year old son got a trophy for his soccer team that finished in 10th place out of 10 teams. I just don't get it....
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237

The participation trophy generation. My cousin's 8 year old son got a trophy for his soccer team that finished in 10th place out of 10 teams. I just don't get it....
    We are raising kids to be oversensitive about everything - the article highlights how this can play out into early adulthood and in higher education.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    It bleeds into the workplace as well. My husband was telling me about a new-hire, a young man fresh out of college, who's already pushing for a promotion and raise - he doesn't even have the experience needed! Yet there's a sense of entitlement.

I also wonder about this young generation of children whose parents coo at everything they do, who have them pose for pics on social media, who seem to be self-aware and sexualized WAY so early.

Perhaps over- / unnecessarily medicating for "normal" experiences and times of life plays a part as well...?

We are raising kids to be oversensitive about everything - the article highlights how this can play out into early adulthood and in higher education.
    It's a great article, Chris. Thanks for sharing.

Every time I give up on The Atlantic, it cranks out a stellar piece like this.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,888
    I work at a university, and the millennials are driving me fucking crazy. I feel pissed off at their parents a lot.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    ''they missed alot of spaces'' and probably dont fully understand the issue but its probably being resolved
  • InHiding80InHiding80 Posts: 7,623
    edited August 2015
    ldent42 said:

Whoever told you that Bella from Twilight is a feminist icon was fucking with you. There could be 300 more waves before they reach a point where the classic damsel in distress is a feminist icon.

And you sound like a millennial ignoramus. I've felt this way for 16 years since I gradated high school ffs. But keep telling yourself that it's hyperbolic when it's the actual harsh truth I'm speaking if it helps you sleep at night.

John Lennon said it best. The more real you get, the more fake the world and those around you are.
    Post edited by InHiding80 on
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass Posts: 12,329
    AET joke time....

Rob is a millenial......of the 1900's

I'll see myself out
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
    hedonist said:

It bleeds into the workplace as well. My husband was telling me about a new-hire, a young man fresh out of college, who's already pushing for a promotion and raise - he doesn't even have the experience needed! Yet there's a sense of entitlement.

I also wonder about this young generation of children whose parents coo at everything they do, who have them pose for pics on social media, who seem to be self-aware and sexualized WAY so early.

Perhaps over- / unnecessarily medicating for "normal" experiences and times of life plays a part as well...?

Excellent points here in bold! The only social media I use is instagram, because I enjoy photography. But I see parents posting their kids doing every little thing possible on their profiles. The ones that really get me are the parents who have specific hashtag nicknames for their children like they are some kind of object of possession instead of a person. You don't have to put #myperfectgentleman on every picture of little Johnny.
    Don't even get me started with the stick figure families on backs of cars...
    We want our kids to be safe, yet we advertise where they are and what they're doing, what clubs they're in or sports they play, etc 'round the clock.
  • AET joke time....

I'll see myself out

:grimacing:
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • RibbertronRibbertron Posts: 163
    Yea this is a problem for sure.

hedonist said:

Excellent points here in bold! The only social media I use is instagram, because I enjoy photography. But I see parents posting their kids doing every little thing possible on their profiles. The ones that really get me are the parents who have specific hashtag nicknames for their children like they are some kind of object of possession instead of a person. You don't have to put #myperfectgentleman on every picture of little Johnny.
    We want our kids to be safe, yet we advertise where they are and what they're doing, what clubs they're in or sports they play, etc 'round the clock.
    What's wrong with stick figure families on cars? I am not a fan of them either but I don't see how this relates to being problematic for a child's upbringing.

hedonist said:

What's wrong with stick figure families on cars? I am not a fan of them either but I don't see how this relates to being problematic for a child's upbringing.
    A potential molester/abuser now knows the person driving the vehicle has children, knows how many kids there are, and whether they're boys or girls, and possibly what sports they play or club they're in (I've seen many sets that have little footballs or soccer balls or megaphones next to the child's sticker). The criminal performs surveillance on the vehicle to learn the patterns of where and when the parent is taking the kids, looking for weak spots and opportunities to kidnap/molest/etc.
    That's not to say a criminal wouldn't do that anyway for a vehicle without the stickers and I'm not trying to victim blame here but, if I had kids, I think I'd keep my vanity in check for the sake of protecting my children that little extra bit.

AET joke time....

I'll see myself out

:rofl:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata

hedonist said:

Nothing - those family sticker things on cars are simply a safety risk if you're worried about burglars. It's an advertisement for how many people are supposed to be in your house, which is, in turn, a key for figuring out when your house is empty.
    PJ_Soul said:

hedonist said:

Nothing - those family sticker things on cars are simply a safety risk if you're worried about burglars. It's an advertisement for how many people are supposed to be in your house, which is, in turn, a key for figuring out when your house is empty.
    See my reply above. It goes a bit deeper than burgling an empty house.

PJ_Soul said:

hedonist said:

I read it. I just didn't address it because I didn't agree that it's particularly reflective of the issue you're talking about. I was just saying what my opinion is about the family stickers. :)
  • RibbertronRibbertron Posts: 163

hedonist said:

A potential molester/abuser now knows the person driving the vehicle has children, knows how many kids there are, and whether they're boys or girls, and possibly what sports they play or club they're in (I've seen many sets that have little footballs or soccer balls or megaphones next to the child's sticker). The criminal performs surveillance on the vehicle to learn the patterns of where and when the parent is taking the kids, looking for weak spots and opportunities to kidnap/molest/etc.
    That's not to say a criminal wouldn't do that anyway for a vehicle without the stickers and I'm not trying to victim blame here but, if I had kids, I think I'd keep my vanity in check for the sake of protecting my children that little extra bit.
    Excellent points by both, I never thought of it like that, but I am not a parent. Nor am I a burglar or molester.

If I were a parent, I would probably get one of those stick figure families that is zombie themed. Ain't no one gonna wanna molest a zombie child.

• stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,365
    edited August 2015
    "A potential molester/abuser now knows the person driving the vehicle has children, knows how many kids there are, and whether they're boys or girls, and possibly what sports they play or club they're in (I've seen many sets that have little footballs or soccer balls or megaphones next to the child's sticker). The criminal performs surveillance on the vehicle to learn the patterns of where and when the parent is taking the kids, looking for weak spots and opportunities to kidnap/molest/etc."

I've seen football, soccer ball, dance and megaphone decals with the child's name on the cars/vans.

(Damn quote feature)
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,420
    HBO Real Sports did a segment this month about 'everybody gets a trophy' - it was pretty good. i don't advocate violence but some of the supporters of this in youth sports could use a good ass kicking. we've taught a generation that participation and not achievement is cause for celebration. it's awful.
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

hedonist said:

I read it. I just didn't address it because I didn't agree that it's particularly reflective of the issue you're talking about. I was just saying what my opinion is about the family stickers. :)
    Gotcha. What makes it reflective to the topic, in my opinion, is that it is a form of vanity being expressed by the parents. "I'm gonna tell the world what my family looks like by putting stickers on my car." As if anyone cares that some stranger's family consists of two adults, a son, two daughters, a dog, & a cat and that you're all Penn State fans.
    So, the vanity is starting with parents. The whole "look at me, look at us, were important" attitude. And that is what the kids grow up around. Constantly needing & demanding the attention be on them. Granted, there are many other facets in which that same attitude is instilled in our kids. This was just one example. And yeah, I guess my point above about kidnappers is more of a side effect of that, but those stickers are a prime example of the "me me me" culture of this generation. :wink:
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859

ldent42 said:

And you sound like a millennial ignoramus. I've felt this way for 16 years since I gradated high school ffs. But keep telling yourself that it's hyperbolic when it's the actual harsh truth I'm speaking if it helps you sleep at night.

John Lennon said it best. The more real you get, the more fake the world and those around you are.
    LOL
    If you "gradated" HS 16 years ago then congrats you're about 5 years older than this millennial ignoramus.

It's worthing mentioning, in case for some reason anyone else in here didn't get it, I wasn't disagreeing with the opinions in this thread. I was laughing at the fact that it's a whole thread dedicated to "These kids these days!"

I don't gotta disagree with something to laugh at it.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435