One small step for equality, one giant leap for Ireland!

This Friday, Ireland will vote in a referendum on marriage equality i.e. whether or not to allow same-sex marriage. This will hopefully be a huge step forward for our country, which has thus far been overly influenced by the Catholic Church and its conservatism and old-fashioned teachings (that's the nicest way of putting it!)

For anyone interested, here are a couple of clips that capture the mood this week :)

https://player.vimeo.com/video/127807935

http://www.votewithus.org/video/stephen-fry-qi-guests/

Comments

• jeffbrjeffbr Posts: 7,177
    Congrats! Good news for the Irish people. It is a win for civil liberty and love, and a middle finger to organized religion. I wish my country would follow suit, but I'm happy to live in a progressive state where we've recognized gay marriage and legalized marijuana. It is nice to see uptight, control freaks and religionists squirm a little bit.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Posts: 2,682
    You wouldn't believe some of the shite being spouted by the No side here but according to the polls it's looking good for Friday :)
  • deadendpdeadendp Posts: 10,434
    Marriage equality shouldn't be a question. It shouldn't be something we have to fight for. It should exist for EVERYONE. If I could vote in Ireland, I would be a yes vote for you!
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    I like that the Catholics are attempting to be a bit more mainstream, like allowing cremation. I do hope the vote goes through with a landslide YES.

No one should be denied a union of love.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • jeffbrjeffbr Posts: 7,177
    I love that the law will be due to Friday's vote of the people. The citizens were not going to wait for the government, legislature, or courts to lead them into the 21st century. The people of Ireland are taking the lead. I think I read that Ireland will be the first country to recognize/legalize same sex marriage due to popular vote.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Huh. I had no idea about the issue of cremation (ha! I almost wrote creation) within Catholicism.

I feel like same-sex marriage - much like acceptance (not tolerance) of homosexuality itself - has been a much-needed injection into the body of the world. Some veins are wide open, some clogged, some just need a bit of clearing or warming to allow for access.

Slowly and I hope surely, it will spread until no more injections are needed.

Many of us are behind you, Ireland! We'll be watching come Friday.
    jeffbr said:

I love that the law will be due to Friday's vote of the people. The citizens were not going to wait for the government, legislature, or courts to lead them into the 21st century. The people of Ireland are taking the lead. I think I read that Ireland will be the first country to recognize/legalize same sex marriage due to popular vote.

Any change in the Irish constitution requires a public vote, we're big into our democracy here so we are :)
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,630
    Go Ireland! Hoping it goes "yes" on Friday!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Here's an example of the kind of bigoted rubbish we're still contending with in Ireland

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_nmxXYIUqA

• eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
    Somebody handed my wife a leaflet promoting the 'No' vote. It was from a group called MassResistance and the piece was written by Brian Camenker. It basically listed all the things that had gone wrong in Massachusetts because of same sex marriages. It was pretty vindictive stuff. I had no idea who Camenker was and I had never heard of MassResistance. I did a search and found out that it is listed as a hate group by the US gov't. So the 'No' campaigners are using a hate group and a spewing of filth to persuade voters. Pretty sad.
    All of the 'arguments' being presented by the No side would depress you, to think my fellow Irishmen and women could still think this way is very sad. Thankfully nearly everyone I know seems to support a Yes vote but someone did come out (no pun intended!) on facebook the other day as a No voter and I admit I was taken aback. Happily, he's merely an acquaintance rather than a friend!

Of course everyone is fully entitled to their own beliefs and opinions, but all the No side seem to be doing is spreading misinformation and scaremongering. This letter is probably the most disgusting thing I've seen as a result of this referendum

http://entertainment.ie/life/Una-Mullally-received-a-disgusting-piece-of-hate-mail-from-a-No-voter-today/365130.htm
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    Love the Massachusetts reference. No, the state of Massachusetts is NOT interested in enabling you to raise your kid as ignorant little shit who grows up to be an ignorant bigot.
    Also love the pie charts - because ya know, Ireland should definitely aspire to be Texas. Or Florida. Truly, that's what the world needs. More Florida.

Even Mrs. Brown supports Marriage Equality!
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
    In case anyone underestimates the significance of this vote for those who are made to feel like second class citizens, this gives a stark insight

https://youtu.be/rZVD0eBQ3LE
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    Jenny, this is an interesting thread with some great videos - thanks for enlightening those of us non-Irish to what's going on in your part of the world.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • PJSirenPJSiren Posts: 5,863
    I hope it goes through! I think it's sad and pathetic that in this day and age we are still fighting for marriage equality...it should always be a yes!
    Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,901
    just like I said, if Ireland can ban smoking, ANYPLACE can....

if Utah can have gay marriage, ANYPLACE can....
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    The No side would be comical, were it not so depressingly scary that people in my country can still be so backwards....

http://i100.independent.co.uk/article/nine-of-the-worst-arguments-against-gay-marriage-in-ireland--g1egRODW8ZW
    For the day that's in it, in the name of love and equality, here's hoping we make Ireland a country we can be proud of :)

https://youtu.be/LHcP4MWABGY
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    What i m sure about it is that after the vote all will go to the "pub'
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    I hate how organised religions dictate to others even those who aren't religious. Piss off!
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • northerndragonnortherndragon Posts: 9,851
    Good Luck Ireland! Vote Yes!
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
    I'm on my way to my polling station right now :)
  • SD48277SD48277 Posts: 12,243

Good Luck Ireland! Vote Yes!

ELITIST FUK
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,763
    Exit polling? Whats the word so far?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    No exit polls and counting won't start til 9am tomorrow morning, but will update ye all with the result when we have it!
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    :lucky:
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    I read an article today wherein the "No" side claimed that their "voice had not been heard".

No, we heard you. We just disagreed with you.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    The No side claimed an awful lot of preposterous things haha
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
    It's going to be 'Yes'
  • deadendpdeadendp Posts: 10,434
    Yahoo front page says yes! :smile:
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1