One small step for equality, one giant leap for Ireland!

2»

Comments

• SD48277SD48277 Posts: 12,243
    Woo Hoo!! Congratulations Ireland!! :lucky:
    ELITIST FUK
  • jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Posts: 2,682
    Is iontach an lá le bheith i d'Éireannach!

So proud to be Irish today as we make history :)
  • northerndragonnortherndragon Posts: 9,851
    :triumph: Congrats to Ireland and her people :clap:
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • bluegracebluegrace Posts: 2,357
    Hurrah for all the "Yes" voters.
    Kool Kat Club 1992, Moderna museet 1992, Globen 2012, Friends arena 2014
  • shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    Yay!
    did you see me? i saw you.
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Saw lots of happy Irish faces on the news this morning.

Well-done, voters!
    Thank you all so much for the support too :) The Irish are feeling the love today!
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    Good one Ireland!!! Congrats !!
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • HobbesHobbes Posts: 6,418
    Yes!!!Yes!!Yes!!Yes!!Yes!!Yes!!Yes!! :triumph::clap::lucky::peace:
  • PJSirenPJSiren Posts: 5,863
    Congrats Ireland!!!! I just read the good news!!!
    Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,888
    Congrats Ireland!!!!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    The atmosphere here today has been incredible, just one big party in town :)
  • InHiding80InHiding80 Posts: 7,623
    Nice to see Ireland give gays the same rights stupid people who don't love each other like Kartrashians and many Vegas quickie couples have.
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,630
    Great news! Thanks for keeping us posted, jennycoyle. Thumbs up all the way!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Posts: 16,427

Way to go Ireland! You've set a great example for the world!
    If you were to ever believe in signs, there was a double rainbow over Dublin as Ireland voted Yes to Gay Marriage....

• Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    Well done Ireland!
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    :-)
  • SD48277SD48277 Posts: 12,243
    :heart:
    ELITIST FUK
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    Not to take away from this achievement at all, but I read an interesting article yesterday in which the author basically said that the question should never have been put to a referendum. The argument was that whether or not a group of people have their basic human rights respected should not be up for a vote, particularly when people who might be opposed to it are the ones voting. The author made the point that if we had waited for the population of privileged white guys to vote to allow women the franchise, or to abolish slavery, we might have waited considerably longer.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    Any change to our constitution requires a referendum. Anyone who suggested it shouldn't have been put to a referendum presumably doesn't understand Irish law :)
  • eldarion75eldarion75 Posts: 2,488
    Im late to this thread..i worked really hard for the yes equality campaign here in Dublin, canvassing and i managed to raise €2500 for the yes campaign through a fundraiser i did on my woodwork page..it was a long hard few months and it was so distressing and upsetting seeing the lies, scare tactics and outright bullshit that the no side were forcing on us...but it was those exact things that lost it for the no campaign..they insulted every single irish persons intelligence and treated their ability to make their own minds up with utter contempt..you cannot do that..the no campaign in this referendum should serve as a masterclass for any future campaign anywhere, in what NOT to do to try win...

but..we did it..we fuckin did it :)
    i've never ever been prouder of my country and it's people..we stood up and finally shook off the hypocritical evil grip of the catholic church and held a banner up for freedom and equality for all that the whole world can follow...now the ripples, if not waves have gone out and Northern Ireland and Germany and Australia have answered the call and the fight for equality has begun in those places too..Hope they can win :)

Not kidding, it feels better and brilliant here now..we can do anything if we do it with honesty and energy and the right heart :)

still floating and so proud of my people :)
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Great post, eldarion - well done!
    ^^^^ Well done, Irish. :lucky: The world was watching and you should be proud. Let's hope that wave hits every shore on Earth. :peace:
    And i got to meet Senator David Norris, without whom NONE of this would be happenning in ireland..he sued ireland in the European court of human rights in 1973 to decriminalise homosexuality..and he WON!! but it's Ireland..and successive governments ignored the judgement..it wasn't enacted until 1993..20 years later...we owe all of this to him..and a funnier more witty intelligent and charismatic man you're unlikely to meet:) it was honour to meet him :) this was the day of the result announcement in Dublin Castle..we didnt know we'd won at this point...but yeah..we kinda knew :)
    And i got to meet Senator David Norris, without whom NONE of this would be happenning in ireland..he sued ireland in the European court of human rights in 1973 to decriminalise homosexuality..and he WON!! but it's Ireland..and successive governments ignored the judgement..it wasn't enacted until 1993..20 years later...we owe all of this to him..and a funnier more witty intelligent and charismatic man you're unlikely to meet:) it was honour to meet him :) this was the day of the result announcement in Dublin Castle..we didnt know we'd won at this point...but yeah..we kinda knew :)

And I found another Dub PJ fan :) Greetings!
    hey jenny!
    hey hello etc etc :) you ready for the biggest and best pride we're ever gonna have? i cannot f8ckin wait :)
    will ye like me page please? we can stay in touch that way, as im rarely on here other than run up to tour time!
    its here
    https://www.facebook.com/woodenideas75

id be most appreciative :)

hey jenny!
    hey hello etc etc :) you ready for the biggest and best pride we're ever gonna have? i cannot f8ckin wait :)
    will ye like me page please? we can stay in touch that way, as im rarely on here other than run up to tour time!
    its here
    https://www.facebook.com/woodenideas75

id be most appreciative :)

Done :)
    thanks!!