Sealed Benaroya Hall for sale, maybe

sadprofessorsadprofessor Posts: 1,033
So here's the thing. I haven't really posted around here since like a few message boards ago. I've kept up my Ten Club membership on the off chance PJ plays my neck of the woods (it's been awhile). I just don't really follow the band as much anymore, just kind of moved on.

Anyway, I do have a sealed Benaroya Hall vinyl. And I'm not sure how willing I am to part with it, still kind of have a sentimental attachment to that era of the band, it's when I saw them the most, blah blah, you don't care.

So I see the eBay auctions and discogs and I catch myself thinking that I could pay some serious bills and do some really responsible things with that kind of cash. And then I think that no one pays that much.

So to you my friends, what's really reasonable here? How many student loan payments would I get for a Benaroya Hall vinyl?
The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.

Comments

• Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    You have sentimental value for a cardboard box sealed in plastic wrap?

Sell
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • sadprofessorsadprofessor Posts: 1,033

You have sentimental value for a cardboard box sealed in plastic wrap?

Sell

I have sentimental value for what it represents, but point taken.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • AmishGuy91AmishGuy91 Posts: 826
    I'll start the bidding at $500
  • sadprofessorsadprofessor Posts: 1,033

I read the stickies, I think that's frowned upon around here. :)
  • joberschlakejoberschlake Columbus, OH Posts: 1,179
    Look the value up on eBay and discogs and post a price.
    1998: Cleveland
    2000: Cincinnati, Columbus
    2003: Cleveland, Columbus
    2004: Toledo
    2006: Cleveland, Cincinnati, Gorge Night 1
    2008: Washington D.C.
    2009: Chicago Night 1, Seattle Night 1, Philadelphia Night 3, Philadelphia Night 4
    2010: Columbus, Indianapolis, Cleveland
    2011: Detroit EV, Chicago 1 EV
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: Chicago, Pittsburgh
    2014: Cincinnati
  • joberschlakejoberschlake Columbus, OH Posts: 1,179

Of course, a low ball offer. It's worth more than that.
    1998: Cleveland
    2000: Cincinnati, Columbus
    2003: Cleveland, Columbus
    2004: Toledo
    2006: Cleveland, Cincinnati, Gorge Night 1
    2008: Washington D.C.
    2009: Chicago Night 1, Seattle Night 1, Philadelphia Night 3, Philadelphia Night 4
    2010: Columbus, Indianapolis, Cleveland
    2011: Detroit EV, Chicago 1 EV
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: Chicago, Pittsburgh
    2014: Cincinnati
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    If I had the cash that it would demand, I'd buy it & spin it immediately. I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed for a reissue.

To the OP, good luck & get it to a good home! Wish it was my home! Ha!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • redrawredraw Posts: 1,271
    OP of you put a price on it of around $800 I'm sure you could pay some bills, it would sell quickly on here and go to a good home as well as gaining you plenty of street cred :hang_loose:

Good luck whatever u decide to do...
    '95: Brisbane BEC March 21 & 22 '98: Brisbane BEC March 14 & 15 '03: Brad Surfers Paradise Troccadero Jan 11
    '03: Brisbane BEC Feb 8 '06: Brisbane BEC Nov 10 & 11 '09: Brisbane QSAC Nov 25
    '11: EV Solo Brisbane QPAC March 10, 12 & 13 '11: PJ20 Alpine Valley Sep 3 & 4
    '14: Gold Coast BDO Jan 19 EV Solo QPAC Feb 22, 23 & 25
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Better sell it before they reissue it and it goes back to being worth what it was sold for. #bennyfever
    www.cluthelee.com
  • PapaljuicePapaljuice Jacksonville Posts: 502
    I would be surprised to see them reissue it. Some bands like a couple of their piece to be limited and sought after. Hopefully I am wrong in this case, because I would love to own a copy.
    Pearl Jam - ST. PETERSBURG, FL 3-29-94 / WEST PALM BEACH, FL 9-22-98 / TAMPA, FL 8-12-00 / CHARLOTTE, NC 10/30/13 / ST. LOUIS, MO 10-03-2014 / TAMPA, FL 4-11-16 / JACKSONVILLE, FL 4-13-16
    Eddie Vedder - JACKSONVILLE, FL 11/24/12 / JACKSONVILLE, FL 11/25/12 / ORLANDO, FL 11-28-12
  • LakeyLakey Posts: 67
    edited May 2015
    Not to rain anybody's parade but an opened, near mint opened Benny, sold on eBay, just the other day for over fifteen hundred. That is crazy. So if you want to pay some bills then list it on there and get a lot of bills paid off. Take a bit of the profit and do something good with it. Just when you sell it, make sure you pack it good enough to be run over with a truck and still arrive in perfect shape. Ship USPS and insure it too. Oh and don't bother shipping outside of the USA, you will probably regret it.

Here's to hoping that PJ reissues their music on vinyl! Here here!
  • Horse2345Horse2345 Posts: 3,225
    Lakey said:

Not to rain anybody's parade but an opened, near mint opened Benny, sold on eBay, just the other day for over fifteen hundred. That is crazy. So if you want to pay some bills then list it on there and get a lot of bills paid off. Take a bit of the profit and do something good with it. Just when you sell it, make sure you pack it good enough to be run over with a truck and still arrive in perfect shape. Ship USPS and insure it too. Oh and don't bother shipping outside of the USA, you will probably regret it.

Here's to hoping that PJ reissues their music on vinyl! Here here!

What are you talking don't ship outside of US? Thats a bunch of BS, no different then shipping in the US if buyer knows the cost. Just use insurance.
    UBC 92, Vancouver 93, Vancouver 98, Seattle 02, Vancouver 03, Vancouver 05, Gorge 06, Gorge 06,Seattle 09,Seattle 09, Vancouver09, Montreal 11, Toronto 11,Toronto 11, Vancouver 11,Vancouver 13, Seattle 13
    edited May 2015
    A Benny is a piece of Americana, keep it in the USA. I don't believe USPS insurance covers you once it leaves the United States. FedEx's insurance is nonexistent. The insurance coverage is just in case something happens. It doesn't guarantee coverage if something tragic should happen during the shipping process. A $2000 record is a serious package to be shipping.
    Post edited by Lakey on
    Lakey said:

A Benny is a piece of Americana, keep it in the USA. I don't believe USPS insurance covers you once it leaves the United States. FedEx's insurance is nonexistent.

Lol, what a load. Of course insurance covers you for international mail. Use paypal and you're covered twice.
    UBC 92, Vancouver 93, Vancouver 98, Seattle 02, Vancouver 03, Vancouver 05, Gorge 06, Gorge 06,Seattle 09,Seattle 09, Vancouver09, Montreal 11, Toronto 11,Toronto 11, Vancouver 11,Vancouver 13, Seattle 13
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Keep it in the usa? What came to mind as I read that is Snoopy laughing at Charlie Brown.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,768

Better sell it before they reissue it and it goes back to being worth what it was sold for. #bennyfever

I still think originals would keep their value.
    There will always be collectors wanting the original keeping the market consistent.In fact I bet most if not all original Benny owners would by the reissue as well.

Although every time I go to spin Blind Melon I say I'm going to spin the reissue but I never do I always reach for my original.Same goes for my PJ catalog
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

• USA USA USA USA USA USA
    edited May 2015
    Haha. I've shipped a lot of albums over the years and never had an issue shipping overseas. Sold an Original Mars Volta Deloused to a gentleman deep in Brazil. It made it just fine. But we're talking about a Benny that is worth a lot. Even in your own household, single items worth $1000+ typically need a separate insurance policy to be completely covered. A $2000 record isn't completely covered under, say a typical renter's insurance policy. So you expect a shipping company to completely cover a $2k record for just a few bucks? Not gonna happen.
    Post edited by Lakey on
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    Just looked at the bay...1500 for an opened one and a cool grand twice for sealed ones... Bet that guy who paid 1550 for the open one feels like an ass.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.

Just looked at the bay...1500 for an opened one and a cool grand twice for sealed ones... Bet that guy who paid 1550 for the open one feels like an ass.

From my point of view, you have to be pretty nutty to drop $1500 on a record. But if that's the record you just have to have then who is anybody to say otherwise. I love PJ, but if I had one I'd sell it. You could use the money to go see PJ in South America :)
    Lakey said:

Haha. I've shipped a lot of albums over the years and never had an issue shipping overseas. Sold an Original Mars Volta Deloused to a gentleman deep in Brazil. It made it just fine. But we're talking about a Benny that is worth a lot. Even in your own household, single items worth $1000+ typically need a separate insurance policy to be completely covered. A $2000 record isn't completely covered under, say a typical renter's insurance policy. So you expect a shipping company to completely cover a $2k record for just a few bucks? Not gonna happen.

https://www.usps.com/ship/insurance-extra-services.htm
    Standard insurance up to $5k
    edited May 2015
    Horse2345 said:

https://www.usps.com/ship/insurance-extra-services.htm
    Standard insurance up to $5k
    That's for domestic shipping (shipping to an address inside the great land of the USA).
    Global Express Guaranteed is a 1 to 3 day USPS shipping method and insurance is available up to $2499! Priority international doesn't specify what the limit is as it is apparently calculated based upon weight and the value of the contents. So I take back what I said. Someone will be crazy enough to pay $2k. They will probably be Canadian ;) Take their Canadian money and pay many student loan payments.
    Also if shipping internationally, someone will be responsible for custom fees and taxes. That could add up with such an expensive item.
  • stukatzstukatz Posts: 110
    I don't buy that BS about keeping it in the US either. I recently received a shipment of vinyl totalling close to the value of a benny and had no issue (from the US to Toronto). It was shipped via USPS and it arrived in less than a week. If the box doesnt say "hey, there's a benny in here", it should arrive safely.
    edited May 2015
    True it should arrive safely if it is shipped properly. I'm going to assume SadProfessor hasn't sold and shipped very many records. My recommendation was based on the ease of shipping USA only would be (yes Canada is almost as easy but there is more paper work etc) as compared to shipping internationally.

Since the Professor probably hasn't shipped too many albums I was also trying to emphasize the importance of making sure it is packaged extremely well with lots of protection/ cushioning. Don't skimp on the packing process. If that is done properly then you can ship it to the moon without worry.

Also, you might get a little less money if you sold it here on Ten Club, BUT a Ten Club member will probably be a bit easier to deal with than a random eBay customer. You'll also save by not having to pay eBay fees.
  • TH113769TH113769 Posts: 434
    .....and plus the Ten Club member will hopefully spin the heck out of it. I bought Benny off of this board at a very fair price and it sounds so freaking good! My advice is to sell here - let a Ten Club member get the gift of Uncle Benny for a fair price and you get fair cash to pay off bills.
    92 - Phoenix; 93 - Mesa; 95 - Phoenix; 98 - Phoenix; 2000- Phoenix; 2003 - San Diego, Las Vegas, Phoenix; 2006 - Denver 1, Denver 2, Las Vegas, San Diego;  2009 - Chicago 1, Chicago 2, San Diego; 2013 - Phoenix, San Diego, LA 1, LA 2, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle; 2014 - Detroit, Moline, Milwaukee, Denver; 2016 - Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Wrigley 1 and 2; 2018 - Amsterdam 1&2, Pinkpop, London1, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Werchter, Barca, Missoula, Chicago 1&2, Boston 1&2.
    There is a way to send money through PayPal without occurring fees on either end. Somebody on here surely knows. Im not 100% on what you have to select in order to avoid it.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    TH113769 said:

.....and plus the Ten Club member will hopefully spin the heck out of it. I bought Benny off of this board at a very fair price and it sounds so freaking good! My advice is to sell here - let a Ten Club member get the gift of Uncle Benny for a fair price and you get fair cash to pay off bills.

But if selling for profit alone, doing so here makes no real financial sense.,

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,164
    Lakey said:

There is a way to send money through PayPal without occurring fees on either end. Somebody on here surely knows. Im not 100% on what you have to select in order to avoid it.

You're talking about the "Friends and Family" option. If I were buying or selling a Benny, I wouldn't use that option. It offers no buyer protection. Not smart for such a big ticket item.