Options

Hartford Boot Sounds Like Crap

RainemanRaineman Posts: 29
edited July 2008 in Given To Fly (live)
After seeing and hearing what I think was one of the best all around shows set, energy and sound-wise I cant help but be really let down by how this bootleg came out. The sound at the Dodge was phenomenal and the boot doesn't even come close to doing it justice. The '06 boot is HEAD AND SHOULDERS above it in terms of the mixing and after hearing the 'Roo boot I guess I had higher expectations. Just disappointed I guess. Let the flaming begin...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    doujodoujo Posts: 285
    really?? i've listened to tampa and the hartford show sounds so much better
  • Options
    4Powers204Powers20 Posts: 1,221
    I was listening to the MSG boots, and have one question. Why take all the crowd noise out? I mean you can hear it, but I wanted to HEAR it. The audience recording of MSG2 is soooooooo much better then the official boot. The official boot doesnt come close to capturing the energy of the show. Hopefully they realize the crowd noise is good and think about that when mixing the VIC boot.

"We're running out of beer, too?" EV 6/19/08

• Options
    Flannel ShirtFlannel Shirt Posts: 1,021
    dont tell me this. I am looking so fwd to this. I was there and it was by far the best I have ever heard them live.
    All that's sacred, comes from youth....dedications, naive and true.
  • Options
    CobCob Posts: 857
    4Powers20 wrote:
    I was listening to the MSG boots, and have one question. Why take all the crowd noise out? I mean you can hear it, but I wanted to HEAR it. The audience recording of MSG2 is soooooooo much better then the official boot. The official boot doesnt come close to capturing the energy of the show. Hopefully they realize the crowd noise is good and think about that when mixing the VIC boot.

They don't take the crowd noise out, it's recorded off the soundboard so the crowd noise is minimal. I know I was going to order all the cd's of the shows I went to, but I'm not sure now after hearing several people complain about the quality.
    [img][/img]9/5/92, 11/20/93, 3/14,15/94, 9/16/95, 10/14,15/2000
    4/5,6/9/2003, 9/1/05, 12/7/2005, 7/15,16,18/2006, 8/5/2007
    6/24,25/08,6/27/08,6/28/08,6/30/08
    9/21,22/2009, 10/4/2009
    5/6,7,9/2010, 9/3/2011 9/4/2011, 11/15/2013,
    11/16/2013, 12/8/2013, 10/5/2014, 10/12/2014,
    4/23, 5/10, 5/12, 8/20, 8/22 2016,
    8/8, 8/10, 8/18, 8/20 2018, 5/12, 5/13, 9/20 2022

• Options
    butterfly1butterfly1 Posts: 372
    Haven't gotten to Harford yet. But listening to MSGs and having been there, the mix sounds to me like a standard concert mix. You can hear the crowd, but not like you are in the audience. I think that is what the general listener/public expects of a live show. PJ fans might like the mix to be a little more tilted toward crowd. I tend to favor audience tapes over sound boards for this very reason.
  • Options
    The crowds have been muted on all the boots. Even when you can hear the crowd it doesn't sound right. It takes away the "live" feeling for me but at least the band mix is much better on the later boots.
    2003 - Champaign (first show), Chicago, Uniondale, MSG II, State College, Alpine Valley; 2004 - Toledo, Grand Rapids; 2005 - Kitchener, London.
  • Options
    4Powers204Powers20 Posts: 1,221
    Cob wrote:
    They don't take the crowd noise out, it's recorded off the soundboard so the crowd noise is minimal. I know I was going to order all the cd's of the shows I went to, but I'm not sure now after hearing several people complain about the quality.

Yes but alot of bands mic the audience. A couple up front, a couple by the board.

"We're running out of beer, too?" EV 6/19/08

• Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,901
    I'm not going to flame you, but "sounds like crap" is a ridiculously strong way to state your case. Fuzzy audience recordings of the type we had to settle for before official boots were an option sound like crap ... I am not 100% happy about the mixes on a number of these boots, especially Tampa. But they are still decent recordings.
  • Options
    toddiet123toddiet123 Posts: 271
    4Powers20 wrote:

if the band ever allowed open taping w/rigs etc you'd get shows that sound great AND have the audience stuff too.
  • Options
    Dan1984Dan1984 Posts: 444
    Hopefully they realize the crowd noise is good and think about that when mixing the VIC boot.[/quote]

I am sorry but you state here about mixing the VIC boot. Are they releasing this show officially?
    06/05/2003 - San Diego
    06/06/2003 - Las Vegas
    06/07/2003 - Phoenix
  • Options
    finnanniefinnannie Posts: 1,186
    I'm currently downloading the official FLAC boot/Hartford, but I also have the audience rec of this show.... waiting anxiously to compare them ;) I love to hear the audience sing a long, and I hope its at least on some level audible in the official FLAC im downloading right now. The audience recording was good - though, not as good as MSG2 which was AMAZING :)
    Won't let the light escape from me.
    Won't let the darkness swallow me.
  • Options
    I love the Hartford boot...it was an amazing experience at the show, but can you really ever recapture that on a CD? In my opinion...NEVER! What I would give to be back there...
    Mansfield, MA 7/3/03
    Boston, MA 5/25/06
    Hartford, CT 6/27/08
    Boston, MA (EV) 8/2/08

"Oh, I just want to scream HELLO! Oh, my God it's been too long, never dreamed you return, but now here you are and here I am..."

"What could be better than a beer with Eddie Vedder?"
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,759
    A little crowd noise is good. But if I wanted to hear some drunk guy warble along to "Jeremy" I would just record it myself.

The beauty of a soundboard recording is you actually get to hear the band sing. Watch some of the YouTube clips from MSG. You can't hear Ed at all -- and yes, that's a pretty accurate representation of what it was like to be in the audience, and it was mega cool to be a part of it.

But it isn't really what I want out of my CD experience.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    dserverdserver Posts: 25
    I listened to the boot before I came on here so I could draw my own conclusion because I knew there would be a thread like this. I don't know how you can say this boot sucks. It sounds so much better than the 06 boots in terms of quality and mixing. If you think this boot sounds bad maybe it's time for you to upgrade your stereo because it sounds amazing!
    Hartford 06
    Hartford 08
    Hartford 10
  • Options
    RainemanRaineman Posts: 29
    I'm not going to flame you, but "sounds like crap" is a ridiculously strong way to state your case. Fuzzy audience recordings of the type we had to settle for before official boots were an option sound like crap ... I am not 100% happy about the mixes on a number of these boots, especially Tampa. But they are still decent recordings.

Youre right, that was perhaps a little too strong. Nothing PJ should ever be deemed as crap, I guess I just had higher hopes from this particular one. I suppose it goes back to us being spoiled as fans, after seeing such an amazing show its still not enough for my ungrateful ass. :(
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,274
    Having just listened to the concert up to Smile so far I would have to say that this is the best sounding bootleg I have heard, period! I was a little disappointed by Columbia and the Roo, but only because Ed's voice struggled at some points and sounded great at others. After hearing this boot though, it is clear that his voice and the band were awesome! Every song they played sounded like it was that year the song had just come out because they were that on. It had to have been unbelievable live and in person, so jealous I couldn't be there, but I digress...

And as far as the audience stuff, I'm not so into that I guess. I like to hear them a little bit, but definitely don't want to hear them singing along when it's supposed to be just Eddie and the band without a crowd tag. I also really like how full the songs sound as opposed to all the past boots where they were splitting the guitars and it seemed more hollow sounding. This boot in particular puts Atlanta '94 to waste because it sounds that good and so does Eddie.

I am very happy about this boot and glad to hear pearl jam sound as awesome as they should!
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    hopethatuchokehopethatuchoke Posts: 2,930
    Raineman wrote:
    Youre right, that was perhaps a little too strong. Nothing PJ should ever be deemed as crap, I guess I just had higher hopes from this particular one. I suppose it goes back to us being spoiled as fans, after seeing such an amazing show its still not enough for my ungrateful ass. :(

I love when people call themselves "ungrateful" or "spoiled" for the band, ten club, tickets, boots, posters or whatever. Give me a break. You are a paying customer. It is your right to expect a product up to your standards. If it sounds like crap who is that guy to tell you that you aren't allowed to say that? Crap is crap. The pedestal people place the band on sometimes is sickening.
  • Options
    blueeyedevilblueeyedevil Posts: 173
    I love when people call themselves "ungrateful" or "spoiled" for the band, ten club, tickets, boots, posters or whatever. Give me a break. You are a paying customer. It is your right to expect a product up to your standards. If it sounds like crap who is that guy to tell you that you aren't allowed to say that? Crap is crap. The pedestal people place the band on sometimes is sickening.

Well, I see what you are saying...to an extent. Yes, there are a few people around here that will worship anything that Pearl Jam places on the alter. To say that the band has NEVER put out a sub-par product is certainly stretching the truth.

However, a product doesn't have to be up to the "standards" of the buyer. The buyer makes a decision based on the description of the product, and hopefully, based on the quality of products the band has issued in the past. When purchasing a live recording, or any recording, chances are that not every listener is going to be happy with the mix. Myself, I tend to like the more audience sound in the mix. So while my "standards" aren't met, it's not as though I was promised that I would like the mix.

For instance, what if you pre-order the boot, and the band has an off night? Should they reimburse those people whose "standards" weren't met by the performance? I don't think so.

Not calling you out, I just think you were being a bit extreme in the other direction.

Peace,
    D.
    Philly-4/28/03, Holmdel-7/14/03, Reading-10/1/04, Philly-10/3/05, Camden-5/27/06, Camden-5/28/05, Camden-6/19/08, Camden-6/20/08, MSG- 6/25/08
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,759
    It is your right to expect a product up to your standards.

I suppose. But it depends on what your standards are.

If I go to McDonald's hoping my Big Mac will taste like a filet mignon, that's my problem, not Mickey D's.

I think the thing with boots is that different people like different mixes. Some people think the 2000 boots sound the best. I happen to think the 2003 ones blow them away.

You can't mix in a way that is acceptable to everyone, I guess.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    dr teethdr teeth Posts: 115
    tbergs wrote:
    Having just listened to the concert up to Smile so far I would have to say that this is the best sounding bootleg I have heard, period! I was a little disappointed by Columbia and the Roo, but only because Ed's voice struggled at some points and sounded great at others. After hearing this boot though, it is clear that his voice and the band were awesome! Every song they played sounded like it was that year the song had just come out because they were that on. It had to have been unbelievable live and in person, so jealous I couldn't be there, but I digress...

And as far as the audience stuff, I'm not so into that I guess. I like to hear them a little bit, but definitely don't want to hear them singing along when it's supposed to be just Eddie and the band without a crowd tag. I also really like how full the songs sound as opposed to all the past boots where they were splitting the guitars and it seemed more hollow sounding. This boot in particular puts Atlanta '94 to waste because it sounds that good and so does Eddie.

I am very happy about this boot and glad to hear pearl jam sound as awesome as they should!

i would have to agree with this statement......
    compared to the others, the hartford boot sounds great!
    jeter drinks wine coolers
  • Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,901

Whatever works ... I think the term "crap" is too strong a descriptor for a PJ bootleg that was professionally mastered. One can complain about Mike being too low in the mix or the drum sound or whatever, and that's cool. People like different things. At the end of the day, its all opinion. Maybe Mike being too low IS enough to quality a recording as "crap", in someone's eyes. I don't see any pedestals in this thread, though. You want to hear someone bitching about PJ to make you feel better? Go read my posts about Ed opening all those first encores with No More. ;)
  • Options
    biggce55biggce55 Posts: 2
    The first time I listened to this show was on my computer, and I thought it had a different sound than the previous tours. Once I listened to it on my iPod, it sounded really good...same goes with Mansfield 1
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,484

I love it when people who have ZERO experience with mixing records get on an anonymous internet forum and act like they a professional audio technicians.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    londonrockslondonrocks Posts: 177
    think it sounds better than any of the official boots in recent years, this and 'roo. not heard all the 08's yet, but this show is mixed very well imo.
  • Options
    On2Legs wrote:
    I love it when people who have ZERO experience with mixing records get on an anonymous internet forum and act like they a professional audio technicians.

It doesn't take an audio professional to tell that something sounds crappy. Maybe for you...
  • Options
    HinnyHinny Posts: 1,610
    4Powers20 wrote:
    Be louder.

The crowds in Milan 2000 and both Buenos Aires 2005s came out just fine.
    Binary solo..000000100000111100001110
  • Options
    Let me be clear about this:

There is mixing and then there is mastering.

The mastering on these boots sucks...the worst ever.

But the mixing only sucks on the first two shows.

So, to say that something "sounds crappy" is too broad. Hartford sounds good mix-wise, but it's still mastered like crap. If you can get over the lousy mastering, it's quite an enjoyable boot. (The same goes for most of the 08 boots.)
  • Options
    It sounds a bit bass heavy to me, but I concede the stock speakers in my car are pretty crappy. Just waiting to upgrade them. Aside from that, I think it's pretty damn good.
    For Rent
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,490
    seems to fine me i just totally hate they got rid of the audience? Like especially for msg...
  • Options
    LongRhodeLongRhode Posts: 93
    Brain of J guitar is friggin SICK... wow, killer version!
    1991 - Warwick RI
    1994 - Boston Garden 1
    2003 - Mansfield 1
    2004 - Boston 1 & 2
    2006 - Albany, Boston 1, Dublin Ireland
    2008 - Mansfield 1 & 2, EV Boston 1