Options

Dave Grohl: ‘I Thank God For Grunge Bands That Survived’

Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
Dave Grohl discussed Seattle and Grunge music in a new SeattlePI article.
http://www.seattlepi.com/entertainment/music/article/Dave-Grohl-I-would-be-here-if-it-weren-t-for-5917526.php

“Even just walking down the street when coming to Seattle … the city always made me feel at home,” Grohl said. “People say, ‘Hey, Dave’ as if I never left. It means a lot to me.

“There’s something about that place that welcomes you home like a small town – even if I haven’t been there for years,” he added.

Grohl later said, “Whenever I bump into someone from Seattle, I thank God they survived. I get really emotional when I see a band like Soundgarden or Pearl Jam play because I’m so happy that they survived – a lot of people didn’t.”

Comments

• Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255

http://www.seattlepi.com/entertainment/music/article/Dave-Grohl-I-would-be-here-if-it-weren-t-for-5917526.php

“Even just walking down the street when coming to Seattle … the city always made me feel at home,” Grohl said. “People say, ‘Hey, Dave’ as if I never left. It means a lot to me.

“There’s something about that place that welcomes you home like a small town – even if I haven’t been there for years,” he added.

Grohl later said, “Whenever I bump into someone from Seattle, I thank God they survived. I get really emotional when I see a band like Soundgarden or Pearl Jam play because I’m so happy that they survived – a lot of people didn’t.”

Vedder spun the first 3/4 songs for the foos on the radio in 94. Crazy how time flys.....
  • Options
    badbrains said:

Vedder spun the first 3/4 songs for the foos on the radio in 94. Crazy how time flys.....
    yeah, I was just thinking back to when my friend played a cassette tape of Ten for me, because almost no one had a CD player in their cars back then, I was so young back then, lol
  • Options

badbrains said:

yeah, I was just thinking back to when my friend played a cassette tape of Ten for me, because almost no one had a CD player in their cars back then, I was so young back then, lol
    Shit, I REALLY got into them my freshman year in college 93 Fullerton California. Met some kid that was into them as me but he was all into buying bootleg CDs from these 2 places in Fullerton. Back then no one what the fuck boots were but this kid not only knew, he knew which ones had AWESOME quality. He had so fucken many. And we used to sit in his car in the parking lot before class smoking a J and he'd be playing different songs and shit blew my mind. I was super hooked after that. Wow, what it would be to go back to 93. Shit
  • Options
    badbrains said:

badbrains said:

Shit, I REALLY got into them my freshman year in college 93 Fullerton California. Met some kid that was into them as me but he was all into buying bootleg CDs from these 2 places in Fullerton. Back then no one what the fuck boots were but this kid not only knew, he knew which ones had AWESOME quality. He had so fucken many. And we used to sit in his car in the parking lot before class smoking a J and he'd be playing different songs and shit blew my mind. I was super hooked after that. Wow, what it would be to go back to 93. Shit
    sounds like a good way to spend college
  • Options

badbrains said:

badbrains said:

Ya man, and I had this older friend who was into Tool so I was set for the 90's. What a decade.
  • Options
    badbrains said:

badbrains said:

badbrains said:

Ya man, and I had this older friend who was into Tool so I was set for the 90's. What a decade.
    and we had a good president
  • Options

badbrains said:

badbrains said:

badbrains said:

Now you're pushing it hank! =))
  • Options
    badbrains said:

badbrains said:

badbrains said:

badbrains said:

Now you're pushing it hank! =))
    your right, he was great, he was the Pearl Jam of presidents :)
  • Options
    SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 1,998
    Or the Unthought Known of presidents? :)
  • Options
    Sarava said:

Or the Unthought Known of presidents? :)

I think not, lol, maybe Love Boat Captain
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661

badbrains said:

badbrains said:

badbrains said:

You'd think ed would have cleaned up a bit for a white house visit! =))
  • Options

badbrains said:

badbrains said:

badbrains said:

You'd think ed would have cleaned up a bit for a white house visit! =))
    I think the guys got stoned before they met him, at least that is what they said in the Mudhoney movie
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,149
    edited November 2014
    Shit you guys just brought me back to the 90's! Thank you!! The 90's were fantastic... I too had a buddy who with I bought piles of bootleg CDs from local places. No Fuckin Messiah comes to mind as one he had I was jealous of....

And then there were all the people on the web who we traded with, mailing maxell xL-II's in padded envelopes all over the country. I still have a few hundred old cassettes of pj shows collecting dust where I grew up. Good stuff.

And yeah, you think Ed looks back now and laughs and is like "shit I coulda looked a bit better or put together when I had met Clinton!"

Edit- damn autocorrect. Didn't have that in the 90's.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,721
    Oh no Ed looked like Ed when he met Clinton.....that's exactly how he would have wanted it, he was obviously invited for a reason and that wasn't to dress like someone he wasn't.

Anyway, great words from Dave. Its always great hearing fellow musicians appreciate what we appreciate....
  • Options
    juddboz80juddboz80 Posts: 2,141
    Good read, how is the documentary??? I haven't seen it yet, worth checking out?
    Cant buy what i want cause its free....
  • Options
    pdalowsky said:

Oh no Ed looked like Ed when he met Clinton.....that's exactly how he would have wanted it, he was obviously invited for a reason and that wasn't to dress like someone he wasn't.

Anyway, great words from Dave. Its always great hearing fellow musicians appreciate what we appreciate....

and it is not like Bill Clinton was in a suit or tie, he was pretty casual, and the two have kept in touch, I recall with in the past year or two Eddie playing a fundraiser for the Bill Clinton Foundation or whatever it is they call it, so Eddie would laugh at that photo now, kind of like when they ask him about that MTV special for Singles
  • Options
    juddboz80 said:

which one? The Mudhoney movie is great, and the series Dave is doing is an 8 part series and I have yet to see it, he is going to 8 different series, obviously the Seattle is the one I anticipate seeing the most
  • Options

Shit you guys just brought me back to the 90's! Thank you!! The 90's were fantastic... I too had a buddy who with I bought piles of bootleg CDs from local places. No Fuckin Messiah comes to mind as one he had I was jealous of....

And then there were all the people on the web who we traded with, mailing maxell xL-II's in padded envelopes all over the country. I still have a few hundred old cassettes of pj shows collecting dust where I grew up. Good stuff.

And yeah, you think Ed looks back now and laughs and is like "shit I coulda looked a bit better or put together when I had met Clinton!"

Edit- damn autocorrect. Didn't have that in the 90's.

yeah the 90's were awesome, and auto correct can suck
  • Options
    TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,463

badbrains said:

badbrains said:

badbrains said:

I happen to know what they are saying in this photo:
    Bill: Eddie, would you have had sex with Monica Lewinsky if you were me?
    Ed: Hmmmm........
  • Options
    TJ25487 said:

badbrains said:

badbrains said:

badbrains said:

I happen to know what they are saying in this photo:
    Bill: Eddie, would you have had sex with Monica Lewinsky if you were me?
    Ed: Hmmmm........
    lol, I think he was saying, "downstairs I got the really good shit"
  • Options
    juddboz80 said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0TrqXHoL10
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,250
    juddboz80 said:

Yah it's been really good. My favorite eps so far have been Chicago and Nashville. The Nashville one was really good.
  • Options
    Zod said:

juddboz80 said:

Yah it's been really good. My favorite eps so far have been Chicago and Nashville. The Nashville one was really good.
    Fuck that! The DC show with the bad brains was the BEST! Haha
  • Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    badbrains said:

Zod said:

juddboz80 said:

Agreed, but I am definitely looking forward to Seattle and NY. I know they were limited to a certain amount of cities due to time constraints and song constraints for the album, but I am surprised Detroit and Boston did not make the list.
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    SD48277 said:

badbrains said:

Zod said:

juddboz80 said:

Agreed, but I am definitely looking forward to Seattle and NY. I know they were limited to a certain amount of cities due to time constraints and song constraints for the album, but I am surprised Detroit and Boston did not make the list.
    Ya Boston being omitted is a head scratcher to me as well. Seattle should be great. Couple more hrs!
  • Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    badbrains said:

SD48277 said:

badbrains said:

Zod said:

juddboz80 said:

Ya Boston being omitted is a head scratcher to me as well. Seattle should be great. Couple more hrs!
    Woo Hoo!
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    mwplummwplum Posts: 1,516
    Even as a Canadian, it was cool having him as a president to the south in the 90's...after that, there were some dark times for 8 years in the US afterwards, it just was not fun to travel to the US. Whether or not you like Obama, things have gotten much better (from an outsider's perspective) over the past 6 years (it's actually gone the opposite way for us up here as we have an idiot on par with W. running our country now).

...Having just done Memphis-SF...watching republican ads, seeing how the midterm elections went, and checking out the general political climate, I'm actually quite scared about the post 2016 period for the US....I get the feeling that another period of dark times are ahead...
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    1998-7-19 Vancouver, 7-21 Seattle, Memorial Stadium
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    2009-8-17 Manchester, 9-25 Vancouver
    2011-6-16 Seattle (EV), 9-3/4 PJ20, 9-25 Vancouver
    2012-6-27 Amsterdam (#2!)
    2013-11-29 Portland, 12-4 Vancouver, 12-6 Seattle
    2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
    2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
    2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
    2018 - Seattle x 2, Missoula, Fenway x 2
  • Options
    Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    mwplum said:

Even as a Canadian, it was cool having him as a president to the south in the 90's...after that, there were some dark times for 8 years in the US afterwards, it just was not fun to travel to the US. Whether or not you like Obama, things have gotten much better (from an outsider's perspective) over the past 6 years (it's actually gone the opposite way for us up here as we have an idiot on par with W. running our country now).

...Having just done Memphis-SF...watching republican ads, seeing how the midterm elections went, and checking out the general political climate, I'm actually quite scared about the post 2016 period for the US....I get the feeling that another period of dark times are ahead...

I really hope not. My hope is people elect Hillary just to get her and Bill back into the white house. Bring back the 90's!
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    cdysinge said:

mwplum said:

I really hope not. My hope is people elect Hillary just to get her and Bill back into the white house. Bring back the 90's!
    Imagine if she gets in the White House for 8 years. Now imagine that, 2 bushes (12 years) and 2 Clinton's (16, yes 16 years), 28/36 years 2 family's have run the country. Now imagine if Jeb wins. Think about it. Hahaha
  • Options
    Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    A Bush and a Clinton need to have a love child just so we can make them our King or Queen. We could have our own royalty.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle