Options

A world governed by reason and emotion

13»

Comments

• Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,937
    rr165892 said:

This pleases me on a sat morning.
    What kinda band you in Ben ? Where you guys play and what kinda jams?
    I figure ur OP so it's ok to sidetrack here.lol

All good! I don't play in a band - music is certainly my selfish release. I do what I do when I want it, for myself. If I can entertain others at the same time, so be it, but typically it's my therapy. That said, there's something invigorating about playing even an open mic, and I've done so plenty. I'm actually applying to busk at our local farmers' market just down the road from me every Sunday for the summer :)

Anything from folk to reggae to blues to jazz to bluegrass - I have pretty versatile taste, and think that all good music (that doesn't matter what genre) is what belongs in a person's repertoire.

As for what I play - if I've had enough gin, I love a boisterous and soulful heavy blues from my Telecaster, where I'll zone out and focus on expressing myself through it (Roy Buchanan is my biggest inspiration in that). With pot I tend to go for noodling around with Middle Eastern sounds over vamp-like tracks (Long Road works fantastically for this). Stone-cold sober I typically do singer-songwriter stuff; I particularly love trying to make my own spins on songs. Performing songs by female vocalists like Feist, Nina Simone and Adele as a man is a fun and interesting challenge. I also perform an acoustic version of Forty-Six and Two, as well as a vamp-y minor key Superstition, etc.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    benjs said:

rr165892 said:

This pleases me on a sat morning.
    What kinda band you in Ben ? Where you guys play and what kinda jams?
    I figure ur OP so it's ok to sidetrack here.lol

All good! I don't play in a band - music is certainly my selfish release. I do what I do when I want it, for myself. If I can entertain others at the same time, so be it, but typically it's my therapy. That said, there's something invigorating about playing even an open mic, and I've done so plenty. I'm actually applying to busk at our local farmers' market just down the road from me every Sunday for the summer :)

Anything from folk to reggae to blues to jazz to bluegrass - I have pretty versatile taste, and think that all good music (that doesn't matter what genre) is what belongs in a person's repertoire.

As for what I play - if I've had enough gin, I love a boisterous and soulful heavy blues from my Telecaster, where I'll zone out and focus on expressing myself through it (Roy Buchanan is my biggest inspiration in that). With pot I tend to go for noodling around with Middle Eastern sounds over vamp-like tracks (Long Road works fantastically for this). Stone-cold sober I typically do singer-songwriter stuff; I particularly love trying to make my own spins on songs. Performing songs by female vocalists like Feist, Nina Simone and Adele as a man is a fun and interesting challenge. I also perform an acoustic version of Forty-Six and Two, as well as a vamp-y minor key Superstition, etc.
    Love the two bolded parts and hellooo! You are encouraged to post your Tool and Stevie covers.

(tiniest of asides - hope your 46 & 2 is just ahead of the kids who covered it awhile back ;) )

I love Adele's voice.

Have you tackled Fiona Apple's? She's got a gorgeous growl.
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    I'm road trippin it to Canada when Ben sets up a full solo gig covering Adele,Tina Turner and Lorde.
  • Options
    benjs said:

rr165892 said:

DSC03521.jpg
    This guitar has a pet named Mike. He owns Mike.
    This picture makes me think, "If that guitar could talk"
    Then I realize it does, in fact it is very well spoken.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Ha! That was great, PJfan.

(however, I'd say the guitar not only talks, but screams at times too)
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,820
    edited April 2019
    benjs said:
    From an interview between Om Malik and self-made billionaire Brunello Cucinello (http://pi.co/brunello-cucinelli-2/): "This century is where enlightenment and romanticism must blend. A great idea that is born out of the mind and then goes through the soul — there is no doubt that the outcome is marvelous. If this idea is true, fair, beautiful, there’s no doubt that it is also a good idea. I think this applies to everything." I love this. Let ideas be inspired by the soul or by reason, but guarantee that they are filtered by your soul to ensure truth, fairness and beauty prior to realization. Curious to hear thoughts about this here!
    thank you for this article, @benjs
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,937
    benjs said:
    From an interview between Om Malik and self-made billionaire Brunello Cucinello (http://pi.co/brunello-cucinelli-2/): "This century is where enlightenment and romanticism must blend. A great idea that is born out of the mind and then goes through the soul — there is no doubt that the outcome is marvelous. If this idea is true, fair, beautiful, there’s no doubt that it is also a good idea. I think this applies to everything." I love this. Let ideas be inspired by the soul or by reason, but guarantee that they are filtered by your soul to ensure truth, fairness and beauty prior to realization. Curious to hear thoughts about this here!
    thank you for this article, @benjs
    And thanks for remembering it, @HughFreakingDillon ! Amazing how this is resonating with me so differently but still strongly several years later.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,820
    and with that, I bid this forum.....adieu! 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,687
    and with that, I bid this forum.....adieu! 
    The whole bloody thing or just AMT? 

You know April 1st was two days ago, right? 

You can't quit, bud. 

Nope, sorry,  not allowed.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.