Options

only alcohol in vip1?????

Comments

• Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859

on2legs said:

Anybody else thinks it's weird that the whole point of Global Citizen is to break down economic barriers, end poverty, and give people equal access to food, medicine, and education but they segregate people into pens at these shows and make more amenities available to those who have more money?

I'm not knocking them.... I think it's a great organization, but the whole premise seems weird in light of their goals.

Spot on, I for one am sick of absurdly rich people offering 2 hours of their time, asking the average Joe, $$, to save the world. I know they do a lot, even donate their own money, raise awareness, etc. but % wise, what people spend to attend these events, is pocket change to the artists.

I hate to be negative, but it's getting old.
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CEwQFjAFahUKEwiI2eeFsNvGAhWSfpIKHVZ3AaM&url=http://www.showbiz411.com/2015/03/09/ego-show-global-citizen-spent-7-million-on-2013-all-star-rock-concert-gave-700k-in-charitable-grants&ei=i2WlVcjnNpL9yQTW7oWYCg&usg=AFQjCNEbHcSf684upg0t11cP5jw0TT3xGQ&bvm=bv.97653015,d.aWw
    I just can't stay away from this conversation.

From the link above:

How much went to actual poverty solving? Just over $500,000. A half million dollars. And those itemized expenses are vague notations to “increase awareness of global poverty” in Europe, East Asia, and and the Pacific. Money wasn’t spent on people who needed it. It was to tell people that poverty exists in those places.

The only specific donation listed by Global Poverty: they gave the Rotary Clubs of America based in Illinois $172,325 to “engage US Rotarians in focused grass roots polio advocacy.” Rotary International did spend $38 million last year around the world inoculating against polio. It’s unclear if Global Poverty’s donation went to medicine or just to advertising.

They also spent $328,334 advertising their “Live Below the Line” campaign, in which celebrities and others are touted for sleeping outside with the homeless.

Want to really stop global poverty? Donate money through micro financing via www.kiva.org, through the Red Cross, the United Way, or UNICEF.
    Unless I'm missing something GC has made it pretty clear that they are not soliciting donations from people. They are trying to spread "awareness" The vast majority of people attending this shit are not paying a dime for tickets. Instead they wind up a captive audience, so even people who have zero interest in the Global Poverty Project will get some knowledge beaten into them in between sets. GC is more a political lobby type organization - it's not a charity and I don't think it's ever pretended to be one. The purpose of the "advertising" they spend their money on is not dubious - think about those damn Sarah McLachlan ASPCA commercials, everyone does advertising - but the GC ads aren't soliciting donations to a specific fund like the ASPCA does, instead it's trying to advertise issues (or, gimmicks meant to get your attention such as the "live below the line" campaign, which then in turn explain that x% of the population of the planet earth live on less than $1.50USD per day etc etc etc) which then in turn provides information about "what you can do" such as funds to donate to. The entire purpose of GC is a form of advertising. If you look at the list of partners, most people (average Joe $$) will not have heard of them. So GC is kind of like their marketing firm.

Now, if you want to take issue with those salary numbers (and I'm sure some do) that's a different story - but remember exactly how high profile the GC is and how fancy all their web design crap is and look at the beautiful cinematography of those little videos with the sad kids etc etc. That shit don't come cheap. I'm sure neither do the connections required to be able to put on a show like this festival. Is it "right" that they spent nearly a million bucks in salaries and compensations in 2013? That's certainly debatable. This link doesn't actually break down how many people it's for but I'm sure there's a couple guys at the top who are getting most of it.

As Dankind mentioned the Red Cross is hardly the saintly example of all things charity. But every major "brand name" type of charity is going to have its scandals. Funds get spent unwisely everywhere. And microfinancing has its own dangers too. You may know that microfinancing operations in Asia and Africa are targeting women in impoverished communities because they figured out that women are going to spend that money on their families and men are going to spend it on hookers and blow. (I'm being funny but it's also true.) There's been a lot of success but there's also been an opening for a new form of exploitation where the men of the household essentially force the women in their household to go get the loan and then take the money for themselves. They might leave her with a small amount of money because if they complete their loan repayments they can get more money - so let's say she gets $10 to make bracelets to sell. The husband takes $8 for himself and expects her to make the $10 back off the $2 he leaves her so she can get a new loan and if she doesn't she gets whooped.

There is ZERO system that's going to be perfect. None of us are able to know (or even really qualified to judge) the situations on the ground where these issues are happening. That's why I'm not comfortable with the "white knight" crap and think our money is going to be better off in the hands of the actual grassroots organizations who are actually part of it not swooping in to "fix it" during a semester abroad. But I don't think there's any sense in vilifying GC for being a marketing/advertising firm and spending buttloads of money on the festival. Most actual charities will have a report or analysis of how much $$ got spent on an advertising campaign and how much $$ got raised because of it. Those numbers are not going to be perfect but that's what they work with. GC is not an actual charity. Since it's not raising funds it's harder to really quantify how much profit (for lack of a better term) they get off their investment. So they spend $10million on the festival and then the Prime Minister of Norway pledges $1 billion in vaccines. Obviously there's a ton of political posturing in there and there's no way to really compare dollar for dollar exactly what sort of impact the GC festival campaigns had. There's also unlikely to be any follow up to see how long it takes Norway to plop down that $1 billion they promised. But maybe they inject a couple million into research and boom! something gets figured out - like a cheaper synthetic or new transport or something. Point is it's difficult to really determine the impact of a politically involved "awareness" marketing campaign - and it shouldn't be vilified for not appropriating funds directly to charities.

Busting the State Department's voicemail on the other hand is something we SHOULD get on their case about since that shit costs tax payers money to deal with.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    Saltzy23Saltzy23 Posts: 1,347
    wall232 said:

fugawzi said:

Great thing is that NYC decriminalized possession of small amounts of weed, and the show is outside. Weed won't be for sale in ANY sections, so just BYOW, avoid the shitty overpriced alcohol at the show anyway, and go have drinks and dinner AFTER the show in one of the many bar/restaurants in Manhattan that will be open late. Where's the after-show gathering btw...?

It's been decriminalized but you will get thrown out if caught and possibly a ticket, bring edibles and you'll be fine.
    Schrooms are your friend. I'm gonna be a walking pharmacy at this thing if they are not gonna be selling any beer.
    'I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine.'
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    ldent42 said:

on2legs said:

Anybody else thinks it's weird that the whole point of Global Citizen is to break down economic barriers, end poverty, and give people equal access to food, medicine, and education but they segregate people into pens at these shows and make more amenities available to those who have more money?

I'm not knocking them.... I think it's a great organization, but the whole premise seems weird in light of their goals.

Spot on, I for one am sick of absurdly rich people offering 2 hours of their time, asking the average Joe, $$, to save the world. I know they do a lot, even donate their own money, raise awareness, etc. but % wise, what people spend to attend these events, is pocket change to the artists.

I hate to be negative, but it's getting old.
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CEwQFjAFahUKEwiI2eeFsNvGAhWSfpIKHVZ3AaM&url=http://www.showbiz411.com/2015/03/09/ego-show-global-citizen-spent-7-million-on-2013-all-star-rock-concert-gave-700k-in-charitable-grants&ei=i2WlVcjnNpL9yQTW7oWYCg&usg=AFQjCNEbHcSf684upg0t11cP5jw0TT3xGQ&bvm=bv.97653015,d.aWw
    I just can't stay away from this conversation.

From the link above:

How much went to actual poverty solving? Just over $500,000. A half million dollars. And those itemized expenses are vague notations to “increase awareness of global poverty” in Europe, East Asia, and and the Pacific. Money wasn’t spent on people who needed it. It was to tell people that poverty exists in those places.

The only specific donation listed by Global Poverty: they gave the Rotary Clubs of America based in Illinois $172,325 to “engage US Rotarians in focused grass roots polio advocacy.” Rotary International did spend $38 million last year around the world inoculating against polio. It’s unclear if Global Poverty’s donation went to medicine or just to advertising.

They also spent $328,334 advertising their “Live Below the Line” campaign, in which celebrities and others are touted for sleeping outside with the homeless.

Want to really stop global poverty? Donate money through micro financing via www.kiva.org, through the Red Cross, the United Way, or UNICEF.
    Unless I'm missing something GC has made it pretty clear that they are not soliciting donations from people. They are trying to spread "awareness" The vast majority of people attending this shit are not paying a dime for tickets. Instead they wind up a captive audience, so even people who have zero interest in the Global Poverty Project will get some knowledge beaten into them in between sets. GC is more a political lobby type organization - it's not a charity and I don't think it's ever pretended to be one. The purpose of the "advertising" they spend their money on is not dubious - think about those damn Sarah McLachlan ASPCA commercials, everyone does advertising - but the GC ads aren't soliciting donations to a specific fund like the ASPCA does, instead it's trying to advertise issues (or, gimmicks meant to get your attention such as the "live below the line" campaign, which then in turn explain that x% of the population of the planet earth live on less than $1.50USD per day etc etc etc) which then in turn provides information about "what you can do" such as funds to donate to. The entire purpose of GC is a form of advertising. If you look at the list of partners, most people (average Joe $$) will not have heard of them. So GC is kind of like their marketing firm.

Now, if you want to take issue with those salary numbers (and I'm sure some do) that's a different story - but remember exactly how high profile the GC is and how fancy all their web design crap is and look at the beautiful cinematography of those little videos with the sad kids etc etc. That shit don't come cheap. I'm sure neither do the connections required to be able to put on a show like this festival. Is it "right" that they spent nearly a million bucks in salaries and compensations in 2013? That's certainly debatable. This link doesn't actually break down how many people it's for but I'm sure there's a couple guys at the top who are getting most of it.

As Dankind mentioned the Red Cross is hardly the saintly example of all things charity. But every major "brand name" type of charity is going to have its scandals. Funds get spent unwisely everywhere. And microfinancing has its own dangers too. You may know that microfinancing operations in Asia and Africa are targeting women in impoverished communities because they figured out that women are going to spend that money on their families and men are going to spend it on hookers and blow. (I'm being funny but it's also true.) There's been a lot of success but there's also been an opening for a new form of exploitation where the men of the household essentially force the women in their household to go get the loan and then take the money for themselves. They might leave her with a small amount of money because if they complete their loan repayments they can get more money - so let's say she gets $10 to make bracelets to sell. The husband takes $8 for himself and expects her to make the $10 back off the $2 he leaves her so she can get a new loan and if she doesn't she gets whooped.

There is ZERO system that's going to be perfect. None of us are able to know (or even really qualified to judge) the situations on the ground where these issues are happening. That's why I'm not comfortable with the "white knight" crap and think our money is going to be better off in the hands of the actual grassroots organizations who are actually part of it not swooping in to "fix it" during a semester abroad. But I don't think there's any sense in vilifying GC for being a marketing/advertising firm and spending buttloads of money on the festival. Most actual charities will have a report or analysis of how much $$ got spent on an advertising campaign and how much $$ got raised because of it. Those numbers are not going to be perfect but that's what they work with. GC is not an actual charity. Since it's not raising funds it's harder to really quantify how much profit (for lack of a better term) they get off their investment. So they spend $10million on the festival and then the Prime Minister of Norway pledges $1 billion in vaccines. Obviously there's a ton of political posturing in there and there's no way to really compare dollar for dollar exactly what sort of impact the GC festival campaigns had. There's also unlikely to be any follow up to see how long it takes Norway to plop down that $1 billion they promised. But maybe they inject a couple million into research and boom! something gets figured out - like a cheaper synthetic or new transport or something. Point is it's difficult to really determine the impact of a politically involved "awareness" marketing campaign - and it shouldn't be vilified for not appropriating funds directly to charities.

Busting the State Department's voicemail on the other hand is something we SHOULD get on their case about since that shit costs tax payers money to deal with.

You had me at awareness... Then it's all a blur... Lol
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    rustneversleepsrustneversleeps The Motel of Lost Companions Posts: 2,209
    jesus christ
  • Options
    nostackedvinylnostackedvinyl Maine Posts: 857

jesus christ

What's He have to do with all off this?
    it's a fragile thing, this life we lead.

05/24/06, 06/28/08, 06/30/08, 05/17/10, 09/07/11, 09/11/11, 09/12/11, 09/14/11, 09/15/11, 10/15/13, 10/16/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/25/13, 10/27/13, 05/05/16, 05/08/16, 08/07/16, 09/02/18

ev: 06/15/11
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,922
    edited July 2015
    Sorry...wrong thread. Man am I having trouble with the website the last two days.
    Post edited by JimmyV on

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827

jesus christ

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,552
    edited July 2015
    on2legs said:

nycrats said:

You could go to Central Park now, locate where you think your approximate holding pen will be, dig a hole and bury your beloved booze. Show time you just find the spot and dig it out with your hands
    What could go wrong?

Brilliant :bow:
    It totally works. I've done that for festivals before (way back in my youth though, lol..... And of course that was back in the days when people attending festivals weren't corralled into holding pens and held there like prisoners for the duration of the show. :fearful: ).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    dankind said:

jesus christ

Fantastic shirt!!

05/24/06, 06/28/08, 06/30/08, 05/17/10, 09/07/11, 09/11/11, 09/12/11, 09/14/11, 09/15/11, 10/15/13, 10/16/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/25/13, 10/27/13, 05/05/16, 05/08/16, 08/07/16, 09/02/18

• Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    dankind said:

jesus christ

"I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    one word: Palcohol
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    jeffbr said:

dankind said:

jesus christ

I'd go with Orr myself but outstanding nonetheless!

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:

"I'm gonna make little Gretzky's head bleed. . ."

What a great fuckin movie!

• Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    dankind said:

Good old NHL93, last year they showed blood. Even back then the PC people won.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    Saltzy23 said:

wall232 said:

fugawzi said:

Great thing is that NYC decriminalized possession of small amounts of weed, and the show is outside. Weed won't be for sale in ANY sections, so just BYOW, avoid the shitty overpriced alcohol at the show anyway, and go have drinks and dinner AFTER the show in one of the many bar/restaurants in Manhattan that will be open late. Where's the after-show gathering btw...?

It's been decriminalized but you will get thrown out if caught and possibly a ticket, bring edibles and you'll be fine.
    Schrooms are your friend. I'm gonna be a walking pharmacy at this thing if they are not gonna be selling any beer.
    fungus, fine fresh herbs, and a flask...

"WILL TRADE FOR FUNGUS"
  • Options

Saltzy23 said:

wall232 said:

fugawzi said:

"WILL TRADE FOR FUNGUS"
    Yeah, shit is hard as hell to get. After a few years hanging out with the degenerates I call friends I finally have a few connections. Takes like a week or 2 from calling in the order to actual delivery, but whatever.

Took a bunch at the Foo Fighters show last night. So good. So fucking good.

There is a fungus among us!
  • Options
    Saltzy23 said:

Saltzy23 said:

wall232 said:

fugawzi said:

"WILL TRADE FOR FUNGUS"
    Yeah, shit is hard as hell to get. After a few years hanging out with the degenerates I call friends I finally have a few connections. Takes like a week or 2 from calling in the order to actual delivery, but whatever.

nice... i have a few degenerates i call friends with some fungus access as well. I shouldnt have too much trouble finding something to nibble on for that weekend. join us at the Hilton Garden Inn Central Park for a smorgasbord of recreational goodies...
  • Options

Saltzy23 said:

Saltzy23 said:

wall232 said:

fugawzi said:

"WILL TRADE FOR FUNGUS"

nice... i have a few degenerates i call friends with some fungus access as well. I shouldnt have too much trouble finding something to nibble on for that weekend. join us at the Hilton Garden Inn Central Park for a smorgasbord of recreational goodies...
    Well, you sound like you are a fungai, so maybe I will.

Hey-O

:)
  • Options
    jimbojones1138jimbojones1138 Posts: 3,640
    Try seeing pj sober for a change. It's really nice.
    it's largely due to eddie that i liked to jump off of things as a child...
  • Options
    really nice? sounds like a blast....
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938

I agree! PJ is one of the few bands I actually prefer sober.. Seeing them live has enough drug-like euphoric effects for me.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    have seen plenty of shows sober, always great regardless... but I have to go with the smorgasbord of recreational goodies for central park
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,922
    I had too much to drink at the Toronto 2009 show. Listen to the boot now and half the show I don't even remember. Haven't gotten drunk at a show since...and I haven't missed it.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    edited July 2015

I mean, if I am gonna go through a decent amount of my life on one substance or another there is no way I am going to see PJ sober.

Too much beer or alcohol, sure. I feel you. You can get completely wasted and wind up forgetting the whole show when you wake up the next morning, which sucks. Actually, my knucklehead friend completely passed out 1/2 way through the Foo Fighters show last night after drinking way too much beer, way too fast, Nothing like dropping like $100 to sleep through a concert, idiot.

As far as green or fungus goes though, it enhances the experience for me. I know what I am doing, and I never get to a point where I lose it or am out of control. If you get to that perfect spot you can almost see the energy in the building. It's fucking beautiful. Goddamn I love it.
    Post edited by Saltzy23 on
  • Options
    Saltzy23 said:

I mean, if I am gonna go through a decent amount of my life on one substance or another there is no way I am going to see PJ sober.

Too much beer or alcohol, sure. I feel you. You can get completely wasted and wind up forgetting the whole show when you wake up the next morning, which sucks. Actually, my knucklehead friend completely passed out 1/2 way through the Foo Fighters show last night after drinking way too much beer, way too fast, Nothing like dropping like $100 to sleep through a concert, idiot.

As far as green or fungus goes though, it enhances the experience for me. I know what I am doing, and I never get to a point where I lose it or am out of control. If you get to that perfect spot you can almost see the energy in the building. It's fucking beautiful. Goddamn I love it.
    ahhhh, what a perfect spot it is..... beautiful indeed
  • Options
    SpokenSpoken Posts: 1,447
    Did anyone ever find out the final word about this,
    will there be beer there or not?
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    Wish they didn't sell booze at any PJ concerts. Sure as he'll be more enjoyable for non boozing fans.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,625
    callen said:

Wish they didn't sell booze at any PJ concerts. Sure as he'll be more enjoyable for non boozing fans.

The fans are just following the lead of their favorite singer.
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

• Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    RS151862 said:

callen said:

The fans are just following the lead of their favorite singer.
    True true
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG