Options

NEPAL NEEDS OUR HELP NOW!

sheckyshecky San Francisco Posts: 1,441
edited April 2015 in The Porch
Hello fellow members of the Pearl Jam family,
The people of Nepal are in immediate and desperate need of our assistance in response to the devastating earthquake and aftershocks they have recently experienced. As of this writing - Monday April 27, 2015, 08:30 PST - an estimated 3,800 Nepalese people have been killed and countless others are in immediate need of our help.
Eddie, Mike and Pearl Jam have supported and performed at past Tibetan Freedom Concerts (Tibet is Nepal's neighbor) and I would believe that the band would be very proud and supportive of any and all assistance our community can offer Nepal right now.
I think the most convenient and effective way to help immediately is to donate money to the Red Cross, which I myself have just done.
You can easily access the Red Cross online at redcross.org and direct your donation to the Nepal earthquake relief.
Please, let's do this right now! Thank you.
And can we please keep this post bumped to the top of the list? I can't imagine anything else here is of more importance right now.
Post edited by shecky on

Comments

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,159
    up..great post
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,779
    So devastating. Nice post.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,914
    Great post op. I ll be donating.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    kce8kce8 Posts: 1,636
    Thank you shecky. This is just a great post. We have to help where we can!
  • Options
    JV130312JV130312 STATE OF LOVE & TRUST Posts: 2,413
    Maybe help Baltimore first?
    I Know All The Rules But The Rules Do Not Know Me.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,934
    Bumping...

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Morning all.
    Very appreciative of your positive response to the urgent emergency in Nepal.
    Here is a very recent excerpt from an NBC news story on the Nepal earthquake:

"Rescuers were still digging bodies out of the rubble in the capital Kathmandu, where centuries-old buildings were flattened by Saturday's quake and many people were sleeping outside for fear of further aftershocks.
    Nepal's National Emergency Operation Center said the death toll had reached 5,057 and that nearly 11,000 people were injured in the quake. Officials have said it was impossible to tell how many bodies remained buried — meaning the death toll could continue to rise.
    Ross Prince, a 62-year-old Canadian tourist, was at the scene digging with his hands. Prince was on vacation when the quake struck — but said his focus immediately shifted to helping out with relief efforts.
    "All you can do is…turn around and help the others," he told NBC News. "It's awful. We have to do something...It just tears you apart."

I know that none of us enjoy reading about these tragedies - it's a real drag.
    But when natural disasters interject themselves in our otherwise happy-go-lucky lives we really need to wake up and spring into action.
    There will be plenty of time for Eddie concerts and Pearl Jam records and raffles for more Pearl Jam records - after we help deal with Nepal's current, urgent and dire need.
    I apologize if I come off as preachy - that is definitely not my intent.
    Please just consider this post a friendly nudge.
    Thanks again.
  • Options
    elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,051
    working on a raffle fund-raiser for this relief....should have something up and going in Lost Dogs hopefully today
  • Options
    edited April 2015

working on a raffle fund-raiser for this relief....should have something up and going in Lost Dogs hopefully today

Awesome man.
    I wouldn't begin to know how to put that together.
    And in the interim, if people who want to help can simply go to redcross.org and donate whatever amount of money they can squeeze it would be wonderful.
    And you will get something very valuable in return - good karma.
    Maybe even "Instant Karma!" (John Lennon)

Post edited by shecky on
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,934

Great work, dude. Great work!

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,940
    Donated some the other day; I spent a month in Kathmandu and met some unbelievable people during my stay. Of my students I kept in touch with, they are all safe thankfully - but I'm pretty gutted when I look at some of the pictures of the place I called home after a very short period of time. These are good, peace-loving people, who were living in such pathetically impoverished conditions before this natural disaster, and don't have an infrastructure conducive to long lives, nor to serviceability. It will be ages until life has any semblance of normalcy in the Kathmandu Valley. This is heartbreakingly sad.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    Excellent elwayvedder! (I'm sorry, I don't know your real name - I'll pop over to your 'Lost Dogs' raffle post and then PM you to introduce myself)
    You do work very fast which is exactly what's required in this emergency.
    Thank you sir!
  • Options
    elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,051
    shecky said:

Excellent elwayvedder! (I'm sorry, I don't know your real name - I'll pop over to your 'Lost Dogs' raffle post and then PM you to introduce myself)
    You do work very fast which is exactly what's required in this emergency.
    Thank you sir!

It's a team effort and I'm just a wheel moving things forward
    Thanks for the kind words though and bringing this to our attention
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,066
    Please post other links to where we can donate. I'll donate to something other than the red cross.

Thanks!!!
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Hello tempo_n_groove,
    If one goes to the Paypal website, there is a blue "donate now" button which allows you to choose from four different charities that will each forward 100% of your donation to the Nepal Earthquake Relief Fund.
    Thank you very much for asking!
    Post edited by shecky on
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,385
    bump
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255

Please post other links to where we can donate. I'll donate to something other than the red cross.

Thanks!!!

Smart man
  • Options
    Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
    edited April 2015
    since the corporations have been taking all the money, they are in the best financial position to do it, they should be the ones helping, it is not like they pay any taxes or our government wouldn't bail them out anyway, sorry but it is true, I barely have enough money to survive, if I could afford to I would though, but it is fucked up we live in a country where companies make billion dollar profits, pay no taxes, they lay off 10,000 American workers, give their executives record bonuses and then send the jobs overseas, when shit like this happens, since they are stealing all the money, they should be the ones fucking paying!
    Post edited by Big Bank Hank on
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,148
    Bump.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Good morning
  • Options
    And good afternoon
  • Options
    Sweet dreams
  • Options
    Another good morning in America.
    People still desperately need our help in Nepal.
    Thank you!
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,148
    Bump
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    It's very quick, easy and painless to donate money to this very urgent need in Nepal.
    You can go to paypal.com, click on the blue "Donate Now" button and you'll have four choices of charities to donate to.
    Any amount you can spare is helpful and desperately needed now.
    Thank you very, very much.
  • Options
    Started a service project today with my 8th grade class for Nepal. We'll see what happens.
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,385
    mcgruff10 said:

Started a service project today with my 8th grade class for Nepal. We'll see what happens.

Nice work.
  • Options
    That is fantastic mcgruff10 - good work!
    I presume your students are around 14 years old? That's a great age to learn that there are sometimes more important things in life than one's own wants and desires.
    Please relay to your students that the Pearl Jam family is very grateful and proud of them!
    And keep us updated on their efforts, would you please?
  • Options
    Yeah they are all 13 and 14. I broke 110 students into teams of two; they have to create a project to help the survivors. They then present. After we ll vote on the best idea and hopefully put it in action.