Options

Shannon Hoon Film: A Danny Clinch Documentary

SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
Help fund the kickstarter campaign and/or spread the word to make this happen: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/53195090/shannon-hoon-film-a-danny-clinch-documentary/description

About The Film

Directed by Danny Clinch, Colleen Hennessy, and the late Shannon Hoon.

Hoon's private footage is being made into a feature length documentary that is truly unique. The film Hoon made - the film that we get to complete with him - is incredibly powerful, creative and artistic, and we're intent on honoring the vision he had for what he was making through this collaboration.

This film will be primarily through Hoon’s eyes until his death, after which we see the impact of his life, his lyrics, and his music on the world. This portion of the film will include a look into the annual Shannon Hoon Vigil in Dayton Indiana, where fans from all over the world gather every year with Hoon’s mother around his grave for a two-day celebration of his life.

Comments

• Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    We're gonna pledge something, we are just waiting for a pay check. This looks amazing, I hope they get it done!
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    Saw this on his Instagram account yesterday. Would be awesome to have a proper soundtrack to go with it.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    I was just about to post this. Cant wait to see it. The only concern is that the lower level exclusives are pretty much non-existent. And that is where you get the majority of your funds.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    I am going to go watch a BM dvd now.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options

I was just about to post this. Cant wait to see it. The only concern is that the lower level exclusives are pretty much non-existent. And that is where you get the majority of your funds.

Yea, I funded without any reward because the only things I wanted were out of my price range. However, knowing Danny's history with them, plus having seen his work with Pearl Jam, I know this will be a labour of love and I can't wait to see it.

Plus Danny's just a super nice guy and fellow Pearl Jam geek so that alone is enough to get me to support his efforts!
  • Options
    jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,834
    Bump
  • Options
    $300,000 is a crazy amount of money to need to raise for this project.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    This is awesome. I will totally donate!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Currently at $22,000 bump
  • Options
    Almost $26,000 bump!
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    I hope they raise all their adequate funds, can't wait to see the final project! Danny Clinch is so talented, and Shannon Hoon was so very gifted as well. Blind Melon are extremely underrated!
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    samjam said:

I hope they raise all their adequate funds, can't wait to see the final project! Danny Clinch is so talented, and Shannon Hoon was so very gifted as well. Blind Melon are extremely underrated!

I suspect it will get made one way or another, but would be nice to see the fundraising move a little bit swifter! I think the lack of giveaways may be making folks less motivated. Didn't stop me, though!
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,558
    hopefully this actually gets released. the MMJ and Preservation Hall doc he did was great and never got a release of any kind.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    Suziemay said:

samjam said:

I suspect it will get made one way or another, but would be nice to see the fundraising move a little bit swifter! I think the lack of giveaways may be making folks less motivated. Didn't stop me, though!
    yeah, for some of the giveaways to be just "a hearty thank you" isn't going to be enough. people are charitible, but not $100,000 charitible.

it just blows me away that they are willing to pay $300,000 in legal fees to get the proper clearances all because Shannon decided to record home movies with trademarks in the background. Meticulously choose footage that doesn't have the MTV logo, for crying out loud! A good editor could do it. it would be a pain in the ass, but it could be done.

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options

Suziemay said:

samjam said:

yeah, for some of the giveaways to be just "a hearty thank you" isn't going to be enough. people are charitible, but not $100,000 charitible.

it just blows me away that they are willing to pay $300,000 in legal fees to get the proper clearances all because Shannon decided to record home movies with trademarks in the background. Meticulously choose footage that doesn't have the MTV logo, for crying out loud! A good editor could do it. it would be a pain in the ass, but it could be done.

I would have thought they could just blur any of those images....
    But yeah, the incentives for this things are pretty lame. I'm actually surprised they have as much as they do at this point. Even just throwing in a pin or something tiny like that would have made a big difference.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Suziemay said:

samjam said:

But yeah, the incentives for this things are pretty lame. I'm actually surprised they have as much as they do at this point. Even just throwing in a pin or something tiny like that would have made a big difference.
    if they are going to these lengths, the copyrighted images must be plentiful and very evident, rendering the film one big blur.

I don't know if the band is involved or not, but if they are, they could easily score $100K if they offered up signed vinyl, some type of merch, etc. a band of their stature could raise that amount with very little overhead in a jiffy. do a silver cd pressing of Shannon's home acoustic demos. anything. live show downloads. the list is endless.

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options

PJ_Soul said:

Suziemay said:

samjam said:

if they are going to these lengths, the copyrighted images must be plentiful and very evident, rendering the film one big blur.

I don't know if the band is involved or not, but if they are, they could easily score $100K if they offered up signed vinyl, some type of merch, etc. a band of their stature could raise that amount with very little overhead in a jiffy. do a silver cd pressing of Shannon's home acoustic demos. anything. live show downloads. the list is endless.

Yeah, I actually just assumed that the band isn't involved, since nothing like that was offered. If they are involved and they still didn't offer anything like that.... well then that's pretty dumb.
  • Options
    yeah, I don't know if the band is involved or not.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    did anyone get that graphic novel that was put out? I wanted it, but when I went through the checkout process and found out it was going to be something like $50, I thought "yikes" and quickly took my fingers off the keyboard in disgust.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    Reached $40K bump. 12 days/$60K to go. Not looking good for reaching their $100K goal...
  • Options
    Suziemay said:

Reached $40K bump. 12 days/$60K to go. Not looking good for reaching their $100K goal...

they recently added some items in an attempt to draw more people to the lower donations. I don't immediately recall what they were, but it wasn't enough to warrant any excitement from me, anyway.

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    Just added at the $375 (normally $750):

LIMITED REWARD - A signed 11x14 Danny Clinch print (retails for $750) Your choice listed on this page: Bob Dylan, Thom Yorke (Radiohead), Neil Young, Pearl Jam, The Black Keys, Bruce Springsteen, Jim James (My Morning Jacket), Foo Fighters, Green Day, Patti Smith, Tupac.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/53195090/shannon-hoon-film-a-danny-clinch-documentary
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    I noticed they are beefing up the lower amounts too; For only $20 you now get:
    Polaroid Book. Signed personalized paperback by Danny Clinch. Cover features Bruce Springsteen. Book features Eddie Vedder, Keith Richards, Black Keys, and more.

Before you essentially got nothing at all for this amount. They obviously figured out their huge kickstarter fundraising mistake and fixed it.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Polaroid Book. Signed personalized paperback by Danny Clinch. Cover features Bruce Springsteen. Book features Eddie Vedder, Keith Richards, Black Keys, and more.

Before you essentially got nothing at all for this amount. They obviously figured out their huge kickstarter fundraising mistake and fixed it.

Oh man, I didn't even see that. I wonder if I can get 2.5 of those for the $50 I donated :lol:

(no seriously).
  • Options
    Suziemay said:

PJ_Soul said:

Oh man, I didn't even see that. I wonder if I can get 2.5 of those for the $50 I donated :lol:

(no seriously).
    It's a very fair question!
    It's definitely not ideal for them to suddenly improve the rewards with only 8 days to go. Not unless they plan on including everyone who donated up until that point... but I doubt they will, and I guess they don't technically have any obligation there. I believe they can add stuff as they see fit, no? ... Isn't fair though.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Suziemay said:

PJ_Soul said:

(no seriously).
    It's a very fair question!
    It's definitely not ideal for them to suddenly improve the rewards with only 8 days to go. Not unless they plan on including everyone who donated up until that point... but I doubt they will, and I guess they don't technically have any obligation there. I believe they can add stuff as they see fit, no? ... Isn't fair though.
    I don't think they have an obligation but it isn't ideal for sure. If I were them, I would write to everyone who donated previously to let them know there are new reward options, and that they should write back if there's anything they are interested in for their level of donation.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    Surely the remaining band members would chip in the rest. Weird they haven't come out and said whether they support this at all.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options

Surely the remaining band members would chip in the rest. Weird they haven't come out and said whether they support this at all.

some of the stuff that band does I find very weird. I mean, they have a new lead singer. they made a (really good) album with him (and he killed it live-saw them in a 600 capacity club). then he wasn't in the band. then he is again. now, they are still doing shows with the guy. yet, everything on the website still points to SHANNON still being in the band. most of their newer merch is even geared towards the days when Shannon was in the band. their shirts all have a sexed up teenager Bee Girl on them, one of their NEW hoodies says "Hoon and Bros". Seriously? great way for your singer to feel like he's second rate. Can you imagine if everything Alice In Chains sold had a picture of Layne on it?

and yeah, if they are adding perks to donation tiers that previously had nothing, the people that donated should absolutely get those new perks.

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options

and this is also assuming they have the money to give. one major hit single 20 years ago probably wouldn't pay the bills of 4 guys and the 5th guy's estate for very long.

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    edited April 2015

and this is also assuming they have the money to give. one major hit single 20 years ago probably wouldn't pay the bills of 4 guys and the 5th guy's estate for very long.

Yeah, I don't think the members of the current Blind Melon are rich. They earn a living, but that's probably about it..... Actually, I wonder if just the Blind Melon gig does even that. It's not like the current band is raking in the dough through album sales and shows, lol. Can they even sell out a bar??
    And royalties from S/T and Soup spread that thin couldn't be doing much for them at all. Probably just pennies at this point.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on