Nice call Carroll.

starmap3333starmap3333 Posts: 3,925
edited February 2015 in All Encompassing Trip
Lol. This goes beyond OUTTHINKING the other coach. Total idiocy. Arrogant Pete got what he deserved!!
Post edited by Kat on

Comments

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    Rut roh...
    www.cluthelee.com
  • I dont believe he made the call and think he is taking the bullet for his coach -- no way to prove that but that is my read. I will always like The Pete even though I cannot stand the Seahawks and am glad they lost. If you knew what this guy did for people (not just football players) I think you would hate on him less.
    Or maybe not...that is your prerogative.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Glad the Pats won cuz I can't stand Pete the Cheat and Richard the Loudmouth, but I don't see why everyone is so quick to say "bad call." On 5 previous plays from the 1 during the season, Marshawn Lynch scored on only one of them. He ran for no gain on two, and lost yards on two others. The play was called knowing the Pats defense would be expecting run. If they catch it, touchdown. If it's incomplete, the clock stops, they can run a 3rd down play and then stop the clock with their final timeout to run a 4th down play if they don't make it. It's quite easy to understand the strategy.
    Lynch could just have easily fumbled and lost the ball on 2nd down (or 3rd or 4th). Or the Pats could've simply stopped them on the next three plays. You can't just automatically assume Seattle wins the game if they hand it to Lynch instead of passing it on that play.
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,517
    I agree, the call seemed pretty bad. In post-game interviews they obviously weren't thinking it would get intercepted. The figured that had 3 downs. Their worse case scenario is that it would be come an incomplete pass and Lynch would have 2 more tried to get it into the endzone. They were still trying to wind down the last 30 seconds. I guess that's sort of understandable. I would expect the QB to throw a turnover. If the coverage is good throw the ball away. You've run some time off the clock and you have 2 more attempts.

On the other hand why wouldn't you play it safe? The decision to go for the TD before the half was a ballsy one, but worse case scenario was you didnt' get a field goal, but still had half a game to make it up. In this case if something when wrong with the throw (which they were struggling the whole game with) it's game over.

I still think they should of given it to lynch. I guess they might of been worried Lynch would of got the TD first try, leaving about 25 seconds on the clock for the Pats.

I agree. Too much thinking. Seahawks cost themselves the superbowl.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    Too many armchair NFL analysts, not nearly enough talk about defective vault vinyls.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • ^^ Ha!
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    Everyone was expecting the run. If Wilson completes that pass, then he and Pete are heralded as madmen geniuses.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
    Zod wrote: »
    I guess they might of been worried Lynch would of got the TD first try, leaving about 25 seconds on the clock for the Pats.

The pass on 2nd down was not a dumb idea. If it's an incomplete pass, it stops the clock and still gives you 2 more downs with Lynch. If you run it, and he falls short, then you have to burn another timeout and/or risk losing too much time off the clock.
  • BinFrog wrote: »
    I guess they might of been worried Lynch would of got the TD first try, leaving about 25 seconds on the clock for the Pats.

The pass on 2nd down was not a dumb idea. If it's an incomplete pass, it stops the clock and still gives you 2 more downs with Lynch. If you run it, and he falls short, then you have to burn another timeout and/or risk losing too much time off the clock.

A high percentage pass, or one only the receiver can catch, like a fade, was not a bad idea. Or play action. Throwing to the middle of the field was questionable.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • SEACIDESEACIDE Posts: 410
    Poor call...worse throw.
    Prolly cost me $50
    Love is all you need.....
    BinFrog wrote: »

A high percentage pass, or one only the receiver can catch, like a fade, was not a bad idea. Or play action. Throwing to the middle of the field was questionable.

That up the middle slant pass is a high percentage pass.
  • starmap3333starmap3333 Posts: 3,925
    Lol. Lynch with an extra lineman is higher.
  • starmap3333starmap3333 Posts: 3,925
    I want ricardo lockett to decide our fate. Hahaaah. Im so happy they lost. Pete is too because Kraft wrote him a big check.
  • Terrible call. It's all about limiting possible damage while trying for the win. It's easier to intercept a pass into the end zone than it is to strip/cause a fumble from a running back in that situation. Should have run it every down. You put the ball in the best player on your team (lynch) and you ride him to Super Bowl victory or loss. That's what he gets paid to do.

Stupid move hawks.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,192
    Too many armchair NFL analysts, not nearly enough talk about defective vault vinyls.

HaHaHa... right on, man.
    Russell should've bootlegged it. :))

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• BinFrog wrote: »

Not on the one yard line where everyone is jumbled together
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,249
    Worst play call in Super Bowl history. Thread over.
  • GratefulJamGratefulJam Posts: 1,802
    True Steelers fans know what they are talking about !!

Not on the one yard line where everyone is jumbled together

"thru extensive negotiations we managed to get the curfew moved back..... we still don't have any time to fu&k around...."

LA II 06, SB 06, SF III 06, Kokua 07 Ed and Jack, Grant Park 07, EV Berk1 & LA 1 (nice job 10c), 08 DC, MSG1 &2, VH1 rocks, EV Bos II, EV NYC I & II, Milwaukee, EV Maui, EV Hono I & II, Chicago 09 I & II, LA 09 I & II & IV, SD 09 (my girlfriend hit the lottery, best concert of my life 10C rocks)KC 2010, STL 2010, Hartford. Boston, and MSG I & II "who goes around skinning cats anyway", PJ 20 2011 , Portland, Spokane, Seattle LA 2013, Home Shows + Missoula (fatal 👌)
  • Abe Froman wrote: »
    Worst play call in Super Bowl history. Thread over.
    No, that would be the three consecutive out patterns from Kaepernick to Crabtree a couple years ago. That shit was ridiculous.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,889
    I'm pretty upset. :-<
    It also crossed my mind that he perhaps didn't make that call himself, like someone else said. He might just be falling on the sword.... The only reason I think that might be the case is that it was such a stupid call that I have trouble believing he could have actually made it.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    He cost them the game against my ATL Falcons in 2013 by making boneheaded plays like keeping Lynch out in short yardage situations and then time expired while they were trying to setup a play. If they would've kicked the FG at the end of the first half they would've won the game.
    What I think of Carroll.... great motivator/not too good with X's and O's.
    at least I hope so since his D coordinator is the Falcons new coach.
    hope he was the brains behind the operation. we shall see

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• lolobugg wrote: »
    He cost them the game against my ATL Falcons in 2013 by making boneheaded plays like keeping Lynch out in short yardage situations and then time expired while they were trying to setup a play. If they would've kicked the FG at the end of the first half they would've won the game.

Sorry bud, The Pete is very involved in play calling for Defense and is known as a master at halftime defensive adjustments. Very much into the Xs and Os.
    He also is known to not be very into the Xs and Os on Offense...and this knowledge is why I keep saying that I think The Pete had little to do with that call. They may have run it past him but he typically weighs in on Go/No Go decisions for 4th downs but he doesnt make the actual play call. (Traditionally) This speaks against him saying to pass with a quick slant rather than run the ball.

It also, unfortunately for you, makes one caution the wisdom of placing too much of their defensive successes at the feet of his D Coordinator. This being stated however, everyone needs to learn from someone. So if his guy learned and is smart on his own as well maybe this was the time he needed to become a great coach.
  • Too many armchair NFL analysts, not nearly enough talk about defective vault vinyls.

I love it when people who have never played football in their life think they know what every coach and every player should have done in every game. :) Ah, sports. I mean, in this case I can understand it. But I think sports fans are pretty funny sometimes with their "we gotta do this" and "we're playing so and so this weekend."
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Well he truly is the MVP... more power to him for putting the all that faith on Wilson though... and yes, this coming from someone who has not played football
    2000 - Toronto
    2003 - Toronto
    2005 - Toronto
    2006 - Toronto I, Toronto II
    2009 - Toronto
    2011 - Hamilton
    2013 - Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2016 - Fort Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II, Wrigley I, Wrigley II
    2018 - Seattle I, Seattle II, Fenway I, Fenway II
    2020 - Toronto, Hamilton
    2022 - Las Vegas, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - St. Paul I, St. Paul II
    lolobugg wrote: »

Sorry bud, The Pete is very involved in play calling for Defense and is known as a master at halftime defensive adjustments. Very much into the Xs and Os.
    He also is known to not be very into the Xs and Os on Offense...and this knowledge is why I keep saying that I think The Pete had little to do with that call. They may have run it past him but he typically weighs in on Go/No Go decisions for 4th downs but he doesnt make the actual play call. (Traditionally) This speaks against him saying to pass with a quick slant rather than run the ball.

It also, unfortunately for you, makes one caution the wisdom of placing too much of their defensive successes at the feet of his D Coordinator. This being stated however, everyone needs to learn from someone. So if his guy learned and is smart on his own as well maybe this was the time he needed to become a great coach.

I was afraid he might be the Defensive guru, well hopefully Quinn learned something from him..
    In that case he needs to find a new O coordinator esp if it was the same clown calling plays in the 2013 playoff game. He made Mike Smith seem like a genius at clock management/4th down decision making.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• worst call of all time, dont know why its even up for discussion. Literally lost them the superbowl. Idc if they "thought" the worst case scenario was an incomplete pass because the worst case scenario is losing the game, which they did. Hand the ball off.
    Wrigley 2013 Cinci 2014
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,391
    Definitely worst call of all time. You go play action with a fade or run that shit right up the middle with one of the best rb s in the league. The prior play he had just picked up huge yardage.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • I thought the play calling earlier in the fourth and clock mismanagement on the final drive had more to do with them losing than the questionable play call that sealed their fate.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • It's really not even close to being "the worst call in sports history." Relax, people. Had the play worked (which it has a high rate of doing so) no one would even question the call.
  • They were gonna have to throw on one of those downs. One timeout, if you run and not get it on the first try you obviously have to burn the timeout. So the next play is going to have to be a pass play, so if it fails, the clock will stop for the final 4th down. Now that would have been high drama. The pass just came one play too early. All that said, the db for the pats made one of the best plays in the clutch i've ever seen.
    looking to hear of the earth