Options

Let's Talk about Binaural - Released May 16 2000

Comments

• Options
    giventofly69giventofly69 Vancouver Posts: 849
    Never posted a video before. Hope this works.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=5cdLSYjKpzA

"Your light's reflected now, reflected from afar. We were but stones, your light made us stars."
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,502
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,054
    Gods' Dice
    Insignificance
    Of the Girl
    Grievance

fucking awesomeness
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    To me Binaural marked the end of them writing as a band and started the current trend with each person bringing in more finished ideas. Great album, but from Binaural on none can be compared to the first five albums.
    looking to hear of the earth
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420
    As the years go by, Binaural is furtively catching up to Yield for the title of "My Favorite."
  • Options
    TH113769TH113769 Posts: 437
    Spinning it right now. Other than Benny it is the best sounding album on vinyl. Start to finish it is awesome! God's Dice, NAIS, Of the Girl and Sleight of Hand are my favs.
    92 - Phoenix; 93 - Mesa; 95 - Phoenix; 98 - Phoenix; 2000- Phoenix; 2003 - San Diego, Las Vegas, Phoenix; 2006 - Denver 1, Denver 2, Las Vegas, San Diego;  2009 - Chicago 1, Chicago 2, San Diego; 2013 - Phoenix, San Diego, LA 1, LA 2, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle; 2014 - Detroit, Moline, Milwaukee, Denver; 2016 - Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Wrigley 1 and 2; 2018 - Amsterdam 1&2, Pinkpop, London1, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Werchter, Barca, Missoula, Chicago 1&2, Boston 1&2.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,163
    I keep telling myself that I need to listen to this again. Nothing on this album has ever excited me. Maybe I was in a different place than what this album was?

I need to try again...
  • Options
    darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,511
    Definitely took a long time for me to "get" this album. Definitely a headphone album. Definitely a head-scratcher as to why they left off Letter To The Dead and Fatal.

Definitely had a blast going to 7 shows on the Binaural tour. Definitely love the 2000 bootlegs and Touring Band 2000.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,434
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    AMENt_TO_THATAMENt_TO_THAT Norwegia Posts: 396

I keep telling myself that I need to listen to this again. Nothing on this album has ever excited me. Maybe I was in a different place than what this album was?

I need to try again...

Dude, sit down with a good pair of headphones, crack open your favourite brew, and give it another go. sHIT this baby sounds bad ass on a good set of headphones. Ooooh maaaan :get_outta_here: If you have it on vinyl, then you are in for something trULy special! I did a trade on LD a few weeks back, trading my spare Binaural for a Blue Fixer. I can not wait to hear from the guy what he thinks of the record when he gets to kick back and enjoy it properly. This should be something any PJ fan does on a regular basis.... Now, listen to it mate! It only takes up about an hour of your life... hehe
  • Options
    SuzyntheqSuzyntheq Posts: 48
    My favourite Pearl Jam album. I love the albums since this was released but I don't think they've come as close to anything as sublime.
  • Options
    Suzyntheq said:

My favourite Pearl Jam album. I love the albums since this was released but I don't think they've come as close to anything as sublime.

Sublime is such a perfect word for Binaural.
    "Your light's reflected now, reflected from afar. We were but stones, your light made us stars."
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165

Definitely took a long time for me to "get" this album. Definitely a headphone album. Definitely a head-scratcher as to why they left off Letter To The Dead and Fatal.

Definitely had a blast going to 7 shows on the Binaural tour. Definitely love the 2000 bootlegs and Touring Band 2000.

Agree, put your headphones on, close your eyes and just...listen :)
  • Options
    JammalamboJammalambo Posts: 1,321
    I fuckin agree..
    Binaural is a fuckin masterpiece.
    So fuckin good.
  • Options
    dannydanny Posts: 2,271
    awesome
    danny d
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,758
    I actually have somewhat of a humorous story from Binaural release day. I was 16 at the time and I was cited for underage drinking at a Red Hot Chili Peppers/Foo Fighters concerts the week before. So I was grounded from doing anything, including driving to and from school....my mom picked me up. I also wasn't going to be able to buy the album. But...one day after school my mom had to stop in CVS to pick up a prescription and I bolted for the Blockbuster video next door, bought the album, and secretly listened to it on my headphones (I was even grounded from my bedroom stereo) for the next few weeks.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,696
    edited May 2015

I actually have somewhat of a humorous story from Binaural release day. I was 16 at the time and I was cited for underage drinking at a Red Hot Chili Peppers/Foo Fighters concerts the week before. So I was grounded from doing anything, including driving to and from school....my mom picked me up. I also wasn't going to be able to buy the album. But...one day after school my mom had to stop in CVS to pick up a prescription and I bolted for the Blockbuster video next door, bought the album, and secretly listened to it on my headphones (I was even grounded from my bedroom stereo) for the next few weeks.

Wow, your mom was strict about groundings! I got grounded all the time, but I found thst if i just lay low for a day or two and didn't mention it and didn't act like I was dealing with a punishment, my mom simply forgot all about it. :lol: Basically, you're only grounded if you act like you're grounded, haha :tongue:
    (I have a feeling this might not work with all moms though)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,788
    Love binaural. My favorite. Was so happy to hear 4 songs during the fall tour last year. Can't pick a favorite song today. Love every second of it. Sublime indeed.
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,979
    there is no masterpiece when dealing with the one word the vast majority does not want to hear at a live show: evacuation.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,758
    PJ_Soul said:

Wow, your mom was strict about groundings! I got grounded all the time, but I found thst if i just lay low for a day or two and didn't mention it and didn't act like I was dealing with a punishment, my mom simply forgot all about it. :lol: Basically, you're only grounded if you act like you're grounded, haha :tongue:
    You gotta remember that I was 16 years old and caught with beer in my car in broad daylight. That entails serious grounding. Trust me, I've had the half-assed groundings that you've had many times over. But this time, there was nothing I could do but do the time.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,696
    edited May 2015

PJ_Soul said:

You gotta remember that I was 16 years old and caught with beer in my car in broad daylight. That entails serious grounding. Trust me, I've had the half-assed groundings that you've had many times over. But this time, there was nothing I could do but do the time.
    I stole my mom's car and crashed it into a van when I was 15, and she still forgot about the grounding within two days, lol......Mind you, she also took me to the police station and demanded that they charge me for auto theft. The cops talked her down to a charge of driving without a lisence. I guess all moms are different. :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    YLed2YLed2 Des Moines, IA Posts: 5,534
    edited May 2015
    Doesn't hold a candle to any of the first 5 albums. But still great. Why they're the best in da bizness.
    Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Las Vegas, NV - 10.31.12 (EV)
    Las Vegas, NV - 11.1.12 (EV)
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK - 11.16.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

• Options
    pearlgirl52pearlgirl52 At a Pearl Jam show, hopefully. Posts: 653
    I was just talking with fans at the Rosemont theatre Thursday about Binaural and how awsome it is. I like that you don't hear it's songs on the radio. Of the girl is one of my favorites. Love hearing everyones stories about it. I just turned 5 when it came out!
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

I was just talking with fans at the Rosemont theatre Thursday about Binaural and how awsome it is. I like that you don't hear it's songs on the radio. Of the girl is one of my favorites. Love hearing everyones stories about it. I just turned 5 when it came out!

Oh god. I was 35.

(despite that "whoa!" moment ^^^, still loving this thread =) )

It really is so cool how music and those who love it can mesh, and cross all boundaries and lines.
  • Options
    pearlgirl52pearlgirl52 At a Pearl Jam show, hopefully. Posts: 653
    hedonist said:

Oh god. I was 35.

It really is so cool how music and those who love it can mesh, and cross all boundaries and lines.
    Hah! Did not mean to make you feel old! Our love of PJ knows no age!
  • Options
    Driftin'AlongDriftin'Along Posts: 1,403
    I remember walking into Hoodlums Records (at the time, the on-campus record store at Arizona State) on release day. Wasn't into PJ at all at the time. I asked the owner of the store, "what is this playing right now." His response, "This is the new Pearl Jam album." Nothing As It Seems was the song. I bought the record then and there and that was all she wrote, as they say. Never looked back. Bought every record up to that point within a week and discovered Five Horizons on the Interwebs. Absorbed as much information as possible. Then I got to see them for the first time on that tour the day before their 10th Anniversary show. I couldn't imagine my life without PJ at this point. They are my religion.
    "Not only do you have sunshine but you have better thunder...fuckers." -Ed, Phx 10/21/00
    PJ * 10/21/00 - Phx * 6/7/03 - Phx * 6/29/06 - Milwaukee * 6/30/06 - Milwaukee * 11/19/13 - Phx *
    EV * 11/4/12 - Phx, AZ *
  • Options
    CornishManCornishMan Cornwall, UK Posts: 444
    edited May 2015
    So many great memories of this record. It was the first PJ album I bought on release day (I'd only discovered them less than two years earlier). I've bought every record since then on release day. It was also released on the 2 year anniversary of meeting the woman who is now my wife, so there is a significance that way as well.

And I also saw PJ live for the very first time two weeks after it was released (The May 29th London show), and they opened the show with 5 consecutive Binaural songs. The very first song they played that night was 'Of The Girl'. A song that hadn't really grabbed me after listening to it the previous two weeks on the album. However, hearing the song live took it to a completely different level for me, and made me 'get it' in a way I hadn't before I'd heard it live. It then became one of my favourite songs.

Over time, Yield has probably become my favourite PJ album, but I definitely have a real fondness for Binaural, as I really associate it with discovering Pearl Jam. I've been hooked on them ever since. :)
    Post edited by CornishMan on
    London #1 2000, Reading 2006, London 2007, London 2009, London 2010, Manchester #1 2012, Manchester #2 2012, Manchester 2012 (EV), Milton Keynes 2014, London #2 2017 (EV), London #1 2018, London #2 2018, London #1 2022, London #2 2022.
  • Options

hedonist said:

Oh god. I was 35.

Hah! Did not mean to make you feel old! Our love of PJ knows no age!
    I was 34. I feel kinda like a dirty old man for even adding on to this post... ;)
    Raleigh, NC., 8/31/98, Charlotte, NC., 8/4/00, Greensboro, NC., 8/6/00, Mountain View, CA., 10/31/00, Raleigh, NC., 4/15/03, Charlotte, NC., 4/16/03, Mountain View, CA., 10/25/03, Asheville, NC., 10/6/04, Philadelphia, PA., 10/3/05, Washington D.C, 5/30/06, Virginia Beach, VA., 6/17/07, Philadelphia, PA., 10/28/09, Charlottesville, VA., 10/29/13, Charlotte, NC., 10/30/13, Memphis, TN., 10/14/14, Greenville, SC., 4/16/16, Hampton, VA., 4/19/16, Raleigh, NC., 4/20/16, Columbia, SC., 4/21/16, Boston, MA., 8/5/16, Boston 9/2/18 & 9/4/18., Nashville, TN., 4/2/20., Nashville, TN., 9/16/22.

EV Solo - Washington, D.C., 8/17/08, Atlanta, GA., 6/24/09, Orlando, FL., 11/27/12.
  • Options
    SarahSarah Toronto Posts: 736
    Was 18. Binaural was the first Pearl Jam record I ever bought on release day, having become a fan in 1998 post-Yield. I went to a place called Edward's Records World on my second-period spare and was the first person they sold a copy to.

"Nothing As It Seems" was -- and still is -- one of my favourite songs of all-time, PJ or otherwise. It means a tremendous amount to me. "Sleight Of Hand" is another treasured fave.

The ensuing so-called Binaural era made a big impression on me. I spent hours on these Boards (then called Synergy) making new cyber-friends, being way too honest about my life, and worshipping the greatness of one of my inspirations, Jeff Ament. Good times.

The record brought me through one of the tough stages of my life, culminating in my first PJ show in October of 2000.

Love Binaural. Nice thread.
    "Somewhere in between / There and here / I got lost / I got scared..."
  • Options
    Sarah said:

Was 18. Binaural was the first Pearl Jam record I ever bought on release day, having become a fan in 1998 post-Yield. I went to a place called Edward's Records World on my second-period spare and was the first person they sold a copy to.

"Nothing As It Seems" was -- and still is -- one of my favourite songs of all-time, PJ or otherwise. It means a tremendous amount to me. "Sleight Of Hand" is another treasured fave.

The ensuing so-called Binaural era made a big impression on me. I spent hours on these Boards (then called Synergy) making new cyber-friends, being way too honest about my life, and worshipping the greatness of one of my inspirations, Jeff Ament. Good times.

The record brought me through one of the tough stages of my life, culminating in my first PJ show in October of 2000.

Love Binaural. Nice thread.

Nice post.
    One of my wishes / dreams is to hear NAIS live...