Sciatica

I did a search and it definitely comes up a lot, but just in random threads(not sure about the Random Thread About Anything). It doesn't have a thread of its own, so I'm making one. I just discovered through Google that I have sciatica. I hurt my back lifting weights. It spread from my lower back into my right buttocks and down my right leg. The pain is unbearable. I'm taking Robaxacil, but find extra strength Advil works best. Someone sent me links to exercises I can do to help, as well.

Anyone else dealing with this, or have dealt with it in the past? How long does it last? Is it a chronic condition? Any other tips or suggestions you can provide?
Another habit says it's in love with you
Another habit says its long overdue
Another habit like an unwanted friend
I'm so happy with my righteous self

Comments

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,420
    didn't have Sciatica but about a year ago I had a Herniated Disk in my upper back that caused pain and numbness from my left elbow all the way down to my fingers on that hand. I have a fairly high pain tolerance but this was pretty bad so i sympathize with you. Advil was fantastic for the pain but also got 2 Cortisone shots that helped get rid of about 75% of the pain and numbness. after the Cortisone shots I went to a Physical Therapist a few times and got stretches/exercises for it and have continued the stretching/exercises and haven't really had the issue since, although if I don't do those for a few days i feel the pain come back a bit in the upper back.
  • FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Posts: 4,810
    My L5 is not "in line" with the rest of my spine - I get the numbness all the way down to my toes too. If you can afford it my local chiropractic doc was helpful - also massage if you don't want to strip down for a professional you can roll around on a tennis ball. Use the tennis ball on the outer side of your cheeks but not all the way out to the side on your hips. Good luck! And boooooooo!
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    edited June 2015
    Yea I have it too, but down my left leg. The pain is something that's impossible to describe or explain. If you don't have people who know what it is, it can be difficult. No one understood why I was being so difficult about sitting down too long or walking too much or why I couldn't sleep. When my mom's nurse heard I have it the look of shock in his face was priceless. "How are you doing all this?" "I'm sorry did I have a fucking choice in the matter? I don't recall ever being given a choice." I had the shooting pain that went from the top of my ass down my leg to my foot, usually when I tried to sit back or sit up straight. I dunno what the triggers were while standing. The shooting electrical pain seemed to disappear on its own (knock wood) about ten seconds after I got diagnosed last September. So that's like a year and a half? The back pain only got worse since then though. Or maybe I've just noticed it since the other pain was worse?

My first PT session was yesterday & she tried to make me lean back & I couldn't. So it's possible I've just become incapable of moving in the way that sets off the shooting pain. She tried lifting the left leg while I was flat on my back and I think I blacked out for a tiny second from the pain.

I was offered an injection which might reduce the pain by 50% . I chickened out and didn't go to my appointment. It's a steroid injection right into the area. It's called an epidural, but it's not the same thing they give pregnant women. They said they were gonna put me to sleep in a "twilight anesthesia" so I wake up right away, but won't feel anything, and they use a camera to see where to inject it. They're going to reschedule me again for it but I'm sill too scared.
    Post edited by ldent42 on
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Posts: 4,810
    Ident - I don't know if you've had an epidural ...? They are glorious. You won't feel a thing when they do it - I can't speak for the other because I have not had what you are talking about.
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
    edited June 2015
    I've never had an epidural of any kind. Not the kind women get during labor and not the kind I'm supposed to get for the sciatica.
    I'm more scared of the general anesthesia than the injection. Like if they make me the appointment again I'm gonna ask then if they HAVE to do general. I'll wear earplugs and a blindfold if it makes them feel more comfortable but i really don't want to get general anesthesia again.
    Post edited by ldent42 on
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
  • badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    Sometimes I walk around looking like an 82 years old Chinaman. Fucken blows. Now it's been a month since I triggered mine. It's such an annoying pain and discomfort.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,420
    ldent42 said:

I've never had an epidural of any kind. Not the kind women get during labor and not the kind I'm supposed to get for the sciatica.
    I'm more scared of the general anesthesia than the injection. Like if they make me the appointment again I'm gonna ask then if they HAVE to do general. I'll wear earplugs and a blindfold if it makes them feel more comfortable but i really don't want to get general anesthesia again.

i had two of those in two weeks for a herniated disc. Foxyredla above is correct. you barely feel it. for me it was like two tiny pin pricks. within a day felt about 50% better. did 2nd one to get up to about 80-90% better. can you only give you 3 in i think 6 months so i held off on the 3rd and have never needed it. they didn't let me drive home from the appointment but i went home and worked from home so it's not like it knocks you out or anything. i would definitely recommend getting the epidural.

pjhawks said:

ldent42 said:

i had two of those in two weeks for a herniated disc. Foxyredla above is correct. you barely feel it. for me it was like two tiny pin pricks. within a day felt about 50% better. did 2nd one to get up to about 80-90% better. can you only give you 3 in i think 6 months so i held off on the 3rd and have never needed it. they didn't let me drive home from the appointment but i went home and worked from home so it's not like it knocks you out or anything. i would definitely recommend getting the epidural.

I'm not worried about the needle for the injection. I don't like general anesthesia.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    ldent42 said:

pjhawks said:

ldent42 said:

I'm not worried about the needle for the injection. I don't like general anesthesia.
    Well, make sure you tell them that - they are probably used to people who are chickening out because of the fear of the needle, so they want to reassure you, but that's not where your fear is. I don't see why it couldn't be done without a general.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    Trophy man,Go get a proper massage.Have the area and surrounding connected tissue and muscle worked out good.Lots of ice after.
    Utilize a hard foam roller,lay it on the floor and work not only the lower back and gluteus,but also hammys and side of thighs.Just roll slowly back and forth.It really does work wonders.
    You may get some additional relief by having someone help you stretch out your IT bands.
    You don't need Meds,just good old fashioned touch ,therapy,ice and patience.
  • rr165892 said:

Trophy man,Go get a proper massage.Have the area and surrounding connected tissue and muscle worked out good.Lots of ice after.
    Utilize a hard foam roller,lay it on the floor and work not only the lower back and gluteus,but also hammys and side of thighs.Just roll slowly back and forth.It really does work wonders.
    You may get some additional relief by having someone help you stretch out your IT bands.

Thanks for your post. Just wondering where I'd get a hard foam roller? Sounds good.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,822
    rr165892 said:

Foam rollers are the absolute best. My hips andIT band can get pretty tight but the foam roller loosens it right up. I love that thing.
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Does everyone's comments / advice apply specifically to sciatica?

I have heavy arthritis and spurs in my lower back and unless debilitated to the point of having to take pills (which I detest), regularly use pot and physical therapy...well, employing the methods at home after the insurance for PT ran out. That and OTC shit like Tylenol and Advil help some too.

Have heard many people swear by the foam roller but after trying a rolled-up towel, nuh uh! That shit hurt for awhile.

Have you looked into acupuncture?

TWTM, I truly hope you get some respite from the pain soon, and that you find long-term relief. Constant hurting does a number on the mind, not to mention the rest of your body as it tries to compensate.

rr165892 said:

Thanks for your post. Just wondering where I'd get a hard foam roller? Sounds good.
    Most sporting good stores,Also most gyms have them,usually in Pilates/Yoga room.I think even Wal- mart and Target has them.Pretty sure LuLu lemon also.
    How do you know what to do with it?
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,822
    ldent42 said:

How do you know what to do with it?

Just google foam roller exercises. So much you can do with one of these things.
  • rr165892 said:

rr165892 said:

Most sporting good stores,Also most gyms have them,usually in Pilates/Yoga room.I think even Wal- mart and Target has them.Pretty sure LuLu lemon also.
    Thanks, I really appreciate it. I'm going to get one by the weekend.
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
    edited June 2015
    After spending 3 years with repeated back blowouts, 2 MRI's and a trip to the neurosurgeon, I started going to Pilates. Between classes and lots of core work at home I've seen a dramatic improvement. I never had sciatica but I had a bulging of L4/L5.
    The exercises in Pilates aim to restructure the spine back to its normal position and strengthen the core muscles to take pressure off the back. I highly recommend it.
    Post edited by eddiec on
  • hedonist said:

Does everyone's comments / advice apply specifically to sciatica?

I have heavy arthritis and spurs in my lower back and unless debilitated to the point of having to take pills (which I detest), regularly use pot and physical therapy...well, employing the methods at home after the insurance for PT ran out. That and OTC shit like Tylenol and Advil help some too.

Have heard many people swear by the foam roller but after trying a rolled-up towel, nuh uh! That shit hurt for awhile.

Have you looked into acupuncture?

TWTM, I truly hope you get some respite from the pain soon, and that you find long-term relief. Constant hurting does a number on the mind, not to mention the rest of your body as it tries to compensate.

Thank you. And no I haven't looked into acupuncture, but I wouldn't rule it out. I might even have coverage for it. I'll have to check.
  • eddiec said:

After spending 3 years with repeated back blowouts, 2 MRI's and a trip to the neurosurgeon, I started going to Pilates. Between classes and lots of core work at home I've seen a dramatic improvement. I never had sciatica but I had a bulging of L4/L5.
    The exercises in Pilates aim to restructure the spine back to its normal position and strengthen the core muscles to take pressure off the back. I highly recommend it.

Thanks, I'll give it a look. I never thought of it because I don't know anything about it, really. Thanks very much for the info and advice. Sounds really good.
  • deadendpdeadendp Posts: 10,434
    I have issues with sciatica, but also QL which can leave me in just horrible pain. The slightest movement can set that off without warning. When that is angry, I can bend down, but any even slight "twist" feels like someone is beating me in the back with a chimney sweep brush. I can't stand well, sit well, lay comfortably and I'm basically just a hot mess when it kicks in. Takes about a week for it to pull itself around. Well, that's unless my friend adjusts my back, hip and picks me up and drops me. That seemed to help. It would have been good to know that she was purposely going to drop me to readjust my back though!
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Bought my foam roller today. Came with an instructional dvd. $32, lol. Well as long as it helps fix my back it'll be worth it.
  • So the foam roller the guy in the video is using is longer than the one I've got. He can do more things than I can. I'm following along on the video and I'm like, I can't do that, mine's too short! What the hell. Looks like I have to eventually get another one. What a rip.
  • shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,818
    Good advice above. My experience is that back pain is rarely about the back. It's the result of weak core (abs, pelvic muscles) tight hamstrings, tight IT band. Too much sitting. Fix those things back pain will dissipate. LOVE my foam roller.
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 NYC Global Citizen
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/2/18 Fenway 1 9/4/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    2/4/22 EV Earthlings NYC 2/6/22 EV Earthlings Newark 9/11/22 MSG 9/14/22 Camden
    9/3/24 MSG 1 9/4/24 MSG 2 9/7/24 Philly 1 9/9/24 Philly 2
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    Who knew foam rollers were such a thing? I'd never heard of it until this thread. Thankfully, I don't have to deal with sciatica or any significant back pain, but I have been having more back stiffness since I started riding my bike more. My bike may not be set up in the most ergonomically correct way, so I'll have to look in to that. Also plan to start some sort of formal stretches soon - shetellsherself also tells me that yoga is the way to go.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    I pushed it too hard with the PT on Friday. And apparently i am a huge disappointment cuz i do everything wrong.

First exercise was lay flat on your back and but one of those big medicine balls under your feet and till it towards you 30 times.
    Next was stretching by pulling your leg up towards you. The point was to stretch your vertebrae or something.

Then last night I did a boatload of laundry and now I can't move. Ouchie.
    ldent42 said:

I pushed it too hard with the PT on Friday. And apparently i am a huge disappointment cuz i do everything wrong.

First exercise was lay flat on your back and but one of those big medicine balls under your feet and till it towards you 30 times.
    Next was stretching by pulling your leg up towards you. The point was to stretch your vertebrae or something.

Keep at it.And remember when "stacking "your spine up and down to slowly let it unfold one vertebrae at a time.
    rr165892 said:

ldent42 said:

Keep at it.And remember when "stacking "your spine up and down to slowly let it unfold one vertebrae at a time.
    I dont understand what this means.
  • deadendpdeadendp Posts: 10,434
    ^^ Don't feel bad. I don't either. RR, teach us the way, please! :prayer: Make our pains disappear with your instructive words!
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1