Options

Creating and Selling Custom PJ Posters

ShamelissShameliss Canada Posts: 82
Not sure where to go, and maybe It won't go anywhere.

I've made a number of Custom Posters and posted these images on a PJ Facebook Page for the purpose of discussion and to see what people think of them, and people keep asking me to sell them.

I explained I'm sure there's legalities to that and only officially licensed folks are allowed to do so, but a few of the members mentioned to go to the ten club and get "Licensed" ....as so far I have 231 requests in two days for various posters which I have NOT sold a single one as I've been designing these for my office. (Its a weird hobby I know)

If anyone can point me in the right direction if there is one I'd appreciate it immensely.

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2015
    This are just a few examples.

Post edited by Shameliss on
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,706
    Nice designs. I'm not sure getting approval is likely but you never know., you should really reach out to TenClub and go from there. It might be an issue for Curtis but TenClub would tell you immediately if it's possible

Possibly even pm SLH
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,426
    Some of those graphics are already the licensed work of other artists. I don't think you can get a license for someone else's design without permission from the artist as well.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Yes, The Vedder one is a version of Shepard Fairey's HOPE poster (Which was made just for me, so I removed that sample)
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    Watch out for the "Pearl Jam" graphics you use too...
    these may be copyrighted items!!!
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,007
    I know there is a person on here that does custom pin designs and are pretty cool looking. You'll most likely get red flagged or asked to join the design team!

I hope the latter…

:-)
  • Options
    Yeah Brad will own the lettering at least. Adds complication
  • Options
    I mess around with making custom PJ stuff... pins, shirts, mugs. But never for sale. I mostly hand the pins out at shows to people I meet.

1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    Ya. I haven't sold or intended to sell any, was just making some for personal use, then discussing it on the Facebook fan page a bunch of people started asking if they could buy them etc....so I thought I should at the very least look into it, otherwise they will remain my personal art projects displayed only in my tiny little office.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,007
    on2legs said:

I mess around with making custom PJ stuff... pins, shirts, mugs. But never for sale. I mostly hand the pins out at shows to people I meet.

My man!

• Options
    redstuff76redstuff76 Posts: 252
    The record crate?!?!? Are you kidding me?!?!

That is ridiculous! It would sell out in seconds!

That is seriously awesome!!
  • Options
    Thanks!

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,877
    the record crate is really really sweet on2legs. maybe get a contract with jacks in red bank!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    on2legs said:

Thanks!

that is fantastic, well done
  • Options
    cardosocardoso Porto Alegre-BR Posts: 1,461
    very nice box!
    First: Porto Alegre, Brasil 28.11.2005 ........... Next:  St. Paul 2, USA 02.09.2023
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    mcgruff10 said:

the record crate is really really sweet on2legs. maybe get a contract with jacks in red bank!

Thanks, Mike. I stopped in Jacks on Friday while I was running errands. I love that place.

Thanks to the rest of you guys for the compliments. Hoping to find some spare time to make a couple new designs soon.
    Post edited by on2legs on

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,877
    on2legs said:

mcgruff10 said:

Thanks, Mike. I stopped in Jacks on Friday while I was running errands. I love that place.
    I haven't been to red bank in a while. Princeton is about the same distance from my house so I usually head there. How's the used cd selection at Jack's been? Still pretty sparse?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Awesome crate, on2legs! Uhh, if you ever feel like making something like that for 45s, I would be your first customer. Been looking for something decent to store my Xmas singles in.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,534
    edited March 2015
    I imagine you'd have to pay royalties even if they did give approval, which I doubt they'd do (but hey, never hurts to ask! Maybe they have a simple template contract ready to go for such occasions - you never know. But yeah, as others have mentioned, some of what you've used isn't even owned by PJ, so that's another problem).
    Good for you sticking to the law! Not everyone would, and they'd just go ahead and start selling on ebay until they got a letter from PJ'S lawyers. But if you're a fan, stealing from your favorite band seems fucked up, so good on you (and smart of you) for not selling illegally (some nice designs there btw).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    on2legs said:

I got a few of these pins (thanks on2legs!!). I really like them!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,463
    cardoso said:

very nice box!

Pardon??? :lol:

If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    PJ_Soul said:

I imagine you'd have to pay royalties even if they did give approval, which I doubt they'd do (but hey, never hurts to ask! Maybe they have a simple template contract ready to go for such occasions - you never know. But yeah, as others have mentioned, some of what you've used isn't even owned by PJ, so that's another problem).
    Good for you sticking to the law! Not everyone would, and they'd just go ahead and start selling on ebay until they got a letter from PJ'S lawyers. But if you're a fan, stealing from your favorite band seems fucked up, so good on you (and smart of you) for not selling illegally (some nice designs there btw).

What times are we living in where we praise people for following the law.....
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

on2legs said:

mcgruff10 said:

I haven't been to red bank in a while. Princeton is about the same distance from my house so I usually head there. How's the used cd selection at Jack's been? Still pretty sparse?
    About the same as always but once in awhile I find a gem there. It's the thrill of the hunt That keeps me going back.

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:

on2legs said:

I got a few of these pins (thanks on2legs!!). I really like them!
    Glad you liked em!

• Options
    imalive said:

cardoso said:

very nice box!

Pardon??? :lol:

:rofl:
  • Options
    edited March 2015

PJ_Soul said:

What times are we living in where we praise people for following the law.....
    Ha. Good point.
    I guess I have lost faith, since I see so many people completely in support of breaking the law or supporting those who do (i.e. defending and buying illegal bootlegs, calling reproduced, stolen art posters "fan art", etc, even on these message boards. When i say somethjng about it i am usually ridiculed for caring. When I see someone consciously not doing these things I am driven to admire it. You're right, that's pretty sad.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    Well, the way I see it, I started making posters for myself because I enjoy doing it, and in two days after sharing various ones (On FB) I now have 536 Private messages asking for me to sell them. (I figured it would be a good idea to look into it since there's sort of a demand for it) But we'll see - I'll contact the ol' Ten club but I assume the same as everyone else - most likely won't happen. I'm not delusional. :-)
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
    Shameliss said:

Well, the way I see it, I started making posters for myself because I enjoy doing it, and in two days after sharing various ones (On FB) I now have 536 Private messages asking for me to sell them. (I figured it would be a good idea to look into it since there's sort of a demand for it) But we'll see - I'll contact the ol' Ten club but I assume the same as everyone else - most likely won't happen. I'm not delusional. :-)

wishlist does stuff like this. maybe if you arranged something through them you could sell them as long as the net proceeds were going to charity?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com