What's up with the millenials anyway?

2»

Comments

• PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Yea this is a problem for sure.

hedonist said:

It bleeds into the workplace as well. My husband was telling me about a new-hire, a young man fresh out of college, who's already pushing for a promotion and raise - he doesn't even have the experience needed! Yet there's a sense of entitlement.

I also wonder about this young generation of children whose parents coo at everything they do, who have them pose for pics on social media, who seem to be self-aware and sexualized WAY so early.

Perhaps over- / unnecessarily medicating for "normal" experiences and times of life plays a part as well...?

Excellent points here in bold! The only social media I use is instagram, because I enjoy photography. But I see parents posting their kids doing every little thing possible on their profiles. The ones that really get me are the parents who have specific hashtag nicknames for their children like they are some kind of object of possession instead of a person. You don't have to put #myperfectgentleman on every picture of little Johnny.
    Don't even get me started with the stick figure families on backs of cars...
    We want our kids to be safe, yet we advertise where they are and what they're doing, what clubs they're in or sports they play, etc 'round the clock.
    What's wrong with stick figure families on cars? I am not a fan of them either but I don't see how this relates to being problematic for a child's upbringing.
    Nothing - those family sticker things on cars are simply a safety risk if you're worried about burglars. It's an advertisement for how many people are supposed to be in your house, which is, in turn, a key for figuring out when your house is empty.
    See my reply above. It goes a bit deeper than burgling an empty house.
    I read it. I just didn't address it because I didn't agree that it's particularly reflective of the issue you're talking about. I was just saying what my opinion is about the family stickers. :)
    Gotcha. What makes it reflective to the topic, in my opinion, is that it is a form of vanity being expressed by the parents. "I'm gonna tell the world what my family looks like by putting stickers on my car." As if anyone cares that some stranger's family consists of two adults, a son, two daughters, a dog, & a cat and that you're all Penn State fans.
    So, the vanity is starting with parents. The whole "look at me, look at us, were important" attitude. And that is what the kids grow up around. Constantly needing & demanding the attention be on them. Granted, there are many other facets in which that same attitude is instilled in our kids. This was just one example. And yeah, I guess my point above about kidnappers is more of a side effect of that, but those stickers are a prime example of the "me me me" culture of this generation. :wink:
    I blame social media. Hey look at what I'm eating. Here, read my idiotic thoughts. Hey look, I'm on vacation, please come break into my house while we are away.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524

I blame social media. Hey look at what I'm eating. Here, read my idiotic thoughts. Hey look, I'm on vacation, please come break into my house while we are away.

It's not necessarily social media, but those who (ab)use it. Totally with you though on the mindset.

So thankful my family isn't into it, otherwise I'd be SO fucked.

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    The bit on increased political polarization is interesting.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844

Yea this is a problem for sure.

hedonist said:

It bleeds into the workplace as well. My husband was telling me about a new-hire, a young man fresh out of college, who's already pushing for a promotion and raise - he doesn't even have the experience needed! Yet there's a sense of entitlement.

I also wonder about this young generation of children whose parents coo at everything they do, who have them pose for pics on social media, who seem to be self-aware and sexualized WAY so early.

Perhaps over- / unnecessarily medicating for "normal" experiences and times of life plays a part as well...?

Excellent points here in bold! The only social media I use is instagram, because I enjoy photography. But I see parents posting their kids doing every little thing possible on their profiles. The ones that really get me are the parents who have specific hashtag nicknames for their children like they are some kind of object of possession instead of a person. You don't have to put #myperfectgentleman on every picture of little Johnny.
    Don't even get me started with the stick figure families on backs of cars...
    We want our kids to be safe, yet we advertise where they are and what they're doing, what clubs they're in or sports they play, etc 'round the clock.
    What's wrong with stick figure families on cars? I am not a fan of them either but I don't see how this relates to being problematic for a child's upbringing.
    A potential molester/abuser now knows the person driving the vehicle has children, knows how many kids there are, and whether they're boys or girls, and possibly what sports they play or club they're in (I've seen many sets that have little footballs or soccer balls or megaphones next to the child's sticker). The criminal performs surveillance on the vehicle to learn the patterns of where and when the parent is taking the kids, looking for weak spots and opportunities to kidnap/molest/etc.
    That's not to say a criminal wouldn't do that anyway for a vehicle without the stickers and I'm not trying to victim blame here but, if I had kids, I think I'd keep my vanity in check for the sake of protecting my children that little extra bit.
    You know what's the most dangerous thing about this whole scenario?

The fact that the parents are driving the kids in the car.

Sorry to break into the melodrama, but it's true; deaths, injury or trauma from motor vehicle accidents are many orders of magnitude higher than those from child molesters who are strangers to the family.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf