Secretaryzillas

Seriously. Anyone work somewhere that they have one or more secretaries to a high ranking employee that somehow think that gives them the same authority? I deal with one on a regular basis that tries to order people around and somehow thinks she's the boss because her boss is the boss. She books executive travel, takes minutes and orders food for meetings, and gets fucking coffee. She also seems to think she's the gatekeeper of the President's office. "Uh, I'm sorry, what is it you want?". "His door is open, I don't have to clear talking to him with you, especially since it doesn't concern you". A few weeks ago I put her in her place, all the while knowing he could hear everything. I told her to stop talking down to me and to treat me as a professional. She looked at me like I was an alien. It was fucking great. She apologized, surprisingly. that never happens with her.

It reminds me of when you watch a tv show and the assistant to a celebrity acts as if THEY are the celebrity, being bitchy, making demands. Fuck you.

now go get me some coffee. LOL.
new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

Comments

• badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    And make it light and sweet plz
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,902
    how's she look?
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,525
    imalive said:

how's she look?

she's closing in on retirement age.

www.headstonesband.com

• rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    Hugh ,are you sure the boss doesn't instruct her to act in certain ways?
    I have 5 ladies in my office and depending on the issue each one will basically run blocker between Every little issue in the field or with clients and what hits my desk.
    I encourage them to take the initiative needed to handle the issues so I can spend more time being productive.(Not like when I'm on line here,lol) and not dealing with the little bullshitty things.I don't know about your field of employment ,but maybe she is just doing the same.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,902
    rr165892 said:

I encourage them to take the initiative needed to handle the issues so I can spend more time working on my post count.

fixed.

If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    rr165892 said:

Hugh ,are you sure the boss doesn't instruct her to act in certain ways?
    I have 5 ladies in my office and depending on the issue each one will basically run blocker between Every little issue in the field or with clients and what hits my desk.
    I encourage them to take the initiative needed to handle the issues so I can spend more time being productive.(Not like when I'm on line here,lol) and not dealing with the little bullshitty things.I don't know about your field of employment ,but maybe she is just doing the same.

no, this is stuff he wouldn't even be aware of. and it's not necessarily just what she asks.....it's that she seems to think she has the authority to demand such things. it's hard to explain, I guess, without giving specific examples.

we have a pretty lax corporate culture. prez is very approachable, and has always stated his "door is open". just not when she's in front of it, it seems. most of the time it's just a signature I need on something, or something small. Nothing wrong with saying hi, either. if he's busy, he will close his door. we all know that. so if it's open, he's open. but she has some power trip she needs to enforce on everyone.

but I also have processes to follow, audit-wise. she seems to believe that "her executives" are above reproach, and rules can be broken to suit their needs, and she TELLS me when I am supposed to break the rules for them. thing is, the execs would never ask for such things. our industry (specifically, our former executives) has been burned in the public eye for improper dealings, so if anyone needs to follow protocol, it's THEM. and they know that.

and she's nobody. just like me. I'm pretty sure if he knew how she talks to people while supposedly representing his office, he wouldn't be pleased.

www.headstonesband.com

• elenelen Posts: 188
    I'm a secretary, a cool one :lol:
    I worked with the boss' secretary who acted exacty that way... and she was soooo mean to us young and miserable "not-secretaries-of-the-boss".
    But when the company surprisingly fired our boss, she became almost useless, and she retired few months later.
    Haha.
    Ok, I'm not a cool secretary. Secretaries are mean :rock_on:
    2006: Verona, Milano, Honolulu
    2007: London
    2014: Milano
    2016: MSG1, MSG2, Fenway1, Fenway2, Wrigley1, Wrigley2
    2018: London1, Milano, Padova, Roma
    imalive said:

rr165892 said:

I encourage them to take the initiative needed to handle the issues so I can spend more time working on my post count.

fixed.

Damn,don't remember saying it quite like that.But thanks for the nudge.
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    secretaries have fantasies. just sayin maybe she would go for it.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    gross.

www.headstonesband.com

• imalive said:

rr165892 said:

fixed.

That's gold Jerry. Gold!
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    Gatekeepers are important, and might need to be a bit prickly in their ways.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • chadwick said:

secretaries have fantasies. just sayin maybe she would go for it.

Had a great laugh at that one.
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    I have found this to be ture more often than not: If you stand up to people that are being complete jerks to you.. they suddenly become the nicest people ever..

Weird.

and i am a nice secretary... I couldn't give a hell who walks in on my boss.. ;)
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    Man you'd be surprised how those big bosses in the big office can be. They think their PA is their mother. What they tell people about "my door is open" usually includes gate keeping instructions for their assistant that is exactly contrary to what the other employees are told. The assistant has to lie all the time for them, and if there's an issue they can easily be replaced. So it's "fetch my coffee, handle this problem with the employee that I don't want to directly address with them, and don't let anyone bother me unless it's really necessary, use your judgement." Because they still want the reputation of the cool, approachable boss, so it falls on the PA in situations like you're describing. Don't forget that many CEOs are sociopaths, this kind of stuff is far from uncommon.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,889
    Are there seriously still secretaries who are expected to fetch coffee for their boss??
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:

Are there seriously still secretaries who are expected to fetch coffee for their boss??

Not this one. Just for exec meetings she does.

www.headstonesband.com

• hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    I think people with those types of personalities are usually compensating for something lacking.

When I was "coming up", I'd ask my boss if he wanted a cup if I was getting something for myself from the kitchen. He was the regional head of a huge company (back then) and his family well-known within the real estate industry, but this man was one of the best, fairest and most honorable people I've worked for. Gave a lot and expected a lot, but not much beyond reason.

Me, as his assistant? I was 23-ish, still learning and in an awkward position at that age being in a somewhat higher title, whatever the appropriate word, than others older than I. Can't imagine (even now!) being a 'zilla of any kind.

One can be firm, but not a dick.

(sounds oddly contradictory, I know =) )
    ldent42 said:

So it's "fetch my coffee, handle this problem with the employee that I don't want to directly address with them, and don't let anyone bother me unless it's really necessary, use your judgement."

Our old boss was just like this and his secretary took advantage of her "privilege" all the time
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    If you've never seen a privileged man in his 60s throw a temper tantrum, I highly recommend it for the entertainment value.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
    I think I'm doing something wrong.lol.I bring my girls Coffee and lunches and they are always telling me what to do and where I'm going.
    I think if you take care of your staff and those who work hard for you it comes back ten fold.We have very few employees leave,my whole staff with exception of one has been with me for a decade or more.We work more like a team then a boss/subordinate situation and this office dynamic seems to keep everyone engaged and involved and striving for better.
    A true leader should never have staff buy gifts or flowers for his/her spouse or children
    May I send you my resume? :wink:
  • If I had a secretary...
    She would definitely be fetching me coffee!!!
    Hahaha

But I don't want a secretary
    I want an entire Board Of Directors....
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    rr, you sound like someone who takes care of and looks out for his employees - and you're right, it's always reciprocated.
    edited February 2015

If I had a secretary...
    Hahaha

but the BOD would be YOUR boss! I wouldn't want to be the only guy answering to a BOD, EVER.

www.headstonesband.com

• If I had a secretary...
    Hahaha

but the BOD would be YOUR boss! I wouldn't want to be the only guy answering to a BOD, EVER.

I would refer to my secretary as...

The weaning old hound dog!

Hehehehehehehehe

Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....

If I had a secretary...
    Hahaha

I would refer to my secretary as...

The weaning old hound dog!

Hehehehehehehehe

oh boy. :innocent:

www.headstonesband.com

• FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Posts: 4,810
    Sounds like you 2 will get along just fine now OP. And if she's going to be put out to pasture soon then you'll just have a new one to break in anyway lol.
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
    hedonist said:

rr, you sound like someone who takes care of and looks out for his employees - and you're right, it's always reciprocated.

Thanks Hedo.I do and take great pride in how we treat the people and their families that spend so much of their lives working with us.My industry is not an easy one so it makes their commitment that much more important to us.Why not reward those who work so hard.