Christmas Shopping

So Its that magical time of the year. And if you are one of those "I hate Christmas" people? Do me a favor and stay the flying fuck out of this thread.

Anyway the tree is up, and I will decorate outside this weekend.

But the one thing that is different for me is the Holiday shopping experience. All my nieces have grown up and are off to college.
So Uncle SPEEDY cant buy them any loud, obnoxious toys/gadgets like he used to. Actually Uncle SPEEDY doesn't have to buy them gifts at all. Its the same with my 2 nephews. They done did grown up! haha

So now Kathy and I just have to buy for our folks, which is damn near impossible since anything they want/need, they already have.
So Christmas shopping for them is basically gift cards. As far as exchanging with my wife? We are going on vacation in May, and that is our gift to each other.

So basically Christmas shopping consists of one trip to Walgreens for some gift cards! HAHAHAHAHA!!

Who do you buy gifts for?
Do you do the whole "Mall Thing"
Do you have the BIG Christmas gift exchange with the family?
Is it a "grab bag" where you only have to buy for 1 family member?

Lets here it.
Tell us all about your Christmas shopping experience.
Take me piece by piece.....
Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....

Comments

• AnnafalkAnnafalk Posts: 4,004
    edited December 2014
    I buy to the children in the family my sisters and mine and to my parents. My mom always want a detective novel (Henning Mankel) and dad warm socks or pants.
    I think it's safest and easiest to buy gift certificate to the older children. :)
    Post edited by Annafalk on
  • NamiNami Posts: 5,995
    Fuck Christmas..... lol had too JK

Merry Christmas to All!

Lights are up outside and the decorations/ tree up on the inside. We have the gifts for our son almost complete and the wife and i are still undecided what to get for each other. We only buy for our parents and like you say, they have everything, so we have decided to buy them grocery gift cards.

its been a rough year for us so it is hard to get in the spirit of things .... but we're working on it with lots of booze!!! lol

cheers

Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • A bummer this Christmas...For me

The last 3 years I have had Christmas Eve dinner at my house. For Kathy's side of the family. I love cooking the traditional Christmas dinner, Prime Rib, Potatoes, Veggies etc. I love putting out all the Christmas dinnerware, tablecloth, blah blah. LOVE IT!

Well this year more members from her side of the family are coming from out of town, and my house is too damned small to have everyone over.

BUMMED!!!!!!
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,902

As far as exchanging with my wife? We are going on vacation in May, and that is our gift to each other.

are you going to the same place or separate vacations? :))

If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22

A bummer this Christmas...For me

The last 3 years I have had Christmas Eve dinner at my house. For Kathy's side of the family. I love cooking the traditional Christmas dinner, Prime Rib, Potatoes, Veggies etc. I love putting out all the Christmas dinnerware, tablecloth, blah blah. LOVE IT!

Well this year more members from her side of the family are coming from out of town, and my house is too damned small to have everyone over.

BUMMED!!!!!!

Garage perhaps? Next to the old oil bucket...lol. Rent a small hall, cook, serve, and enjoy family. Or just have pot luck at the bigger house and bring your goods
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Nami said:

A bummer this Christmas...For me

BUMMED!!!!!!

Garage perhaps? Next to the old oil bucket...lol. Rent a small hall, cook, serve, and enjoy family. Or just have pot luck at the bigger house and bring your goods
    Ha!

I'll end up at my sister in laws for Christmas Eve, and that's fine.

But I just enjoy having it at my place. I'm sure there are people who dread having to prepare the holiday feast.......But I truly enjoy it.

• ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    i am a terrible "gifts on cue" person. I tend to buy people shit for no reason other than "this is so you!" so when it comes down to birthdays and holidays I just go cheap and easy crap from Amazon. I have recently gotten a friend two vinyls, one was the new Foo Fighters which I pre-ordered the NY cover (cuz that's where we live) and something someone was selling on here for a very reasonable price. I shipped it straight to him and he got it when he got it and I said "MERRY CHRISTMAS!" sometime in the last couple weeks. Shopping done.

For my mom it's gonna be a little bit more difficult. I tend to get her little nice useful things like jewelry, last year I got her a kindle. But now with all the crap that's been going on I've been buying her stuff non stop because Medicare is stupid, and I feel like getting her things like jewelry or clothes is just sort of cruel. I bought her a new laptop which was just delivered two days ago, because Black Friday. So I really have NO idea what to get her as far as Christmas goes.

I am cursed with cooking the "feast" this year, so I think everyone will be getting leftover pernil for a Christmas present from me. :)

PS - Does anyone have a good recipe for pernil? It doesn't have to be in English.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • PJSirenPJSiren Posts: 5,863
    We bought our daughter two coins for her Australian collection so far...that was a pretty penny, but we actually got both for under what they're worth, so even though they're expensive, it was a steal! Then we're going to buy her some stuff for this ridiculous boy band she loves called 5 seconds of summer, and probably some duct tape because she's obsessed with duct tape.
    I asked for a kindle fire....
    I still have no idea what to get my hubby....
    Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • OMGkatwomanOMGkatwoman Posts: 3,230
    PJSiren said:

We bought our daughter two coins for her Australian collection so far...that was a pretty penny, but we actually got both for under what they're worth, so even though they're expensive, it was a steal! Then we're going to buy her some stuff for this ridiculous boy band she loves called 5 seconds of summer, and probably some duct tape because she's obsessed with duct tape.
    I asked for a kindle fire....
    I still have no idea what to get my hubby....

My niece is into the duct tape craze as well, I don't get it! LOL!
    I'm just about done with my Christmas shopping! Yay!!! The house is decorated inside and out, tree is up and all I got left to do is start my Christmas cookie baking!
    What's this duct tape craze
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
  • OMGkatwomanOMGkatwoman Posts: 3,230
    The kids make wallets etc... out of it, and most the kids craft stores carry it in different patterns and colors now
  • Love that duct tape! In Germany, they only sell it in grey and black :D You can use it to make colourful diy hula hoops too!

Since shipping is so expensive and my family is living in Germany and England, and we have the house to finish, I'm free of sending gifts to each and every of my nieces and nephews (4 in total), parents and grandparents. I'm kind of a "This is so you!" giver too, and if anything pops into my eye, I will make a gift out of occasion every other day of the year too. I had christmas cards made, so people will have to be happy with those.
    I got some stuff for Cav, but nothing big. We bought ourselves the Lincoln and Moline poster and a couple of days ago I scored one of these super cool, old Vitalogy health books on Ebay. This is gonna be my christmas present to myself.
    We will be spending christmas day with the family, and there will be a gift exchange too. Not sure what to get for Cav's nephew yet. He is 8 and obsessed with computer games, but we don't feel like feeding this obsession ...
    I will probably make German style beef rolls / Rouladen again, with red cabbage and sauerkraut and horseradish.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    In our family we draw names between the adults, so we only have to get one "big" present, plus our spouses (we can't draw the spouse's name), and the kids of course. I also am the designated Christmas dinner cook and though it is a bit hectic I really enjoy it. We have our dinner on December 24 so that my brother and his wife can attend the command performance at her mom's place on Christmas day. At first I didn't like the thought of doing the big dinner on Christmas Eve, but the first year I did it I realized it's actually fantastic - you get all the cooking out of the way the day before, then on Christmas day you can relax all day, doing whatever you like with family, and then have a big plate of leftovers. :D
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Oh, I like that idea with the draw!

Love that duct tape! In Germany, they only sell it in grey and black :D You can use it to make colourful diy hula hoops too!

I would never have thought of making a duct tape hula hoop!
    Tattooed Dissident!
    most of my friends families celebrate the 24th, so I get TWO X-mas dinners in a row
    :)
  • Sonja_SSonja_S Posts: 444
    I have a deal with most of my friends that we are not giving each other gifts anymore, but find a time shortly before or after Christmas and have a real nice and long dinner together, enjoying each other's company instead of stressing about gifts.

That doesn't go for their kids though; my best friend's daughter is 3 and a half, started reading when she was 3 and is driving her parents nuts because she's fishing the letter noodles out of her soup to build words, so she is going to get a kid's version of Scrabble.

My mother has been moaning about not having a tablet for months, so my sister and I set out to find one that she can actually use (she's 72) and bought a few accessories to go with it.
    My sister gets some stuff from her online wishlist and I'm still looking for a surprise to go along with it. Maybe I should look into duct tapes :P

I'm also still looking for something for our dog, who manages to destroy his toys within the first 5 minutes. :o3
    You can tell a man from what he has to say - Neil & Tim Finn
    They love you so badly for sharing their sorrow, so pick up that guitar and go break a heart - Kris Kristofferson
    My cat enjoys boxes. Order something big online and give your dog the box! :)
    We did end up buying her 4 new rolls of duct tape...spent like 21$ just on duct tape...it's ridiculous...Lmao!
    And I got my kindle fire already...it's amazing!
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • iamicaiamica Posts: 2,628
    I did a "Christmas truce" with most of my family, so we don't exchange gifts, we just hang out and eat a ton of food. It's like Thanksgiving, except there's a lot more chocolate. :D
    My in-laws, on the other hand, don't seem to understand the concept of "no presents", so we try to get something small for them, mostly gift cards. I have 3 nieces and one nephew under age 12, so I probably spend the most time trying to figure out what toys to get them. That part is always fun.
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Am I the only one who thinks an "I hate Christmas" attitude is actually right up Speedy's alley? LOL
  • I now have so many nieces and nephews. I hate the gift drawings. I end up buying a little something for everyone.
  • bluegracebluegrace Posts: 2,357
    I buy for the family, that's it. My friends and I don't exchange presents, which is a good thing. But I do like Christmas shopping since it's not for that many. We are supposed to go shopping later this week. I think it will be fun and hopefully there won't be that many out and about doing shopping as well.
    Kool Kat Club 1992, Moderna museet 1992, Globen 2012, Friends arena 2014
  • Rygar said:

Am I the only one who thinks an "I hate Christmas" attitude is actually right up Speedy's alley? LOL

No way! Here's how Speedy decorates his house:
    youtu.be/GQH4Epi792A
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."

Rygar said:

No way! Here's how Speedy decorates his house:
    youtu.be/GQH4Epi792A
    That's our Speedy, giving motorists epileptic seizures since 1992!
    Rygar said:

i was expecting a big FU to christmas in his original post. lol
    Nami said:

Rygar said:

This girl gets it!
    Rygar said:

Nami said:

Rygar said:

This girl gets it!
    girl? wtf ...
  • Rygar said:

Nami said:

Rygar said:

This girl gets it!
    Usually he posts "Fuck Santa" in the Secret Santa thread.
    =))
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
    Nami said:

Rygar said:

Nami said:

Rygar said:

This girl gets it!
    girl? wtf ...
    Guy? Sorry I don't pay enough attention around here ;)