Social Media

2»

Comments

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    edited November 2014
    know1 said:

rgambs said:

I keep Facebook out of vanity. Total unabashed vanity. My wife and I kayak, raft, fish, backpack, rock climb, hike, camp, and travel on a very regular basis. I don't know anyone else who gets out on adventures as much as we do, and when I didn't have Facebook I missed having a platform to show off the amazing things we do. I talk a big game and sometimes o get the feeling that people think I'm full of shit when i say we are going on a climbing trip in the Alps, kayaking the Adriatic, or backpacking 50 miles in the Blue Ridge mountains. I know most people don't really care, but I vainly need to prove that we are out living life to the fullest. Secondarily I hope we inspire people to get out more, but if I am honest it is more about showing off.

I appreciate your honesty, but what you described makes me sad for you.

I hyped the vanity a little too much, made it sound worse than it is.
    Don't feel sad for me, I LIVE MY LIFE WITH THE VOLUME FULL YEAH YEAH!
    In the year running between October 1 to this Oct 1 I saw Pearl Jam 6 times. I slept in a tent 28 nights. I logged somewhere over 70 wilderness miles. I visited 2 state parks in New York, 2 in New Hampshire, 2 in WV, 1 in Virginia, 1 in North Carolina, and 1 in Vermont. I visited Washington, Jefferson, Monongahela, Green Mountain, and White Mountain National Forests. I saw the sun rise somewhere beyond 40 times. There is no way to count the hours or number of times I was in my kayak as I go up to 4 times a week in peak season. I caught a 6 lb bass. I hiked or climbed in 9 mountain ranges. I kayaked on the Adriatic Sea, went to the Trieste show that night, and traversed a crazy scary ridgeline in the Austrian Alps 2 days later. 11 hours of rock climbing. I smoked 23 joints on a long weekend climbing trip atSeneca Rocks WV :). I climbed up and down 25,000+ feet of elevation. I ate exactly 6 handfuls of wild blueberries. I ate mushrooms 5 times (I'm done with that lol). I got my wife pregnant with our first :)
    I am sure I left some things out, and I don't count the daily hikes/jogs with my dogs in the woods in my hills where I live. Do I hope people are impressed? Yes I do. Does a person sleep on the ground for a months worth of nights for attention? Hahaha I doubt it!
    Post edited by rgambs on
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Great, just great.

gambs and his ego and actually DOING STUFF makes me feel like a lazy mofo.

[-(

Kaaaat!!!
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    Hahahaha!!
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

know1 said:

rgambs said:

I keep Facebook out of vanity. Total unabashed vanity. My wife and I kayak, raft, fish, backpack, rock climb, hike, camp, and travel on a very regular basis. I don't know anyone else who gets out on adventures as much as we do, and when I didn't have Facebook I missed having a platform to show off the amazing things we do. I talk a big game and sometimes o get the feeling that people think I'm full of shit when i say we are going on a climbing trip in the Alps, kayaking the Adriatic, or backpacking 50 miles in the Blue Ridge mountains. I know most people don't really care, but I vainly need to prove that we are out living life to the fullest. Secondarily I hope we inspire people to get out more, but if I am honest it is more about showing off.

Why would you think that? Gambs is really passionate about nature and wears it on his sleeve at all times.Nothing wrong with a little honest vanity.Im not on Facebook,but if I were,I could see checking out some of the photos Gambs puts up.Hell,just from what he described about his Euro trek for PJ shows it sounded awesome.
    Thanks for the vote of confidence! I definitely regret getting all pissy pants at you several times, once I started chillin in the lounge car my time on the train got decidedly more social and friendly.
  • Options
    hedonist said:

Great, just great.

gambs and his ego and actually DOING STUFF makes me feel like a lazy mofo.

[-(

Kaaaat!!!

Hahaha ssssshhh don't tell on me!
    I left off Venice, Vienna, sleeping in a 550 year old hotel, and about 10 bottles of Glenlivet ;). It was,by far, our best year yet. But on the other side, we don't eat out, watch TV, buy things or have a real internet connection ( no youtubing awesome PJ or Foo Fighters performances)
    Our adventures are going to be few and far between for a few years, our first baby is due in April and it won't have it's mountain legs under it for a bit lol
  • Options
    There's definitely an upside to social media. One time I posted a quote and mentioned I needed to renew my library card and out of nowhere my old English teacher/ family friend gave me her college books. The complete Norton Anthology of English Literature. I have spent hours upon hours in those books and read things I never thought I'd get to or be able to because she happened to see my quote from Milton at the right time.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,760
    To me the best thing about social media is making new connections and re-establishing old ones. Now to someone like my wife, it's pretty much just a way to keep an eye on what the kids are up to, LOL! (She will admit it and they know it, hahaha!)

It's also a good place to promote your work like I did with my book, especially when you are not an "A" type personality. (I'm a "D" an "C" type personality- Dazed and Confused. :-)) )
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Lol! I can definitely see how these avenues can be beneficial, I just feel it's not for me. I get too caught up.
  • Options
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1424200741200855&l=ad05b5c6e2

Facebook told me you can view this even if you don't have an account.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

Two things -

One...whatta photo! Looks like you're standing on solidified ash.

You would SO get along with my buddy/coworker, who has taken on some hikes and climbs that intimidate the hell out of me on so many levels.

And two...Levi? I love the name (and as someone who digs taking a word and making other words out of it, yours is rife with results).

• Options
    Tha
    rgambs said:

that is freaking AWESOME!! I can't wait til I'm in better shape! Pike'sPeak peak is goal one!!
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,314
    Facebook to me comes off as a braggers site all i see is people bragging about their kids , cats, dogs ,themselves their lattes or their pizza on & on & on ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Thanks guys! I prefer to twist Levi into live, as in, get the fuck out there and live!
    I'm not as in shape as my lifestyle might suggest lol. Just lucky to be young and naturally not carry much excess weight. I am sore as hell after all the big trips!
    Pike's Peak is beautiful! But you can drive to the top, so it isn't epic...no matter how hard you work to get there you will see grannies and out of shape soccer moms at the top lol. Maybe try Sneffels or Maroon Bells. The four pass loop in Maroon Bells-Snowmass Wilderness is a 26 mile hike that visits 4 passes over 12,000 ft, and is often in the mix when people try to pick the best hike in the world. If you get in serious shape shoot for Long's Peak, it's a nontechnical classic 14er that requires an above treeline bivvy and a 3am start. A rite of passage I hope to conquer someday!
  • Options
    Their

Facebook to me comes off as a braggers site all i see is people bragging about their kids , cats, dogs ,themselves their lattes or their pizza on & on & on ....

their Pot.. Oh that'd just Co., andWA.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

Whoa- that is SO cool! Where is that? Looks really high up!

I'm envious- I've done Pyramid Peak and Round Top here in CA- both around 10,000 ft.- and tried for White Mountain near the CA/ NV border but at 11,500 couldn't take the altitude (always have had a hard time over 10K). I probably could have made it if I'd spent a few days at 6 to 8K.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,886
    http://facecrooks.com/Internet-Safety-Privacy/Facebook-Conducted-Another-Psychological-Experiment-Users-During-2012-Election.html/

According to a report released by Mother Jones late last week, Facebook experimented with its user’s News Feeds during the 2012 election in an effort to get them to vote. The study moved news features higher in News Feeds during the election to see if more exposure to these events could encourage users to vote. Of course, this revelation comes on the heels of the disclosure of another study the site conducted on more than 700,000 without their knowledge in 2012. That research was focused on manipulating user emotions by controlling what they saw on their News Feeds.

Facebook has also introduced a tool on large election days that allows users to announce “I’m a Voter” or “I’m Voting” to their friends. The intended effect: to gently nudge or peer-pressure Facebook users into hitting up their local polling stations.

The results that Facebook has gathered from previous election are astounding. According to the Facebook research team, 20 percent of users who saw that their friends had voted also clicked on the “I Voted” button, while 18 percent of users who didn’t see their friends’ activity clicked on it. While that’s only a two percent difference, it’s a massive number when you consider the tens of millions of voters affected by the button.

While Facebook’s efforts to get people to vote are commendable, is it really their place to play such a major role in national politics? Though it’s unclear what Facebook is doing with the research or what it has planned for future political events, it’s obvious the site could play a major role in the future of this country’s electoral process.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    I wonder how many people who claimed to have voted actually did? It'd be interesting to see if that increase is in line with actual turnout.
  • Options
    brianlux said:

rgambs said:

Whoa- that is SO cool! Where is that? Looks really high up!

I'm envious- I've done Pyramid Peak and Round Top here in CA- both around 10,000 ft.- and tried for White Mountain near the CA/ NV border but at 11,500 couldn't take the altitude (always have had a hard time over 10K). I probably could have made it if I'd spent a few days at 6 to 8K.

It's in the Austrian Alps. The Nordkette Range, it stands above the city of Innsbruck like a vertical wall. The elevation was only 7,000! Ten minutes on the Nordkettenbahn and you are up in the clouds. That's what's great about the alps, they are so steep you get serious alpine terrain without the risk of HAPE or just run of the mill altitude intolerance. If you google "the golden roof" or "goldeness dachl" the ridge line traverse stands above it. It is the Innsbrucker Klettersteig, a 7 peak traverse on a crazy sharp knife edge ridge...definitely the climb of my life so far!
  • Options
    rgambs said:

Thanks guys! I prefer to twist Levi into live, as in, get the fuck out there and live!
    I'm not as in shape as my lifestyle might suggest lol. Just lucky to be young and naturally not carry much excess weight. I am sore as hell after all the big trips!
    Pike's Peak is beautiful! But you can drive to the top, so it isn't epic...no matter how hard you work to get there you will see grannies and out of shape soccer moms at the top lol. Maybe try Sneffels or Maroon Bells. The four pass loop in Maroon Bells-Snowmass Wilderness is a 26 mile hike that visits 4 passes over 12,000 ft, and is often in the mix when people try to pick the best hike in the world. If you get in serious shape shoot for Long's Peak, it's a nontechnical classic 14er that requires an above treeline bivvy and a 3am start. A rite of passage I hope to conquer someday!

I will look into that! The Bells are not too far from me! I'm in Co Springs, so Pike's is in my backyard and easily accessible is why it's goal one. The Bells is also on the list, I can't wait!
  • Options
    I envy you! I have family in Ft Collins and I have been all over the state, Black Canyon of the Gunnison, Mesa Verde, Glenwood Springs, Aspen, Monarch Pass, Vail, and Rocky Mtn Nat Park many times. You live in a blessed, wonderful place.
  • Options
    Yes I do!! I go horseback riding every year in Estes Park, and have done the ridge line trail twice up in Glenwood. I want to do the Hanging Lake run, but it's always so crowded when we go up there!
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    rgambs said:

rr165892 said:

know1 said:

rgambs said:

Why would you think that? Gambs is really passionate about nature and wears it on his sleeve at all times.Nothing wrong with a little honest vanity.Im not on Facebook,but if I were,I could see checking out some of the photos Gambs puts up.Hell,just from what he described about his Euro trek for PJ shows it sounded awesome.
    Thanks for the vote of confidence! I definitely regret getting all pissy pants at you several times, once I started chillin in the lounge car my time on the train got decidedly more social and friendly.
    Dude,that shit don't bother me it's all good.We all had to weed thru the shit to get to the real.Just Ask BB.A little hot button discussion is good for the soul.
    Nice pic on the mountain.I am a lil disappointed though,I was expecting a longer beard.lol
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    rgambs said:

I envy you! I have family in Ft Collins and I have been all over the state, Black Canyon of the Gunnison, Mesa Verde, Glenwood Springs, Aspen, Monarch Pass, Vail, and Rocky Mtn Nat Park many times. You live in a blessed, wonderful place.

Growing up my folks split when I was 10.My Dad lived in the Farmington/Durango metro area and I would spend 1/3 year with him.Hiking up by Purgatory,Wolf Creek and Navajo Dam.You can reach up and pluck a star from the sky they are so close.Everything smelled like Pinion wood at Christmas time.Awesome place.
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

rgambs said:

rr165892 said:

know1 said:

rgambs said:

Dude,that shit don't bother me it's all good.We all had to weed thru the shit to get to the real.Just Ask BB.A little hot button discussion is good for the soul.
    Nice pic on the mountain.I am a lil disappointed though,I was expecting a longer beard.lol
    Haha I thought you might feel that way! It was pretty shaggy before the trip and when I went about trimming the edges it got out of hand. I was kinda disappointed but it comes and goes, just about every time I go in for a trim I end up shorter than I intend.
  • Options
    Any body here ever check out the Pearl Jam fan page on Facebook?  Man, that place is a den of vipers.  Swear to got, talk about social media toxicity.  So much for the cool Pearl Jam vibe.  Jesus H...

• Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,664
    brianlux said:
    Any body here ever check out the Pearl Jam fan page on Facebook?  Man, that place is a den of vipers.  Swear to got, talk about social media toxicity.  So much for the cool Pearl Jam vibe.  Jesus H...
    I used to be in there fairly often and it wasn’t too bad, then it seemed to really go into the shitter in 2016 when Trump got nominated. I think the validation bigots and jerks received by it really manifested in people being openly hostile.