Options

Are we headed for another crash in the stock market ?

13»

Comments

• Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056

rgambs said:

I invest good compost into my soil. I invest in solid tools which won't wear out. I invest my time and energy in growing and learning. Most everything else is liable to make you a fool.
    The stock market is a gambling venture, not an investment.

If we have another REAL crash, I will sit back on my fruits and vegetables and laugh at all the fools whose empty pockets leave them bereft.

The stock market historically performs. Investing should be age/goal/risk based. If you are approaching retirement your investments should not be in anything volatile so that if/when a crash/correction occurs you have time to recover from it.

People that didn't panic during the last crash are in good shape. My retirement account has doubled in 20 years from growth in the market.
    That's the long and short of it, basically...in response to gamb's post....being set up to be self-sustaining is important and admirable, but even if you have a paid-in-full home, and your own food/utility sources, you still need money to live. Property taxes, medical expenses...the possibility of needing hospice care or whatever....even if you don't live an extravagent lifestyle, you'll probably still want to do some travelling. Once you lose your income by retiring, how are these expenses covered if not thru savings? Where do people put there savings if not in stocks, real estate, gold, or cash? Every one of those options carries a certain level of risk.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,354

rgambs said:

I invest good compost into my soil. I invest in solid tools which won't wear out. I invest my time and energy in growing and learning. Most everything else is liable to make you a fool.

If we have another REAL crash, I will sit back on my fruits and vegetables and laugh at all the fools whose empty pockets leave them bereft.

The stock market historically performs. Investing should be age/goal/risk based. If you are approaching retirement your investments should not be in anything volatile so that if/when a crash/correction occurs you have time to recover from it.

People that didn't panic during the last crash are in good shape. My retirement account has doubled in 20 years from growth in the market.
    That's the long and short of it, basically...in response to gamb's post....being set up to be self-sustaining is important and admirable, but even if you have a paid-in-full home, and your own food/utility sources, you still need money to live. Property taxes, medical expenses...the possibility of needing hospice care or whatever....even if you don't live an extravagent lifestyle, you'll probably still want to do some travelling. Once you lose your income by retiring, how are these expenses covered if not thru savings? Where do people put there savings if not in stocks, real estate, gold, or cash? Every one of those options carries a certain level of risk.
    Besides my 403B I have with my job I put $$ into my whole life insurance policy my & wife do the same which we will be able to use at retirement age .....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    edited August 2015
    callen said:

rgambs said:

So the fools have extra $20k in bank. Have all tools they need. Cabinets stocked. Firewood stacked. What to do? Have thought about this a lot. Hate stocks Hate big business. Solutions?
    Good post cal.Im not getting all this talk about rejoicing while others loose money.Come on Gambsy.Whatcha going to pay for college for SG with? Cucumbers and apples.Cmon man your not that malicious.

Real estate,Bonds,low risk diversified funds.Lots of ways to bypass the volatility of pure stock investing.
    Post edited by rr165892 on
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    rr165892 said:

callen said:

rgambs said:

So the fools have extra $20k in bank. Have all tools they need. Cabinets stocked. Firewood stacked. What to do? Have thought about this a lot. Hate stocks Hate big business. Solutions?
    Good post cal.Im not getting all this talk about rejoicing while others loose money.Come on Gambsy.Whatcha going to pay for college for SG with? Cucumbers and apples.Cmon man your note that malicious.

Real estate,Bonds,low risk diversified funds.Lots of ways to bypass the volatility of pure stock investing.
    Little Gambsy probably isn't going to go to college, unless he has a very specific science-based career.
    It won't be affordable when he is old enough, and it isn't something we will push on him.
    I don't rejoice in people losing money, but I do have to chuckle when decisions made out of greed, not forethought and preparation, come back to bite people in the ass.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:

rr165892 said:

callen said:

rgambs said:

Good post cal.Im not getting all this talk about rejoicing while others loose money.Come on Gambsy.Whatcha going to pay for college for SG with? Cucumbers and apples.Cmon man your note that malicious.

Little Gambsy probably isn't going to go to college, unless he has a very specific science-based career.
    It won't be affordable when he is old enough, and it isn't something we will push on him.
    I don't rejoice in people losing money, but I do have to chuckle when decisions made out of greed, not forethought and preparation, come back to bite people in the ass.
    Ok,so with that way of thinking am I being a greedy pig because I want my wife to live safe and comfortable after I die?
    I try to think these things thru.I ask myself how do I maximize my investment dollars while limiting risk and out pacing inflation all while based on life expectancy and planning for the unknown.Everyone has advice on what works.Most are just as overwhelmed as the majority of us.We know enough,but really how to play the market? Not so much.
    I was told 1.2 million in investment principal while typically keep a person in a retirement income of about 100,000 a year.But how realistic is that for many folks? Espescially if your of retirement age and your portfolio is taking a hit.

• Options
    rr165892 said:

rgambs said:

rr165892 said:

callen said:

rgambs said:

Ok,so with that way of thinking am I being a greedy pig because I want my wife to live safe and comfortable after I die?
    I try to think these things thru.I ask myself how do I maximize my investment dollars while limiting risk and out pacing inflation all while based on life expectancy and planning for the unknown.Everyone has advice on what works.Most are just as overwhelmed as the majority of us.We know enough,but really how to play the market? Not so much.
    I was told 1.2 million in investment principal while typically keep a person in a retirement income of about 100,000 a year.But how realistic is that for many folks? Espescially if your of retirement age and your portfolio is taking a hit.

That is preparation and forethought. You aren't trying make as much fast money as you can right now, you are trying to find ways to save money up for the future.
    If that is your goal, the investments you make should be modest and dependable...hopefully you don't get swindled by a credit default swap scheme or the like, that's where the risk comes in.
    As you said, there are many ways to invest, the stock market is the worst IMO.
    People my age and younger will be wlucky to retire at all!
    Sustainability in lifestyle is more dependable than sustainability in funds.
    100,000$/year in retirement is outrageous to me. That sounds like gold toilet territory to me lol
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,150
    Today may have been the "dead cat bounce rally"…

We shall see tomorrow...
  • Options
    PJ_ROCKSPJ_ROCKS THE 406 Posts: 6,736
    just a speed bump, it should level off today.

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

2006 Denver 2 shows with Tom Petty 

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2012 Missoula : Meet and Greet : "Instant Classic show"

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

• Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    PJ_ROCKS said:

that's believeable.

Godfather.

• Options

PJ_ROCKS said:

that's believeable.

Godfather.

Yep
  • Options
    mixed signals for today...

glad to see i made back, some of the 12g i lost so far

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

• Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    edited August 2015
    PJ_ROCKS said:

Lots of gambling/games and no fundamentals. Would hope fundamentals take hold long. Imagine if you panicked monday and sold, booking the 12 g's.

Gotta suck being day trader.
    Post edited by callen on
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    ^^^ not sure if i'm reading this correct. I am not a day trader, that is what i have lost so far in my 401k, since the down fall over this last week.

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    rgambs said:

rr165892 said:

callen said:

rgambs said:

What if little Gambs wants to go into a non-science based career? These little ones have a way of growing up to have their own ideas about their lives.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    PJ_ROCKS said:

^^^ not sure if i'm reading this correct. I am not a day trader, that is what i have lost so far in my 401k, since the down fall over this last week.

Not directed at you at all. Just thinking of those that make living at anticipating market.
    Post edited by callen on
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    callen said:

PJ_ROCKS said:

Lots of gambling/games and no fundamentals. Would hope fundamentals take hold long. Imagine if you panicked monday and sold, booking the 12 g's.

you will / myself also will get it back, if it drops super low BUY MORE !

Godfather.

• Options

callen said:

PJ_ROCKS said:

Godfather.

Would but no more available gambling funds. Course we being seniors wonder if we should be playing this game. :)
  • Options
    callen said:

callen said:

PJ_ROCKS said:

Godfather.

Would but no more available gambling funds. Course we being seniors wonder if we should be playing this game. :)
    yeah I hear ya !

Godfather.

• Options

rgambs said:

rr165892 said:

callen said:

rgambs said:

What if little Gambs wants to go into a non-science based career? These little ones have a way of growing up to have their own ideas about their lives.
    I wouldn't stop him, but I won't be encouraging him to go after a 4 year degree, that's for sure!
    If he grows up to be a finance guy I have failed as a parent lol.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,150
    So is this the "dead cat bounce" or are we out of the clear?
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

So is this the "dead cat bounce" or are we out of the clear?

Way to put it :angry:

(sorry, I'm a cat lover =) )

This week turned out mostly up for my husband overall, but looks like others got hit hard.

Fingers crossed no rollercoasters next week.

Oh, and did you see the two stocks George Soros invested in hugely, once it was divulged he did that? Holy share increases!