Options

Social Media

whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
Social Media has infested our lives with everything from telling the world you're taking a ten LB crap, to taking pictures of the process..
So, where do you stand on the line? For it? Against it? Don't care? Moderate user? Addicted? And why?

Personally I hate it. I did the whole FB thing, and am stuck with Twitter.. ( wish I'd have read that whole thing first!) but I eventually realized that it was taking over everything I did.. Had to post pics of where I'd just been, check in, I became consumed by the need to read and answer the ridiculous amount if notifications, and soon I was playing on my phone all day, while the world and life clamorous passed me by!
So I deleted my accounts with all but Twitter, cause I need a computer to delete it.. And now other than coming to this site, I don't mess with the stupid Social Media crap.. I feel we've become too dependent on it..
What do you guys think?

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2014
    P.S.i did a search and found nothing comparable to this subject, so if it is a repeat, I apologize.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,760
    Between FB and the few band sites I post on, and logging into LA Weekly lately I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed with social media yet I do get a lot out of all of the those avenues. I've never done twitter and don't know much about it but it seems redundant to me.

For me the whole thing is fascinating because I grew up in a time when correspondence consisted of post cards, post cards and letters sent via USPS, one big fat clunky rotary dial telephone in the house and knew of one neighbor who had a ham radio set. .... oh and tin cans and string, of course. :-)
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:

Between FB and the few band sites I post on, and logging into LA Weekly lately I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed with social media yet I do get a lot out of all of the those avenues. I've never done twitter and don't know much about it but it seems redundant to me.

For me the whole thing is fascinating because I grew up in a time when correspondence consisted of post cards, post cards and letters sent via USPS, one big fat clunky rotary dial telephone in the house and knew of one neighbor who had a ham radio set. .... oh and tin cans and string, of course. :-)

Same era here! And yes I found it fascinating at first, but I found I was digging too deep. I also discovered I am not well suited to live feeds. I get pissed off too easily, respond, piss everyone else off.. And so forth. Thanks for answering!
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    edited October 2014
    Same era as you two :D

I think it's almost a requirement of any business to be all over it; used to be word of mouth, now it's about yelping and liking and all that shit.

Personally, I've zero desire to participate in social media.

This place is the extent of it for me. I'd go nuts with so much to follow and respond to and on.

No wonder everyone driving out here always has their fucking head down because they're looking at their phone.
    Post edited by hedonist on
  • Options
    IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    I have twitter, I use it mainly for news stories/updates (etc).
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,385
    I think social media is very addictive. Kudos to you, whispering hand, for not only realizing you have a problem, but actually doing something about it.

As for me, I am on Facebook. I think I have 12 "friends". I use it mostly for bands/music stuff. I'm on Twitter, too. Again, mostly bands and a few comedians.

I'm of the same era as most here. If you wanted to talk to a friend and mom was on the one and only corded phone, you went over to their house and knocked on the door.
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    I guess all of us are old fuckers.I mean not ancient before electricity like Brian ,but Pre microwave oven /cable tv old.I have never been on Facebook,Instagram,My space or any other site like that.I keep in touch with family and friends just fine.I don't need my 11th grade girlfriend reaching out to me.
    I do love certain aspects of the internet.Quick info searches,sports and fantasy football stuff,Concert info,quick travel set ups, etc.I do like Twitter and the instant news updates,as well as posts from my favorite bands and I love the info I get from tweets from Science WTF,Most Wow Facts,Earth Pics,etc I actually learn something.So that's good.This site(Our little PJ village/community) is the only real internet spot I go to daily for "entertainment" if you will
  • Options
    riotgrlriotgrl LOUISVILLE Posts: 1,892
    I just deactivated my FB account. Couldn't stand the negativity and the fact that I was on it all the time. I occasionally check Twitter and here and Pinterest. My life is so much better without facebook!
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
  • Options
    riotgrl said:

I just deactivated my FB account. Couldn't stand the negativity and the fact that I was on it all the time. I occasionally check Twitter and here and Pinterest. My life is so much better without facebook!

Right??? I felt the same way after I deleted my FB account!
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

riotgrl said:

Be careful, it can suck you back in lol! When you are missing out on all the cute photos of your neices and nephews you want it back but then you slowly start adding the wrong folks back to your friends list lol
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:

riotgrl said:

Be careful, it can suck you back in lol! When you are missing out on all the cute photos of your neices and nephews you want it back but then you slowly start adding the wrong folks back to your friends list lol
    Nah.. I keep in touch with my family in other ways, like skype, and I spend weekends with my other niece and nephew.. So FB is really not necessary. :-)
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,760
    rr165892 said:

I guess all of us are old fuckers.I mean not ancient before electricity like Brian ,but Pre microwave oven /cable tv old.I have never been on Facebook,Instagram,My space or any other site like that.I keep in touch with family and friends just fine.I don't need my 11th grade girlfriend reaching out to me.
    I do love certain aspects of the internet.Quick info searches,sports and fantasy football stuff,Concert info,quick travel set ups, etc.I do like Twitter and the instant news updates,as well as posts from my favorite bands and I love the info I get from tweets from Science WTF,Most Wow Facts,Earth Pics,etc I actually learn something.So that's good.This site(Our little PJ village/community) is the only real internet spot I go to daily for "entertainment" if you will

I'm not pre-microwave, my friend. I'm precambrian. In other words I had spokes before cams.

Hey, it's been that kind of day. :))

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    social media is fine but it's up to each person using it to NOT post more info then they should...and men..all men DO NOT POST PICTURES OF YOUR FOOD ....and we don't care how much you love your GF (but if you feel the need to tell your GodFather you love him a expection can be made) cat-dog-horse...what ever, leave that shit for the girls.

Godfather.
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    I like twitter more than Facebook ... I have found it useful in obtaining info about upcoming concerts, news etc...I just ignore a lot of the other garbage that people post ... like i had for supper then picture .... hehehehehehe
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options

social media is fine but it's up to each person using it to NOT post more info then they should...and men..all men DO NOT POST PICTURES OF YOUR FOOD ....and we don't care how much you love your GF (but if you feel the need to tell your GodFather you love him a expection can be made) cat-dog-horse...what ever, leave that shit for the girls.

Godfather.

Oh, GF.

As I said to BB in another unrelated thread...Monday morning :D

(and the poetry you post in the other section? Redemption!)

• Options
    brianlux said:

rr165892 said:

I'm not pre-microwave, my friend. I'm precambrian. In other words I had spokes before cams.

Hey, it's been that kind of day. :))

Lol,Have a good Monday
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    hedonist said:

Godfather.

Oh, GF.

As I said to BB in another unrelated thread...Monday morning :D

(and the poetry you post in the other section? Redemption!)

I like you, I'll bet you have an awesome family and I wish you and your family all the best life has to offer.....and it's tuesday ! 3 days and it's FRIDAY !!!!

Godfather.

• Options
    Thank you, GF - consider it mutual. Cheers!
  • Options
    caifan82caifan82 Mexico City Posts: 321
    I used to be addicted to facebook specially, checking for updates every 5 minutes, posting stupid hollow stuff at least 3 times a day... and actually getting somehow "depressed" when no one liked or commented on my posts. Not "kill-myself-by-jumping-in-front-of-the-subway" depressed, but it did affect me negatively. Weird, I know, i can't quite explain why that happened to me.
    Also checking all these photos and check-ins of "friends" (people I hadn't seen since in decades, or ever) of their wonderful trips and new houses and cars and parties and friends had the same effect. Jealous? Maybe, I don't know.

Until one it hit me: why the hell am I subjecting myself to this? It isn't really making my life any better... and I bet some of those "perfect moment" photos are quite false and staged to hide some other trues.
    I didn't quit facebook, but I did stop following each and every one of my "friends" (except my wife). I no longer get any updates from anybody, and I stopped making any posts... and I'm way happier now. I still use it to follow bands, artists and news that interest me (I think it's a great tool for that, same for twitter), but that's it.

I'm no longer glued to my phone 24/7 and I'm glad for that... except when I'm at a gathering and realize everyone else is, lol.
    Mexico City - July 17th 2003
    Mexico City - July 18th 2003
    Mexico City - July 19th 2003
    Monterrey - December 7th 2005
    Mexico City - December 9th 2005
    Mexico City - December 10th 2005
    Mexico City - November 24th 2011
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,763
    I don't think a blanket term like "social media" really applies. Twitter is where I get my news and current events. There's really very little social to how I use it.

For Facebook, I'm only "friends" with people I know very closely or are related to. I don't "like" any company or page or are in any groups.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    I only use the term Social Media, because that is what it is called. And I think it is interesting the varying degrees which everyone uses these avenues.
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    I am not on Twitter or Facebook or instagram. This forum is the only way I interact with people from all over the world. Are these forums considered social media?
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,986
    edited November 2014
    I remove annoying facebook "friends" posts from my feed so that I just see family and friends that I care to see plus my news feed. I'm pretty happy with facebook now that I've done that but it still doesn't let me hide my comments, etc. from my feed. It used to have an option for that which was really nice because I don't like having my comments available for everyone to read.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    edited November 2014

I am not on Twitter or Facebook or instagram. This forum is the only way I interact with people from all over the world. Are these forums considered social media?

Social Media is currently defined as interaction via the internet with others that you would normally have no communication with, so yes. Chat rooms were the original " real time" Social Media and before that the BBS message formats... It then evolved into the avenues we use today..Twitter, Facebook etc. so in a variable aspect along that liquid definition, I'd say this Forum IS a form of Social Media to a degree.
    Post edited by whispering hands on
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I keep Facebook out of vanity. Total unabashed vanity. My wife and I kayak, raft, fish, backpack, rock climb, hike, camp, and travel on a very regular basis. I don't know anyone else who gets out on adventures as much as we do, and when I didn't have Facebook I missed having a platform to show off the amazing things we do. I talk a big game and sometimes o get the feeling that people think I'm full of shit when i say we are going on a climbing trip in the Alps, kayaking the Adriatic, or backpacking 50 miles in the Blue Ridge mountains. I know most people don't really care, but I vainly need to prove that we are out living life to the fullest. Secondarily I hope we inspire people to get out more, but if I am honest it is more about showing off.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:

I keep Facebook out of vanity. Total unabashed vanity. My wife and I kayak, raft, fish, backpack, rock climb, hike, camp, and travel on a very regular basis. I don't know anyone else who gets out on adventures as much as we do, and when I didn't have Facebook I missed having a platform to show off the amazing things we do. I talk a big game and sometimes o get the feeling that people think I'm full of shit when i say we are going on a climbing trip in the Alps, kayaking the Adriatic, or backpacking 50 miles in the Blue Ridge mountains. I know most people don't really care, but I vainly need to prove that we are out living life to the fullest. Secondarily I hope we inspire people to get out more, but if I am honest it is more about showing off.

Honesty is a beautiful thing!! Lol
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,385

Social Media is currently defined as interaction via the internet with others that you would normally have no communication with, so yes. Chat rooms were the original " real time" Social Media and before that the BBS message formats... It then evolved into the avenues we use today..Twitter, Facebook etc. so in a variable aspect along that liquid definition, I'd say this Forum IS a form of Social Media to a degree.
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,763
    rgambs said:

I appreciate your honesty, but what you described makes me sad for you.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    know1 said:

rgambs said:

I appreciate your honesty, but what you described makes me sad for you.
    Why would you think that? Gambs is really passionate about nature and wears it on his sleeve at all times.Nothing wrong with a little honest vanity.Im not on Facebook,but if I were,I could see checking out some of the photos Gambs puts up.Hell,just from what he described about his Euro trek for PJ shows it sounded awesome.
  • Options
    know1 said:

rgambs said:

I appreciate pyour honesty, but what you described makes me sad for you.
    Lmao! Meanwhile, what he said, made ME jealous!! Lol. I would love to have the freedom financially and otherwise to go do those things!! Vain exhibition or no.. At least he's up front and honest about where he's coming from. I guess I can live vicariously through Mr. gambs! lol except I just get to read about it here.. Cause FB sucks! ;-)