Options

New Soundgarden Expected 2016-Pearl Jam long layoff?

HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,852
I just read that SG is going to begin work on a new album in a few months slated for release in 2016. To me, this means that PJ is headed for an extended period of inactivity. If Matt's in the studio and then they'll be touring, we won't see a major PJ tour for at least 2 years, maybe longer. Maybe we'll get some side project work, a new Ed solo album. (RELEASE OUT OF THE FURNACE SOUNDTRACK, ED!) Maybe a week or two tour of Australia or Europe while SG is breaking from the studio. Or one off festivals this summer. when was the last time the entire band hit Oz? That would be pretty cool.

So you have a long time to save your pennies for seeing them cross Canada in 2017. LOL.
Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    hopefully Jeff will spend a lot of that time gathering ephemera for the No Code/Yield box.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    halvhalv Posts: 687

hopefully Jeff will spend a lot of that time gathering ephemera for the No Code/Yield box.

We can definitely expect some re-issues. RNDM will have a new album out with a tour to back it up. Mike has been super busy with tons of side projects. Hopefully we'll see some new solo stuff from Ed and Stone, maybe a new Brad album. I for one am pumped about a new Soundgarden album. King Animal was stellar and they sound as good as ever.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,149
    Bring it
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,496
    Good news...loved King Animal.
  • Options
    They'll be quiet this year in blow out in 2016 for 25th-year anniversary tour, HoF. We've known that for a while. SG has long been planning a new LP.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,149
    It might be time for some of you fanatics to get into some other music! Hahaha!!!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options

They'll be quiet this year in blow out in 2016 for 25th-year anniversary tour, HoF. We've known that for a while. SG has long been planning a new LP.

we've "known" that they will have a 25th anniversary tour? I must have missed that press release. :) and SG has been hinting at the possibility of recording together again, but nothing, to my knowledge, had been confirmed.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

Good news...loved King Animal.

yeah, I'm hoping I get the chance to see them live. missed the chance on KA.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775

we've "known" that they will have a 25th anniversary tour? I must have missed that press release. :) and SG has been hinting at the possibility of recording together again, but nothing, to my knowledge, had been confirmed.

A Hall of Fame induction would happen in early 2017 for the 2016 class.
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,643
    Bring back Dave A. Problem solved!
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,885
    Reading way too much into it I think. Both bands seem to do 3 week or so tours. SG a little longer at times. PJ will work their schedule around SG's and vice versa. Nothing unexpected about this.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    sparky_frysparky_fry Posts: 760
    edited February 2015
    Post edited by sparky_fry on
  • Options
    RyanRyan Posts: 1,019

Reading way too much into it I think. Both bands seem to do 3 week or so tours. SG a little longer at times. PJ will work their schedule around SG's and vice versa. Nothing unexpected about this.

Agree with this 100%
    It sounds like Pearl Jam is touring South America in November, it'll probably be a year similar to 2007 or 2012 as far as number of shows go. Pearl Jam plays 12-25 shows each year and this year won't be any different.

Regarding the studio, it's not like these bands go in there for months at a time. Lightning Bolt was recorded in two separate two or three week sessions.
    2003 - June 15 Fargo
    2005 - Sept 1 George, Sept 8 Winnipeg
    2006 - May 9/10 Toronto, June 26/27 St. Paul, July 22/23 George, Oct 21/22 Mountain View
    2007 - Aug 2/5 Chicago
    2008 - June 22 Washington, June 24/25 New York
    2009 - Aug 21 Toronto, Aug 23/24 Chicago, Sept 21/22 Seattle, Oct 27/28/30/31 Philadelphia
    2010 - May 15 Hartford, May 17 Boston, Oct 23/24 Mountain View
    2011 - Sept 3/4 Alpine Valley, Sept 11/12 Toronto, Sept 17 Winnipeg, Sept 19 Saskatoon
    2012 - Sept 30 Missoula
    2013 - July 16 London, July 19 Chicago, Oct 12 Buffalo, Dec 2 Calgary, Dec 4 Vancouver, Dec 6 Seattle
    2014 - Oct 16 Detroit, Oct 19 St. Paul, Oct 20 Milwaukee
    2015 - Sept 23 (Colbert)/Sept 26, New York
    2016 - Apr 28/29 Philadelphia, May 10/12 Toronto, Aug 20/22 Chicago
  • Options
    RhinoJamRhinoJam Raleighwood Posts: 593
    It would be cool if we could get a new EV disc, or maybe a Lost Dogs II, or the eventual release of No Code/Yield box? - Maybe that's what the live shows from this past tour are slated for... potential for vinyl releases of each album (No Code and Yield)!
    Charlotte 10/4/96 Raleigh 8/31/98 Charlotte 8/4/00 Raleigh 4/15/03 Asheville 10/6/04
    Bonnaroo 6/14/08 Spectrum 10/30/09 Spectrum 10/31/09 Atlanta 9/22/12 Wrigley 7/19/13
    Baltimore 10/27/13 Charlottesville 10/29/13 Charlotte 10/30/13 OKC 11/16/13
    St. Louis 10/03/14 Greenville 4/16/16 Hampton 4/18/16
    Columbia 4/21/16 Wrigley 8/18/18
  • Options
    Caught three shows on the King Animal tour... very good indeed.
    All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives,.....choosing the shiny ones instead,......
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,448
    edited February 2015
    PJ probably have enough unreleased songs to put out a Lost Dogs 2,3, and 4. Or release one unreleased song a month.
    Post edited by igotid88 on
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    not reading too much into anything. I think it's fair to say that if Matt is busy with SG for a while, then he might eventually want a break from both bands. I'd be more than happy with an Ed solo album and tour anyway.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    wpg pearlwpg pearl Posts: 1,258
    Nice to see SG making a new record.Also excited for Faith No More .
    ajb
  • Options
    lol, that's funny. maybe Kim and Chris need to have a scheduling meeting. LOL.

http://www.alternativenation.net/soundgarden-to-begin-work-new-album-2016-release/

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434

That'll happen as soon as they resolve the world peace problem and global warming.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    deadendp said:

That'll happen as soon as they resolve the world peace problem and global warming.
    I could just see Stone... "well, he DOES already have the tattoo....."

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,640
    I'm cool with PJ taking 2016 off. I'm excited to see all the members do their own cool things. I'm stoked about RNDM, and now stoked for a new SG album, and am also hoping that Eddie has something up his sleeve... a new solo album for him perhaps??? That would be awesome!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    ThrillThrill Posts: 26

deadendp said:

I could just see Stone... "well, he DOES already have the tattoo....."

I can't stop the laughing
  • Options
    evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,851
    Boom got a stickman tramp stamp in 2003.
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    meh on any new Soundgarden album, King Animal was pretty weak
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,640
    smarchee said:

But this time could be better, you never know. ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    don't want to see side projects. want the real thing. time off is not a good thing. i don't believe it. they will play some where. the parts are not as strong as the whole. not even close. soundgarden like them but they are no pearl jam. don't have any where near the quality of material. nuff said
  • Options
    pjam2pjam2 Posts: 32
    Well since the Squamish Music Festival line-up is really weak.., it sure would be nice to see them headline Pemby at the end of July. That would be an absolute blast. That or a couple shows at the Gorge one weekend this summer. ;)
    Jeff Goodwin
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,833
    smarchee said:

I thought I was the only one who felt this way.
  • Options
    W.M.EhW.M.Eh Posts: 133
    For what it's worth, Soundgarden is playing here in Kitchener, Ontario on July 11th. This is the only summer date thus far so I am not sure if it's a one off or if other dates will be revealed.
    The last PJ show I went to was the best PJ show ever, that is until they come around again of course