DJ'ing - real musical talent or not?

what do people think about this? you got these so-called DJs who are considered musical stars these days. Is it really a talent? I don't really know what it takes to do it but seems like pretty much get a revolving bass beat (and a room full of kids on MDMA?) down and off you go. I saw one on Palladia of some guy(s) playing (is it considered playing?) a sold out Madison Square Garden. Maybe I'm just an old guy complaining about the next generations music but I really don't get it. I don't get how this is hard to do or really what the attraction is outside of a night club. baffles me. can anyone enlighten me on this phenomenon?

Comments

• The bar for musical stars is really low these days. But if you ask me, it's not talent. Someone who is good at RockBand impresses me more.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,901
    pjhawks said:

what do people think about this? you got these so-called DJs who are considered musical stars these days. Is it really a talent? I don't really know what it takes to do it but seems like pretty much get a revolving bass beat (and a room full of kids on MDMA?) down and off you go. I saw one on Palladia of some guy(s) playing (is it considered playing?) a sold out Madison Square Garden. Maybe I'm just an old guy complaining about the next generations music but I really don't get it. I don't get how this is hard to do or really what the attraction is outside of a night club. baffles me. can anyone enlighten me on this phenomenon?

I cannot.

some of these fuckers make tens of millions and fly around in their own private jets.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Something has to be said though for the;
    Beastie Boys
    Public Enemy
    and
    Run DMC

Something has to be said though for the;
    Beastie Boys
    Public Enemy
    and
    Run DMC

totally different...we're talking about people who spin other people's music.

like this clown:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Ladies and gentlemen, my next haircut,
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    imalive said:

Beastie Boys
    Public Enemy
    and
    Run DMC

like this clown:

Or

Or:

???
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    I'm surprised Rob knows who Corey Feldman's look-a-like is...
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    RKCNDY said:

imalive said:

Beastie Boys
    Public Enemy
    and
    Run DMC

like this clown:

Or

Or:

???
    You know you have a teenager when you know who all of these guys are..... unfortunately.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    ^^^ I don't have a teenager (neither does Rob), but my nephew had his mom drive him out here (from Montana) so I could take him to the Deadmau5 concert.

Apparently Paris Hilton is a DJ now too...

- Christopher McCandless
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Posts: 16,427
    I don't know what a Transformer being fucked in the ass by a food processor sounds like, but if I were to guess, it would be Skrillex.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Posts: 16,427
  • I really dig those glasses.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • whispering handswhispering hands Posts: 13,527
    edited May 2015
    The guy I almost married, is a DJ. He also has a Master's in sheet writing. ( which is a fancy way of saying he can re-write Symphonic music into whatever the fuck he wants). He also has a BC in musical arts.. As well as a Master's in Conduction ( he can write and conduct symphonies). He chooses to use that skill set to DJ.. Small time, back yard DJ. Have no idea how he decided that, or what is involved, I just know he spent nearly 400,000 dollars on education to DJ. But he loves it.. As for Skrillrx and Deadmau5... LOVE Deadmau5. Haven't really heard the others.. I think there is a talent in it.. Not a whole lot.. But you certainly have to have an idea of musical principle in order to make it work.. Otherwise it just sounds like crap.. So I would have to think SOME sort of talent is involved..
    Post edited by whispering hands on
  • Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani Posts: 7,790
    I think it depends on what is being done. Not a fan of Skillrex but a couple of the songs he did with Korn are ok (at best) and could be classified as talent. But for the most part no. I say the same thing about today's guitarists though. Its 2 or 3 chords played at different speeds and intervals. They can play a whole show on the same guitar as its all the same. You watch their hands during a show and they don't move at all. Music as a whole is being diluted thanks to YouTubs and the internet. I watch my 15 year old daughter fall in and out of love with bands weekly. The only one that has stuck is 21 Pilots with her. That means its probably time I check them out before I lose touch completely.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
    Lol yeah.. Kids like to change music God awfully quick! I never did that! Now, I just thought of a good point in defense of DJ'ing.. DJ Hahn.. From Linkin Park.. That guy uses indecypherable samples.. Or.. Mike Shinoda and he write a piece that he can 'cut'. So THERE's a DJ with some talent.. LOVE LP.
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524

hedonist said:

Bono, late teens!
  • SD48277SD48277 Posts: 12,243
    hedonist said:

hedonist said:

Bono, late teens!
    Close, but Bono was sporting the mullet proudly in his teen and early adult life.
    ELITIST FUK
    RKCNDY said:

you forget, I was a Vegas dude.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive said:

RKCNDY said:

*sigh* yes, yes you were...I promise not to tell everybody about your obsession with Celine Dio....ooohhh...oopsie.

- Christopher McCandless
    Lmao?? Oh?? Do tell!!
    RKCNDY said:

imalive said:

RKCNDY said:

*sigh* yes, yes you were...I promise not to tell everybody about your obsession with Celine Dio....ooohhh...oopsie.
    I'm actually more of a Cher guy :tired_face: without the gay tendencies.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive said:

RKCNDY said:

imalive said:

RKCNDY said:

I'm actually more of a Cher guy :tired_face: with more of the gay tendencies.

Fixed.
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • cdysinge said:

I think it depends on what is being done. Not a fan of Skillrex but a couple of the songs he did with Korn are ok (at best) and could be classified as talent. But for the most part no. I say the same thing about today's guitarists though. Its 2 or 3 chords played at different speeds and intervals. They can play a whole show on the same guitar as its all the same. You watch their hands during a show and they don't move at all. Music as a whole is being diluted thanks to YouTubs and the internet. I watch my 15 year old daughter fall in and out of love with bands weekly. The only one that has stuck is 21 Pilots with her. That means its probably time I check them out before I lose touch completely.

21 Pilots is actually pretty decent from what I've seen and heard of them. Two dudes involved and there does appear to be actual talent there. . .
    it's a fragile thing, this life we lead.

05/24/06, 06/28/08, 06/30/08, 05/17/10, 09/07/11, 09/11/11, 09/12/11, 09/14/11, 09/15/11, 10/15/13, 10/16/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/25/13, 10/27/13, 05/05/16, 05/08/16, 08/07/16, 09/02/18

ev: 06/15/11
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,630
    Agree or not, you have to admit... LOL...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyRDDOpKaLM
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Rollins is the man. THE MAN! What a high school quote that would make. 'I just want to f*ck on the floor and break shit" - Henry Rollins.
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • SD48277SD48277 Posts: 12,243
    brianlux said:

Agree or not, you have to admit... LOL...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyRDDOpKaLM

:heart:
    ELITIST FUK
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    edited May 2015

The guy I almost married, is a DJ. He also has a Master's in sheet writing. ( which is a fancy way of saying he can re-write Symphonic music into whatever the fuck he wants). He also has a BC in musical arts.. As well as a Master's in Conduction ( he can write and conduct symphonies). He chooses to use that skill set to DJ.. Small time, back yard DJ. Have no idea how he decided that, or what is involved, I just know he spent nearly 400,000 dollars on education to DJ. But he loves it.. As for Skrillrx and Deadmau5... LOVE Deadmau5. Haven't really heard the others.. I think there is a talent in it.. Not a whole lot.. But you certainly have to have an idea of musical principle in order to make it work.. Otherwise it just sounds like crap.. So I would have to think SOME sort of talent is involved..

I'm glad you didn't marry him.

Either you mis-remember the degrees he said he had or he was telling you lies. There's no such thing as a Master's degree of conduction. (It's called "conducting")
    There's no degree called a BC in musical arts. (They are either BA , BM, MM, or DMA degrees.)
    There's no such degree as a Master's degree in "sheet writing."

He was telling you stories about his education or you mis-heard him.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    justam said:

I'm glad you didn't marry him.

Either you mis-remember the degrees he said he had or he was telling you lies. There's no such thing as a Master's degree of conduction. (It's called "conducting")
    There's no degree called a BC in musical arts. (They are either BA , BM, MM, or DMA degrees.)
    There's no such degree as a Master's degree in "sheet writing."

He was telling you stories about his education or you mis-heard him.

Most likely he was lying! Lol he was really good at that!
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    Sweetheart, most likely he was. (!!)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    too much ayahuasca? :confounded:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11