New Album?

2»

Comments

• primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,294

Pretty sure Matt is busy working on a new record with soundgarden presently.

he is?

Thayil said back in January that they would begin working on songs together very soon, as soon as Cornell was done with his solo record. Well Cornell announced in march his record was done so im assuming about now that they are writing and demoing songs. They are playing a festival in Canada next month. I'd bet that they plan on beginning recording after that and hope to have the record done before Matt goes to SA with PJ and Cornell goes to Australia in November as well.
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    NewJPage said:

my2hands said:

It's funny how people think putting on a tour, even a short one, is easy and requires no prep

I can't even imagine how much work gets put into this Latin America tour...

A tour is a lot more than 5 guys with instruments deciding to stand on a stage for 3 hours

That's true. However, other than a few rehearsals most of that work has nothing to do with the band
    That's exactly my point... a tour involves a lot more than 6 guys showing up and playing music for 3 hours

• davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    id rather have a Lost Dogs part duex
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    I'm betting it's closer to 2020 than now for a new album. We haven't heard a sniff about them playing together in any sort of creative environment since LB. I think it was 3 years or more for LB after the first hint about possible new music came about.

I wouldn't bank on a Lost Dogs II either. I just don't think they've worked together enough for a whole new collection of unreleased tracks.

I'm thinking that a No Code/Yield box is next on the agenda.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    I think we're going to get more and more side/solo projects as time rolls on........I'd love it if Ed did a side (not solo) project. Some type of Ramones or Mike Watty type of thing.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,295

I think we're going to get more and more side/solo projects as time rolls on........I'd love it if Ed did a side (not solo) project. Some type of Ramones or Mike Watty type of thing.

Get the Flea/Jack Irons band back together and record something
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
    NewJPage said:

what do you mean by BACK together???

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

NewJPage said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YxHaIExtxA
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,294
    DewieCox said:

I'm betting it's closer to 2020 than now for a new album. We haven't heard a sniff about them playing together in any sort of creative environment since LB. I think it was 3 years or more for LB after the first hint about possible new music came about.

I wouldn't bank on a Lost Dogs II either. I just don't think they've worked together enough for a whole new collection of unreleased tracks.

I'm thinking that a No Code/Yield box is next on the agenda.

If they continue the reissues with unreleased music added on then I don't see a point in another lost dogs.
    I'm hoping Ed releases those out of the furnace songs and tours!
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
  • foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    i don't think they are into it. stone has very young children,eddie has younger children and they seem to be all doing their own thing. when family is involved everything gets put on the back burners. i would hate to leave my young children for 2 months. you miss so much. unless you take them with you. i think a tour right now is more important for us than it is to them. hope i'm wrong cause i would like to see them .
    NewJPage said:

NewJPage said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YxHaIExtxA
    Well I have no idea why I had never seen this before, as this is exactly the type of thing Im hoping for as a future Ed side project.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• foodboy said:

i don't think they are into it. stone has very young children,eddie has younger children and they seem to be all doing their own thing. when family is involved everything gets put on the back burners. i would hate to leave my young children for 2 months. you miss so much. unless you take them with you. i think a tour right now is more important for us than it is to them. hope i'm wrong cause i would like to see them .

Sad but true. Though it seems they are more willing to tour than record. More profitable to tour.
    It would be nice if they would forego a month of touring for a month in the studio. Shoot they get to go home after a day in the studio, not true when on tour.

foodboy said:

Sad but true. Though it seems they are more willing to tour than record. More profitable to tour.
    It would be nice if they would forego a month of touring for a month in the studio. Shoot they get to go home after a day in the studio, not true when on tour.
    but doesn't Ed now live in Hawaii? that's a bitch of a commute.

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

foodboy said:

but doesn't Ed now live in Hawaii? that's a bitch of a commute.

He has a house in Seattle. I was told by a local he just sold his Hawaii house, but that doesn't mean he didn't buy a different one. Either way, they need to talk to Neil and remember how to write a jam-based album in a week like they did with Mirrorball
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,588
    New album timeline usually goes like this: Mike or Stone say something in an interview about having some tunes that they're sharing with the other guys. Jeff chimes in a month or two later to confirm. Three months after that they are in the studio "working on some stuff", a lot of it "mid tempo rockers". Then there's a pause in recording where we're all giddy, but the band is appears 2/3rd invested as they wait for Ed to hash out lyrics to the songs. Three months after that, they're back in the studio finishing tracks, maybe 20 or so tunes. After they're done in the studio, it's another six months for album artwork and release. Then we go full blown ape-shit. The earliest this process starts is January or February, 2016. New album in Spring, 2017.
  • vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425

EB218946 said:

nah to soon would be rushed. rather wait for something they put some real thought to.

Lol like the last couple records?? So were vs and Vitalogy and yield rushed? Not trying to be a dick but spending a lot of time on a record doesn't always translate to a better record.
    the length of time between records is getting to be a bit long. i know the guys can do whatever they want with their time. But, as a fan of 20+ years, I feel like I have to express my opinion.

Vs., Vitalogy, and No Code all came out in a span of less than 3 years. I think by most polls here, those 3 albums almost always end up in the top 5 best PJ albums.

The sense of urgency in Vs and Vitalogy is unmistakable. Take the opening to Vitalogy...Last Exit literally sounds like someone just hit record in the studio and this is what came out....

I know things have changed since then....age, family has a lot to do with it. i know there's little money to be made off an album which is the saddest part of this. i hope thats not reason why the guys don't record as much, but i have feeling it plays into it.

i also get the feeling that PJ has gotten to be too perfectionist. its like they are afraid of putting something out that might not be as good as Vs or Vitalogy. So, they end up second guessing themselves a bit in the studio. just my opinion.

vaggar99 said:

EB218946 said:

nah to soon would be rushed. rather wait for something they put some real thought to.

Lol like the last couple records?? So were vs and Vitalogy and yield rushed? Not trying to be a dick but spending a lot of time on a record doesn't always translate to a better record.
    the length of time between records is getting to be a bit long. i know the guys can do whatever they want with their time. But, as a fan of 20+ years, I feel like I have to express my opinion.

Vs., Vitalogy, and No Code all came out in a span of less than 3 years. I think by most polls here, those 3 albums almost always end up in the top 5 best PJ albums.

The sense of urgency in Vs and Vitalogy is unmistakable. Take the opening to Vitalogy...Last Exit literally sounds like someone just hit record in the studio and this is what came out....

I know things have changed since then....age, family has a lot to do with it. i know there's little money to be made off an album which is the saddest part of this. i hope thats not reason why the guys don't record as much, but i have feeling it plays into it.

i also get the feeling that PJ has gotten to be too perfectionist. its like they are afraid of putting something out that might not be as good as Vs or Vitalogy. So, they end up second guessing themselves a bit in the studio. just my opinion.

Money, I am sure, plays no part in it at all. And I'm not saying tht from an integrity standpoint, it's from a they simply do not need it standpoint.

Every bnd has a certain amount of passion when working with each other in the beginning. Thise were emotional and tumultuous years, good and bad, great and shit. But it was all passionate. Like any long term relationship, that passion tends to even out over time. They trust each other, they love each other, but they aren't best friends anymore. Coming together to make a record is, whether we want to belive it or not, work. Now, not work in the bad sense, like "i hate my job". Work in the sense of "i have to leave my family and routines and daily life again" work. they have to be away from pearl jam long enough for that fire to build again. They aren't even finished touring this record yet, and we're already asking for a new one! It's going to be a good 3-5 years before we see another pj album. pj is their main priority, but if i were them, id be excited towork with other people or on my own without anyone running the show or plnning massive scale tours. Jeff probably loves doing rndm. Bang out an album, play some clubs for a few weeks, end of story. Back home to skateboarding and drawing for 5 months. Mike seems to be digging his session work and philanthropy stuff. And stone probably enjoys glasses shopping.

There will always be pj. we just have to get used to it not being as often.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474

And Jeff is about to release RNDM's new album.
    Definitely no PJ album in the works IMO. I don't expect one in less than 2 more years.... if ever. image
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,244
    Aren't they all doing their own thing for the foreseeable future....except some shows here and there?
    I doubt we'll get anything for at least another 3 years.
    I remember when they had side projects. Seems like the last 8-10 years, Pearl Jam has been that side project.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    And with the rabid touring fan base, who needs new music? People would still go see them without new material.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,769
    Some posts have been removed and we want to remind you to be careful so your posting privileges are not in danger of being removed....please. It's not ok to discuss leaked/stolen songs here or direct people how to find any. It doesn't matter how long ago it was...don't do it. Thanks...carry on.
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425

vaggar99 said:

EB218946 said:

Money, I am sure, plays no part in it at all. And I'm not saying tht from an integrity standpoint, it's from a they simply do not need it standpoint.

Every bnd has a certain amount of passion when working with each other in the beginning. Thise were emotional and tumultuous years, good and bad, great and shit. But it was all passionate. Like any long term relationship, that passion tends to even out over time. They trust each other, they love each other, but they aren't best friends anymore. Coming together to make a record is, whether we want to belive it or not, work. Now, not work in the bad sense, like "i hate my job". Work in the sense of "i have to leave my family and routines and daily life again" work. they have to be away from pearl jam long enough for that fire to build again. They aren't even finished touring this record yet, and we're already asking for a new one! It's going to be a good 3-5 years before we see another pj album. pj is their main priority, but if i were them, id be excited towork with other people or on my own without anyone running the show or plnning massive scale tours. Jeff probably loves doing rndm. Bang out an album, play some clubs for a few weeks, end of story. Back home to skateboarding and drawing for 5 months. Mike seems to be digging his session work and philanthropy stuff. And stone probably enjoys glasses shopping.

i have to disagree on the money thing. in my mind, recording should be much more family friendly than touring. these days, the band is probably capable of recording an entire album in one of the band member's houses if they wanted to. But, they tend not to operate that way. Instead they travel to

vaggar99 said:

EB218946 said:

i agree that they probably don't need the money, but i'm sure its nice to have. Anyway, I don't have problem with anyone making more money especially PJ. At least I know the guys will generally do good things with it.

All I ask is that the band spend more time in the studio and start spitting out some records. Ask is the keyword. I can't demand it of course. I don't know, seems reasonable since they all still live close to Seattle I think?....Again, not telling anyone what to do...Just as a fan looking for more PJ to listen too..yeah, i know, stone might have to sacrifice a little time with the glasses.

I'm also bringing this up, well because there isn't much in the way of rock to look forward to anymore. Today I turned on the Apple Music and listened to Beats 1 radio for an hour or so. Not a single guitar oriented song. I thought the concept was supposed to something about taking the best music from around the world and making available to everyone.

i digress..

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090

he is?

Thayil said back in January that they would begin working on songs together very soon, as soon as Cornell was done with his solo record. Well Cornell announced in march his record was done so im assuming about now that they are writing and demoing songs. They are playing a festival in Canada next month. I'd bet that they plan on beginning recording after that and hope to have the record done before Matt goes to SA with PJ and Cornell goes to Australia in November as well.
    Per Instagram today appears he's still working on his new album
    www.cluthelee.com
  • kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,594

he is?

Per Instagram today appears he's still working on his new album
    It's possible, but I think it might just be a picture from the studio. His album comes out in the fall, so I would think that he would be done with that.

I think a new Soundgarden album will be in the works, although it will probably be at least a year before we see that.
  • dannydanny Posts: 2,270
    soon we hope
    danny d
  • green_girlgreen_girl Posts: 931

EB218946 said:

no, but they practically lived together back then. I don't think they've spent more time working, just longer gaps in between working times.

it's easier writing on a 15 hour tour busride than it is on a 90 minute red eye flight.

Then someone needs to put the 5 of them on a motor coach from Albany to Milwaukee so they can focus! No amenities, just a bus.