Options

FS Pearl Jam Limited Edition Pono Player ****SOLD*****

Comments

• Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    I think everyone agrees that they are a collectors item and will retain value in that sense, but I continue to wonder if they will retain value as a DAC for Hi-rez audio. Still not sure...its such a small niche. I will probably wait till they go way down in price to give Pono a shot.
  • Options

Wow.

If someone was to offer me $750 for my PONO player... I'd be willing to sell it.

Agreed
  • Options
    sheckyshecky San Francisco Posts: 1,440
    This is going to be fun to watch over the next couple of months.
    No doubt, a lot of these PJ PONO players were bought on speculation.
    I think that once the secondary market has been satisfied a lot of sellers are going to be happy to get their initial $400. investment back plus a $100. profit.
    Like, maybe around late December when it's time to Christmas shop for the family and an extra $500. in the wallet sounds really good.
  • Options
    Horse2345Horse2345 Posts: 3,227
    I mean really, you could wait till they have perfected them, buy one and take it to a shop and get Pearl Jam engraved on it.
    UBC 92, Vancouver 93, Vancouver 98, Seattle 02, Vancouver 03, Vancouver 05, Gorge 06, Gorge 06,Seattle 09,Seattle 09, Vancouver09, Montreal 11, Toronto 11,Toronto 11, Vancouver 11,Vancouver 13, Seattle 13
  • Options
    scurtisscurtis Posts: 2,427
    I think Pono is going to be too much of a niche market and probably not do great overall. They will service a small segment of the market and that will be it.

But that's the regular Pono's.

These PJ ones and the others were all designed to be collectors items, that's why they only did a maximum of 500 for each artist and have such cool packaging for them.

I think those who got one at $400 is a steal as a collectors item. To use it, probably twice the price it should be or will be.

The Neil Young Pono's are selling for a grand on ebay right now, I wouldn't be surprised if initially the PJ ones go for that. They will come down, but once no one is selling anymore, i.e., all the people who bought them to flip are done flipping, it will be interesting to see how collectible they are.

Could be like the 1990-1992 Ten Box Set Sampler. You might only see one come up for sale every couple of years.
    "Born on third, thinks he got a triple."
  • Options
    scurtis said:

I think Pono is going to be too much of a niche market and probably not do great overall. They will service a small segment of the market and that will be it.

These PJ ones and the others were all designed to be collectors items, that's why they only did a maximum of 500 for each artist and have such cool packaging for them.

I think those who got one at $400 is a steal as a collectors item. To use it, probably twice the price it should be or will be.

The Neil Young Pono's are selling for a grand on ebay right now, I wouldn't be surprised if initially the PJ ones go for that. They will come down, but once no one is selling anymore, i.e., all the people who bought them to flip are done flipping, it will be interesting to see how collectible they are.

Could be like the 1990-1992 Ten Box Set Sampler. You might only see one come up for sale every couple of years.

The last one on Ebay was up for a week with buy it now of $899 and he offered it to me for $675 shipping included.
    UBC 92, Vancouver 93, Vancouver 98, Seattle 02, Vancouver 03, Vancouver 05, Gorge 06, Gorge 06,Seattle 09,Seattle 09, Vancouver09, Montreal 11, Toronto 11,Toronto 11, Vancouver 11,Vancouver 13, Seattle 13
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    scurtis said:

To use a quote from a review:
    "The audience is a niche (people who pay for music) within a niche (people who want digital music) within a niche (people who care about the sound quality), so it’s not going to be for the mass market. "

I am only interested in the music part of it, don't care a thing about the engraved limited edition. I just want a good Hi-rez DAC for listening.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    Is it worth an opened, spun Benaroya Hall vinyl set? Thoughts?
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    MedozK said:

scurtis said:

To use a quote from a review:
    "The audience is a niche (people who pay for music) within a niche (people who want digital music) within a niche (people who care about the sound quality), so it’s not going to be for the mass market. "

I am only interested in the music part of it, don't care a thing about the engraved limited edition. I just want a good Hi-rez DAC for listening.
    Not saying you want the collectors one. Just saying these original ones were designed to be collectors pieces. Those who could care less about that are better served buying them later once the bugs get tweaked and the prices come down.
    Post edited by scurtis on
  • Options
    Horse2345 said:

scurtis said:

The last one on Ebay was up for a week with buy it now of $899 and he offered it to me for $675 shipping included.
    I'm not going to compete with you quoting different listings, it's futile for both of us and in the end both small sample sizes so it means nothing.

My point is these original ones were designed for collectors and once they're all in the hands of collectors who knows where the price will be. Could be low like the PJ iPod, or could be high like the ten box set sampler.
  • Options
    scurtis said:

Horse2345 said:

scurtis said:

I'm not going to compete with you quoting different listings, it's futile for both of us and in the end both small sample sizes so it means nothing.

My point is these original ones were designed for collectors and once they're all in the hands of collectors who knows where the price will be. Could be low like the PJ iPod, or could be high like the ten box set sampler.
    Wait, there was a PJ iPod?
  • Options

scurtis said:

Horse2345 said:

scurtis said:

Wait, there was a PJ iPod?
    I think so, it's a Nano.
  • Options

I would trade one (if I had it) for a Benny, not the other way around. I think of PONO like mini discs...
    Horse2345 said:

scurtis said:

Please tell me that you took it for that price?

• Options

I would trade one (if I had it) for a Benny, not the other way around. I think of PONO like mini discs...
    Horse2345 said:

scurtis said:

Please tell me that you took it for that price?

I did think about it but in the end passed. I just don't see the value. Maybe when i hear one i'll change my mind but i just don't see paying $20 an album and $700 for the player. Maybe when all the kinks get worked out. I mean i can just buy it then and have Pearl Jam engraved on it. Lol

• Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,810
    The first iPod blew compared to the future ones... just sayin.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

• Options

I still have one! It broke fairly quickly, but kept it.
  • Options
    scurtis said:

Fun fact: If you would have taken that $400 that you spent on that first iPod and bought Apple stock instead, it would be worth $32,843 as of today.
  • Options
    doctorvikdoctorvik granger, IN Posts: 123

scurtis said:

Fun fact: If you would have taken that $400 that you spent on that first iPod and bought Apple stock instead, it would be worth $32,843 as of today.
    ... and you could buy a hockey jersey or a moline poster with that ...
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,420
    And if you sold that apple stock for a profit Horse would call you a flipper.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options

scurtis said:

haha good call. It was a gift from my parents. I think i was 16 or something at the time, not really thinking of buying stock back then.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Nope, posted the definition of flipping for you earlier.
    Post edited by Horse2345 on
  • Options
    Lol, look at that already down to $660 .
  • Options
    Horse sucks. He knows it. Why he's always trolling online forums....
    IT'S EVOLUTION BABY!!!!!
  • Options
    juddboz80juddboz80 Posts: 2,141

No way.....no way I'd trade a Benny for one!
    Cant buy what i want cause its free....
  • Options
    juddboz80juddboz80 Posts: 2,141
    juddboz80 said:

No way.....no way I'd trade a Benny for one!
    Be different story if the pj pono came with every pj studio album and every show they've ever performed already on it....then it could be! :)
    Cant buy what i want cause its free....
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,189
    be a different story if the signatures weren't fake =))

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options

Horse sucks. He knows it. Why he's always trolling online forums....

Lol, awwwe someones mad they can't flip theres for what they wanted to.

• Options
    ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668
    doctorvik said:
    :-O

Quite frankly if that one sells, I say BRAVO to the seller. I mean if anyone here hints they wouldn't let go of theirs for 5k they are either lying or they have rocks in their head!
  • Options