Options

California has lost its mind

2»

Comments

• Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    Yeah I instigated.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,575
    edited April 2015

PJ_Soul said:

rgambs said:

I can sympathize with the guy, but you gotta draw the line somewhere... When you are hobbling around in pain, your knee replacement is still an elective procedure and the state prob doesn't pay for, nor should they. This guy should have to live with whatever pain he is in, especially if he murdered someone. Unless, of course, he can raise the money and pay for it.

But that's my point... maybe it isn't an elective surgery. Maybe it's medically necessary. I din't know if it is or isn't, but I acknowledge that it's possible that it is. And this has nothing to do with feeling zympathy for the guy. It's simply about the legal requirement for the state to provide necessary medical care to prisoners.
    I can't think of one legitimate 'necessary' reason. The guy might be undergoing emotional and psychological distress, but isn't every other prisoner for some reason or another?

Sheer nonsense. It's Canada rubbing off on the US is what this is. This sounds like something we would love to do for a second degree murderer.
    It sounds to me like you maybe haven't considered or just don't understand the condition well enough, or don't understand the requirements for what is medically necessary enough, and are then adding a heavy dose of emotion related to prisoner rights (which i don't blame you for, especially living in Canada). Not to sound condescending, but I just really think you need more info before you have a well informed opinion on this one.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    FoxyRedLa said:

PJ_Soul said:

I just don't think we know enough about the patient to say from this article. We have no idea what his symptoms were. Yes, maybe it wasn't too bad and this would rightly be called an elective surgery. Then again, maybe not. Maybe the prisoner's condition was dire. Maybe he was going absolutely bugshit crazy and was an immediate physical threat to himself and others because of his condition. Or was living in such abject misery to the point where it would be considered cruel and unusual to make him continue on like that. Or yeah, maybe his lawyer fudged it and manipulated the system. No idea. Without that kind of info i don't feel like anyone can say one way or the other if this was a good or a bad decision.

I do see what you're putting down here but based on the info you do have, could you form an opinion? You will never get the info you're looking for - just not public knowledge.
    Well i do have an opinion. My opinion is that if the surgery is correctly deemed medically necessary, which is entirely possible, then the state should pay for it. If not, then the state shouldn't pay for it. I don't generally think of judges as being fucking morons, so my instinct is to assume that the judge really had good reason to deem this procedure medically necessary in order to uphold the state's legal responsibility to ensure that prisoners do not suffer unduly while in its care.

But i admit that there is a possibility that the judge could have been too lenient when considering whether or not this was medically necessary in this particular person's case (while still acknowledging that his condition COULD make it so). Again, it all depends on the medical details. I'm not about to say yes or no about this case in particular without those details. I can only say what my opinion is regarding the laws that are in play for this case.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    The case in Massachusetts where a judge ordered the same ruling was overturned in appellate courts and will likely be addressed by the supreme court. I doubt the surgery will take place until that ruling has been established.
  • Options
    callen said:

Yeah I instigated.

Shit disturber.

Now Brian and I are standing in opposite corners, pouting, and with our arms folded.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

rgambs said:

I can sympathize with the guy, but you gotta draw the line somewhere... When you are hobbling around in pain, your knee replacement is still an elective procedure and the state prob doesn't pay for, nor should they. This guy should have to live with whatever pain he is in, especially if he murdered someone. Unless, of course, he can raise the money and pay for it.

But that's my point... maybe it isn't an elective surgery. Maybe it's medically necessary. I din't know if it is or isn't, but I acknowledge that it's possible that it is. And this has nothing to do with feeling zympathy for the guy. It's simply about the legal requirement for the state to provide necessary medical care to prisoners.
    I can't think of one legitimate 'necessary' reason. The guy might be undergoing emotional and psychological distress, but isn't every other prisoner for some reason or another?

Sheer nonsense. It's Canada rubbing off on the US is what this is. This sounds like something we would love to do for a second degree murderer.
    It sounds to me like you maybe haven't considered or just don't understand the condition well enough, or don't understand the requirements for what is medically necessary enough, and are then adding a heavy dose of emotion related to prisoner rights (which i don't blame you for, especially living in Canada). Not to sound condescending, but I just really think you need more info before you have a well informed opinion on this one.
    Tell me what I might be missing here. Exactly what is it about gender confusion that demands the state pay for gender reallocation surgery for a person in prison for second degree murder?
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

rgambs said:

Tell me what I might be missing here. Exactly what is it about gender confusion that demands the state pay for gender reallocation surgery for a person in prison for second degree murder?
    The potential medical seriousness of his condition.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

rgambs said:

The potential medical seriousness of his condition.
    How serious can it be? Seriously.
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    So if he does get this blatant waste of tax payer money,does he get to transfer to a woman's prison? That's going to be his next play right?
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    edited April 2015
    I could be wrong but I can't see how this would be medically necessary. As others have said, if we can't afford to take care of regular law-abiding, tax paying Joe's, tax payers shouldn't have to pay for this.
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

So if he does get this blatant waste of tax payer money,does he get to transfer to a woman's prison? That's going to be his next play right?

You mean "her next play"
    More than likely.
    His playtime should've been over the second the word "guilty" was cast upon him.
    i wonder if she is hot though?
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,757

brianlux said:

Some just love bating their fellow forum members. This is getting old thirty.

Read the post beforehand, Brian. Callen and I have our own little gig going (my response to him was more in fun than anything). If you had any neutrality whatsoever, you would have addressed this to him and his post because... mmhmm (in as best BB Thornton Slingblade impression as I might be able to muster) he threw first.

I'll tell you what's really getting old though is your incessant need to weigh in on everyone's tact. For future, when making the loud and proud proclamation that 'you're out' because a thread doesn't meet your tastes... then stay out. Don't be a blowhard.
    Duly noted.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited April 2015
    brianlux said:

brianlux said:

Read the post beforehand, Brian. Callen and I have our own little gig going (my response to him was more in fun than anything). If you had any neutrality whatsoever, you would have addressed this to him and his post because... mmhmm (in as best BB Thornton Slingblade impression as I might be able to muster) he threw first.

I'll tell you what's really getting old though is your incessant need to weigh in on everyone's tact. For future, when making the loud and proud proclamation that 'you're out' because a thread doesn't meet your tastes... then stay out. Don't be a blowhard.
    Duly noted.

Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • Options
    edited April 2015

brianlux said:

brianlux said:

Duly noted.

fail

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    brianlux said:

brianlux said:

brianlux said:

Duly noted.

fail
    You would know.

I do know that posting and replacing with fail at later interludes supersedes the OP comments.
  • Options
    edited April 2015

brianlux said:

brianlux said:

brianlux said:

Duly noted.

fail ?
    You would know.

fail
  • Options

brianlux said:

brianlux said:

brianlux said:

Duly noted.

fail
    You would know.

I do know that posting and replacing with fail at later interludes supersedes the OP comments.
    A rather convoluted sentence, youngster.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    brianlux said:

brianlux said:

brianlux said:

brianlux said:

Duly noted.

fail
    You would know.

I
    A rather convoluted sentence, youngster.

I feel another pm coming on