Options

Let's Talk about Binaural - Released May 16 2000

giventofly69giventofly69 Vancouver Posts: 849
This album is a complete gem. I'm listening to it right now ... trying to pick my favourite song. Light Years ... NAIS ... Of the Girl ... cannot decide.
"Your light's reflected now, reflected from afar. We were but stones, your light made us stars."

Comments

• Options
    AMENt_TO_THATAMENt_TO_THAT Norwegia Posts: 394
    It's their best!Enought said :)
  • Options
    Also good memories from my first ever PJ show 29th June 2000... Good days.
  • Options
    Imagine if they played the album in its entirety at a show ...
    "Your light's reflected now, reflected from afar. We were but stones, your light made us stars."
  • Options
    That would be a wet dream indeed! Maybe they do before the Binaural/Riot Act boxset 5 years from now. Sooooo hope I will be there when they do!
  • Options
    While you are on the subject of Binaural, go watch the Pinpop 2000 festival video on youtube... Ohh BABY! That Light Years on there is just...... just.... OMG it's good!
  • Options
    Will do ... later today. Thanks. Light Years is one of my favourites ... always makes me remember my dad.
  • Options
    Actually, Binaural was the record that got me back into PJ. Sometime after Vitalogy, I lost interest in PJ and ventured out on a trippy musical adventure for a few years. My GF at that time got me Binaural on CD and it blew my mind. I DID go buy Yield on vinyl in 98, but didn't listen to it much. When Binaural came out, I was back in the saddle, and never left again. And seeing as my first PJ show was that year, that might have something to do with it being my fav album. I dunno... All I know is that it is one FINE piece of art.. Shit... 15 years.... God damn... It's ageing well... Should put on Touring Band now... yeah..
  • Options

Will do ... later today. Thanks. Light Years is one of my favourites ... always makes me remember my dad.

Yeah, it plays on some strings that definately hits a special place. Hope it's all fond memories man!
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Always struck me as a dark album, but so entwined in that era of my life.

Thin Air - the light.
    Insignificance - what it was to me then, first time "heard" via ICQ. Oh time, where have ye gone?
    Grievance - Letterman!
    Sleight of Hand - Swan Dive meets And All That Could Have Been.
    Parting Ways - "are they breaking up?!!"
    Gods' Dice (love the plural'ing) - fuckin a!

Of the Girl is reserved for evenings of candlelight and hitting the bowl.
  • Options

Yeah, it plays on some strings that definately hits a special place. Hope it's all fond memories man!
    The song always makes me feel my dad 'close' by. Very special feeling. Best memories. Thanks for the good thoughts and vibes.
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    My first show was on the Binaural tour and Light Years was my favourite song for a very long time ❤️
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,149
    Living in Perth at the time. Then GF and I went to a listening party downtown. Great memories!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    SS9981SS9981 Posts: 1,729
    Can still remember the anticipation as I drove for an hour to the record store to get it right at midnight. Bought the album for home & the c.d. for the ride there. Not much sleep that night and a rough one at work the next day, but sooo worth it!
    Scott A. Setser
  • Options
    PaigePaige Posts: 365
    Of the Girl ... "Howie makes his getaway!"
    Binaural set off a great period for me, cause I met lots of online fans and it opened up a whole new universe.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420
    Like a few have already mentioned, my first show was on this tour. What an absolutely amazing album! I was at one of the happiest times of my life when the album came out and during the tour. The official bootlegs provided the soundtrack to my road trips to visit my gf while she was away at college. The album art, outer space has always amazed me. The use of the nebulae to convey the atmospheric feel of the music. No better album to just drift away and take it all in.

I made a playlist on itunes with the "original" track listing and listening to it now.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,641
    edited May 2015
    Possibly their very best album. I spun it yesterday while trying to read a book, and i couldn't retain a single word. The music/lyrics literally demanded 100% of my attention.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,087
    PJ_Soul said:

Possibly their very best album. I spun it yesterday while trying to read a book, and i couldn't retain a single word. The music/lyrics literally demanded 100% of my attention.

No Code is always my favorite but every time I put Binaural on the record player I think you might be right. An absolute gem of a record. And to me it might sound the best of all their records on vinyl. Love it!
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

I can't really read anything while listening to any PJ. :)
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,641

PJ_Soul said:

I can't really read anything while listening to any PJ. :)
    I hadn't really tried before, but yeah, could be tough for at least most of them!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,971
    listening now, love of the girl and NAIS
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,926
    Some great songs on it but to me it was pj s first disappointing album. Love grievance, parting ways and really wished rival would get some more live play. However After the 98 tour and yield, 00 was def a let down.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    We were but stones. Your light made us stars ....
  • Options
    RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,207
    My favorite album ever made. Rival, Of the Girl, Breakerfall, awesomeness!
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,968
    In Australia it was released on my birthday. 15th May, a day earlier than most parts around the world. Great memories!!
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,214
    a masterpiece...with NAIS.....there are no words...the sound of the album is magic
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,087

a masterpiece...with NAIS.....there are no words...the sound of the album is magic

Ive been waiting for you to get in on this and say something about NAIS! And you are correct sir!
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,779
    I remember telling friends (PJ buds) back in 2009 that this was my fav PJ album. The response I got was priceless. :). They were dumbfounded.

Aw memories. :).
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,214
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Stunning. That is all.
  • Options
    RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,626
    Sitting here watching the Bucs lose to the Cubs listening to a bunch of Binaural tracks. Love this version of NAIS, and what does Stone have on his head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8QHsbKgRes
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023