Options

Are we headed for another crash in the stock market ?

Comments

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    PJ_ROCKS said:

Godfather

are you watching what is going on this morning....

And last Friday.

My husband made a great buy on Disney this morning!
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    PJ_ROCKS said:

Godfather

no, what's up ?

Godfather.

• Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    Look at this as a time to buy some bargains.This correction is long overdue and was to be expected.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,801
    This is why I'll work till I drop.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    rr165892 said:

Look at this as a time to buy some bargains.This correction is long overdue and was to be expected.

Hell yeah!

Also got in on Blizzard.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,683
    edited August 2015

PJ_ROCKS said:

Godfather

no, what's up ?

Godfather.

Chinese markets dropped 8.5% (Shanghai Stock Exchange I think?), and now a global domino effect is underway.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Like always, greed has pushed us all to the brink and it is now time to pay the piper.
    I for one can't wait for dishonest and greedy people start to lose their livelihood.
    I really don't give two shits what happens to the stock market.
    Nor the housing market for that matter.
    I certainly don't live in a mansion but I don't live in a shoe shack either.
    The amount my place is now valued at causes me to honestly disagree as I would never pay the amount for my home that the experts say it is worth, it's not.
    I don't play the stock game but people deserve everything that comes their way as a result of playing.
  • Options
    Some don't "play" at it - for us, it's for both short- and long-term investing. While it is a gamble - fuck, what isn't these days? - it's not even close to a game here (hell, that's what online poker is for).

As to home-worthiness, it's a moot point. We've got equity, afford the mortgage we signed up for, and not looking to sell.
  • Options

Like always, greed has pushed us all to the brink and it is now time to pay the piper.
    I for one can't wait for dishonest and greedy people start to lose their livelihood.
    The amount my place is now valued at causes me to honestly disagree as I would never pay the amount for my home that the experts say it is worth, it's not.
    I don't play the stock game but people deserve everything that comes their way as a result of playing.

hedonist said:

Some don't "play" at it - for us, it's for both short- and long-term investing. While it is a gamble - fuck, what isn't these days? - it's not even close to a game here (hell, that's what online poker is for).

As to home-worthiness, it's a moot point. We've got equity, afford the mortgage we signed up for, and not looking to sell.

I believe the whole stock market thing is a rigged game. There is definitely a greed factor there, PJFan. But like you, Hedo, my wife dabbles in it and believes it will help us when we can no longer work. I stay out of it and figure as long as I can keep working I'm doing what I need to do.

As far as housing, I've gone from being a renter to a home owner to a renter to living in my vehicle to renting to currently owning a home but the only home I ever truly owned was living in my vehicle. It was the most honest way to live (but definitely had its draw backs). Renting and mortgages are mostly about lining someone else pockets. Were I younger and healthier I'd try something movable like a teepee.

Market corrections come and go and this one will probably do just that but I can't help but wonder if one of these days the gears will all just fly apart and I wonder what that will look like.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    brian,your sounding quite jaded today.
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

brian,your sounding quite jaded today.

Good call, rr. I'm definitely feeling that way.
    How's your day going?

• Options

I'm going to echo Hedos statement.Its not a game.Many folks complete retirement is based on the market.Are they dishonest and greedy for wanting to live out there last years with some comfort?You should give a shit because everything you touch is affected by it.
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

I'm going to echo Hedos statement.Its not a game.Many folks complete retirement is based on the market.Are they dishonest and greedy for wanting to live out there last years with some comfort?You should give a shit because everything you touch is affected by it.
    But rr, isn't that a bit like the "build your house on solid rock not sand" kind of thing? I mean, maybe it's great as long as it works but the whole thing is rigged (of that there can be no doubt, right?) and very unpredictable. Wouldn't it make more sense to go back producing durable good, reducing our consumption, and relying on a stable system of savings with a moderate, sensible percentage of interest?

Our system is based on continued "economic growth" which relies on buying more stuff that is built and constructed by way of planned obsolescence and addictive short-term gratification. And let's not forget the ultimate cost- August is the current month in a calendar year in which humans have consumed 100% of the natural resources nature has made available to our numbers and (super-especially in the first world) our consumption rate.

Jaded? Yeah.

• Options
    rr165892 said:

I didn't say that everyone involved in the market is dishonest and greedy,
    Not sure how you got that -but anyways.
    The market is soured with poisonous people that can't be controlled which ultimately leaves your decisions about your money to someone else. You have a say to a degree but once it's on the market your money is no longer yours at all.
    So again I stand by my thought that I don't give a shit what happens to the market and other people's money because it is exactly that - other people's money.
  • Options
    PJ_ROCKSPJ_ROCKS THE 406 Posts: 6,736

PJ_ROCKS said:

Godfather

no, what's up ?

Godfather.

it was a sell off this morning, down 1080. it closed at -585 for today

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

2006 Denver 2 shows with Tom Petty 

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2012 Missoula : Meet and Greet : "Instant Classic show"

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_ROCKS said:

Godfather

no, what's up ?

Godfather.

Chinese markets dropped 8.5% (Shanghai Stock Exchange I think?), and now a global domino effect is underway.
    our stocks dropped about $5 but rebound to a 10c drop, I'm waiting for them to fall to about $50 a share then I'll transfer a bunch of $$$ from company savings to stocks...well it's an idea if it works like I think it will.

Godfather.

• Options
    Godfather was right for once and still gets no credit. Instead it's labeled as a "sale on the stock market" by your guys. Never can you admit you're wrong. Market crashed. He was called a fool for even suggesting it. Now look who was right all along.
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited August 2015

Godfather was right for once and still gets no credit. Instead it's labeled as a "sale on the stock market" by your guys. Never can you admit you're wrong. Market crashed. He was called a fool for even suggesting it. Now look who was right all along.

He didn't initially suggest it; a predatory phishing scam did.

And I don't know who "your guys" are, but so far, it's just a correction. The word "crash" is hyperbolic at this point, and only someone ignorant of the market's current catalysts and recent fluctuations would use it right now.

Here's a link to a chart of the S&P's 5-year trajectory -- http://www.google.com/finance?chdnp=1&chdd=1&chds=1&chdv=1&chvs=maximized&chdeh=0&chfdeh=0&chdet=1440507583156&chddm=498916&chls=IntervalBasedLine&q=INDEXSP:.INX&ntsp=0&ei=uGbcVbnyNYmCeefuicAN -- although anyone lazy enough to use the word "crash" right now is probably too lazy to click a link as well.

Anyway, SPOILER ALERT: The fuckin' thing just keeps going up.

Talk to me when we get below 1500 on the S&P, which is still overvalued (imho), and maybe I'll mildly entertain a suggestion of a "crash."

I mean, don't get my hopes up. I actually root for a crash. I don't think enough was done to regulate these fuckwads after 2007-09, which also wasn't a crash (and the S&P hit 666). We need a complete reset to get these douchelords in check.
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,036

Actually the article posted referred to the market crashing 50%
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,578

HaHaHa
    I love your posts
    Always dripping with hate and vitriol.
    And always wrong.

Godfoxers post was based on a mass marketed email phishing scam.
    "Your guys"? Is this another conspiracy theory?

Yesterday was so NOT a crash. It was by definition a correction. A correction that had been expected for a very long time. In fact as of this writing the market is back up 300 points. This was a correction that has so far netted me a nice lttile profit as well as an increase in the contents of my portfolio.

There are tools in place to prevent an actual crash. So people shouldnt panic or worry about a crash.
    Will there be more corrections over the next few weeks and months? More than likely.
    It will be a great opportunity for people to get into the stock market and or for more investing.

• Options

HaHaHa
    I love your posts
    And always wrong.

Godfoxers post was based on a mass marketed email phishing scam.
    "Your guys"? Is this another conspiracy theory?

Yesterday was so NOT a crash. It was by definition a correction. A correction that had been expected for a very long time. In fact as of this writing the market is back up 300 points. This was a correction that has so far netted me a nice lttile profit as well as an increase in the contents of my portfolio.

There are tools in place to prevent an actual crash. So people shouldnt panic or worry about a crash.
    Will there be more corrections over the next few weeks and months? More than likely.
    It will be a great opportunity for people to get into the stock market and or for more investing.

Same here! It's actually a bit overwhelming when I look at the wealth of information; happy my husband processes it all (one of the joys of being married to a numbers guy).
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    edited August 2015
    So here's the pickle. To stimulate economy govt lowered interest rates. So if you leave your cash in bank or even buy savings bonds you loose money due to inflation being much higher than minuscule interests. Changed the retirement game. So have to do something with it.

Market does benefit quick traders and lots of inside info shared.

GF, not a expert but having stocks for company you work for can be risky. If you get a discount probably wise to unload once you can. Something happens to your company stock goes down you get fired pension goes away?!?!? I made this mistake. Check with your financial advisor.

Frontline had great episode on 401ks and mutual funds. PBS. watch it.

Okay stock market is gambling. It does trend up though. Also dividend paying stocks are nice to supplement income but with risk.

The days of stashing cash and making okay interest to live on are unfortunately gone.

Post edited by callen on
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I invest good compost into my soil. I invest in solid tools which won't wear out. I invest my time and energy in growing and learning. Most everything else is liable to make you a fool.
    The stock market is a gambling venture, not an investment.

If we have another REAL crash, I will sit back on my fruits and vegetables and laugh at all the fools whose empty pockets leave them bereft.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:

I invest good compost into my soil. I invest in solid tools which won't wear out. I invest my time and energy in growing and learning. Most everything else is liable to make you a fool.

If we have another REAL crash, I will sit back on my fruits and vegetables and laugh at all the fools whose empty pockets leave them bereft.

So the fools have extra $20k in bank. Have all tools they need. Cabinets stocked. Firewood stacked. What to do? Have thought about this a lot. Hate stocks Hate big business. Solutions?
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    JUST A GIRLJUST A GIRL Posts: 372
    edited August 2015

HaHaHa
    I love your posts
    And always wrong..

That's me apparently. Full of vitriol.
  • Options

He was partially right. Stocks rebounding. See where they are at year end.
  • Options

HaHaHa
    I love your posts
    And always wrong..

That's me apparently. Full of vitriol.
    as you can see I've created quite a following LOL ! they're always there with the name calling and insults, some of them are ledgends in thier own minds and some are kind but in the end of it all even Bentlyspoop may agree that it's all the fun of being on the train with different opinions and ideas..even if some here think thiers is the only one that matters LOL !

Godfather.

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,036
    rgambs said:

The stock market historically performs. Investing should be age/goal/risk based. If you are approaching retirement your investments should not be in anything volatile so that if/when a crash/correction occurs you have time to recover from it.

People that didn't panic during the last crash are in good shape. My retirement account has doubled in 20 years from growth in the market.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    callen said:

rgambs said:

So the fools have extra $20k in bank. Have all tools they need. Cabinets stocked. Firewood stacked. What to do? Have thought about this a lot. Hate stocks Hate big business. Solutions?
    there are risk takers and there those that don't but it's all a choice that people make, being a risk taker can make you rich or it can make you poor and the thrill of it all is what some are looking for.

Godfather.