Options

Foo Fighters Vs. Pearl Jam. Round 2. Loudwire. Best Live Band. Vote Now.

Comments

• Options
    Here we go Pearl Jams turn to take back the lead.
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    50.02% Foos
    49.98% PJ
  • Options

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I love GnR, but this is so sad!
  • Options
    50.03% PJ
    49.7% Foos

A .05 swing in 10 minutes!
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,144

Im sorry but the talent that comes from Pearl Jam compared to Foo Fighters is ridiculous. The fact that the Foo Fighters are winning is kind of sad. This comes down to the people who actually no there music and the people that dont have a clue.

Dude, c'mon. Give it a rest.
    Im only speaking the truth my friend. No need to get upset.
    Not upset. I know a great deal about music & also love the Foo Fighters. I have a pretty wide taste in music and also love the Foo Fighters. Just debunking your comment from earlier, with a smile as I thumb type this up.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    yellowwhoyellowwho Posts: 1,661
    50.46 Pearl Jam

49.54 Foo's
  • Options
    MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,485
    50.52 pj
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Options
    GardLivingston89GardLivingston89 Posts: 942
    edited July 2015
    50.56 Pj. I would have to say Pearl Jam has definitely been keeping the lead for the longest. Foo fighters get ahead and us Pearl Jam fans fight right back lol
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    I'd vote PJ all day, but I don't think there's some huge disparity, though I have heard FF sound can be lackluster.

I don't think the two approaches really sets them apart. Foos can trot out 20-30 songs that everybody knows and everybody is into it from end to end. Pearl Jam have maybe 10 songs that average fans are gonna know, but they've spent years cultivating a hardcore fanbase that appreciates the lesser known tunes and the setlist twists. I think, as a pretty mild fan of the Foos, I could go see them and have a helluva time and be a part of the crowd and singalongs and just generally be entertained the whole time. PJ are gonna put in an enjoyable show, but I'm not sure I could get totally immersed if I was a casual fan. Then again, their live show sealed my rabid fandom.
  • Options
    Saltzy23Saltzy23 Posts: 1,347
    Well, I literally just saw FF. First off, Dave Grohl is fuckin awesome. God bless that dude.

Great set. Great energy. Loved every second of it.

Pearl Jam is better.

'I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine.'
  • Options
    sarnocmsarnocm York, ME Posts: 81

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I love GnR, but this is so sad!

My God, I've loved GNR since they stared, and I didn't even recognize this picture. Saw them in Sacramento in 1993 when someone threw a bottle of piss and hit Duff in the head and they quit halfway through the show. Slash came out and told the crowd to "find the guy and fucking kill him." It was funny reading Slash's book where he tells the story differently and says he told everyone to calm down. I was supposed to see them in Kansas City in 1991, but the concert was cancelled b/c of the riot in St. Louis a couple days earlier. Even though I only got a limited experience, they were still fantastic for the hour I got to experience.

1993 Berkeley
    1995 SF Polo grounds
    2010 Boston
    2013 Worcester 1, Worcester 2, Hartford
    2014 Vienna, Berlin, Stockholm, Oslo, Denver
    2015 GCF
    2016 Philly 1&2, MSG 1&2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2
    2017 RRHOF

2018 Wrigley 1, Fenway 1&2

2022 EV—NYC 2, Berlin, Imola, Quebec City, Camden

• Options
    GillycwGillycw Sydney Posts: 524

Foo Fighters 48.8%

Pearl Jam 51.2%

Yewww!!

• Options
    DewieCox said:

I'd vote PJ all day, but I don't think there's some huge disparity, though I have heard FF sound can be lackluster.

I don't think the two approaches really sets them apart. Foos can trot out 20-30 songs that everybody knows and everybody is into it from end to end. Pearl Jam have maybe 10 songs that average fans are gonna know, but they've spent years cultivating a hardcore fanbase that appreciates the lesser known tunes and the setlist twists. I think, as a pretty mild fan of the Foos, I could go see them and have a helluva time and be a part of the crowd and singalongs and just generally be entertained the whole time. PJ are gonna put in an enjoyable show, but I'm not sure I could get totally immersed if I was a casual fan. Then again, their live show sealed my rabid fandom.

Lets not forget 10 of those 20 to 30 songs are covers.
  • Options
    Saltzy23 said:

Well, I literally just saw FF. First off, Dave Grohl is fuckin awesome. God bless that dude.

Pearl Jam is better.

Its always Dave Grohl is awesome. Thats my point. The rest of the band is just there they dont do shit lol. Personally ive never seen them live because i could care less but watching videos of him live i could never make it threw someone screaming that horribly the whole time. Sounds like garbage.
  • Options
    Saltzy23Saltzy23 Posts: 1,347

Saltzy23 said:

Pearl Jam is better.

Its always Dave Grohl is awesome. Thats my point. The rest of the band is just there they dont do shit lol. Personally ive never seen them live because i could care less but watching videos of him live i could never make it threw someone screaming that horribly the whole time. Sounds like garbage.
    Ha, being that he is currently performing the whole show in this movable 'throne' thing right now because of his broken leg you would really have hated the show last night,

You're crazy though. The guy is an outstanding front man. He is clearly a ridiculous musician. He played drums for one of the biggest bands of the 90's. Started a new band where he sings lead, plays guitar, and writes most of the music, a lot of which has become some of the most popular rock over the last 20 years.

I'll take Pearl Jam 100 times out of 100, but saying that Grohl and/or the Foo Fighters sound like 'garbage' is just being a hater or blind Pearl Jam fanboy.
    'I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine.'
  • Options
    GarasaurasGarasauras Ontario Posts: 231
    PJ 51.83
    FF 48.17

Probably the two best live bands out there today. But PJ is better.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,637
    edited July 2015
    Just saw them in the pit in Philly the other night. I've seen them several times and I always come out with the same impressions:
    1. FFs fans are more casual rather than die hard, likely leading to the greatest hits setlists.
    2. FFs play great covers. Breakdown, Under Pressure, Tie Your Mother Down were all a blast.
    3. FF fans are generally more dickheads. I assume because they don't have the tight club environment that we have here. I bought my tickets on stub hub which is obviously not possible with PJ. Makes a big difference in my opinion. There were a few times when I had to protect my 13 year old son. That would not happen today at a PJ show.

It was a great show and no regrets about making the trek up there. However, no comparison to a PJ show. The crowd is better (not necessarily louder), the mood is more positive and no one takes you on the waves of emotion like PJ. FFs are one mood the whole show.
    Post edited by mrussel1 on
  • Options
    I just cant feel his singing guys. He sucks big time to me. I can feel the music sometimes i guess but his voice does not do it for me at all.
  • Options
    ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,964
    edited July 2015
    52.01% to 47.99% PJ

we are gonna take this one

Edit: plus we will be Green Day and SOAD easily so semi-finals here we go.
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
  • Options
    kimdowdellkimdowdell NY Posts: 23
    I just saw the FF at Citi Field Thursday for the first time...in my opinion there is no comparison....the show was good but nothing like a PJ show at all. The crowd was kind of lame too except in the pit. Glad I went to see them but probably won't see them again. After seeing FF it really makes me appreciate PJ even more. Can't wait until September!!
    1992- Saturday Night Live NY,NY, 2010 MSG 2, 2013 BKLYN 2, LA 1 & 2, NYC 2015
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,441

I just cant feel his singing guys. He sucks big time to me. I can feel the music sometimes i guess but his voice does not do it for me at all.

1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    pearljam1809pearljam1809 Posts: 863
    I've seen both bands live. Love both their music, but for me FF live (and many of other bands, if not all) falls short comparing to PJ (set-wise, crowd-wise, etc.).
    Having said that, I doubt about the seriousness of this poll. Regardless the result, we know in our hearts which band is the best.

• Options
    Saltzy23 said:

Saltzy23 said:

Pearl Jam is better.

Ha, being that he is currently performing the whole show in this movable 'throne' thing right now because of his broken leg you would really have hated the show last night,

You're crazy though. The guy is an outstanding front man. He is clearly a ridiculous musician. He played drums for one of the biggest bands of the 90's. Started a new band where he sings lead, plays guitar, and writes most of the music, a lot of which has become some of the most popular rock over the last 20 years.

I'll take Pearl Jam 100 times out of 100, but saying that Grohl and/or the Foo Fighters sound like 'garbage' is just being a hater or blind Pearl Jam fanboy.
    Don't you find there songs just to be a bit average? Foo Fighters have never written a song that's really grabbed me. Never come close to writing a Black, Yellow Ledbetter or however many other great ones Pearl Jam has. To me its just sad to think that back in the 70s Supertramp for example wouldn't even come close to being one of the greatest rock bands out there and there music is so much better then the Foo Fighters. Now the Foo Fighters are so popular and like one of the biggest bands and there music is just so average to me. I understand he played drums for Nirvana and that awesome but he doesn't even come close to being as good of a writer as Kurt Cobain was and I don't think he ever will be. You guys can think he's great if you want that's all on you. Alright i'm done with my opinion, I wouldn't want someone to complain and shut down the thread.
  • Options
    JP33JP33 Posts: 1,348

The Foo Fighters suck
  • Options
    pledgeagrievancepledgeagrievance Posts: 2,817
    edited July 2015
    For some reason, I never got into the Foos. I never felt I was missing anything special. And Grohl seems kinda of . . . douchey (I know. A very extensive vocabulary). Wait I just thought of the word: Toolbag
    Post edited by pledgeagrievance on
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,637
    mrussel1 said:

Just saw them in the pit in Philly the other night. I've seen them several times and I always come out with the same impressions:
    1. FFs fans are more casual rather than die hard, likely leading to the greatest hits setlists.
    2. FFs play great covers. Breakdown, Under Pressure, Tie Your Mother Down were all a blast.
    3. FF fans are generally more dickheads. I assume because they don't have the tight club environment that we have here. I bought my tickets on stub hub which is obviously not possible with PJ. Makes a big difference in my opinion. There were a few times when I had to protect my 13 year old son. That would not happen today at a PJ show.

Saltzy23 said:

Saltzy23 said:

Pearl Jam is better.

Don't you find there songs just to be a bit average? Foo Fighters have never written a song that's really grabbed me. Never come close to writing a Black, Yellow Ledbetter or however many other great ones Pearl Jam has. To me its just sad to think that back in the 70s Supertramp for example wouldn't even come close to being one of the greatest rock bands out there and there music is so much better then the Foo Fighters. Now the Foo Fighters are so popular and like one of the biggest bands and there music is just so average to me. I understand he played drums for Nirvana and that awesome but he doesn't even come close to being as good of a writer as Kurt Cobain was and I don't think he ever will be. You guys can think he's great if you want that's all on you. Alright i'm done with my opinion, I wouldn't want someone to complain and shut down the thread.
    I've maintained for a long time that they are an above average band with solid but "pop" hits. If we were in a golden age of music, they would definitely be considered average, not elite. But rock music is so down right now, that it makes the Foos huge. This is because they aggressively market themselves and more power to them. I do really like his drumming in QOTSA and Them Crooked Vultures. I'd love a new project for TCV.
  • Options
    JP33 said:

The Foo Fighters suck
    Thank you lol
  • Options
    There catching back up slowly Vote. Vote. Vote.
  • Options
    SJD3232SJD3232 Posts: 2,200
    BUMP! 1 DAY LEFT PEOPLE
  • Options
    yellowwhoyellowwho Posts: 1,661
    I can smell victory
This discussion has been closed.