Options

Iran Deal, the reset.....

Comments

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    mrussel1 said:
    Hi! said:
    I think the missiles are a big smoke screen, the airliner is the real story, no?
    I seriously doubt it.  The plane had no Americans and was plurality Iranian.  Also had a bunch of Canadians.  Both the Ukraine and Iranian gov'ts are saying mechanical failure.  Why would either US or Iran shoot that down, and then Ukraine comes out and says it was mechanical?  Occam's Razor day.  
    The airliner story will become moot and not this Occams Razor/Rube Goldberg thing you have going on here.  Unless they start pulling names from the plane that mean something then the black helicopters can start flying and that razor can be sharpened and Rube's machine for opening up that can of worms will be extravagant.
    I have no idea what this even means. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,912
    I think it's what Neil said:  "There's more to the picture/ than meets they eye..."
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,770
    mrussel1 said:
    Hi! said:
    I think the missiles are a big smoke screen, the airliner is the real story, no?
    I seriously doubt it.  The plane had no Americans and was plurality Iranian.  Also had a bunch of Canadians.  Both the Ukraine and Iranian gov'ts are saying mechanical failure.  Why would either US or Iran shoot that down, and then Ukraine comes out and says it was mechanical?  Occam's Razor day.  
    The airliner story will become moot and not this Occams Razor/Rube Goldberg thing you have going on here.  Unless they start pulling names from the plane that mean something then the black helicopters can start flying and that razor can be sharpened and Rube's machine for opening up that can of worms will be extravagant.
    Me either. 
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    What kind of a weird war game is this anyway?  A U.S. drone kills Suleimani.  Iran strikes back by targeting a base in Iraq but warns them first and choose a target that is relatively secure.  For the most part, the only casualties are Irag civilians.  Iraq does not seem to be too concerned about that.  And supposedly the Iranian missile strike may appease all involved.  WTF?

What the hell is going on here? 
    I say something along these lines and I get accused of being a Trump lackey, you say it and crickets...

Amazing.
    Not at all.  I think the point that Brian is making is that both sides may be looking for a way out of the escalation.  Iran felt like it had to counter, and they did so in a fairly innocuous way, with no apparent casualties.  That's a perfectly reasonable assessment of the next potential steps.  That's analysis and thinking about what is happening, not cheering or booing any side.  
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,912
    Again:  "

Iran strategically avoided US casualties with missiles - report

Iran is believed to have deliberately sought to avoid US military casualties in last night’s missile strikes on bases housing American troops in Iraq, according to US and European government sources familiar with intelligence assessments, Reuters writes moments ago."

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/live/2020/jan/08/iran-trump-news-today-live-latest-updates-attack-us-base-iraq

Great!  But what was the point and how does that avenge the killing of Suleimani?  That that I want more violence, OK, don't get me wrong.  I just don't get it.

But, shit, I'm operating on 5 hours sleep with a major hard day ahead of me at work.  Sheesh.  Off to get coffee and forget about this mess for awhile. 

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,019
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    What kind of a weird war game is this anyway?  A U.S. drone kills Suleimani.  Iran strikes back by targeting a base in Iraq but warns them first and choose a target that is relatively secure.  For the most part, the only casualties are Irag civilians.  Iraq does not seem to be too concerned about that.  And supposedly the Iranian missile strike may appease all involved.  WTF?

I say something along these lines and I get accused of being a Trump lackey, you say it and crickets...

Amazing.
    Not at all.  I think the point that Brian is making is that both sides may be looking for a way out of the escalation.  Iran felt like it had to counter, and they did so in a fairly innocuous way, with no apparent casualties.  That's a perfectly reasonable assessment of the next potential steps.  That's analysis and thinking about what is happening, not cheering or booing any side.  
    “We're eyeball to eyeball, and I think the other fellow just blinked."    
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,377
    brianlux said:
    pjl44 said:
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    Like this for example:

"Iran’s foreign minister, Mohammad Javad Zarif, said that Iran “took and concluded proportionate measures” with the attacks and that “we do not seek escalation or war”. This may mean that Iran feels Suleimani’s death has been avenged and this matter is now closed."

How is it that a country as angry as Iran feels appeased by an attack that basically did nothing but kill some Iraqi citizens and did little harm to the U.S.  Not that I wanted them to be more successful (I wish none of this had happened), but it's like, OK, you killed our #2 man so we are going to kick dust in your face and call it even.  WTF?  There's got to be more to it, right?  I don't get it. 

firing 12 missles isnt insignificant. they called his bluff. he let it pass for this long..... no tweets other than All is well..... reminded of kevin bacon in animal house during the parade....

If that's calling his bluff, he must be laughing his ass off.  It just doesn't add up.  The whole thing is nuts.
    Check out this thread on the topic:

I'm not on Twitter so can read more than what you posted.
    To summarize, he gives examples of Iranian covert operations that occurred later on as retaliation for other incidents. Basically saying, do not count on this being it - it's not their M.O.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,284
    brianlux said:

Iran is believed to have deliberately sought to avoid US military casualties in last night’s missile strikes on bases housing American troops in Iraq, according to US and European government sources familiar with intelligence assessments, Reuters writes moments ago."

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/live/2020/jan/08/iran-trump-news-today-live-latest-updates-attack-us-base-iraq

Great!  But what was the point and how does that avenge the killing of Suleimani?  That that I want more violence, OK, don't get me wrong.  I just don't get it.

But, shit, I'm operating on 5 hours sleep with a major hard day ahead of me at work.  Sheesh.  Off to get coffee and forget about this mess for awhile. 

again Brian. it goes back to trumps 52 sites tweet. he was very clear. dont fuck with us in any way anywhere. OR ELSE......

their response is now what motherfucker. we just lobbed 12 at you.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,032
    brianlux said:

it doesn't avenge anything. it shows their capabilities and they aren't fucking around. fuck off or next time there will be casualties. I gotta be honest here, it's interesting to me that leadership in the middle east seems way more tempered and rational and logical than the west after western aggression. 

leave it to trump. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    brianlux said:

it doesn't avenge anything. it shows their capabilities and they aren't fucking around. fuck off or next time there will be casualties. I gotta be honest here, it's interesting to me that leadership in the middle east seems way more tempered and rational and logical than the west after western aggression. 

leave it to trump. 
    Iran is not irrational.  I think they are well aware that they need to keep Europe neutral and sympathetic to their position.  If they lose Europe, they are in a real bind economically, so that has to be a priority for them.  This is why they are rightfully bent out of shape for the administration refusing the visa for their foreign minister to come speak to the UN assembly this week.  They intended to make a case there, I'm sure.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

Amazing.
    Exactly, I said pretty much the same thing but you called what I said a "trumps apologist playbook".  I didn't cheer shit.

Like i said you people can be amazing on here at times...
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Hi! said:
    I'm not going to bother to explain it.  It was a joke you didn't get.
  • Options
    Trump is now 21 minutes late to the presser...
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,377
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

Amazing.
    Exactly, I said pretty much the same thing but you called what I said a "trumps apologist playbook".  I didn't cheer shit.

I dealt with this yesterday. Don't waste your time.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

Amazing.

That wasn't my point.  My apologies.  My response to Ben was about Occam's Razor in general, not your post.  I don't think yours was a pro-Trump post, but I don't think it's a reasonable possibility either.  If they wanted the general gone, the supreme leader doesn't need a war with the US to make it happen.  I thought it was you musing about it.  I do believe that Trump supporters do have to twist themselves into intellectual knots to defend his actions though.  That was more the point I was making.  
  • Options
    So all we get is chest beating from that presser?
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,116
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

Amazing.

That wasn't my point.  My apologies.  My response to Ben was about Occam's Razor in general, not your post.  I don't think yours was a pro-Trump post, but I don't think it's a reasonable possibility either.  If they wanted the general gone, the supreme leader doesn't need a war with the US to make it happen.  I thought it was you musing about it.  I do believe that Trump supporters do have to twist themselves into intellectual knots to defend his actions though.  That was more the point I was making.  
    Absolutely....they basically have to abandon the majority of beliefs they had during the Bush/Obama years.

I used to argue with my sister in law about deficits....now she says deficits are good
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    Thoughts on Trumps comments? Could’ve been worse IMO. 

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,019
    I actually thought the speech was good.  Gotta give credit where credit is due.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Hi! said:
    I didn't watch, but if "it could've been worse", that usually means he read something prepared.  
  • Options
    "Iran appears to be standing down". LOL. what a load of horseshit. Iran called Trump's bluff. But if his constant need to be seen as the stronger force deescalates the situation, so be it. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Hi! said:
    They kept him from declaring war I guess.  I still can't get over how horribly he reads from that teleprompter.  It seriously looks like the first time he has seen the comments.  

It is interesting how he doesn't correct his errors.  He seriously said "toleride" instead of tolerate and I don't think he even noticed

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,418
    So all we get is chest beating from that presser?
    what did you expect? from this petulant idiot..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    Hi! said:
    They kept him from declaring war I guess.  I still can't get over how horribly he reads from that teleprompter.  It seriously looks like the first time he has seen the comments.  

It is interesting how he doesn't correct his errors.  He seriously said "toleride" instead of tolerate and I don't think he even noticed
    Lol, I’ll take it. 

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Hi! said:
    Hi! said:

Lol, I’ll take it. 
    accomplimentshades?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,359
    Hi! said:
    He appeared to have difficulty breathing. Was there any explanation why he was late?
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,802
    edited January 2020
    Post edited by CM189191 on
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    Hi! said:
    He appeared to have difficulty breathing. Was there any explanation why he was late?
    THey originally announced a speech last night and then said he would do it today.  And yes, then he was late.

I'm not much for conspiracy bullshit but there are a lot of threads going around about him wearing a diaper, etc.  There are quite a few photos where that appears to be the case.  

He didn't adlib at all and didn't take questions at the end....

• Options
    wearing a diaper. jesus christ. who cares if he does. seriously, some older men have control issues. can you imagine them being broadcast globally?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,774
    edited January 2020
    If you close your eyes and change his voice, he sort of sounded like a president here. Teleprompter of course...but still.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com