Options

Foo Fighters Vs. Pearl Jam. Round 2. Loudwire. Best Live Band. Vote Now.

Comments

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,928
    The duplication of Foo setlists at the Fenway shows has sufficiently annoyed me into voting as often as I remember to.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edited July 2015
    I voted for the Foo's...

Just to give them a fighting chance
  • Options
    Saltzy23Saltzy23 Posts: 1,347
    edited July 2015

For some reason, I never got into the Foos. I never felt I was missing anything special. And Grohl seems kinda of . . . douchey (I know. A very extensive vocabulary). Wait I just thought of the word: Toolbag

I get how people don't like the music (kinda), but this I do not get.

By all accounts the guy is one of the most down to earth, NON-douchy toolbag guys in all of rock.

I mean, after shattering his fucking leg a few months ago he went back out on stage and played in an aircast with a fucking doctor immobilizing his leg because he knew thousands of people came out to hear him play.

Call me crazy, but IMO this is pretty non-douchy:

I love GNR, but Axl, now Axl is a douchy toolbag. Not sure why Grohl is one in your eyes.
    Post edited by Saltzy23 on
    'I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine.'
  • Options
    Driftin'AlongDriftin'Along Posts: 1,403
    Voted PJ, obviously. I agree with several of you that posted about not getting into the Foos music much. Don't get me wrong, there are some good songs in the catalog. The problem I've always had is there doesn't seem to be much diversity, especially with Grohl's voice. But I've never thought he was a douchy toolbag either. From all I've seen/heard in interviews/documentaries he seems quite the opposite.
    "Not only do you have sunshine but you have better thunder...fuckers." -Ed, Phx 10/21/00
    PJ * 10/21/00 - Phx * 6/7/03 - Phx * 6/29/06 - Milwaukee * 6/30/06 - Milwaukee * 11/19/13 - Phx *
    EV * 11/4/12 - Phx, AZ *
  • Options
    Saltzy23 said:

For some reason, I never got into the Foos. I never felt I was missing anything special. And Grohl seems kinda of . . . douchey (I know. A very extensive vocabulary). Wait I just thought of the word: Toolbag

By all accounts the guy is one of the most down to earth, NON-douchy toolbag guys in all of rock.

I mean, after shattering his fucking leg a few months ago he went back out on stage and played in an aircast with a fucking doctor immobilizing his leg because he knew thousands of people came out to hear him play.

I love GNR, but Axl, now Axl is a douchy toolbag. Not sure why Grohl is one in your eyes.
    Coming back to the finish the show after breaking your leg is pretty cool. Literally sitting on a throne at subsequent shows is kind of douchy. Dave earns his reputation, good and bad.

• Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    JimmyV said:

Saltzy23 said:

Coming back to the finish the show after breaking your leg is pretty cool. Literally sitting on a throne at subsequent shows is kind of douchy. Dave earns his reputation, good and bad.

I think you nailed it.I've never met him, but from what I've read he strikes me as the type of guy who doesn't know how to not get his way. On the other hand, he seems to use the honey approach so I don't think he could be called unlikable. I guess in general the band seems to have fun, or like be fun kind of people. But I do think there's a down to earth kind of factor.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    ldent42 said:

JimmyV said:

Saltzy23 said:

I think you nailed it.I've never met him, but from what I've read he strikes me as the type of guy who doesn't know how to not get his way. On the other hand, he seems to use the honey approach so I don't think he could be called unlikable. I guess in general the band seems to have fun, or like be fun kind of people. But I do think there's a down to earth kind of factor.
    In fairness here, what the hell was/is he supposed to do? He is on crutches with like 10 screws in his right leg. It was either figure out a solution to the problem, or cancel the tour entirely.

Also, if you haven't seen the show since he broke his leg he goes into like a 10 minute breakdown of the whole back story, shows video of himself falling off the stage, shows pics of him in the hospital and rough sketches of what he dreamed up as far as the throne goes, followed by him having the crowd chant 'Johan, Johan, Johan' for the doctor that sat there with his leg in his hands in Sweden (which as a Mets fan was kind of eerie, ya know, hearing Citi Field chant for "Johan" for the 1st time in like 3 years), and then proceeds to rave about how their road crew is the best in the business, and how amazing it is they were able to build this thing for him so they could continue the tour. I am not sure how that comes off as douchy.

Also, please name the rock stars that are known for NOT wanting things their way. Please. For one, it's the reward you get for getting to the highest level in about the most competitive industry on the planet. For another, if I got to that point you better believe I am gonna want total control as well, just to make sure that shows and the overall image/brand of the band are exactly what I want them to be. I have no issues with people in the public eye taking control over their business. The ones that don't usually either burn out or are robbed blind.

• Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    JimmyV said:

Saltzy23 said:

I'm curious to see how you think he should have continued on tour. Hobble across the stage? Sit in a plain old chair with his leg elevated? They are playing baseball fields and arenas, I personally think they went the right direction and just went flashy and embraced the whole broken leg thing. Most would have just cancelled. Yes, Foo Fighters is the Dave Grohl show and he's got a big personality. I don't think douchy is the right word, though. Passionate, yes. Cheesy goofball, totally. Even arrogant. But not douchy.
  • Options
    I think there is a difference between needing to sit in a chair with your leg elevated and sitting on a throne, particularly when you are perceived in some circles as being arrogant. And I am fine with that word in place of douchy.

• Options
    Saltzy23 said:

ldent42 said:

JimmyV said:

Saltzy23 said:

In fairness here, what the hell was/is he supposed to do? He is on crutches with like 10 screws in his right leg. It was either figure out a solution to the problem, or cancel the tour entirely.

Also, if you haven't seen the show since he broke his leg he goes into like a 10 minute breakdown of the whole back story, shows video of himself falling off the stage, shows pics of him in the hospital and rough sketches of what he dreamed up as far as the throne goes, followed by him having the crowd chant 'Johan, Johan, Johan' for the doctor that sat there with his leg in his hands in Sweden (which as a Mets fan was kind of eerie, ya know, hearing Citi Field chant for "Johan" for the 1st time in like 3 years), and then proceeds to rave about how their road crew is the best in the business, and how amazing it is they were able to build this thing for him so they could continue the tour. I am not sure how that comes off as douchy.

Also, please name the rock stars that are known for NOT wanting things their way. Please. For one, it's the reward you get for getting to the highest level in about the most competitive industry on the planet. For another, if I got to that point you better believe I am gonna want total control as well, just to make sure that shows and the overall image/brand of the band are exactly what I want them to be. I have no issues with people in the public eye taking control over their business. The ones that don't usually either burn out or are robbed blind.

Uhm.... I did go to the show last week. I thought it was great. And I love the throne. What I said was that he strikes me as the type of guy who doesn't know how to not get his way. Not that he wants things his way. That's a huge difference. So, um... chill.

The show I was at included an extra song with the chili peppers drummer while Taylor sang. And Grohl was hobbling out on crutches for some reason for at least one song. I'm not saying that the foos are "the Dave Grohl show" I think he's a team player.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    JimmyV said:

I think there is a difference between needing to sit in a chair with your leg elevated and sitting on a throne, particularly when you are perceived in some circles as being arrogant. And I am fine with that word in place of douchy.

I'm sorry dude, but you are are an ignoramus.

It's a fucking stadium tour! The stage is humongous. There is a walkway that must jet out like 50' into the crowd. You honestly want him to sit in a Ikea chair with a foot stool while playing in front of like 50,000 people? You'd make a hellava tour manager dude.

I just find this all very funny after seeing Tommy Lee play drums from a kit with neon flashing lights suspended from a rail above the crowd while doing barrel rolls at MSG and seeing U2 play at Metlife Stadium 2 years ago on a stage set that was literally taller than the NFL stadium it was in and which cost something like $100k a day to move around the tour, that people are giving Dave Grohl shit for playing in a throne he drew up while in a hospital bed after shattering his leg in half so that he could continue the tour.

Just say 'For my own reasons I don't particularly like the guy or FF' Some people or bands just don't resonate with others. I get that. Shitting on him for having the audacity of coming up with a creative way to continue his tour after shattering his leg is just ridiculous.
  • Options
    Saltzy23 said:

JimmyV said:

It's a fucking stadium tour! The stage is humongous. There is a walkway that must jet out like 50' into the crowd. You honestly want him to sit in a Ikea chair with a foot stool while playing in front of like 50,000 people? You'd make a hellava tour manager dude.

I just find this all very funny after seeing Tommy Lee play drums from a kit with neon flashing lights suspended from a rail above the crowd while doing barrel rolls at MSG and seeing U2 play at Metlife Stadium 2 years ago on a stage set that was literally taller than the NFL stadium it was in and which cost something like $100k a day to move around the tour, that people are giving Dave Grohl shit for playing in a throne he drew up while in a hospital bed after shattering his leg in half so that he could continue the tour.

Just say 'For my own reasons I don't particularly like the guy or FF' Some people just don't resonate with others. I get that. Shitting on him for having the audacity of coming up with a creative way to continue his tour after shattering his leg is just ridiculous.
    I'm an ignoramus?

You should take a breath and not let my very minor criticism of the great Dave Grohl enrage you so much.

• Options
    JimmyV said:

Saltzy23 said:

JimmyV said:

Just say 'For my own reasons I don't particularly like the guy or FF' Some people just don't resonate with others. I get that. Shitting on him for having the audacity of coming up with a creative way to continue his tour after shattering his leg is just ridiculous.
    I'm an ignoramus?

You should take a breath and not let my very minor criticism of the great Dave Grohl enrage you so much.

Just realized we've been trolled. I can usually spot them quicker, guess I'm slipping!
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,421
    my2hands said:

I voted for the Foo's...

Just to give them a fighting chance

They're at 49%. I don't think that's that far behind
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,441
    99% of bands would have cancelled their tour if the lead singer broke his leg. He could sit on a giant marshmallow for all I care if I had tickets to an upcoming show. I would be so pumped that he was willing to go on with the tour. Class move if you ask me.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    dannydanny Posts: 2,270
    no comparison
    danny d
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,565
    edited July 2015
    JimmyV said:

Not a fan of FF, but I have to very strongly disagree here. I mean, a big rock concert has flashing lights and lasers and huge back drop screens and giant TV screens for close ups of the band, and strobes and the whole fucking shebang.... How does a throne with lights on it to accommodate the lead singer with a badly broken leg suddenly throw a rock concert over the edge of good taste??? That makes no sense. Him just sitting there in a folding chair with his foot on a milk stool amongst everything that is going on at a rock concert in a huge arena or stadium would look ridiculous. I think they made the exact right call with this chair they made. It is completely suitable to the situation.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

JimmyV said:

Not a fan of FF, but I have to very strongly disagree here. I mean, a big rock concert has flashing lights and lasers and huge back drop screens and giant TV screens for close ups of the band, and strobes and the whole fucking shebang.... How does a throne with lights on it to accommodate the lead singer with a badly broken leg suddenly throw a rock concert over the edge of good taste??? That makes no sense.
    I think it makes perfect sense. There is a difference between needing a chair to sit on and designing a throne for yourself. The throne, in my opinion, is over the top. It doesn't throw the concert over the edge of good taste, but it does add to this aura of arrogance that surrounds Dave Grohl.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    JimmyV said:

Saltzy23 said:

JimmyV said:

I'm an ignoramus?

Apologies for the insult. Also, I am not even that big a fan of FF or Dave Grohl. I like them. They have a handful of songs that I would say I really like, and a bunch that are decent.

I am just saying that in a world full of absolute shit music, bands that are big for a few months before disappearing off the face of the earth forever, and artists that are CLEARLY only in it for the money that I don't understand why people are getting on a guy for doing everything he could to make sure that fans that bought tickets for a show and were looking forward to it for months did not have to hear it was cancelled a few weeks beforehand.

You cancel the tour, people bitch and moan about how disappointed they are, and how much of a pussy you are for not muscling through it when they have regular shitty jobs they have to go to everyday no matter how they feel. You come up with a (pretty damn creative) way of keeping the tour on schedule, people call you an arrogant douchy blowhard.

There is no winning when you are these guys. Someone is always gonna complain no matter what you do.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,565
    edited July 2015
    JimmyV said:

PJ_Soul said:

JimmyV said:

Not a fan of FF, but I have to very strongly disagree here. I mean, a big rock concert has flashing lights and lasers and huge back drop screens and giant TV screens for close ups of the band, and strobes and the whole fucking shebang.... How does a throne with lights on it to accommodate the lead singer with a badly broken leg suddenly throw a rock concert over the edge of good taste??? That makes no sense.
    I think it makes perfect sense. There is a difference between needing a chair to sit on and designing a throne for yourself. The throne, in my opinion, is over the top. It doesn't throw the concert over the edge of good taste, but it does add to this aura of arrogance that surrounds Dave Grohl.

But he is the lead singer of the band. Why wouldn't you do something to highlight him when he can't do his normal thing on stage? I see the throne as simply compensating for what is lost with him not being able to move around the stage and be part of the spectacle that way.
    I dunno. As I said, I do not like the band at all, but all this Dave Grohl is a douche stuff is weird. He actually seems more down to earth than Eddie Vedder IMO (don't get me wrong - I am an EV fan, not a DG fan). I mean, throne for fans to focus on so they can see the lead singer better vs. the lead singer climbing all over the fucking scaffolding of the stage or swinging around on some ridiculous hanging light globes and making a complete spectacle of himself that way.... Both are fine to me.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    JM55546JM55546 Posts: 129
    edited July 2015
    JimmyV said:

PJ_Soul said:

JimmyV said:

If Eddie Vedder did this he'd be hailed around here as a god and caring about fans. Grohl, does it he's a diva.

Vedder cancels half a tour due to back problems, no issue!

http://exclaim.ca/Music/article/eddie_vedder_postpones_us_tour_after_suffering_back_injury_nerve_damage
  • Options
    JM55546 said:

JimmyV said:

PJ_Soul said:

JimmyV said:

If Eddie Vedder did this he'd be hailed around here as a god and caring about fans. Grohl, does it he's a diva.

http://exclaim.ca/Music/article/eddie_vedder_postpones_us_tour_after_suffering_back_injury_nerve_damage
    people are much harsher on Eddie for a site of fans.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Ya but its almost like dave grohl just did it to show off. I heard about it like a million times on the radio. Thats what he wants. To be everywhere
  • Options
    JM55546 said:

JimmyV said:

PJ_Soul said:

JimmyV said:

If Eddie designed a throne for himself I would be just as harsh. As would many of us.

• Options
    Mawky1103Mawky1103 Posts: 309
    I like the Foo Fighters. I think they are good for music in general and I like Dave Grohl. Having said that, there's no debate. Eddie>Dave..PJ>FF.

Live Shows?... PJ rocks just as hard and actually changes set lists every night.
    Actual Music?... FF hasn't evolved at all. Not to say that's a bad thing, but there's just not enough variety. You know what you're gonna get from a Foo Fighters album. PJ has a song for nearly every human emotion.

I have no issue with Dave. I think if you do you're really searching for a reason. Maybe because he says fuck in every sentence that comes out of his mouth? Or constantly reminding ppl how hard his band rocks? Maybe because he sort of loves attention? I guess, but there's much much much more artists to vent about. I still think he's an amazing artist who is a great ambassador for today's rock music.

Foo Fighters are great, and when comparing them to any other band, they'd probably be preferred..just not over PJ. I think the Foo Fighters have become, to the largely average music fan, American's "Rock Band." A little more mainstream, a little more catchy songs, a little more cliche. I think this reasoning points to them being nominated or winning rock categories at award shows like the grammy's or producing a show on HBO. Not there's anything wrong with that, it just is what it is.
  • Options
    also back injury is worse than leg. you sometimes can't move
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    mcrokmcrok Posts: 628
    Mawky1103 said:

I like the Foo Fighters. I think they are good for music in general and I like Dave Grohl. Having said that, there's no debate. Eddie>Dave..PJ>FF.

Live Shows?... PJ rocks just as hard and actually changes set lists every night.
    Actual Music?... FF hasn't evolved at all. Not to say that's a bad thing, but there's just not enough variety. You know what you're gonna get from a Foo Fighters album. PJ has a song for nearly every human emotion.

I have no issue with Dave. I think if you do you're really searching for a reason. Maybe because he says fuck in every sentence that comes out of his mouth? Or constantly reminding ppl how hard his band rocks? Maybe because he sort of loves attention? I guess, but there's much much much more artists to vent about.

I agree with these points but this is a comparison of the two bands so the grohl bashing is fair imo. Saw FF and PJ at music midtown 2012. FF were tight as they should be for playing the same exact set every nite but my wife and i were not impressed at all with the energy grohl puts out. The constant f bombs just to say them, the on and on how much they rock, the lack of authenticity were just bothersome to us. But we are huge pj fans so our tastes are just different. FF have some great tunes but i feel no emotional connection to them or the band. I also dont think it is far off or unfair to call grohl a douche...i kinda thought he was a white trash douche.
    96 - Ft Lauderdale
    98 - ATL; WPB I & II
    00 - WPB I & II
    03 - Boston I; Detroit I & II
    04 - Boston VFC I & II
    05 - Borgata II
    08 - WPB; NY MSG I & II
    10 - CLE
    12 - Music Midtown; EV Jax II; EV Orlando I&II
    13 - BWI; CVille; CLT
    14 - Memphis
    16 - Jax; Gville; Cola; Fenway II
  • Options
    The "throne" says it all imo. With Grohl it is all about him. He didnt have to call it a "throne". Why show everyone the sketches he made and his xray...not much class with this guy. Oh and btw...not to rehearse two different sets for fenway is pathetic...FF are not about the music they are about the rehearsed grohl f**king show.
    96 - Ft Lauderdale
    98 - ATL; WPB I & II
    00 - WPB I & II
    04 - Boston VFC I & II
    05 - Borgata II
    08 - WPB; NY MSG I & II
    10 - CLE
    13 - BWI; CVille; CLT
    14 - Memphis
    16 - Jax; Gville; Cola; Fenway II
  • Options
    mcrok said:

The "throne" says it all imo. With Grohl it is all about him. He didnt have to call it a "throne". Why show everyone the sketches he made and his xray...not much class with this guy. Oh and btw...not to rehearse two different sets for fenway is pathetic...FF are not about the music they are about the rehearsed grohl f**king show.

Much agreed. Its all about him.
  • Options
    96 - Ft Lauderdale
    98 - ATL; WPB I & II
    00 - WPB I & II
    04 - Boston VFC I & II
    05 - Borgata II
    08 - WPB; NY MSG I & II
    10 - CLE