No More
I Believe In Miracles
Alive

Thoughts?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,742
    I wasn't there, but I'd have no problem with that.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Options
    yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    I was pretty surprised myself at the amount of repeats. Especially on songs like All Night, WMA, Who You Are, Why Go, Miracles, and fucking No More. Damn, I couldn't believe he was gonna play that song again... Please, no more, No More.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • Options
    DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,742
    yosi wrote:
    Please, no more, No More.

He did that as a tribute to Tomas Young, who apparently is having a rough time. Regardless of how I feel about the song itself, I think it's touching that Ed would care enough to do that.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Options
    MikeLammi23MikeLammi23 Posts: 109
    I also have no problem with the repeats. Had a great time with great people all around me both nights.

I would have replaced one with "Black," but I know that should go without saying.

Two rocking shows though, and it's hard to not want to make the trip up to Mass.
    10c #TBD

"They said timing was everything, made him want to be everywhere,...there's a lot to be said for nowhere."
    "Let them wash away,... all those yesterdays."

09/10/98, 08/23/00, 08/24/00, 08/25/00, 04/30/03, 07/09/03, 07/14/03, 06/01/06, 06/03/06, 06/24/08, 06/25/08
  • Options
    JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    11 repeats in setlists of 25-30 songs: I think it's not much...
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • Options
    BEnglish017BEnglish017 Posts: 455
    yeah that was my beef with camden 2. there were 7 repeats and i was shocked. it's just not pearl jam, usually they play a lot of different songs on a 2 night stand. you think they are losing their mind? can't remember what they played the last night. oh well, i still love going. i have to say though the msg shows seemed kinda lackluster. i mean i am sure they were really good and really energetic but i was hoping for some crazy ass stuff busted out or maybe even like a full album busted out from the first to last track.
    Lexington 4.21.03, Chicago 5.16.06, Cincinnati 6.24.06, Lollapalooza 8.5.07, Virginia Beach 6.17.08, Camden 6.19.08, Camden 6.20.08, East Troy (PJ20) 9.3.11, East Troy (PJ20) 9.4.11, Wrigley 7.19.13, Pittsburgh 10.11.13, Cincinnati 10.1.14, Lexington 4.26.16, Wrigley 8.20.16, Wrigley 8.22.16, Wrigley 8.18.18, Wrigley 8.20.2018, Fenway 9.4.18, New York 3.30.20, Nashville 4.2.20, St. Louis 4.4.20, Bourbon & Beyond 9.17.22, Indianapolis 9.10.2023
  • Options
    yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    DeLukin wrote:
    He did that as a tribute to Tomas Young, who apparently is having a rough time. Regardless of how I feel about the song itself, I think it's touching that Ed would care enough to do that.

While that is nice, and touching, its still a concert, and the song isn't great, and they played it the night before.

Anyways, I feel like I'm complaining too much. I thought both shows were fuckin' rockin.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • Options
    arakiasarakias Posts: 281
    it was too much. the trio of songs featuring the guest singers might have made sense if they are NYC based but otherwise I didnt need Alive, Evenflow, No More, GTF, and DtE again.
    But I guess I had my heart set for more.
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    The setlists are similar because not everyone goes to both shows. They gotta play the hits. Any other band and 23 songs would have been repeated.

You guys are spoiled.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    scpjfanscpjfan Posts: 131
    JPR wrote:
    11 songs were played both nights...

Why Go
    All Night
    Corduroy
    Given To Fly
    Who You Are
    Evenflow
    Do The Evolution
    WMA
    No More
    I Believe In Miracles
    Alive

Thoughts?

I guess it would depend on how many of the 20,000 people at the concert were at night 1. I guess the 11 repeats means about 19 were songs not played the night before?
    Hail, hail the lucky ones, I refer to those in love.
  • Options
    JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    I'm really surprised that so many people dislike no more...
    What's the problem ? the lyrics ? the song itself ?

I personally really love it...
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    "Because you guys come here and don't say 'show me what you got' but instead say 'we'll show you what WE got'" :)
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    Jer1Jer1 Posts: 12
    The setlists are similar because not everyone goes to both shows. They gotta play the hits. Any other band and 23 songs would have been repeated.

Every time a topic like this comes up, this post should just be put into the thread and left there with no further posts. What band doesn't play any of the same songs each night? A lot of people can only go to one show, and they might want to hear some of the songs the band is most known for.

I'll repeat it: Almost any other band and 23 out of 27 songs would have been repeated.
  • Options
    DP13DP13 Posts: 269
    11 repeats: no big deal

BUT

many of the repeats were "rarities" that the casual fan that only attends one show, would not know.... so what is the point of playing them both nights?

If it was 11 radio singles I would understand... BUT ALL NIGHT EVERY NIGHT DOENSN'T MAKE ANY SENSE.
  • Options
    shawnb199shawnb199 Posts: 133
    BeerBaron wrote:
    My problem with it is its lyrical simplicity combined with its musical simplicity. I was sick of it th e3rd time I heard it.
    Pretty common for a folksy protest song. Patriot isn't exactly the most complex composition of all time, either.
  • Options
    shawnb199shawnb199 Posts: 133
    Jer1 wrote:
    I'll repeat it: Almost any other band and 23 out of 27 songs would have been repeated.
    Exactly, take a look at STP's setlists from the current tour some time. They play the exact same set, in the exact same order, every single night.
  • Options

You guys are spoiled.

I have to agree with this. I go to a PJ show with the attitude that if they play 2 or 3 of my favorites and the crowd energy is good I had a great time. Because there are very few PJ songs I dislike.

Plus last night, MSG2, Was my 15 year old son's 1st PJ show and he was completely blown away. He's been going to concerts (Mostly shows in clubs) for about 4 years so he's probably seen about 30 shows, but he was completely amazed.

Plus, no other band, besides Springsteen, plays 3 hour shows. I look at every PJ show as a gift, and savor it.
    Leave your lady on the cement floor.

"You boo us, you call us pussies, and still we come back." EV NJ1 2006

2008 MSG 2
    2006 NJ 1, NJ 2
    2003 MSG 1
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    Was I surprised there were 11 songs repeated? Yeah.
    Would I have preferred to hear a few different songs Night 2? Sure.

But fuck, I ain't complaining. Those were two of the best nights of my life.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    John BudgeJohn Budge Posts: 260
    Don't want to hear the same songs 2 nights in a row? Don't go to see the same band 2 nights in a row. Problem solved. You're welcome.
  • Options
    maccimacci Posts: 1,057
    I think I was more bummed that those repeat songs took time up that other songs could have been played.......really surprised there was no Black, Once or Footsteps either night.

I think this band really has spoiled me though with it's unique sets over the years.
    My lips are shaking.......
  • Options
    JPR wrote:

Why Go great sing along, the crowd loved it

All Night "the 3 singers, I knew they'd play that again"

Corduroy a crowd favorite, and played most shows

Given To Fly one of 2 repeats that surprised me they woudl repeat

Who You Are the 3 singers, I knew they'd play that again"

Evenflow Played almost every show

Do The Evolution also played every show

WMA the 3 singers, I knew they'd play that again

No More Not a crowd favorite, but it obviously means something to Eddie, especially with the inspiration for the song not doing very well. I think this sing along probably meant more to him than any other

I Believe In Miracles they wanted to bring up CJ Ramone for both nights/crowds

Alive this one surprised me, but very pleasantly. I really didn't expect them to play it again, but I did tell my wife, who wasnt at night 1, to be ready for the "YEAH!" part just in case

Thoughts?

see notes after song title
  • Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    John Budge wrote:
    Don't want to hear the same songs 2 nights in a row? Don't go to see the same band 2 nights in a row. Problem solved. You're welcome.

This guy is a genius.

Listen, every time I hear the opening chord of Corduroy I am the happiest camper. They could play this new W.M.A, Who You Are, Sad, Given to Fly etc. at every single show and I would be happy. Bottom line is, if you love a song you don't mind repeats. If it gets too much perhaps you have gone to too many shows.

Unless it's about boasting on a message board about how many different songs you have heard at shows, but I am kind of glad the band does not cater to that.
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    vitodacatvitodacat Posts: 469
    I've only been to the 2 MSG shows this tour. Were those 3 "guest" singers on All Night, Who You Are, and WMA at any other shows ??

*Official Marker in the Sand Fan Club Junkie*
    Member # 0003

wont let the light escape from me
    wont let the darkness swallow me
  • Options
    Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    Not bad songs to repeat, but they really gotta get rid of Corduroy and Given To Fly. I hear those songs at every show, and to be honest they don't do much for me at all.

I remember Boston 04'. Both nights and only 3 repeats (and can't go wrong with hearing Save You, Evolution and Amercian in Me at each show). Now that was mint. Hopefully Boston gets the same treatment in 08' : )
  • Options
    fluff4ufluff4u Posts: 193
    JPR wrote:

Why Go
    All Night
    Corduroy
    Given To Fly
    Who You Are
    Evenflow
    Do The Evolution
    WMA
    No More
    I Believe In Miracles
    Alive

Thoughts?

Not having been to the MSG shows but heard they were Video taping them I would think the repeat number of songs was to get the best versions to release them.
  • Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    I knew we'd get Even Flow, Given To Fly, DTE, Alive and Why Go again.

Once I saw those 3 singers out for All Night, I knew they'd be back for Who You Are and WMA, which is fine because I love all 3 songs... but if anyone wants to point the repeat finger, it's because of those three singers really and CJ Ramone... they wanted to get the guests out again and I have no probs there.

Of the repeats though I'd have to say that... I was hoping Guaranteed would be played instead of No More... I'm just kind of tired of No More, don't hate, it just doesn't do much for me although I completely agree w/ the message.

I love Corduroy so I didn't mind that.... but I kinda wished they played a different one instead... something like Hail, Hail even would have been nice in place of it.

I prolly coulda done w/ out I believe in miracles again, I thought it was gonna be Sonic Reducer at first but nope... Still a fun sing along though.

Still wishing they played Black last night, we'll get it in Hartford though.
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,011
    DeLukin wrote:
    I wasn't there, but I'd have no problem with that.
    ditto. who cares? Both nights rocked
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    ......and not one song from binaural.

what the shit.
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,461
    I was at 4 shows this tour... Camden 1 & 2 and MSG 1 & 2.

I think I counted 65 different songs they played over those 4 shows which is incredible.

Stop worrying about the repeats and look at how many different songs they give you from night to night.

Is there another band right now that comes close to 65 different songs over 4 shows?
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    Its not that much ... Miracles was repeated because the Ramone dude was in the house, Ed always takes his No More slot, and they did the tour breakouts (Who You Are, All Night) both nights ... Other than that, they repeated the "warhorses" (E-flo, Corduroy, DTE, Why Go, etc.).
    I'd love it if they did no repeats, but that typically does not happen. They still played, what, 30 or more songs across both nights that were not repeats? That's a lot. See other people's comments re. STP, and other bands.