*** St. Paul Fanviews Here 10/19/14 ***

124»

Comments

• curlycurly Posts: 703
    Ishmael said:

I’m a little late writing this fanview, but I’ve been reading everyone’s take on the show and other shows too. This was my 8th time seeing Pearl Jam and it stands out as the best. I last saw them at Wrigley and that show was an adventure to say the least.

I got to the GA line around 4:30 and ultimately ended up 10 rows from the railing in front of Eddie. Props to the people who got there at 2:30 on Saturday to wait in line that long for the rail – I don’t know how you do it. Everyone in the GA line and in the arena were all very nice and respectful. At previous shows, it seemed like there was much more rowdiness and outward anticipation for the show to start. Maybe this being a Sunday people were a little more chilled out. That’s fine… it got crazy.

I’m going song-by-song from what I remember:

01. Pendulum – I guessed correctly that this would be the opener. Very atmospheric… I could smell the weed immediately. Seemed like we all knew the words which was cool.
    02. Release – an amazing surprise in this position. The entire arena sang incredibly loud.
    03. Nothingman – nice and mellow.
    04. Go – the pit went absolutely crazy during Go. Non-stop pogo and the band had crazy energy during this. Maybe the start of Vs front to back?
    05. Life Wasted –Nope. Maybe the start of Avodado front to back?
    06. Corduroy – Nope. Oh well. Awesome version of Corduroy. 1st time hearing it without Interstellar Overdrive to start.
    07. Lightning Bolt – such an amazing song. My favorite off of LB. Crazy energy in the pit.
    08. Mind Your Manners – awesome fist-pumps.
    09. Save You – a nice surprise. So much better live than studio version, in my opinion.
    10. Even Flow – 1st of the BIG hits for the average fan. No drum solo and overall seemed shorter than previous years, which is fine.
    11. Sirens – one of my least favorite PJ songs and my least favorite song of the night… sorry.
    12. Love Boat Captain (with intro)/Jumpin’ Jack Flash. I didn’t recognize JJF at all. LBC was awesome – again, better live for me.
    13. Daughter – recorded this on my phone per request from my 8 year old daughter.
    14. I Got ID – AMAZING. I love this song so much and it was a special treat.
    15. The Fixer – Ed looking down at his notes to get the lyrics correct… this has to be his most difficult song to remember. Good crown energy throughout.
    “MD Tour” – Ed was quite the comedian and very humble when the doctor was praising him. It got pretty mellow during all of this, but then first chords that came next were amazing:
    16. Unthought Known – probably in my top 5 favorite songs of all time from any artist. “Gems and Rhinestones” was screamed out by everyone!
    17. Given To Fly – I’m in the extreme minority, but I always skip this song. Was fine.
    18. Rearviewmirror – great energy… was concise (relative to previous versions I’ve seen) but still felt like a great ending to the 1st set.

Encore Break 1

19. Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town – Big Hit sing-along for the average fan.
    20. Thin Air – so awesome. First time hearing this live I think. Great version.
    21. Footsteps – my highlight of the night. I think this song got the biggest gasp when the opening chords played. Of all the more mellow songs, loudest crowd singing of the night.
    22. Imagine-pretty surreal to see the entire arena lit up by the cell phone flashlights. A very nice touch.
    23. Last Kiss- played to the back.
    24. Why Go – Seems to always get played in St. Paul. Love it.
    25. Do The Evolution – hate the studio version, but I was surprised how great it was live that night. I’ve heard it before live, but not as good as this.
    26. Porch – crazy crazy crazy wild.

Encore Break 2

27. Black- an all time favorite of everyone’s… big sing along. Not the best I’ve heard though. Can anything beat Atlanta 94?
    28. Setting Forth – great to see Ed joke about going Into the Wild with his new MN Wild hockey sweater
    29. Better Man/Save It For Later-again, big crowd sing along. Ed was trying to the crowd more into his responses for SIFL.
    30. Alive – Yes.
    31. Rockin' In The Free World-best version I’ve ever seen live
    32. Indifference – I hate that I always want Ledbetter to finish a show, because Indifference is such a beautiful song. I felt like Ed’s voice was pretty rough at this point, understandably.

All in all, best concert I’ve ever seen. I feel jealous of you lucky bastards in Moline and Milwaukee to get an album start-to-finish, but I now realize why this show was full of hits. The combination of the large EB contingent (MD, families, kids), Jill in the audience and Jeff’s family in the audience resulted in this rather pedestrian/amazing setlist (depending on who you talk to). I hate when I read fanviews or comments about certain crowds being lame. I think that can happen at every concert. In the pit it was absolutely energized, welcoming, fun and LOUD where I was. I looked up in the stands and could see certain rows sitting down. I make no excuses for that. People go to concerts for various reasons (free tickets, going with a friend or “I used to love PJ back in 93 so I want to hear those songs again). Not everyone knows the lyrics to every song and that’s okay.

Can’t wait to see them again.

Love your post Ishmael here.... and just read it after my most recent post of this show...
    Footsteps was also my highlight... but again,... a real amazing show here and thanks again for your comments...
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    bump. one year ago today. great show
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    pjhawks said:

bump. one year ago today. great show

was just thinking about this yesterday. facebook reminded me of a pic I took of my wife and I in our hotel before the show.

Footsteps. Imagine. Release. it was amazing.

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    edited October 2015
    Such a great weekend! Kinda wish it didn't end...
  • RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,622
    That was a fun weekend. Good times at the bar crawl, and even though it got lost in the Moline/Milwaukee shuffle it was a really good show. Except for what seemed like a 45 minute speech from the doctor mid set.
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

RS151862 said:

That was a fun weekend. Good times at the bar crawl, and even though it got lost in the Moline/Milwaukee shuffle it was a really good show. Except for what seemed like a 45 minute speech from the doctor mid set.

it really seemed to take some steam out of the show. I think it clocked in at about 18 minutes or so. it was so incredibly long. luckily the band and the crowd picked it up after that.

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,622
    edited October 2015
    It was long enough for my buddy to make a beer run and return to GA without missing a note.
    Post edited by RS151862 on
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

• ^^^^^^

exactly what I did!
    anyone have any pictures to share from the show? the ones I've seen are largely of Ed.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    For those St Paul attendees, the full blu ray is now posted. You can see details here: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/250045/st-paul-2014-full-show-multicamera-up-and-posted#latest
    now listening to this boot. loved this show. Footsteps and Release (two white whales of mine) were religious experiences for me. Loved it. And St. Paul is a beautiful city.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD