are you a "popper"?

Comments

• cdysinge said:

PJSiren said:

My knees also creek going up the stairs anyone else's do that?

Yes. I hate stairs with a passion. I had my ACL and MCL in my right knee replaced when I was 7. Now 33 years later It hurts bad with lots of cracking and popping noises when I go up stairs, which sadly we have a 2 story house. My kids hate when I stand at the top or bottom of the stairs and yell up to them to go do something. I just can't go up and down the stairs all day. I had the surgery done before they could arthroscopic surgery on knees. I had it done when they actually cracked open your knee cap to get to the ACL. I have no cartilage in that knee now because of it.

I have a couple of interns at work and I make them every few hours go on a walk with me to give me any updates or for me to pass along what is happening in all the meetings in the war rooms. I have to crack my knee, back and neck before we walk. So yes, I do it multiple times a day and it does feel good when you do it right. I have this back/neck stretch I learned that you can do both at once. It is glorious.
    I HATE stairs.. They hurt so bad! But I make myself do
    It.
  • PJSirenPJSiren Posts: 5,863
    My knees don't hurt going up the stairs yet...they just creek like crazy...it's this sick sound....lol but I imagine given time it will hurt....

cdysinge that surgery sounds awful...
    Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,630
    I'm not but my chiropractor is. :smile:
    PJSiren said:

brianlux said:

Yeah I go regularly to a chiropractor too...but my neck needs popping daily...
    I have a nephew who can pop his neck. Yeah, like your husband says, it looks like he's trying to break it. If I tried that I probably would! I'm glad it works for you though.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:

PJSiren said:

brianlux said:

Yeah I go regularly to a chiropractor too...but my neck needs popping daily...
    I have a nephew who can pop his neck. Yeah, like your husband says, it looks like he's trying to break it. If I tried that I probably would! I'm glad it works for you though.

Yep I've already done this three times today....lol it's amazing... :smiley:
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • PJSiren said:

My knees don't hurt going up the stairs yet...they just creek like crazy...it's this sick sound....lol but I imagine given time it will hurt....

It is amazing how far medicine has come. I have a 6 inch scar down my knee from it and will need a second surgery on it at some point. Now they use cadaver tendons that will last a lifetime and come in from the side of your knee. Back then the new tendon was practically a rubber band (it was 1982). Since I was so little and have grown that rubber band has been stretched and will pop more than likely at some point. If I can get another 10 years out of it I will be happy. Its why I avoid stairs as much as possible yet let my wife talk me into a 2 story house. The lesson as always, the lady of the house rules the kingdom.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
    cdysinge said:

PJSiren said:

It is amazing how far medicine has come. I have a 6 inch scar down my knee from it and will need a second surgery on it at some point. Now they use cadaver tendons that will last a lifetime and come in from the side of your knee. Back then the new tendon was practically a rubber band (it was 1982). Since I was so little and have grown that rubber band has been stretched and will pop more than likely at some point. If I can get another 10 years out of it I will be happy. Its why I avoid stairs as much as possible yet let my wife talk me into a 2 story house. The lesson as always, the lady of the house rules the kingdom.
    Yeah...I had to have a total hip replacement a little over a year ago and I know will have to have another one in probably 20 years...so I hear that...but why did you have to have it done so young if you don't mind my asking?
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Posts: 16,427
    Neck and jaws, sometimes fingers. I have to crack my jaws about 5 times a day. I have TMJ disorder and the cartilage in the joints has completely worn because I clinch my jaw in my sleep. Dentist said it was perfectly fine to crack them, that the popping sound was the ball & socket realigning to the correct position. It makes other people cringe like you wouldn't believe! But the relief I feel after they crack is rivaled only by the feelings of warm sun and orgasms.
  • Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani Posts: 7,790
    edited April 2015
    ^^^^^^^^^ It is very rare to do it so young. It was 1982 when the first superman movies were coming out, the ones with Christopher Reeves. I was playing superman and jumped over an ottoman. On the way down I clipped my knee on the side of the chair next to the ottoman. When I get mad at my Mom this is how I push her buttons. After I did it she sent me to bed only to have my wake up screaming beating my knee with my fist because it hurt so bad. I only pull that one on my Mom once every ten years or so as I know she still to this day feels horrible. Before I had the surgery a few days later they took me to Toys R Us for a spending spree for the week in the hospital and then the few months on the couch. I got a Chips motorcycle toy with Eric Estrada's figure, a rubics cube and some other stuff. I will never forget that trip as that was the one time in my life my mom told me to just have it and handed me a shopping cart.
    Post edited by Amongst the Ani on
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
    Yeah I would cringe at your jaw popping...I have TMJ also...but I don't pop my jaw on purpose...lol
    Tattooed Dissident!
    cdysinge said:

^^^^^^^^^ It is very rare to do it so young. It was 1982 when the first superman movies were coming out, the ones with Christopher Reeves. I was playing superman and jumped over an ottoman. On the way down I clipped my knee on the side of the chair next to the ottoman. When I get mad at my Mom this is how I push her buttons. After I did it she sent me to bed only to have my wake up screaming beating my knee with my fist because it hurt so bad. I only pull that one on my Mom once every ten years or so as I know she still to this day feels horrible. Before I had the surgery a few days later they took me to Toys R Us for a spending spree for the week in the hospital and then the few months on the couch. I got a Chips motorcycle toy with Eric Estrada's figure, a rubics cube and some other stuff. I will never forget that trip as that was the one time in my life my mom told me to just have it and handed me a shopping cart.

Oh man...that's bad...your poor mom...I bet she does...I can only imagine how I would feel if something like that happened to my kid and I didn't know...
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • deadendpdeadendp Posts: 10,434
    PJSiren said:

My knees also creek going up the stairs anyone else's do that?

My left knee (the one that I had the ACL reconstruction surgery on-- hamstring endobutton reconstruction so from my own harvested hamstring) makes some grinding noises. I can hold my leg out straight, flex my left foot and my knee will crack. The orthopedic surgeon told me last year that he can get in there and fix it when I see it is time and my regular doctor said to hold out for as long as possible. So yes, my knee makes noises when I walk, but it is mostly just going up stairs.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    edited April 2015
    I'm a serious popper. Always twisting my back around. Neck gets a few tugs a day. Knuckles, elbows, knees, shoulders.

Wish I could anticipate when im gonna have one of those really greats cracks that goes all the way up your back or neck.

Learned a few yoga poses and those really get it good.

Had a bad popping experience a time or two...one morning I set up in bed and felt a pop go from the middle of my back down to the area area behind my junk. The following few days the whole area that I felt the pop was in enough pain to make me walk funny and I had the sick feeling like we dudes get when we get a nut shot. It was the worst lingering pain I've ever had other than a few major injuries.

I've read in recent years that there are no adverse effects to popping.
  • All it is is the releasing of gaseous build of in the cushioning of the disks.. As it 'pops' and the gas is released, you get that relief.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    I'm not a Popper, but I do own a harmonica.
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Jason P said:

:sunglasses:
  • I keep reading this as "Are you a pooper?"
    Lmao!
  • Dirtie_FrankDirtie_Frank Posts: 1,348
    I have my wife try to pop my back but I usually use a roller across my back. It is like heaven when I roll my back on that thing.
    96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    00 Virginia Beach;Camden I; Jones Beach III
    05 Borgata Night I; Wachovia Center
    06 Letterman Show; Webcast (guy in blue shirt), Camden I; DC
    08 Camden I; Camden II; DC
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II

I have my wife try to pop my back but I usually use a roller across my back. It is like heaven when I roll my back on that thing.

A roller? What kind of roller, where did you get it? My upper back could use popping too sometimes and I can't ever get it with stretching...
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,772
    Also been known to "pop"
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
    Did some research last night about popping and arthritis...WEBMD had this to say...dunno if it's the end all be all answer, but I'll go with it...lol

Tattooed Dissident!
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,178
    I like to pop my toes and always my surgically repaired ankle after two hours of cycling like I just did today. Now last year I was able to pop my thumb with one finger all the time now it won't pop at all. My other pops are my neck which is always stiff from mostly cycling big relief when I get a good one.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• I keep reading this as "Are you a pooper?"
    Lmao!

Same. At one time this thread was just below the "Bowel Movement Bandit" thread, which didn't help.

I'm a pooper : (
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    My knee was all cramped up for the last week-i tweaked it walking on the beach. Couldn't pop it for nothing.

Finally was able to pop it last night...man that felt great.

The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    I'm a popper and a serious pooper. Just saying
  • AnnafalkAnnafalk Posts: 4,004
    Jason P said:

+ 1 and I can play on it... "sort of"
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Poppers is a slang term given to the chemical class called alkyl nitrites that are inhaled for recreational purposes, especially in preparation for sex.
    #FHP
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    i used to crack my knees w/out wanting to

fun
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    I saw pooper too.

I wish I was a pooper.
    did you see me? i saw you.
  • SD48277SD48277 Posts: 12,243
    Horos said:

Poppers is a slang term given to the chemical class called alkyl nitrites that are inhaled for recreational purposes, especially in preparation for sex.

This is what I was thinking...
    ELITIST FUK
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524

I saw pooper too.

I wish I was a pooper.

Wouldn't you like to be a pooper too?