Options

Mystery Boxes VS. Mystery Vinyl

Let me start by saying I purchased neither.
But from coming on the board, and keeping track of what everyone received in these 2 mystery sales
I have to say it was MUCH MORE FUN to follow the Mystery Boxes.
It just seemed that people were much more happy when they opened those boxes.
It seemed to me that people got much more "Bang for their buck" with the boxes.
Though there were plenty of happy people as far as the Mystery Vinyl's are concerned.
Both ideas were GREAT, and a chance for you collectors to have fun, NO DOUBT.
Kudos to the 10club!
Take me piece by piece.....
Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....

Comments

• Options
    just_onejust_one Lisbon Posts: 1,982
    I think it was a good idea but the Mystery Vinyl box should only included PJ LP´s , that way everyone would be happy with what they got. I have not received mine yet and i just hope i dont get a side project (even a Backspacer would make me happy) yes there would be less chances to get a mystery vinyl box but everyone would be happy.
  • Options
    dottlesdottles Posts: 9,136
    I am probably being lured in to a trap considering the OP - however, just to highlight that the mystery boxes were only available to Members in the USA and thus the mystery vinyl has been much more fun for those outside of that country to receive.
    The mystery bags a few years ago were available for all to purchase (the ones with stickers etc in) and were great fun. Another round of them would be gratefully received.
    2009 - Manchester. 2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London, Berlin, Arras, Werchter. 2011 - PJ20 i & ii, Montreal, Toronto i & ii, Ottawa, Hamilton. 
    2012 - Manchester i & ii, Berlin i & ii, Stockholm. 2014 - Amsterdam i & ii, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Leeds, Milton Keynes.
    2016 - Boston Fenway i & ii, 2018 - Amsterdam i & ii, Pinkpop, London i & ii, Padova, Krakow, Barcelona, Seattle i & ii. 
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,299
    I never bought a Mystery Box online, but I got one at the pop up shop in Seattle 2013. There wasn't anything over the top rare in it, but I got a few things I liked. I got a merkinball 7" (which was great because my copy had a big scratch on it). I got a cd copy of the 2000 New Orleans show (which I didn't have). Then there were some posters and shirts I didn't really care for. There was also that really cool backspacer bouncy ball.

I guess the problems with the mystery vinyl is there were a lot of flops. The last two PJ albums and Side Projects can easily be found on vinyl for much cheaper than the mystery vinyl cost. People that wanted them probably had them already (for the most part). Thus getting these in the packages was pretty disappointing. Combine that with an easy to find xmas single and it's really really disappointing. Combine that with the lack of randomness and to find out your whole town got the same thing and you had zero chance at getting some cool. Extremely disappointing :(

I guess the mystery boxes had enough items that you were bound to get something ok. When there's only two items it's a lot harder.
  • Options
    just_onejust_one Lisbon Posts: 1,982
    Yes the next time they do mystery boxes they should allow everyone to buy them. not only US people
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,818
    dottles said:

I am probably being lured in to a trap considering the OP - however, just to highlight that the mystery boxes were only available to Members in the USA and thus the mystery vinyl has been much more fun for those outside of that country to receive.
    The mystery bags a few years ago were available for all to purchase (the ones with stickers etc in) and were great fun. Another round of them would be gratefully received.

Lured in to a trap?
  • Options
    Next it will be Mystery Stickers....Right?
    You get 10-20 mystery stickers? Just stickers
    You collectors would have fun!
  • Options
    monkeewrenchmonkeewrench Posts: 946
    just_one said:

Yes the next time they do mystery boxes they should allow everyone to buy them. not only US people

Or befriend someone in the US and have yours shipped to them. :smile:
  • Options
    dottlesdottles Posts: 9,136

dottles said:

Lured in to a trap?
    Possibly an incorrect choice of words. I guess that in the past I feel that sometimes a negative connotation is often expected.
    2009 - Manchester. 2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London, Berlin, Arras, Werchter. 2011 - PJ20 i & ii, Montreal, Toronto i & ii, Ottawa, Hamilton. 
    2012 - Manchester i & ii, Berlin i & ii, Stockholm. 2014 - Amsterdam i & ii, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Leeds, Milton Keynes.
    2016 - Boston Fenway i & ii, 2018 - Amsterdam i & ii, Pinkpop, London i & ii, Padova, Krakow, Barcelona, Seattle i & ii. 
  • Options
    Horse2345Horse2345 Posts: 3,242
    Mystery vinyl was very disappointing, wasn't even a mystery once someone within a 100 miles got theres lol
    Think it was just a quick and easy way to make a bunch of cash by getting rid of a bunch of stuff nobody really wanted. The lack of any effort was quite disappointing, i mean couples in the same house getting the exact same thing? Cmon.
    UBC 92, Vancouver 93, Vancouver 98, Seattle 02, Vancouver 03, Vancouver 05, Gorge 06, Gorge 06,Seattle 09,Seattle 09, Vancouver09, Montreal 11, Toronto 11,Toronto 11, Vancouver 11,Vancouver 13, Seattle 13
  • Options
    just_one said:

I think the problem is their current choice for shipping is so insanely expensive that they're now opting not to ship larger items out of the United States. They never used to do stuff like that until they started using UPS Mail Innovations.

I think they need to solve international shipping to solve that problem.

• Options
    dottles said:

dottles said:

Lured in to a trap?
    Possibly an incorrect choice of words. I guess that in the past I feel that sometimes a negative connotation is often expected.
    Alrighty then.
  • Options
    Zod said:

just_one said:

I think the problem is their current choice for shipping is so insanely expensive that they're now opting not to ship larger items out of the United States. They never used to do stuff like that until they started using UPS Mail Innovations.

How did the shipping work for the mystery vinyl's? You all just paid a flat price for the vinyl, and 10club took care of the shipping, correct?

• Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957

Zod said:

just_one said:

How did the shipping work for the mystery vinyl's? You all just paid a flat price for the vinyl, and 10club took care of the shipping, correct?

It was ten bucks for shipping in the US. Not sure about international. I'm sure it was insane.
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Zod said:

just_one said:

No the vinyl was $50, the shipping for international was an additional $26.49 USD. A bit on the expensive side. Most online websites I order from can ship substantially cheaper (and quicker) than that.

When the mystery vinyl went on sale the 10c said people could contact them for shipping quotes outside the US. For UPS Mail Innovations to mail a box that large it was around 80 dollars.
    Post edited by Zod on
  • Options

Zod said:

just_one said:

It was ten bucks for shipping in the US. Not sure about international. I'm sure it was insane.
    $10, no matter where you were located in the USA?
    That doesn't seem to extreme.
    But yeah, I bet the international cost was a whole different animal.
  • Options
    tino_11tino_11 Posts: 1,980
    No, international customers paid more. I think it was $26 to ship internationally.

For me, the mystery vinyl was great fun and I was very happy with what I got. However, it would have been much better if it was done at random. It was a shame that all the coloured PJ20's all stayed in the US and a lot of the less desirable vinyl ended up overseas, particularly in locations where all members got the same thing.
    2010: London
    2012: Manchester I, Manchester II, Manchester (EV) 
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 
    2017: London II (EV) 
    2018: Amsterdam I, London I, Prague, London II 
    2019: London (EV)
    2022: London I, London II, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam
  • Options
    just_one said:

I wonder why they were able to ship vinyl's over the Ocean, yet they couldn't ship boxes?

• Options
    SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 1,998
    I never managed to get a mystery box. My size was always sold out by the time I realized the sale was going on.

I did get a mystery vinyl, and got ITW plus Spin the Black Circle 7". I've had a great time with the mystery vinyl. The low point was trying to order it on RSD morning. I really would prefer they just do a lottery and tell us if we won the right to buy one. Their system can't handle rushes like that. But all in all I'm glad I participated. Thanks 10 club!
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    My mystery box was not very good. My mystery vinyl was not very good. But my Mystery poster was a HOMERUN! So, its all in the fun.
  • Options
    MedozK said:

My mystery box was not very good. My mystery vinyl was not very good. But my Mystery poster was a HOMERUN! So, its all in the fun.

What poster did you receive?
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209

MedozK said:

Kong
  • Options
    MedozK said:

MedozK said:

Kong
    Nice!
  • Options
    I bought an EV Mystery Box and even though I traded most of what was in it I enjoyed the whole process. I missed out on the Mystery Vinyl sale but would have to say that if I received side project vinyl I'd be disappointed.
    Raleigh, NC., 8/31/98, Charlotte, NC., 8/4/00, Greensboro, NC., 8/6/00, Mountain View, CA., 10/31/00, Raleigh, NC., 4/15/03, Charlotte, NC., 4/16/03, Mountain View, CA., 10/25/03, Asheville, NC., 10/6/04, Philadelphia, PA., 10/3/05, Washington D.C, 5/30/06, Virginia Beach, VA., 6/17/07, Philadelphia, PA., 10/28/09, Charlottesville, VA., 10/29/13, Charlotte, NC., 10/30/13, Memphis, TN., 10/14/14, Greenville, SC., 4/16/16, Hampton, VA., 4/19/16, Raleigh, NC., 4/20/16, Columbia, SC., 4/21/16, Boston, MA., 8/5/16, Boston 9/2/18 & 9/4/18., Nashville, TN., 4/2/20., Nashville, TN., 9/16/22.

EV Solo - Washington, D.C., 8/17/08, Atlanta, GA., 6/24/09, Orlando, FL., 11/27/12.
  • Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435
    I think the PJ Mystery Boxes were definitely a better bang for the buck in general. There were some great mystery vinyls, but pretty much all the mystery boxes were worth more than the $90 they cost to buy, and had more surprises. VInyl, I guess they did say what was going into them so not a huge surprise... you knew it was something off the checklist. Mystery Boxes, there were a LOT of random surprise things in them, even the crappy ones were pretty neat. EV mystery boxes, not so much, unless your goal is to have a ton of postcard shirts (should have known).

I missed the mystery bags for $10 a few years ago and regretted it.

I would be in full support of a mystery sticker pack in the future! $10 for MINIMUM 10 stickers (and then they throw in 20 cause that's the kinda stuff they did with the mystery box sale).
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435

just_one said:

I wonder why they were able to ship vinyl's over the Ocean, yet they couldn't ship boxes?

They said it was the size (not just the weight), due to the poster tubes inside I'm guessing. Pretty sure it was weight combined with dimensions that would have made overseas shipping outrageous.

Also the boxes were far from what I would call "crush proof."
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options

just_one said:

They said it was the size (not just the weight), due to the poster tubes inside I'm guessing. Pretty sure it was weight combined with dimensions that would have made overseas shipping outrageous.

Makes sense.
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957

just_one said:

Haha yeah, mine was beat to shit.
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    I liked both...the 'MYSTERY BOX' stencil on the box was a really nice touch. Liked the Mystery Grab Bags too, those were available to all members as well.
    I think the fact that there were so many random collectibles in the box, more people had fun, it was stuff most people didn't think of getting previously.
    With the Vinyl box, I'm glad to have gotten one since I don't have a lot of older PJ vinyl, side projects, or colored variations. There wasn't a huge randomness...only so many of the older albums, but many side projects or newer albums. People knew what the odds were, really shouldn't have been so pissed off-disappointment I can understand.

All in all, I like the mystery sales.

The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,149
    Mystery Posters! I got a 06' Ames Hawaii in one and some fancy Wrigley poster in the last one.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,641
    edited May 2015

just_one said:

You could still contact 10c directly and get a mystery box mailed to you outside of the US, but it cost something like $75+ just for the shipping, lol. I don't think many if any people wanted to pay that much for it.

People seemed to have a lot of fun with the mystery vinyl, but the mystery boxes were more fun by design. They contained way more stuff.
    And since the international shipping combined with the exchange rate made the mystery vinyl just under $100 CAD, which is insane, I am not at all surprised that people seem a little peeved by what showed up in Canada, which makes it seem like 10C didn't at all consider that it might not be cool to send all of their Moonlanders and RNDMs and Backspacers to the same geographical locations.... A LOT of people paid $100 for two pieces of vinyl that they could get for $25. And I would personally be close to infuriated if the exact same package was mailed to the same mailing address. It is very easy to make sure that doesn't happen, but no one bothered.

Love the idea, but 10C needs to be more careful about randomizing the mailout more next time.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata