Dave Grohl falls off stage/breaks leg

Not much info right now but we know that he broke it, went to the hospital while the band did covers, and then came back to finish the show in a wheel chair and cast. It isn't known for sure that he broke it, but in the video he says that he did. There are rumors that it is a fracture and not a break but nothing has been officially released by the band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=towR_sk7cvk
Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]

Comments

• SD48277SD48277 Posts: 12,243
    Oh shit. Too bad he isn't on here, he could take a pic of his leg and post it in the MOTHERF*CKER thread.
    ELITIST FUK
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    ^^ =)

What a trooper he is! At least he didn't break his hip.
  • WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe Posts: 4,957
    Oh man, what a tough spot to be in.
  • rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    SD48277 said:

Oh shit. Too bad he isn't on here, he could take a pic of his leg and post it in the MOTHERF*CKER thread.

I thought 2 things when I heard about his fall.1st exactly like you,I'm like damn lets get a pic on the Motherf&@ker thread.2nd (a selfish one) please don't let this hamper touring schedule as I have tix to multiple shows,including one in 3 weeks.ehhhh
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,630
    SD48277 said:

Yes! Maybe it should be called the TOUGH MOTHERF*CKER thread! :smiley:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• jeffbrjeffbr Posts: 7,177
    Looks like a break!

Kudos to Dave. Tough as nails!
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    From what I've read about this, something seems a bit..."off".
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    mca47 said:

Nobody, and I mean nobody, loves the legend of Dave grohl more than Dave grohl
    jeffbr said:

Looks like a break!

Oh fuck! That's quite a break!
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    mca47 said:

How so? I haven't read anything except the OP.
  • Ed's not stupid, sitting down and playing the uke these days. That's the way to go. Surf, the rest of the time.
  • LongueuilLongueuil Posts: 2,224
    edited June 2015
    Where's the drill? It will need screws for sure. Clean fracture though.

Is this his fibula?
    Post edited by Longueuil on
    edited June 2015
    Just seems weird. I head he was back 15 mins later
    Post edited by mca47 on
    Yeah, distal fibula. What venue has a X-ray tech and casting materials?
    edited June 2015
    mca47 said:

I read somewhere an hour. Possibly an aircast like they put on sports injuries to stabilize? I think it was a sports stadium. Who knows? Here's a crappy cellphone video of him wiping out.
    https://youtu.be/HKJ2SfJesrA
    Post edited by WhatYouTaughtMe on
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013

mca47 said:

I read somewhere an hour. Possibly an aircast like they put on sports injuries to stabilize? I think it was a sports stadium. Who knows? Here's a crappy cellphone video of him wiping out.
    https://youtu.be/HKJ2SfJesrA
    The pics I saw don't look like an Aircast (i have 3 of those). Digital radiology is super portable, and casting material is basically fiberglass rolls you soak in water, cotton roll, and stocking material.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • eldarion75eldarion75 Posts: 2,488
    It's times like these he'll learn to walk again
  • rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697

Well done!!
  • whispering handswhispering hands Posts: 13,527
    SD48277 said:

Incidentally I was just thinking the same thing!!! Lmao!
    edited June 2015
    First, to answer the question what venue has an X-Ray machine/ casting material? Most of them. As well, they have fully trained paramedical staff, and often a 'house' doctor that is contracted to be on call for events such as this. So yeah this could totally have gone down this way! Dave is a bad assed mofo to go on with the show. And cast setting?? Ever get a broken bone set? Then casted? Takes less then 30 minutes. Very well done to the crew on hand!
    Post edited by whispering hands on
    You have to remember they are 'covering' multi-million dollar property insurance claim rates on these venues. Most often the property insurance company requires there be mid range medical coverage for incidents occurring on site, wether it be fan or performer.
  • electronblueelectronblue WPB Florida Posts: 3,460
    edited June 2015
    YIKES @ that xray!!

"One more indecent accident
    I'd rather leave than suffer this"

Post edited by electronblue on
    "Forgive every being,
    the bad feelings 
    it's just me"

• Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,822
    mca47 said:

You think this is all an act or something?

mca47 said:

You think this is all an act or something?
    Nah, just when it happened I was reading a lot of conflicting reports. Guess that's what happened when news initially breaks.
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    also remember it happened in Sweden.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    This is sweden...all works perfect..ive been in like 40-45 countires..thete is no better quality of life anywhere else..if they had beter weather or longer summer will be better than heaven...
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,901

yes, well done!

personally, I don't give a rat's ass about the Foos.

If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22

This is sweden...all works perfect..ive been in like 40-45 countires..thete is no better quality of life anywhere else..if they had beter weather or longer summer will be better than heaven...

I was actually amazed by the crowds reaction. They seemed to take it pretty well. Some places would have responded in a negative way if the show stopped two songs in for any reason at all.
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,074
    jeffbr said:

Looks like a break!

that is surgical. it is a displaced weber c fracture of the fibula which has bayonette deformity. shortened at least a cm. needs to be reduced, brought out to length, and plated. his ankle mortise is widened. he could end up having long term effects if this is not treated properly. need a lateral view, which is cut off in the picture, to see if there is any anterior or posterior displacement. he will end up having surgery when the swelling goes down.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013

jeffbr said:

Looks like a break!

that is surgical. it is a displaced weber c fracture of the fibula which has bayonette deformity. shortened at least a cm. needs to be reduced, brought out to length, and plated. his ankle mortise is widened. he could end up having long term effects if this is not treated properly. need a lateral view, which is cut off in the picture, to see if there is any anterior or posterior displacement. he will end up having surgery when the swelling goes down.
    So after surgery, he gets a scooter...right?
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless