Nice call Carroll.

2»

Comments

• It's the right call if you 1) play action, 2) you roll wilson out, 3) it's a corner route, and 4) wilson has the option to run it in or throw it away.
  • Might have been a bad call, but that sure was one of the all-time greatest game-ending plays in SB history.

Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    It's really not even close to being "the worst call in sports history." Relax, people. Had the play worked (which it has a high rate of doing so) no one would even question the call.

This.

AND a huge part of the whole play is Wilson's hesitation and lack of commitment. Yes, his received didn't attack the route, but Wilson still had him and could have hit him for a TD or at worst a line of scrimmage tackle. Wilson froze a split second too long and that made all the difference. If he completes that pass for a TD everyone calls the play absolutely gutsy and genius.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • :lol::triumph::hang_loose::joy::look_at_the_time::rock_on:

Oh, and for Pete Carroll :time_out:
    Because he sure could have used another one haha
  • JV130312JV130312 Posts: 2,457
    For Carroll, the decision to go pass was the right decision as far as his offensive personnel compared to what New England had on the field. There were definite mismatches. 11 personnel against the Pats base defense is a win-win almost every time.

The thing is, the more I watch that last play for Seattle the more I think Belicheck owned it the whole time...

With the clock running down, you might think the Patriots would call time out. For two reasons. 1. They are in a base defense and the Seahawks just came out with a 3 WR set. Advantage: Seahawks. 2. The clock is winding down and it looks like the Seahawks will get an easy score...right? Save some time for Tommy Boy.

However they don't call the timeout. Why? I think Belichick knew the Seahawks were going to pass it there. I think he was baiting them into that play and his players were ready for it. Butler said that they practiced that defense against that play all week. It paid off.

If the Patriots call time out and match personnel, the Seahawks audible to a run against a nickel D and most likely score. Staying in base D and Belicheck is gambling that Carroll will play the percentage and the match ups there and pass.

Belichick owned Carroll there. Out coached him in a major way. It was more a better "play" by Belichick than a bad call by Carroll.

I still think it was a bad call to throw there but understand why Carroll would opt for the play. Butler was just ready for it and broke on the ball like he'd been practicing it all week.

Personally, I would've run Lynch 2 more times and run Wilson once...not in that particular order.

Oh and by the way, the play that Hightower made to shed a block and tackle Lynch...one of the best plays of the game.
    I Know All The Rules But The Rules Do Not Know Me.
  • ^^ He gets it. BRAVO
  • I was shocked that he was letting that clock run. Theres more pressure on the pats defense to stop the score than there is on Seattle's offense to score.