Those who have learned
    To love one another
    Have made their way
    To the lasting world
    And will not leave,
    Whatever happens.

WENDELL BERRY!! I love that guy!

:-bd
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    For some reason, Dr. Seuss in all his sweet simple wisdom came to mind.

And I hope this isn't inappropriate but that gave way to a thought of Pandora and some of what she wrote in the poetry forum.

I think she would've been all over this thread :D
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    brianlux said:

rgambs said:

Wendell Berry :
    Whatever happens,
    Those who have learned
    To love one another
    Have made their way
    To the lasting world
    And will not leave,
    Whatever happens.

Awezome guy, don't agree with him always, but I like the cut of his jib and his SERIOUS naturalism.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    hedonist said:

Thank you for translating - the grey beret line hit me.

When my husband introduced me to Tool on the mixed-cd, his request was to listen to H first. It took me a bit to get what he meant, but when I got it, I got it huge.

"considerately killing me" and the gorgeously-screamed "I DON'T MIND".

Yes, it's one of our songs :)

Lyrics below but I couldn't be arsed to separate the lines based on the cut & paste from their website. Worth the read if anyone has the inclination. It too is poetry; hell, fucking Maynard is a poet.

What's coming through is alive. What's holding up is a mirror. But what's singing songs is a snake looking to turn this piss to wine. They're both totally void of hate, but killing me just the same. The snake behind me hisses what my damage could have been. My blood before me begs meopen up my heart again. And I feel this coming over like a storm again. considerately. Venomous voice, tempts me, drains me, bleeds me, leaves me cracked and empty. Drags me down like some sweet gravity. The snake behind me hisses what my damage could have been. My blood before me begs me open up my heart again. And I feel this coming over like a storm again. I am too connected to you to slip away, to fade away. Days away I still feel you touching me, changing me, and considerately killing me. Without the skin, beneath the storm, under these tears the walls came down. And the snake is drowned and as I look in his eyes, my fear begins to fade recalling all of those times. I could have cried then. I should have cried then. And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes my fear begins to fade recalling all of the times I have died and will die. It's all right. I don't mind. I am too connected to you to slip away, to fade away. Days away I still feel you touching me, changing me, and considerately killing me

Considerately killing me is an awesome lyric, I will have to look that one up Tool is the most original band ever!
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    my two loves...Beer and retirement.
    Retirement Plans
    of course my wife and dogs too. :)
  • Options
    Aye, gambs!

And Smelly, I picture you as Homer right now :D
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,732
    rgambs said:

brianlux said:

rgambs said:

Wendell Berry :
    Whatever happens,
    Those who have learned
    To love one another
    Have made their way
    To the lasting world
    And will not leave,
    Whatever happens.

Awezome guy, don't agree with him always, but I like the cut of his jib and his SERIOUS naturalism.
    I met Mr Berry a few years ago. I told him that I had sent him a couple of letters several years ago during a difficult time in my life (I guess what they call a "midlife crisis") and that the replies he sent me had a great and positive influence and effect on my life. He kind of gave me this sheepish smile and said, "Well I'm glad I did something right." OH man, I thought, of course you did- you're Wendell Berry! I truly and sincerely love that man.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Anyone have a favorite love story? It sure isnt Romeo and Juliet for me! That is not half the love story it is commonly thought to be.
    :-w :P
    Romeo is already love-sick for Rosaline when he meets Juliet, and immediately falls head over heels for her. They only meet each other 3 times, and they only know each other for less than a week!

I am a big fan of the film "What dreams May Come". It is based on one of the greatest love stories of all time, the Greek myth of Orpheus and Eurydice, wherein he journeys to hell to retrieve his wife. Robin Williams delivers an outstanding performance as well, worth the watch!
  • Options
    I've loved that film each time I've seen it - the visuals alone are extraordinarily beautiful - and I had no idea of its basis.

As to your question...I'd say if we're lucky, our own stories of love are our favorite. Mine is :)
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    No favorite love stories. But I usually despise love songs and for some reason Lightening Bolt is the best love song I've listened to. I actually don't hate it!! That's saying a lot, cause usually anything like that literally makes me sick, like Future Days, makes me want to puke!! Lol so no favorite love stories from me.. But I am enjoying this thread..

And Hedo, yes this thread made me think of Pandora too, she really would have loved this!
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    Breathe out.
    So I can Breathe you In.

Hold you In....

Dave Grohl
  • Options
    Nothing pukeworthy about it, Future Days is beautiful! I prefer it Just Breathe and The End (minus the keyed intro, should have gone with strings!) and certainly over anything by bands like GnR and ACDC which lack emotional depth.
    That's a great love song by the Foos, classic!
  • Options
    rr, that lyric gets me too.

Thin Air is another one - it came at the perfect time, reflected the power of connection and affection across miles.

By the way, every time I see this thread title now, I start humming the theme to the Love Boat :D
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    Love is a great emotion that requires understanding and the ability to accept love that is given and I think that may be one of the bigger obsticals, I'm sure love is many thing's for many people, it hurts,it heals and could be the only thing that could really bring understanding to a crazy world.

Godfather.
  • Options

Love is a great emotion that requires understanding and the ability to accept love that is given and I think that may be one of the bigger obsticals, I'm sure love is many thing's for many people, it hurts,it heals and could be the only thing that could really bring understanding to a crazy world.

Godfather.

Hell yeah, GF.

Willingness to be vulnerable to hurt in the process? That is love.
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    rgambs said:

Let me not to the marriage of true minds
    Admit impediments. Love is not love
    Which alters when it alteration finds,
    Or bends with the remover to remove:
    Oh, no! it is an ever fix`ed mark,
    That looks on tempests and is never shaken;
    It is the star to ever wandering bark
    Whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken.
    Love's not Time's fool, though rosy lips and cheeks
    Within His bending sickle's compass come;
    Love alters not with His brief hours and weeks,
    But bears it out even to the edge of doom.
    If this be error and upon me proved,
    I never writ, nor no man ever loved.

Haha, god this reminds me of university. I was in a seminar called "Love poetry", and we learned how to read this very sonnet in it's original pronunciation. The professor was a middle aged, very educated woman who always talked about "physical togetherness"
    :))

Back to topic... While I don't believe in love at first sight, there is definitely something to that theory that humans know after a couple of seconds if they like somebody or not, even without talking to them. I find that quite interesting. Right away, you are unconsciously eliminating or sorting in. When I met my husband at the preparty for PJ20, I instantly took a liking to him. So I agreed to spend a weekend with him in the Detroit area. I drove there a week later all the way from Chicago in a rented car (my first automatic too) for a weird adventure. It could have ended badly with the wrong person, but my instincs served me well and we are happily married for almost two years now.
    I was single for almost 7 years before that and did not try to find love actively anymore. It comes when it comes. No need to give up hope or abandon love altogether. There is always a tomorrow.
  • Options

rgambs said:

Let me not to the marriage of true minds
    Admit impediments. Love is not love
    Which alters when it alteration finds,
    Or bends with the remover to remove:
    Oh, no! it is an ever fix`ed mark,
    That looks on tempests and is never shaken;
    It is the star to ever wandering bark
    Whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken.
    Love's not Time's fool, though rosy lips and cheeks
    Within His bending sickle's compass come;
    Love alters not with His brief hours and weeks,
    But bears it out even to the edge of doom.
    If this be error and upon me proved,
    I never writ, nor no man ever loved.

Haha, god this reminds me of university. I was in a seminar called "Love poetry", and we learned how to read this very sonnet in it's original pronunciation. The professor was a middle aged, very educated woman who always talked about "physical togetherness"
    :))

Back to topic... While I don't believe in love at first sight, there is definitely something to that theory that humans know after a couple of seconds if they like somebody or not, even without talking to them. I find that quite interesting. Right away, you are unconsciously eliminating or sorting in. When I met my husband at the preparty for PJ20, I instantly took a liking to him. So I agreed to spend a weekend with him in the Detroit area. I drove there a week later all the way from Chicago in a rented car (my first automatic too) for a weird adventure. It could have ended badly with the wrong person, but my instincs served me well and we are happily married for almost two years now.
    I was single for almost 7 years before that and did not try to find love actively anymore. It comes when it comes. No need to give up hope or abandon love altogether. There is always a tomorrow.
    That's actually inspirational! And you two are a great match! Maybe there IS hope!
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    hedonist said:

Godfather.

Hell yeah, GF.

Willingness to be vulnerable to hurt in the process? That is love.
    high 5 girl !

Godfather.

• Options

Godfather.

Right on! Great insight, accepting love is difficult for some... Some feel they don't deserve love and others, as HedoBot pointed out, are afraid of the vulnerability that comes bandaged hand in hand with love! Our crazy world needs more love of every variety.
  • Options
    When I first read Ishmael, I was taken aback and a bit disappointed in myself in not seeing the obvious.

(I still shake my fist; damn you, Quinn!)

Many a time I had to go back some pages in the book and re-digest - almost as mental confirmation of what I'd read and how perfectly sensible, reasonable and also instinctual were his words.

That "how did I not get this" epiphany - the light-bulb moment.

It somehow hit me via a nice little mental slap in realizing that love has no capacity to flourish if we don't love ourselves to begin with.

Actually...fuck loving ourselves and its triteness.

Let us like ourselves, be comfortable BEING with ourselves just one on one.

The rest will break the glass naturally.

• Options
    ^^^ Ishmael is an amazing book-light-bulb-in-the-brain going off, indeed!

Here's nifty little love ditty from the amazing Psychedelic Furs- "We Love You"

I'm in love with Catholics
    I'm in love with your blue cars
    I'm in love with the words that scream
    We are so stupid, we all dream

I'm in love with Frank Sinatra
    Fly me to the moon
    I'm in love with fools like you
    I'm in love with doing the twist

I'm in love with the bodies that scream
    They fall so far, they fall so far
    I'm in love with The Supremes
    Oh, baby love

I'm in love with Sophia Loren
    I'm in love with Bridget Bardot
    I'm in love with the whole dumb scene
    I'm so in love, you know what I mean

I'm in love with Anthea and Donna
    All that shit that goes, uptown top ranking

I'm in love with the factory
    I'm in love with the BBC
    I'm in love with your TV
    They're so in love with you and me

I'm in love with a nuclear bomb it falls
    I'm in love with shopping city dreams
    I'm in love with real men
    They go through the air for oxygen

Love is just a car like you
    That turns so blue and turns so blue
    No blue cars will run my world
    No playboys will black my word

I would walk a million smiles
    For one of your miles Bob
    Hey, stop, stop, stop, stop, stop, stop

We love you, we love you, we love you
    We love you, we love you, we love you
    We love you, we love you

• Options
    Ooooooh!!! love the Furs!! Here's a realistic love song by my friend's band, The Ben Miller Band:
    http://youtu.be/5_EZBVp9Gwk
    Enjoy!
  • Options
    Just a little plug here.. Cause I loooooooove these guys' music, if you liked that, check them
    Out in iTunes. They're building quite the catalog!!
  • Options

Just a little plug here.. Cause I loooooooove these guys' music, if you liked that, check them

whispering hands- first off- so cool that you're a Furs fan! I saw the Psychedelic Furs twice in the eighties and have written about those shows for a book I'm putting together that includes an on-the-street encounter of sorts with guitarist John Ashton and a funny story about Richard Butler in San Francisco.

That's a cool video you posted there! I'm not a big bluegrass/jug band fan but I am hugely impressed with the fact that these guys are a part of a small but growing group of musicians who are helping keep traditional forms of music like this alive and well. We have bluegrass musicians here in Placerville who do the same- in fact a friend of mine is off and on in a group that incorporates some of this in there music. So good job and very cool!

• Options
    brianlux said:

whispering hands- first off- so cool that you're a Furs fan! I saw the Psychedelic Furs twice in the eighties and have written about those shows for a book I'm putting together that includes an on-the-street encounter of sorts with guitarist John Ashton and a funny story about Richard Butler in San Francisco.

That's a cool video you posted there! I'm not a big bluegrass/jug band fan but I am hugely impressed with the fact that these guys are a part of a small but growing group of musicians who are helping keep traditional forms of music like this alive and well. We have bluegrass musicians here in Placerville who do the same- in fact a friend of mine is off and on in a group that incorporates some of this in there music. So good job and very cool!

Awesome! Yeah they have a pending patent on gloves that allow you to play the " electric washboard" and the " electric" spoons as well! I'll see if I can find a video of it..
  • Options
    http://youtu.be/dF4rGYPgr6c
    Ok here Ya go! The electric washboard played by Doug Dicharry
  • Options

http://youtu.be/dF4rGYPgr6c
    Ok here Ya go! The electric washboard played by Doug Dicharry

Excellent! Spoons and all!

What is that the guitar player has attached up high on the neck of his guitar? I can't make it out.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    It's a slide bar..it's to keep his band from over sliding frets while playing. By the way that guy IS Ben Miller. The guy in washtub bass is Scott Leper.
    Post edited by whispering hands on
  • Options

It's a slide bar..it's to keep his band from over sliding frets while playing. By the way that guy IS Ben Miller. The guy in washtub bass is Scott Leper.

Interesting.

Good luck to your friend's and their band!

• Options
    :D