Options

Help with hotel location for Global Citizen

Comments

• Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    lolobugg said:

Suziemay said:

lolobugg said:

so sounds like you guys know the deal so I will ask... what's the best/easiest way to get from Grand Central to Central Park?

I think the entrance is on 72nd St, either East or West. I'm still unclear if we can use either or will depend on the ticket.

For East entrance, you can take the 6 train from Grand Central to 68th street then walk to 72nd street. Or you could just walk if it's a nice day, ~30-40 mins walk.

For West entrance, take the 7 train from Grand Central to Time Square, then switch to the B train and take that to 72nd street.

You could also look up GoogleMaps; it maps out NYC transit. Just also check mta.info for delays/reroutes.
    Thanks, Suziemay... I will check it that out.. didn't know if it was feasible to hoof it
    thanks for everything.
    In Manhattan, most places are hoofable, just a question of how long you're willing to walk. I once walked from Central Park at 72nd Street all the way down to the Brooklyn Bridge, and then walked over the bridge. It took almost the full day and involved a few stops for food and coffee :)
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,192
    Suziemay said:

lolobugg said:

Suziemay said:

lolobugg said:

so sounds like you guys know the deal so I will ask... what's the best/easiest way to get from Grand Central to Central Park?

I think the entrance is on 72nd St, either East or West. I'm still unclear if we can use either or will depend on the ticket.

For East entrance, you can take the 6 train from Grand Central to 68th street then walk to 72nd street. Or you could just walk if it's a nice day, ~30-40 mins walk.

For West entrance, take the 7 train from Grand Central to Time Square, then switch to the B train and take that to 72nd street.

You could also look up GoogleMaps; it maps out NYC transit. Just also check mta.info for delays/reroutes.
    Thanks, Suziemay... I will check it that out.. didn't know if it was feasible to hoof it
    thanks for everything.
    In Manhattan, most places are hoofable, just a question of how long you're willing to walk. I once walked from Central Park at 72nd Street all the way down to the Brooklyn Bridge, and then walked over the bridge. It took almost the full day and involved a few stops for food and coffee :)
    that is like the whole of Manhattan, right?

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    lolobugg said:

Suziemay said:

lolobugg said:

Suziemay said:

lolobugg said:

thanks for everything.
    Nah, that's like half. The Northernest point of Manhattan is Inwood. I wouldn't suggest doing that, I'm not sure if it's a pleasant walk. Related, there's the Great Saunter where people walk around the entire island, 32 miles: http://www.shorewalkers.org/the-great-saunter-event

So awesome.
  • Options
    Suziemay said:

lolobugg said:

Suziemay said:

lolobugg said:

Suziemay said:

lolobugg said:

thanks for everything.
    Nah, that's like half. The Northernest point of Manhattan is Inwood. I wouldn't suggest doing that, I'm not sure if it's a pleasant walk. Related, there's the Great Saunter where people walk around the entire island, 32 miles: http://www.shorewalkers.org/the-great-saunter-event

So awesome.
    That's so cool... the distance looked a little daunting when I checked the map... guess I will see what Susan wants to do... I am cool with walking but also cool with taking the train.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    Suziemay said:

100 Pacer said:

@Suziemay I should have clarified: I'm not staying at a hotel near LGA. I'd be flying in the morning of the show and flying out the morning after without a hotel. I was asking if the shuttle service to and from LGA was feasible in terms of cost and traffic, and whether it even operates late at night after the show ends.

Gotcha. Wow!:

I've actually started really liking taking public transport to LGA when I am traveling light. So, the Q70 Limited bus to Roosevelt Avenue/74th Street subway station, then transfer to the E, F, M, R and 7 trains. For Central Park, I think easiest would be to take the E to 50th street then transfer to the C and take that to 72nd St. That will take you to the West side entrance. It will probably take about an hour, give or take a few mins.

If you don't want to deal with the subway, then the airport shuttle should be OK but I've never taken it. The bus to subway option is only $2.75, and I haven't taken a taxi there in awhile, but I think it's probably around $30?

Just to add, traffic is probably going to be challenging that weekend given all the other stuff going on in the city, so probably add on another 30 mins-1 hour cushion to be safe.
    Is the Q70 what used to be called the Q33?
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited September 2015
    lolobugg said:

Suziemay said:

lolobugg said:

Suziemay said:

lolobugg said:

Suziemay said:

lolobugg said:

thanks for everything.

So awesome.
    That's so cool... the distance looked a little daunting when I checked the map... guess I will see what Susan wants to do... I am cool with walking but also cool with taking the train.
    Citi Bike is also an option -- especially if you're an experienced rider.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:

lolobugg said:

Suziemay said:

lolobugg said:

Suziemay said:

lolobugg said:

Suziemay said:

lolobugg said:

thanks for everything.

So awesome.
    ? what is that, my friend

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    lolobugg said:

dankind said:

lolobugg said:

Suziemay said:

lolobugg said:

Suziemay said:

lolobugg said:

Suziemay said:

lolobugg said:

thanks for everything.

So awesome.
    It's a bike share in NYC. You pay some money and check out a bike from one of the stations near GCT, you ride it to CP and dock it at one of the stations near there. Use Ride the City to plan your safest route.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    ldent42 said:

Suziemay said:

100 Pacer said:

@Suziemay I should have clarified: I'm not staying at a hotel near LGA. I'd be flying in the morning of the show and flying out the morning after without a hotel. I was asking if the shuttle service to and from LGA was feasible in terms of cost and traffic, and whether it even operates late at night after the show ends.

Gotcha. Wow!:

I've actually started really liking taking public transport to LGA when I am traveling light. So, the Q70 Limited bus to Roosevelt Avenue/74th Street subway station, then transfer to the E, F, M, R and 7 trains. For Central Park, I think easiest would be to take the E to 50th street then transfer to the C and take that to 72nd St. That will take you to the West side entrance. It will probably take about an hour, give or take a few mins.

If you don't want to deal with the subway, then the airport shuttle should be OK but I've never taken it. The bus to subway option is only $2.75, and I haven't taken a taxi there in awhile, but I think it's probably around $30?

Just to add, traffic is probably going to be challenging that weekend given all the other stuff going on in the city, so probably add on another 30 mins-1 hour cushion to be safe.
    Not sure. Q70 is express so fewer stops. Actually, may just go direct from Airport to Subway without stopping but I'm not 100% sure. There's a slower bus with more stops, I can't remember the number.
  • Options
    dankind said:

lolobugg said:

dankind said:

lolobugg said:

Suziemay said:

lolobugg said:

Suziemay said:

lolobugg said:

Suziemay said:

lolobugg said:

thanks for everything.

So awesome.
    It's a bike share in NYC. You pay some money and check out a bike from one of the stations near GCT, you ride it to CP and dock it at one of the stations near there. Use Ride the City to plan your safest route.
    Just know that Manhattan drivers are nutso, it won't be a pleasant bike ride and you also have to bring your own helmet.
  • Options
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
  • Options
    Suziemay said:

dankind said:

lolobugg said:

dankind said:

lolobugg said:

Suziemay said:

lolobugg said:

Suziemay said:

lolobugg said:

Suziemay said:

lolobugg said:

thanks for everything.

So awesome.
    Just know that Manhattan drivers are nutso, it won't be a pleasant bike ride and you also have to bring your own helmet.
    Wow, that would be an adventure for sure... I would be scared some cabbie would flatten my at the crosswalk.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    Suziemay said:

ldent42 said:

Suziemay said:

100 Pacer said:

Gotcha. Wow!:

Not sure. Q70 is express so fewer stops. Actually, may just go direct from Airport to Subway without stopping but I'm not 100% sure. There's a slower bus with more stops, I can't remember the number.
    Yea it is.

Also look what I found on the MTA's website. Should help everyone out:

http://web.mta.info/nyct/service/airport.htm
  • Options
    lolobugg said:

Suziemay said:

dankind said:

lolobugg said:

dankind said:

lolobugg said:

Suziemay said:

lolobugg said:

Suziemay said:

lolobugg said:

Suziemay said:

lolobugg said:

thanks for everything.

So awesome.
    Wow, that would be an adventure for sure... I would be scared some cabbie would flatten my at the crosswalk.
    I biked everywhere in NYC, and the vehicular traffic was fairly attuned to cyclists, especially the cabbies. I found that the worst hazard to cyclists in NYC was pedestrians.

Boston drivers, on the other hand. Jesus! I almost get clipped at least once a week. Good thing I've got a good life insurance policy at my new job.

:worried:
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:

lolobugg said:

Suziemay said:

dankind said:

lolobugg said:

dankind said:

lolobugg said:

Suziemay said:

lolobugg said:

Suziemay said:

lolobugg said:

Suziemay said:

lolobugg said:

thanks for everything.

So awesome.
    I biked everywhere in NYC, and the vehicular traffic was fairly attuned to cyclists, especially the cabbies. I found that the worst hazard to cyclists in NYC was pedestrians.

Boston drivers, on the other hand. Jesus! I almost get clipped at least once a week. Good thing I've got a good life insurance policy at my new job.

:lol:

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    dankind said:

lolobugg said:

Suziemay said:

dankind said:

lolobugg said:

dankind said:

lolobugg said:

Suziemay said:

lolobugg said:

Suziemay said:

lolobugg said:

Suziemay said:

lolobugg said:

thanks for everything.

So awesome.
    I biked everywhere in NYC, and the vehicular traffic was fairly attuned to cyclists, especially the cabbies. I found that the worst hazard to pedestrians in NYC was cyclists.

Fixed that for you.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    ^^^ I understand where you're coming from, having been both. Shit, Keri Russell (who should really wear a helmet) nearly slammed her bike into me in our old neighborhood (which was actually kinda hot).

I will say, however, having been both, pedestrians caused me a lot more trouble biking (including some emergency dental work thanks to a gorgeous French tourist on the Brooklyn Bridge, which was, again, kinda hot; OK something is wrong with me!) than cyclists have caused me while walking.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    c'mon now man tourists dont count. They're a danger to themselves and everyone around them, period.

To be fair I was escorting tourists on the Brooklyn Bridge a couple years ago and I fully understand how that could've happened to you. I also nearly grabbed a cyclist by the handlebars and tossed him over the side for being a complete and utter cunt that day.

But that's the benefit of staying in Queens - cycling over the 59th st bridge is nowhere near as bad as the Brooklyn Bridge. I don't imagine the Triboro would be as bad either. But if you come flying off that damn bridge at 50mph and decide you think you get to run the red light I'm trying to cross, I'm still gonna call you names. In my head. Cuz I obviously can't outrun you. Honestly I had no quarrel with cyclists before they put that damn bike lane on the avenue. Now I live in fear of humans in spandex.
  • Options
    I will conced that the second biggest or perhaps equivalent threat to cyclists is other cyclists, especially them salmon-riding, curb-jumping, light-running, fixie-riding sonsabitches.

I've got news for you, the world will not end if you apply your fucking brakes. In fact, you get better exercise that way, which should appeal to the spandex horde.

Anyway, for thread integrity, I still say Park Savoy if you don't mind a tiny, passable room. Just check for signs of bedbugs anywhere you stay.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    So what's the news about Legionnaires disease??? Still going around NYC???
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    PP193448 said:

So what's the news about Legionnaires disease??? Still going around NYC???

I think it's contained. And anyway I think it was in the Bronx? Which would explain why they took so long to care about it! Oh Snap!
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,572
    dankind said:

samjam said:

100 Pacer said:

Ah! Then definitely a good option. Can take as little as 20 minutes to get back, IF you are traveling during non-rush hour times with good luck. Otherwise, it's a whole different story. As said before, the last shuttle is at 11:30 PM. And another thing to note that drop off and pick up in the city (at least for the Grand Central stop) are a bit different, consult the website. From years past, I believe the show has ended around 9 or 10 PM.
    Also, that's crazy, 100 Pacer. You're freakin' hardcore!

:rock_on:
    At least it won't be as exhausting as doing Detroit and Moline on 4 hours sleep over 56 hours :P
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options

Not a hotel question, but one for those who are familiar w/ the stage / venue setup: am I correct in understanding the East side will be the entrance for VIP sections? (Sorry if it's been addressed already)
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283

Not a hotel question, but one for those who are familiar w/ the stage / venue setup: am I correct in understanding the East side will be the entrance for VIP sections? (Sorry if it's been addressed already)

You can really enter through whatever gate you want, but West would be easiest for VIP if I remember correctly (and am looking at the map correctly)
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    samjam said:

You can really enter through whatever gate you want, but West would be easiest for VIP if I remember correctly (and am looking at the map correctly)
    Actually was just looking at the FAQ again, and it said that VIP entrance will be W. 81st & Central Park West. Different from both West and East side GA entrances.
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    dustinparduedustinpardue Las Vegas, NV Posts: 1,829
    I'm taking a hanglider from Brooklyn.......
    "All I Ever Knew" available now in print and digital formats at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and iBooks.
  • Options
    samjam said:

samjam said:

Actually was just looking at the FAQ again, and it said that VIP entrance will be W. 81st & Central Park West. Different from both West and East side GA entrances.
    Thanks!
  • Options
    branscopbranscop Posts: 1,181

I'm taking a hanglider from Brooklyn.......

• Options
    CW55354CW55354 Posts: 200
    My advice for what it's worth is to book a hotel outside of Manhattan that you can cancel 24 hours out. Then Priceline it every day until you get a room in your price range. It appears fans from each of the performers booked rooms hoping to get tickets. You may get lucky and see prices drop before the show When those that didn't win cancel. Though with the pope and UN general assembly meeting at the same time you'll still need some luck. Driving in from Jersey isn't too bad. If you take the Lincoln tunnel in there is plenty parking right when you get out and it's a good long walk to Central Park, but if my out of shape self can handle it anyone can. BTW that's what I'm doing as I won tickets yesterday. Can't wait!!
  • Options
    So we've got the U.N. General assembly that weekend too. Traffic is gonna be a nightmare.