Options

Jon Stewart leaving The Daily Show

Comments

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,296

Never watched the show.
    Have no idea who this guy is.
    What did I miss?

I believe this is the guy who took over for Craig Kilbourn. Show never felt right to me after Craigers left...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

I figured there was some sort of on air "discussion" that pissed tucker off. That was good.

I'd argue Begala came off as almost as much of a turd here since he probably thought Stewart would be on his "side" in their dumb debate format show.

I actually enjoyed Cross Fire when it first started, years before that incarnation
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    FrankieGFrankieG Abingdon MD Posts: 9,095
    Hobbes said:

smarchee said:

wonder if John Oliver wishes he waited a bit longer before jumping to HBO

This has me wondering when Stewart started to think about the end. I would like to think he told Oliver to hold off a bit and he could have his chair permanently because Oliver just killed it when he filled in for Stewart. Maybe Oliver did know this, but still wanted to do his own thing on HBO. Unfortunately, I do not have HBO, but I can only imagine his show is awesome.

Almost the whole show is posted on Youtube the following day!
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603

I figured there was some sort of on air "discussion" that pissed tucker off. That was good.

I'd argue Begala came off as almost as much of a turd here since he probably thought Stewart would be on his "side" in their dumb debate format show.

I actually enjoyed Cross Fire when it first started, years before that incarnation
    I thought begala came off as if he possibly agreed with him. Didn't have much to say
  • Options

I thought begala came off as if he possibly agreed with him. Didn't have much to say
    yeah....which is inherently weak considering he was the co-host and has gone on and done the same exact type of thing on different shows for last decade.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

yeah....which is inherently weak considering he was the co-host and has gone on and done the same exact type of thing on different shows for last decade.
    True, true.
  • Options

http://www.cnn.com/2015/02/12/opinion/begala-stewart-blew-up-crossfire/index.html
  • Options
    http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/the-overhyped-reaction-to-jon-stewart-leaving/

The Overhyped Reaction To Jon Stewart Leaving ‘The Daily Show’

I don’t watch “The Daily Show With Jon Stewart.” In fact, I don’t watch any late-night television. Stewart’s announcement that he’ll leave “The Daily Show” after 16 years is not, for me personally, a big deal. So I felt a little left out as the media churned out ode after ode to Stewart.

But — I’m sorry to be the skunk at the garden party — “The Daily Show” always had limited appeal; it just happens that the appeal included the New York media elite.

Stewart largely appeals to wealthy and well-educated liberals — a small slice of the overall news audience.

According to a 2012 Pew Research Center study, 14 percent of Stewart’s audience self-identified as conservative and 43 percent as liberal. Pew found that, overall, the news audience was 35 percent conservative and 22 percent liberal. In fact, “The Daily Show,” The New York Times and The New Yorker were the only media outlets outside of MSNBC for which a plurality of the audience self-identified as liberal.
    Pew also found that just 25 percent of all news consumers had at least a college degree, but “The Daily Show” was the only television news show for which more than 40 percent of the viewers had at least a college education. Most readers of The Times and The New Yorker also had one.
    About 40 percent of the audiences of all three — “The Daily Show,” The Times and The New Yorker — made more than $75,000 a year, according to Pew, compared with 26 percent of all news consumers.

Stewart, simply put, has been speaking to only a small group of people. You can see this in his television ratings. While it may shock some, the vast majority of Americans didn’t watch Stewart. Indeed, the vast majority of late-night viewers didn’t watch him. Last month, “The Daily Show” pulled in about 1.15 to 1.3 million viewers daily. Even if you include the roughly 250,000 viewers that, on average, watch “The Daily Show” on its website, Stewart’s audience is, at best, an average of about 1.5 million. According to Nielsen NNTV data, “Jimmy Kimmel Live” and Jimmy Fallon’s “The Tonight Show” were seen by an average of 2.7 and 3.7 million people, respectively, in the final quarter of 2014.

Of course, Stewart has the tougher game of playing on cable. That, however, cannot fully explain why Stewart’s ratings have been down over the past few years.

Stewart’s ratings are somewhat dependent on the political cycle. His viewership tends to peak during big elections. If you compare Stewart’s ratings in the fourth quarter of 2014 (a little over a year before the 2016 Iowa caucus) to the fourth quarter in 2010 (a little over a year before the 2012 Iowa caucus), his viewership is down about 15 percent. That’s the same decline he had from the fourth quarter of 2013 to the fourth quarter of 2014.

Could this just be because television ratings are down generally? Maybe, but during the past year, the “Jimmy Kimmel Live” audience is up 4 percent.

But what about with younger viewers for whom Stewart is supposedly the voice of a generation? He’s been bleeding younger viewers at a 20 percent rate since the fourth quarter of 2010, when Stewart clocked in with 860,000 18- to 49-year-olds.

Part of the drop in the number of younger people watching Stewart over the past year is likely because of Fallon’s takeover of “The Tonight Show ” in 2014, though Kimmel was stable year-to-year.

That’s not to say that the idea of Stewart’s youth appeal is way off the mark. The majority (55 percent) of his audience in the fourth quarter of 2014 was in the 18- to 49-year-old demographic, while just about a third of Fallon’s and Kimmel’s were. Stewart, though, isn’t as cool as Conan O’Brien. (Note: I have a slight bias toward O’Brien as he spoke at my college graduation.) O’Brien, who has his own problems with overall viewership, has increasingly become reliant on the 18- to 49-year-old demographic; 59 percent of his viewers in the fourth quarter of 2014 came from this prized demographic.

Stewart’s audience has also aged with him. The median age of “Daily Show” viewers rose from 35 in 2004 to 40.5 in 2014.

Now, there are things that go into influence beyond ratings. “The Daily Show” has a powerful Facebook and Twitter presence. Then again, an online weather forum that I used to moderate somehow has more than 100,000 followers on Facebook, too.

Perhaps more importantly, Stewart can also claim that the media watches him. That’s undeniably true, based on the press’s reaction over the past 48 hours. That’s the type of influence that’s difficult to buy. But the media loving Stewart has also led to an overhyping of Stewart’s reach.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    I agree with the above posted article. I liked Jon stewart. Especially in that Adam Sandler movie. But he's not a news guy. He didn't report the news. He was a comedian that made fun of the news, and he did it well. Politics in particular. Replacing him will be as easy as he replaced Craig Kilbourne. Last I heard, the writers aren't leaving the show.
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    Well, we can scratch off Jason Jones and Samantha Bee as possible replacements.
    http://deadline.com/2015/02/jason-jones-samantha-bee-tbs-comedy-series-pickup-1201380337/

Maybe they have a head writer who can do it. Kind of like how Tina Fey went from head writer to Weekend Update on SNL.
  • Options
    Interesting choice
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    edited May 2015

I agree with the above posted article. I liked Jon stewart. Especially in that Adam Sandler movie. But he's not a news guy. He didn't report the news. He was a comedian that made fun of the news, and he did it well. Politics in particular. Replacing him will be as easy as he replaced Craig Kilbourne. Last I heard, the writers aren't leaving the show.

But one must also admit that, while being a comedian, he made some VERY potent points and insights about current events. Sometimes his interpretation and presentation of news events, and of the news itself, were far more insightful and full of truth than anything we'd see from the talking heads on the real news.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    I appreciated Stewart calling out the hypocrisy of government and talking heads. Christie spewed nonsense on 4/20 about hammering down on legal marijuana as government needs to protect the flock. Yet a year earlier he tried to legalize gaming in New Jersey saying its not governments job to protect the flock and people need to make decisions. While Stewart was just the mouth piece I did not see any other news organizations playing those 2 clips side by side. As we go into a election cycle people should see/hear those things about all the candidates on both sides.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,256
    Stewart is fn hilarious and spot on with everything!
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    The end is nigh!

Comedy Central is going to take a huge financial hit in advertising, losing both Colbert and Stewart in the same year. Larry Wilmore's rating were down 40% from what Colbert had after his first three months on the air.
  • Options
    Anyone know of a live stream for the final episode? I cancelled my cable a couple weeks ago :fp:
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    FrankieG said:

Anyone know of a live stream for the final episode? I cancelled my cable a couple weeks ago :fp:

Frankie, you might be able to stream it live on comedy central's web site. Or you can try here: http://original.livestream.com/thedailysh
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    SD48277 said:

FrankieG said:

Frankie, you might be able to stream it live on comedy central's web site. Or you can try here: http://original.livestream.com/thedailysh
    Awesome! After work today I'm gonna try to figure out the app, thanks!
  • Options
    FrankieG said:

Pm me if you still need this
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Comedy central is airing random shows leading up to the finale. They just aired the post 9/11 show. Good stuff. The bill O'Reilly show is at 530.
  • Options
    Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    Yahoo put together of what they thought was his greatest moments. It includes the crossfire show.

news.yahoo.com/jon-stewart-daily-show-most-memorable-moments-video-clips-031638951.html#
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options

FrankieG said:

Thanks, but I'm good! They are streaming it live on the Comedy Central App for free with no cable provider password required. I'm downloading an emulator to my computer now. Thanks though!
  • Options
    pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    About as good of a send-off as you could ask for
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    pjradio said:

About as good of a send-off as you could ask for

agreed
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    FrankieG said:

FrankieG said:

Thanks, but I'm good! They are streaming it live on the Comedy Central App for free with no cable provider password required. I'm downloading an emulator to my computer now. Thanks though!
    I just finished watching the final show. I was disappointed when he said "this is my moment of zen." I knew the show was over. I didn't want that show to end. The show was great. I didn't watch the daily show as much as a watched David Letterman and obviously Stewart was around half the time as him, but I feel sad that he left the show. It really makes me feel old. I was 21 when he took over for Kilbourne.

Good job Jon. You did good buddy. Nothing you will ever do will be as successful as the daily show.

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827

Good job Jon. You did good buddy. Nothing you will ever do will be as successful as the daily show.

Neat! So, what's my fortune?
    :fearful:
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:

You've got your entire life ahead of you. Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827

dankind said:

You've got your entire life ahead of you. Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.
    Makes much more sense....
    I SAW PEARL JAM