are you a "popper"?

As in knuckles, neck, back...anything that can and will pop?

I pop my neck drives everyone around my crazy...the sound...and my husband says it looks like I'm breaking my neck...but it feels so damn good and it helps make my neck loosen up, headaches go away...etc.

Anyone else drive their friends and family crazy doing this kinda thing?
Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
Tattooed Dissident!

Comments

• My knuckles. All the time. Does this mean I will probably be arthritic when I'm older?
    I feel like my neck needs to be cracked real bad. I can't do it myself though.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    I don't think I affect anyone around me, but I do roll / crack my neck two or three times a day.

Ankles and toes in the morning, and back as needed (ie, every hour or so).

Note - I am NOT bitching about it! :joker:
  • PJSirenPJSiren Posts: 5,863

My knuckles. All the time. Does this mean I will probably be arthritic when I'm older?
    I feel like my neck needs to be cracked real bad. I can't do it myself though.

I wonder too if it actually means we'll be arthritic....like that's what they say...but is it true or just an old wives tale....lol
    Tattooed Dissident!
    hedonist said:

I don't think I affect anyone around me, but I do roll / crack my neck two or three times a day.

Ankles and toes in the morning, and back as needed (ie, every hour or so).

Note - I am NOT bitching about it! :joker:

I do my ankles and toes too...and my one shoulder pops a lot when I stretch my arms but it's not on purpose....
    Tattooed Dissident!
    edited April 2015
    Siren, I just had a flashback...have you or others here had someone walk on your back, or have you done that for someone else?

(*wave to edit!)

Used to do it for my mom, she loved it, but I always thought it'd take her down.

Oh, and I have major arthritis in my back - no old wife business!
    Post edited by hedonist on
    No never had that done but I think I did it once when I was a kid to someone...I vaguely remember walking on someone's back....I got a messed up lower back though so couldn't have anyone do it to me...my l4 and l5 are smashing together....it's painful...hoping at some point they just fuse together like my Dr said they probably would because he said the pain would most like stop at that point....and I don't wanna have back surgery....lol
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • OMGkatwomanOMGkatwoman Posts: 3,230
    hedonist said:

Siren, I just had a flashback...have you or others here had someone walk on your back, or have you done that for someone else?

(*wave to edit!)

Used to do it for my mom, she loved it, but I always thought it'd take her down.

Oh, and I have major arthritis in my back - no old wife business!

Yep! I used to walk on my ex husbands back all the time (I'm petite), he is in construction and he swore up and down that it helped his sore back.
  • FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Posts: 4,810
    I first read pooper....then after reading your post I thought cracker lol - lol what kind of thread title that would have been :lol:

I crack my fingers and ankles - I have always had my oldest walk on my back. I do not believe it causes arthritis. It was explained to me that each "crack" "pop" lol lol releases oxygen or something and that's why it feels so good. It opens up the blood flow and instantly you feel better and that's why we repeat.

But what do I know. Ignorance is bliss.
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass Posts: 12,329
    FoxyRedLa said:

I first read pooper....then after reading your post I thought cracker lol - lol what kind of thread title that would have been :lol:

I crack my fingers and ankles - I have always had my oldest walk on my back. I do not believe it causes arthritis. It was explained to me that each "crack" "pop" lol lol releases oxygen or something and that's why it feels so good. It opens up the blood flow and instantly you feel better and that's why we repeat.

You're not the only one. :lol:
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
    FoxyRedLa said:

Lmao...are you a cracker...that would have been hilarious! :lol:

I don't know if it does cause it or not I'll have to ask a Dr...hedo says yes...but I've been doing my neck for years and nothing yet....no pain of any kind except the tightness...and yes on the releasing oxygen...and it releases what my chiropractic called "gunk" build up which is what causes the need to pop in the first place....so it does do good stuff....
    Tattooed Dissident!
    PJSiren said:

FoxyRedLa said:

Lmao...are you a cracker...that would have been hilarious! :lol:

I don't know if it does cause it or not I'll have to ask a Dr...hedo says yes...but I've been doing my neck for years and nothing yet....no pain of any kind except the tightness...and yes on the releasing oxygen...and it releases what my chiropractic called "gunk" build up which is what causes the need to pop in the first place....so it does do good stuff....
    Not saying the poopery/poppery causes it! Just that I've done the crackery and I also have the fucked up back. Definitely not a correlation thing from here. And my mom has the same issues too.

But...that release feels good like nothing else :)
    Oh it does! When my neck pops...it's magical....
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • deadendpdeadendp Posts: 10,434
    Yes, I am a serious popper. It drives my coworker crazy. My right hip and my back pop a lot. I've popped my knuckles probably since I was in 3rd or 4th grade.

My husband hugs me and cracks my back in a way I just can't get it to crack on my own. He can crack my upper back. A few weeks ago, I was out of town for work. I was desperate that I asked my coworker to hug me to see if she could crack my back. She's what my husband would consider "country strong" and believe me she tried. Just didn't work as well.

I agree PJSiren, when it happens, it is magical-- especially my neck!
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
    My hubby is a weenie when it comes to me he won't rub my neck hard cuz he's afraid of hurting me...so I doubt I could ever get him to do that...but my back doesn't need it as often as my neck...I do that multiple times a day....lol
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • I can
    Pop nearly every joint in my body.. Due to my hip injury, my hips op while I'm walking/ hobbling.. I get quite a few states sometimes!
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    My knee cramps up, and when I straighten it, it pops.

I'm bad for popping my back, used to be able to pop it all the way up: bbbbbbbbrrrrrrit yeah, now I'm lucky if I can get 3 pops.

My chiropracter said it's not bad to pop, just don't 'force' things too far, like if it's not popping, don't keep putting pressure on it, it's not 'ready'.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,772
    just knuckles and my right ankle/fibula (?). used to be able to crack/pop my jaw when i was younger
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
    RKCNDY said:

My knee cramps up, and when I straighten it, it pops.

I'm bad for popping my back, used to be able to pop it all the way up: bbbbbbbbrrrrrrit yeah, now I'm lucky if I can get 3 pops.

My chiropracter said it's not bad to pop, just don't 'force' things too far, like if it's not popping, don't keep putting pressure on it, it's not 'ready'.

My knees pop like that too...that's usually how I get my ankles to pop also...
    Tattooed Dissident!

just knuckles and my right ankle/fibula (?). used to be able to crack/pop my jaw when i was younger

Jaw??? Can I say ouch???
    Tattooed Dissident!

I can
    Pop nearly every joint in my body.. Due to my hip injury, my hips op while I'm walking/ hobbling.. I get quite a few states sometimes!

Luckily my hip never popped...I can't imagine that feels too good...
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • Yep. I thinks it's from so many years of dance and sports. I pop my shoulders, neck, wrist, ankles, toes, whatever bone is by the balls of my feet and fingers.

Yep. I thinks it's from so many years of dance and sports. I pop my shoulders, neck, wrist, ankles, toes, whatever bone is by the balls of my feet and fingers.

Oh yeah...I've seen dancers do that before they start...like on TV...
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • PJSiren said:

Yep. I thinks it's from so many years of dance and sports. I pop my shoulders, neck, wrist, ankles, toes, whatever bone is by the balls of my feet and fingers.

Yeah I'm constantly popping my ankles. I can be sitting and my desk and I will swivel my ankle around until I get a loud pop. It feels really tight if I don't. Same with my shoulders before I swim - I circle them until they feel swingy - for lack of better word.

PJSiren said:

Yeah I'm constantly popping my ankles. I can be sitting and my desk and I will swivel my ankle around until I get a loud pop. It feels really tight if I don't. Same with my shoulders before I swim - I circle them until they feel swingy - for lack of better word.
    That's what I've been doing with my left ankle lately ever since I sprained it back in February...it pops a lot now...lol
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • PJSiren said:

I can

Sometimes it is paunful relief.. Others it is excruciating repetition.. Like today.. Of course it didn't help falling down the stairs at church this morning!

PJSiren said:

I can

Sometimes it is paunful relief.. Others it is excruciating repetition.. Like today.. Of course it didn't help falling down the stairs at church this morning!
    I fall down all the time...I'm such a klutz...I stepped off the curb wrong fell that's how I sprained my ankle in Feb messed up both knees pretty good too...skinned em and bruised em all to hell....
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,630
    I'm not but my chiropractor is. :smile:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

My knees also creek going up the stairs anyone else's do that?
    Tattooed Dissident!
    brianlux said:

I'm not but my chiropractor is. :smile:

Yeah I go regularly to a chiropractor too...but my neck needs popping daily...
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • PJSiren said:

My knees also creek going up the stairs anyone else's do that?

Yes. I hate stairs with a passion. I had my ACL and MCL in my right knee replaced when I was 7. Now 33 years later It hurts bad with lots of cracking and popping noises when I go up stairs, which sadly we have a 2 story house. My kids hate when I stand at the top or bottom of the stairs and yell up to them to go do something. I just can't go up and down the stairs all day. I had the surgery done before they could arthroscopic surgery on knees. I had it done when they actually cracked open your knee cap to get to the ACL. I have no cartilage in that knee now because of it.

I have a couple of interns at work and I make them every few hours go on a walk with me to give me any updates or for me to pass along what is happening in all the meetings in the war rooms. I have to crack my knee, back and neck before we walk. So yes, I do it multiple times a day and it does feel good when you do it right. I have this back/neck stretch I learned that you can do both at once. It is glorious.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle