Options

Did you ever really get into a TV series and then...

SpartanacusSpartanacus Oviedo, FL Posts: 821
...you gave up on it when it 'jumped the shark'?

I usually finish what I start, but after about 3 or 4 seasons of Nip/Tuck the wife and I skipped the last few seasons and jumped to the finale.

And the other one I just gave up on was HBO's first ever series, Oz. I made it a few episodes into Season 4, but it was taking me forever; plus it's just so damn dark and depressing. So the shock value entertainment finally wore on me. Those damn lock down alarms!!!

So I skipped to the finale with that as well and have 11 minutes left to watch tonight.

Thank Mother Earth I can focus on finishing Sons of Anarchy and then getting into something new soon!
19 Pearl Jam shows and still searching for Deep!
1998 (2) - East Lansing & Auburn Hills; 2000 (2) - Tampa & Noblesville; 2003 (2) - Lexington & Noblesville; 2006 (1) - Cincinnati; 2007 (1) - Chicago (Lollapalooza); 2008 (Ed in Milwaukee); 2009 (1) - Chicago; 2010 (1) - Noblesville; 2013 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2016 (Temple of the Dog in Los Angeles); 2017 (Ed at Ohana in Dana Point);
2021 (3) - Dana Point I, II & III; 2022 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2025 - Southern U.S. Tour Please!

Comments

• Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    Justified. Not because it jumped the shark, I just didn't like it.
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    I just can't sit still long enough to sit through them.. Commercials bug me, and I usually just don't watch tv.. How sad is it that I don't have the attention span to watch a TV program?!?!? Lol I DID make it all the way through the shows Leverage and Eureka.
  • Options
    PJSirenPJSiren Salem, OR Posts: 5,863

I just can't sit still long enough to sit through them.. Commercials bug me, and I usually just don't watch tv.. How sad is it that I don't have the attention span to watch a TV program?!?!? Lol I DID make it all the way through the shows Leverage and Eureka.

LEVERAGE!!! WOOT!!!
    Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • Options
    Or how about totally into a TV series and then completely let down by the ending???

*COUGHDEXTERCOUGH*
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    PJSiren said:

Or how about totally into a TV series and then completely let down by the ending???

*COUGHDEXTERCOUGH*

Lmao tell me the end do I
    Can fuck with my sister!! She LIVED to watch that show.. Paid for the TV channel just to watch it.. Then when she got divorced and had to drop cable she got all sad that she'd missed the ending! Lol
  • Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996

I usually finish what I start, but after about 3 or 4 seasons of Nip/Tuck the wife and I skipped the last few seasons and jumped to the finale.

And the other one I just gave up on was HBO's first ever series, Oz. I made it a few episodes into Season 4, but it was taking me forever; plus it's just so damn dark and depressing. So the shock value entertainment finally wore on me. Those damn lock down alarms!!!

So I skipped to the finale with that as well and have 11 minutes left to watch tonight.

Thank Mother Earth I can focus on finishing Sons of Anarchy and then getting into something new soon!

Agree 100% about Nip/Tuck. Loved it, then hated it. I felt the same way about Breaking Bad - sort of. Loved it in the beginning, then it was sort of a mess, picked it up later and loved it again. So I've never seen much of the middle.

(I haven't watched The Wire - everybody says I'm nuts.)
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    My god, Nip/Tuck sucked quite awful midway through the series. I also stopped watching after a few seasons. Same for Oz - I just couldn't get into it after awhile, despite it starting off so damn good.

Still love Dexter aside from the ending...keeps my hope open it'll make some sort of return.
  • Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    What does jumped the shark mean???

Oz was brilliant, though I may have been a bit young at 15 or 16 to be watching it...
  • Options
    Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790

Oz was brilliant, though I may have been a bit young at 15 or 16 to be watching it...

urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=jump+the+shark

Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,485
    House.
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Options
    hedonist said:

My god, Nip/Tuck sucked quite awful midway through the series. I also stopped watching after a few seasons. Same for Oz - I just couldn't get into it after awhile, despite it starting off so damn good.

Still love Dexter aside from the ending...keeps my hope open it'll make some sort of return.

I wouldn't watch it if it did return...I'm too angry!!! lol
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • Options
    RibbertronRibbertron Posts: 163
    I usually stick with series that I start through the end.

Arrow, I liked it at first and still kind of enjoy it, but I find it hard to hit play sometimes because it feels like every episode is the same. I'm somewhere in season 2.

I was told to watch the first season of Twin Peaks and not even bother going on to the next season, even though I guess there is a cliff hanger at the end of season 1.
  • Options

I usually stick with series that I start through the end.

Arrow, I liked it at first and still kind of enjoy it, but I find it hard to hit play sometimes because it feels like every episode is the same. I'm somewhere in season 2.

I was told to watch the first season of Twin Peaks and not even bother going on to the next season, even though I guess there is a cliff hanger at the end of season 1.

OMG, Twin Peaks is one of my ALL time fave shows....both seasons were sooo good!!!
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • Options
    MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,485
    Dexter I stuck with just to watch it with my wife, who loved it.
    The first 2 seasons were great.
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    Malroth said:

House.

I had the exact opposite reaction to house. I had zero interest for the first couple seasons and picked it up some where in the 3rd season and loved it.
  • Options

Justified. Not because it jumped the shark, I just didn't like it.

You have no taste. That was an awesome show.

Sons of anarchy. I loved the first few seasons but it has gone downhill. I'm almost done with season 6 and will finish it as I watched it this far but I do not enjoy it nearly as much as I was.
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,405
    edited May 2015

Oz wasn't HBO's first series. Unless you mean drama series
    Post edited by igotid88 on
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 said:

Oz wasn't HBO's first series. Unless you mean drama series
    Yes, I meant 1st drama.
    1998 (2) - East Lansing & Auburn Hills; 2000 (2) - Tampa & Noblesville; 2003 (2) - Lexington & Noblesville; 2006 (1) - Cincinnati; 2007 (1) - Chicago (Lollapalooza); 2008 (Ed in Milwaukee); 2009 (1) - Chicago; 2010 (1) - Noblesville; 2013 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2016 (Temple of the Dog in Los Angeles); 2017 (Ed at Ohana in Dana Point);
    2021 (3) - Dana Point I, II & III; 2022 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2025 - Southern U.S. Tour Please!
  • Options
    PJSiren said:

*COUGHDEXTERCOUGH*

Final episode on now and I am fully committed - for the second goddamned time =)
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    cdysinge said:

I read this and still don't get it.

Can the question be rephrased: Did you ever really get into a tv series and then give up on it when it started to suck?

I gave up on Bates Motel a couple episodes ago. I just don't care anymore.
    There's a few shows I stopped watching, but I was never really into them to begin with. NCIS, House, Californication. Actually I might have watched the end of Californication. I can't remember, but what does that tell you?
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    Basically, jumping the shark is selling out.
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,405
    ldent42 said:

cdysinge said:

I read this and still don't get it.

Can the question be rephrased: Did you ever really get into a tv series and then give up on it when it started to suck?

I gave up on Bates Motel a couple episodes ago. I just don't care anymore.
    There's a few shows I stopped watching, but I was never really into them to begin with. NCIS, House, Californication. Actually I might have watched the end of Californication. I can't remember, but what does that tell you?
    It's basically the point of a series you think they're just not trying anymore or the quality will go down from there. They had a site jumptheshark that had examples from different shows. It was coined by Jon Hein who then sold it to tv guide.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,474
    I watch four things on TV

American Pickers
    This Old House
    Antiques Roadshow
    Sports

That's it; that's the list.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    Well
    imalive said:

American Pickers
    This Old House
    Antiques Roadshow
    Sports

My list of things I watch would probably be at least 5 times the length of yours :)
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    Dexter

Loved the 1st 4 seasons and spiraled down after that. After the 3rd episode of season 7 I just said, "Fuck it, I'm done."
  • Options
    LongueuilLongueuil Posts: 2,224
    The Sopranos
  • Options
    imalive said:

American Pickers
    This Old House
    Antiques Roadshow
    Sports

This help explain the croc wearing, house cleaning lifestyle you seem to have.

Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    Dexter did flirt with the shark, but I made it through. As far as the finale...I didn't mind it. I think it left the series open for a 2nd run though. Perhaps rename it, label it a 'spin off' but instead of focusing on a supporting character, just focus on the lead.

If you like good finales, the BEST ever IMO was 'Dexter's' prior series, 6 Feet Under. Great series overall, and just an amazing way to wrap it up. I cried like a baby each of the several times I replayed that ending montage.

Really excited (yet sad) for the Mad Men finale. That is up there with my all-time faves for sure.

After that I will be focusing on finishing up Sons of Anarchy (when not watching Game of Thrones), then I'll watch the final seasons of Californication and Boardwalk Empire.
  • Options
    cdysinge said:

imalive said:

American Pickers
    This Old House
    Antiques Roadshow
    Sports

This help explain the croc wearing, house cleaning lifestyle you seem to have.

totally. I like reality...have no use for fiction, except in books....and, even then, it has to be believable.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    P.S. big day today....TOH and Pickers on the DVR. Woo-hoo!

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16