"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Makes you wonder how much I'm overpaying my dentist.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,570
    edited July 2015
    JK_Livin said:

$50,000 just to kill a lion does seem pretty rich for a dentist. But he could be wealthy through other channels of course. Maybe he comes from money, owns a second business, etc. How much money he has is really neither here nor there (unless he's come into it illegally).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    JK_Livin said:

true that

for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

JK_Livin said:

$50,000 just to kill a lion does seem pretty rich for a dentist. But he could be wealthy through other channels of course. Maybe he comes from money, owns a second business, etc. How much money he has is really neither here nor there (unless he's come into it illegally).
    I think money has a lot to do with it. Some but not all feel money is power and use it the wrong way.
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    edited July 2015
    PJ_Soul said:

JK_Livin said:

My cousin is married to a guy that goes on safaris and brings back "trophies". Not big game, but his high ceiling living room would make Ace Ventura do this ...

I'm not sure if I was more confused that someone would like to put a bunch of dead animals all over their walls or trying to reason why they would pay so much money to put dead animals all over their walls. And it wasn't like the guy had tons of money.

The other confusing thing is that the guy seemed to like animals (living) about 100X more then me.
    Post edited by Jason P on
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,808
    So I get up today and read a story about a guy who landed a 1300lb. Marlin, off the coast of Hawaii. I think it was Hawaii. Anyway, granted Marlins are not an endangered species, how does everyone feel about this? They showed the Marlin on the back of a pickup truck, dying, or dead. Pretty sure this fish is going to end up on a wall, in this guys house.

How do you feel about this?
    No issues with this?
    Big issues with this?

And just so everyone knows, I think the dentist is a piece of fucking garbage.
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123

So I get up today and read a story about a guy who landed a 1300lb. Marlin, off the coast of Hawaii. I think it was Hawaii. Anyway, granted Marlins are not an endangered species, how does everyone feel about this? They showed the Marlin on the back of a pickup truck, dying, or dead. Pretty sure this fish is going to end up on a wall, in this guys house.

No issues with this?
    Big issues with this?

According to Kurt Cobain, fish don't have feelings so it's OK to eat them.
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    chadwick said:

ted is an idiot

fixed
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    Fish don't have souls.

Except for whales and dolphins
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    There are over 100,000 signatures on on a petition to extradite this guy for killing a lion. Yet when 20 plus 7 and 8 year old children are murdered, 200 people won't sign a petition for congress to pass gun control laws. Sickening.
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:
    Ok, let me find it. A south Carolina petition was started and it drew very few signatures.
  • Options
    I just looked it up and there were well over 100K to close some loophole in South Carolina. It also doesn't help that this occurred in 'gun country'.

This game to pass judgement on people because they are bothered by a story like this.... but not bothered (that you know of) by story _________ is extremely lame by the way.
  • Options
    lotsalemonlotsalemon Boston Posts: 2,734

No issues with this?
    Big issues with this?

Marlins aren't furry so no one cares about them :)

I jest...but you bring up a good point. This probably wouldn't have batted an eye (like the hundreds of other trophy hunts that happen), except the circumstances around this particular incident put it on a different level...luring an animal off a reserve to kill it. What he and his group did was illegal. It's poaching at that point.
    Mansfield 06.28.2008 | Boston 05.17.2010 | Boston 06.19.2011 EV solo | Wrigley Field 07.19.2013 | Worcester 10.15.2013 | Worcester 10.16.2013 | Hartford 10.25.2013
    Vancouver 12.04.2013 | Seattle 12.06.2013 | Memphis 10.14.2014 | Quebec City 05.05.2016 | Ottawa 05.08.2016 | Toronto 05.11.2016 | Boston 08.05.2016 | Boston 08.07.2016 | Amsterdam 06.12.2018 | Boston 09.02.2018 | Boston 09.04.2018

• Options
    Authorities are apparently looking for him, and Zimbabwe has asked for him to be extradited.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    MayDay10 said:

This game to pass judgement on people because they are bothered by a story like this.... but not bothered (that you know of) by story _________ is extremely lame by the way.

Not sure if Speedy was passing judgment but if so, I don't give a rat's ass :sunglasses:

Honestly though, thanks for this, MayDay. I'll be pissed off by what pisses me off. Not gonna justify to anyone; no need to.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    MayDay10 said:

I just looked it up and there were well over 100K to close some loophole in South Carolina. It also doesn't help that this occurred in 'gun country'.

No, it's not lame. What's lame is people getting this bothered by the killing of an animal more than they would if this was a human. Plus the hypocrisy of violence for violence I've been seeing.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,754
    R.I.P. Cecil.

What a travesty. I do not envy this man's massively bad karma.

MayDay10 said:

No, it's not lame. What's lame is people getting this bothered by the killing of an animal more than they would if this was a human. Plus the hypocrisy of violence for violence I've been seeing.
    If you took the emotional side of it out, one could say "Well, at least humans are not endangered (yet) the way lions are." We don't (at least most) don't think that way.

But seriously, that to me is a big part of the point- that a human, purely for his own warped sense of pleasure, would kill this beautiful and endangered animal. And on a purely biological level, it would be healthier for fewer lion to be shot and more human to be eaten by lions. I can think of one dentist who who do well to at least be a sacrificial offering that way.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    I don't know what the laws are concerning hunting these animals. It's obviously legal in Zimbabwe. Is there any evidence that he killed this lion on protected grounds? Is "luring" the same as a deer Hunter putting out corn during deer season? Or was he just saying "come here kitty kitty?"

What evidence is there that he broke the law? I know the guides were in some trouble.
  • Options
    brianlux said:

R.I.P. Cecil.

What a travesty. I do not envy this man's massively bad karma.

MayDay10 said:

If you took the emotional side of it out, one could say "Well, at least humans are not endangered (yet) the way lions are." We don't (at least most) don't think that way.

But seriously, that to me is a big part of the point- that a human, purely for his own warped sense of pleasure, would kill this beautiful and endangered animal. And on a purely biological level, it would be healthier for fewer lion to be shot and more human to be eaten by lions. I can think of one dentist who who do well to at least be a sacrificial offering that way.

To that I will reply that we are on top of the food chain. Of course we are not endangered.
  • Options
    davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    And where is that same out rage right here in this country over planned parent hood doing the same thing with babies? Defenseless babies, they kill them like shooting fish in a barrel and then sell the body parts- don't care that much about the lion in Africa actually, there's worse things going on right here in USA - a disgrace! Talk about making God angry!!!!!
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

I don't know what the laws are concerning hunting these animals. It's obviously legal in Zimbabwe. Is there any evidence that he killed this lion on protected grounds? Is "luring" the same as a deer Hunter putting out corn during deer season? Or was he just saying "come here kitty kitty?"

What evidence is there that he broke the law? I know the guides were in some trouble.

Last-12, I believe it's legal in parts of Zimbabwe (and the lure was more than cooing).

But what about basic morality, ethics? I guess I just don't get it and likely never will.

Wound the animal, have it hurting, bleeding out for a day and a half, then shoot it, skin it, cut its head off, celebrate.

For what purpose?
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013

There are over 100,000 signatures on on a petition to extradite this guy for killing a lion. Yet when 20 plus 7 and 8 year old children are murdered, 200 people won't sign a petition for congress to pass gun control laws. Sickening.

Actually here in my state, there was a bill that recently passed "closing the gun show loophole". Basically you didn't need a background check to buy a gun online or at a show, now you do-we have a 3 day waiting period for buying guns.

On the national level, there are many many many states that support the NRA, so that's why you aren't going to get more gun control that way.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options

And where is that same out rage right here in this country over planned parent hood doing the same thing with babies? Defenseless babies, they kill them like shooting fish in a barrel and then sell the body parts- don't care that much about the lion in Africa actually, there's worse things going on right here in USA - a disgrace! Talk about making God angry!!!!!

Planned parenthood is a wonderful program. In no way shape or form does it need to go anywhere. Thank whatever God you pray to for this place.
  • Options
    hedonist said:

Last-12, I believe it's legal in parts of Zimbabwe (and the lure was more than cooing).

But what about basic morality, ethics? I guess I just don't get it and likely never will.

Wound the animal, have it hurting, bleeding out for a day and a half, then shoot it, skin it, cut its head off, celebrate.

For what purpose?
    Being morally wrong and having bad ethics won't get this guy extradited. Did he do something illegal?
  • Options
    RKCNDY said:

Actually here in my state, there was a bill that recently passed "closing the gun show loophole". Basically you didn't need a background check to buy a gun online or at a show, now you do-we have a 3 day waiting period for buying guns.

On the national level, there are many many many states that support the NRA, so that's why you aren't going to get more gun control that way.
    I wish that would happen in SC
  • Options

Religion has nothing to do with this or anything else.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    animals are innocent & can't truly defend themselves against arrows & bullets. a shit ton of humans are many things quite unpleasant. smoking a lion for shits & giggles, removing its head & hide to grow one's weiner a bit & getting a puffy chest around his brandy glass holdin drinkin buddies w/ their high dollar cigars being lit & bunk ass personalities while wedging their noses up walter's ass... life is good being a piece of shit. just ask idiots like the little clown dentist & his pals.

truth is life is catching up with the sick freak walter. i see difficult times ahead for walt
    Post edited by chadwick on

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    hanging a marlin on the wall is stupid as shit