Options

I'm sorry to be the guy, but it's complete BS

Comments

• Options

I think we need to step back and see that for each of the last several tours (even maybe to 2006) there is at most 1 or 2 posters that sell out quick on the webpage.

OK, but what about waiting hours in line only to get shut out at the venue? Then you have to hope that there will be extra's sold online at a later date? I just hate to see people shut out that attend a show, and then have to shell out serious $$ on the secondary market. Look, we are talking about posters & stickers here. If there is a way for the band to make more money and provide a way to have merchandise more easily attainable for fans that attend shows, everyone wins, right? For the serious collector, there will always be a way and a means to get what they want...
    They need to stop selling Merch outside of the venue. That would be a great start.
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254

I don't know how the band are expected to second guess the poster sales when very few actually hit this level of demand and the majority sit in the store until they are either vastly reduced in price or put in mystery boxes/tubes. We have created this merch monster ourselves so I find the bitching hilariously ironic. The day PJ start catering to everyone's needs successfully and the complaint threads miraculously disappears I'll eat Big Bank Hank's pink corduroys.

=D> Well spoken Gary!!! =D>
    The Moline poster is just average for me...
    Milwaukee & Lincoln were both better to my eyes!!
    In my opinion, we didn't get ANYTHING on this tour,
    that was even close to last year's Pittsburgh - Munk One or Portland - Emek!!
    I'm still more surprised that the St. Louis one DID sell out!!
    I think you're safe & won't be eating those pants anytime soon =))
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,593

I think we need to step back and see that for each of the last several tours (even maybe to 2006) there is at most 1 or 2 posters that sell out quick on the webpage.

OK, but what about waiting hours in line only to get shut out at the venue? Then you have to hope that there will be extra's sold online at a later date? I just hate to see people shut out that attend a show, and then have to shell out serious $$ on the secondary market. Look, we are talking about posters & stickers here. If there is a way for the band to make more money and provide a way to have merchandise more easily attainable for fans that attend shows, everyone wins, right? For the serious collector, there will always be a way and a means to get what they want...
    They need to stop selling Merch outside of the venue. That would be a great start.
    Agreed.
  • Options
    JV130312JV130312 STATE OF LOVE & TRUST Posts: 2,415
    The print isn't even that good to be worth $300.00.
    I Know All The Rules But The Rules Do Not Know Me.
  • Options
    stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,359

=D> =D>
  • Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810

What im not understanding is i got moline thought i got st paul too but somehow st paul got cancelled because its sold out, just seems odd that st paul would sell out so quick

St. Paul appears back up. Doesn't say sold out.
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346

Yes, on board with this too.

• Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,190
    screw this, i'm going out to riot...
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,293

I don't know how the band are expected to second guess the poster sales when very few actually hit this level of demand and the majority sit in the store until they are either vastly reduced in price or put in mystery boxes/tubes. We have created this merch monster ourselves so I find the bitching hilariously ironic. The day PJ start catering to everyone's needs successfully and the complaint threads miraculously disappears I'll eat Big Bank Hank's pink corduroys.

If I remember correctly, back in 2009 when the SLC "red mosquito" poster was in high demand, the 10c actually had more printed.
    It killed the secondary market but everyone who wanted one got one.
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    PJ-Cubs said:

If I remember correctly, back in 2009 when the SLC "red mosquito" poster was in high demand, the 10c actually had more printed.
    The original run didn't realize it's full potential because of the black paper so a little while latter Brad Klausen got permission to do a small run of approx 200 (I forget) on white paper as sort of a second run of A/P's as he intended the print to look...

Huge difference by the way, the white paper SLC is pretty sick

Anyway, that is what I remember, could be wrong

• Options
    PJ-Cubs said:

I think that was a paper / printing error...
    I could be wrong, but I seem to remember the first batch were printed on black paper & they were too dark, so Klausen did a reprint on different paper...does anyone else remember this??
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2

• Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,490
    The band's management definitely wants a secondary market. If posters are going for big dollars on ebay it creates demand for every new release. Otherwise there would be no urgency for people to buy and posters would rarely sell out. People are lemmings when it comes to hard to find items... whether its a poster or cabbage patch kids. Don't kid yourself... most people buy posters because they're sucked in by the hype of inflated prices on ebay and they dont want to miss out on the next big thing.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    GP179117GP179117 Posts: 362
    I don't want them to make more. I like that some stuff is limited edition.

Sometimes I score, sometimes I don't. It's all part of the fun that is collecting PJ.
    Tempers are wearing thin. Let's hope some robot doesn't kill everybody.
  • Options
    PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,293
    derbydave said:

PJ-Cubs said:

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember the first batch were printed on black paper & they were too dark, so Klausen did a reprint on different paper...does anyone else remember this??
    I thought the printing error was only corrected for Brad's AP. I think he sold APs on black paper and then got permission to do another run of 200 on white paper.

For the show edition that the 10c sold, I think they were all on black paper. If I remember correctly, demand for the print was huge but everyone who wanted one got one during the 10c sale. I thought they made more for the sale to meet demand
  • Options
    iwasatpj20iwasatpj20 Rockford, IL Posts: 3,346
    derbydave said:

PJ-Cubs said:

I remember reading that Brad called Jeff Ament about how the paper was too dark and a new short run was made with Jeff's consent. That is the story I heard.
    2000 - Chicago, IL
    2003 - Champaign, IL
    2006 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2007 - Chicago, IL Lollapalooza
    2009 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2010 - St. Louis, MO
    2011 - East Troy, WI 1 & 2 (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2012 - Atlanta, GA, Missoula, MT
    2013 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), Dallas, TX, Oklahoma City, OK
    2014 - St. Louis, MO, Tulsa, OK, Moline, IL (No Code, IL), Saint Paul, MN, Milwaukee, WI (Yield, WI)
    2016 - Greenville, SC (Vs, SC), Raleigh, NC, Columbia, SC, Boston, MA (Fenway Park 1), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)
    2018 - Seattle, WA (Safeco Field 2), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2), Boston, MA (Fenway Park 2)
    2020 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, ??
    2022 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, Las Vegas, NV
    2023 - St. Paul, MN 2, Fort Worth, TX 2, Austin, TX 1, and Austin, TX 2
    2024 - Portland, OR and Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)

2012 - Temple of the Dog East Troy, WI (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2014 - Soundgarden Tinley Park, IL (with Nine Inch Nails)
    2014 - Alice in Chains Davenport, IA
    2016 - Chris Cornell Solo Madison, WI and Peoria, IL (official hometown show)
    2016 - Temple of the Dog San Francisco, CA (both shows)
    2017 - Soundgarden Dallas (cancelled) RIP Chris Cornell
    2018 - Smashing Pumpkins Chicago, IL (first show)
    2019 - Alice in Chains Milwaukee, WI
    2022 - Jerry Cantrell Chicago, IL
    2023 - Jerry Cantrell Milwaukee, WI

RIP Andrew Wood, Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, and Chris Cornell

RIP Mom (may your star shine the brightest in the sky, our family loves and misses you very much, we'll meet again)

• Options
    I just remembered something about the print being too dark for Brad & them doing the second run!!
    I know these second run posters sat in the 10 Club shop for YEARS!!
    Think they ended up going for $10 or $15!!

• Options
    Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    on2legs said:

The band's management definitely wants a secondary market. If posters are going for big dollars on ebay it creates demand for every new release. Otherwise there would be no urgency for people to buy and posters would rarely sell out. People are lemmings when it comes to hard to find items... whether its a poster or cabbage patch kids. Don't kid yourself... most people buy posters because they're sucked in by the hype of inflated prices on ebay and they dont want to miss out on the next big thing.

+1

Same reason they do limited releases on vinyl and same reason they dont just put everything out there. How many people buy one just to leave sealed. How many people buy them even though they dont have a player. That whole market would exist if everything was mass available. Without that market it would probably die as a method of putting music out.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    cdysinge said:

on2legs said:

+1

Same reason they do limited releases on vinyl and same reason they dont just put everything out there. How many people buy one just to leave sealed. How many people buy them even though they dont have a player. That whole market wouldn't exist if everything was mass available. Without that market it would probably die as a method of putting music out.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,181
    JV130312 said:

The print isn't even that good to be worth $300.00.

Yeah, I agree. I understand the Pittsburgh Munk Print, which was absolutely amazing. The Schuss Crackerjack was very cool and fitting for the old school Wrigley baseball theme. Just not a fan of this print for the price its fetching, to each their own though.

I just got out of work, saw the St. Paul poster up and grabbed it for my buddy who lives in MN. Took him to his first show in Hartford 2013 and I know he was disappointed he couldn't make it to St. Paul. He better frame it though. Haha
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,911

Many of us have said it multiple times: pre-orders. Look at third man records. Every single package has a three month sign up window. No sell outs. The first few packages on ebay are nutso in price, but once people started realizing what was going on, the newer, equally awesome packages go for face value or slightly higher.
    PJ at one time did poster presles here on the site, which was awesome, not only for meeting demand, but also so you weren't carrying around a poster at the show.
    These merch trucks outside the venue were a great idea in theory, to allow you to get your merch, go back home/hotel to stash your goods, then hit the show with nothing in hand but beer. Maybe it would work better if they limited every item to one per person, AND you also have to show your ticket to be allowed to buy. The st paul poster was on ebay before the show started! That is ludicrous. $100 for a bright yellow shirt. Gimme a break.
    I think this band/fanclub honestly have their hearts in the right place, but they are falling right into the secondary market's hands.
    Make no mistake, these guys are music fans too. In PJ20, there is a spot about Mike outside signing autographs, and he recalls being in the same baot trying to get signatures from the Scorpions. Do you honestly believe that if, back in his or Ed's pre-fame days, that they would not have been pissed if they or the Who put out an uber rare record that they only sold 2000 of and they couldn't get a copy of? Don't let their anti-corporate stance fool you; they would want this shit just as much as you or I do.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    iwasatpj20iwasatpj20 Rockford, IL Posts: 3,346

Many of us have said it multiple times: pre-orders. Look at third man records. Every single package has a three month sign up window. No sell outs. The first few packages on ebay are nutso in price, but once people started realizing what was going on, the newer, equally awesome packages go for face value or slightly higher.
    PJ at one time did poster presles here on the site, which was awesome, not only for meeting demand, but also so you weren't carrying around a poster at the show.
    These merch trucks outside the venue were a great idea in theory, to allow you to get your merch, go back home/hotel to stash your goods, then hit the show with nothing in hand but beer. Maybe it would work better if they limited every item to one per person, AND you also have to show your ticket to be allowed to buy. The st paul poster was on ebay before the show started! That is ludicrous. $100 for a bright yellow shirt. Gimme a break.
    I think this band/fanclub honestly have their hearts in the right place, but they are falling right into the secondary market's hands.
    Make no mistake, these guys are music fans too. In PJ20, there is a spot about Mike outside signing autographs, and he recalls being in the same baot trying to get signatures from the Scorpions. Do you honestly believe that if, back in his or Ed's pre-fame days, that they would not have been pissed if they or the Who put out an uber rare record that they only sold 2000 of and they couldn't get a copy of? Don't let their anti-corporate stance fool you; they would want this shit just as much as you or I do.

Pre ordering is the way to go on the merchandise. I hated waiting in line to get a shirt, poster, sticker, and button and seeing merchandise on EBAY. Another way to stop with the out of control sticker and button prices is to sell a full set after a tour is done with, it would allow more fans to get them without paying outrage prices for everything now.
    2000 - Chicago, IL
    2003 - Champaign, IL
    2006 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2007 - Chicago, IL Lollapalooza
    2009 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2010 - St. Louis, MO
    2011 - East Troy, WI 1 & 2 (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2012 - Atlanta, GA, Missoula, MT
    2013 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), Dallas, TX, Oklahoma City, OK
    2014 - St. Louis, MO, Tulsa, OK, Moline, IL (No Code, IL), Saint Paul, MN, Milwaukee, WI (Yield, WI)
    2016 - Greenville, SC (Vs, SC), Raleigh, NC, Columbia, SC, Boston, MA (Fenway Park 1), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)
    2018 - Seattle, WA (Safeco Field 2), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2), Boston, MA (Fenway Park 2)
    2020 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, ??
    2022 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, Las Vegas, NV
    2023 - St. Paul, MN 2, Fort Worth, TX 2, Austin, TX 1, and Austin, TX 2
    2024 - Portland, OR and Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)

2012 - Temple of the Dog East Troy, WI (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2014 - Soundgarden Tinley Park, IL (with Nine Inch Nails)
    2014 - Alice in Chains Davenport, IA
    2016 - Chris Cornell Solo Madison, WI and Peoria, IL (official hometown show)
    2016 - Temple of the Dog San Francisco, CA (both shows)
    2017 - Soundgarden Dallas (cancelled) RIP Chris Cornell
    2018 - Smashing Pumpkins Chicago, IL (first show)
    2019 - Alice in Chains Milwaukee, WI
    2022 - Jerry Cantrell Chicago, IL
    2023 - Jerry Cantrell Milwaukee, WI

RIP Andrew Wood, Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, and Chris Cornell

RIP Mom (may your star shine the brightest in the sky, our family loves and misses you very much, we'll meet again)

• Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,763
    edited November 2014
    JB128716 said:

Start your own band and do it differently

Oh no! Someone dared to question the way the almighty 10c does something...the humanity! Give me a break.
    Post edited by Indifference71 on
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,763

Pre ordering is the way to go on the merchandise. I hated waiting in line to get a shirt, poster, sticker, and button and seeing merchandise on EBAY. Another way to stop with the out of control sticker and button prices is to sell a full set after a tour is done with, it would allow more fans to get them without paying outrage prices for everything now.

Yep. Presales would solve a lot of the problems with the merch. Not sure why they got rid of the poster presales.....
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    What makes me laugh is that a lot of people (note that I'm not saying everyone) were bitching about the posters. Hated them. Thought they were awful. Then, they are grabbing them up as soon as they are up for sale. I was in the Cincy GA line and heard about how people hated the poster. (I love it and it hangs on my wall.) Cincinnati sold out online. Even Popeye sold out and that one made me scratch my head a little. (I've heard it is better in person.)

I'm confused why there was so much complaining about the actual poster, yet now there is complaining because there are not enough available.

Not trying to pick on anyone with my post here. Just need some clarity.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    It's prob not 10c putting limits on posters. The artists prob want limited production so they can get hyped up and charge 2-3 times more for AP prints. And will eventually drive up sales for the next time. But if they printed more of the popular ones and even called it second edition, they could make more money...
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,911
    deadendp said:

What makes me laugh is that a lot of people (note that I'm not saying everyone) were bitching about the posters. Hated them. Thought they were awful. Then, they are grabbing them up as soon as they are up for sale. I was in the Cincy GA line and heard about how people hated the poster. (I love it and it hangs on my wall.) Cincinnati sold out online. Even Popeye sold out and that one made me scratch my head a little. (I've heard it is better in person.)

I'm confused why there was so much complaining about the actual poster, yet now there is complaining because there are not enough available.

Not trying to pick on anyone with my post here. Just need some clarity.

probably because people like to have the poster of the show they were at, and are just disappointed that it's not another "classic". The Winnipeg 2011 was weird. But it will be on my wall next to Fargo 2003, Winnipeg 2005, and St Paul 2014, and Ed Minnie 2011.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255

JB128716 said:

Start your own band and do it differently

Oh no! Someone dared to question the way the almighty 10c does something...the humanity! Give me a break.
    =)) =)) =))
  • Options
    camaroscamaros Posts: 1,003
    Caelum said:

Not as much BS as actually buying it, getting a confirmation email, and celebrating, only to get another email minutes later saying basically, "Sorry, we don't actually have that, but here's a refund!"

That does suck
    i like sound...
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    I cried a bit last night....
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    edited November 2014

I cried a bit last night....

Over a poster?? Man, hate to ever see you at a funeral... =))
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville