2015 Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame Nominations

13»

Comments

• my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    This is not a comment on who should make the HOF, this is just a comment from someone that still loves the Golden Era of Hip Hop...

Gangstarr > NWA

RIP Guru
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,040
    juddboz80 wrote: »
    Green day's dookie was an awesome album in 94' and I was a fan until 99' or 00' , seemed like they turned into clowns and are a pop band now! <br />
    I don't get that they are up and no soundgarden.....doesent make sense!

Green Day had some pretty solid records in the 90's - I don't recall when kerplunk came out, but Dookie and insomniac were part of the soundtrack to my youth. They put on a great show back then too......they have gone shit since American idiot, but that's hardly a new phenonemen - we can look at plenty of bands guilty of going wrong along the way - I mean could we possibly believe the Chilis are the same band that made BSSM
  • kce8kce8 Posts: 1,636
    pdalowsky wrote: »
    juddboz80 wrote: »
    Green day's dookie was an awesome album in 94' and I was a fan until 99' or 00' , seemed like they turned into clowns and are a pop band now! <br />
    I don't get that they are up and no soundgarden.....doesent make sense!

Green Day had some pretty solid records in the 90's - I don't recall when kerplunk came out, but Dookie and insomniac were part of the soundtrack to my youth. They put on a great show back then too......they have gone shit since American idiot, but that's hardly a new phenonemen - we can look at plenty of bands guilty of going wrong along the way - I mean could we possibly believe the Chilis are the same band that made BSSM

Well I think that´s the same as some people say about Pearl Jam. I mean they all grow and change and so their music did. I really cannot remember exactly if I first heard of PJ or Green Day (I mean it was PJ) but I know GD were public before PJ. And I can remember that GD was dissed as a punk band getting commercial (!) then. American Idiot was also my last rec. but bc I think my interests has changed.
    So even if I´m not in their music today I think they just changed and I don´t care and for me it´s ok that they got into HOF.
    PJ deserves to get into it for sure and get the respect for what they did and stand for, so I hope they will be honored in 2017!
    Buuut can anyone say you can be fairminded as a fan? There will never be a fair contest or nomination because it´s based on personal opinions in music or art! So we will see...
    :)>-
  • rummyrummy Posts: 4,436
    edited December 2014
    I think up until recently, I considered myself a fan of Pearl Jam but not the huge one I am now. Keeping my initial point in mind, I have always thought that PJ epitomized what R&R is (or should be) all about - even if/when their mass popularity waned in the late-1990's/early 2000's.

If they don't get it on the first ballot they should close that building down - or blow it up.
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,572
    badbrains wrote: »
    If the Replacements aren't in then this thing is a fake.<br />
    <br />
    Ok, all I keep hearing from people is replacements this replacements that. Where the fuck do I start? I have to give these guys a listen.

Being a long-time fan myself, I agree 100% with the 'Mats fans here bb. Best place to start IMHO is their classic LP "Let it Be" closely followed by "Tim". Then check out their early rowdy stuff - "Sorry Ma, Forgot to Take Out the Trash", "Stink" and "Hootenanny". "Pleased to Me Me" is classic. The band has often been criticized for "selling out" and "over-producing" on "Don't Tell a Soul" but I'm a fan of that one too and the last one, "All Shook Down" is basically a Westerberg solo album with some great songs on it.

What do you other 'Mats fan think- start with "Let it Be"?

Sorry to hear Green Day getting some bashing on this thread. Billie Joe Armstrong got some bashing as well on the Westerberg fan site (Man Without Ties) when he joined the Replacements for a few gigs this last summer, but I thought it was cool. B.J.A. made a point of just showing up to support the band without any announcement or spotlight put on him at all. Not a word was mentioned and many people didn't even realize who he was at first- he just did it and they had a great time.

So for me 'Mats, Green Day in the RRHOF- you bet!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,554
    rummy wrote: »
    igotid88 wrote: »
    It is weird seeing Green Day go in. I think most of us who were old enough heard about them after PJ. And to see them go in before.
    Good point.
    I heard PJ for the first time in late-1991 (or maybe early-1992). I hadn't heard any Green Day until the spring of 1994!

There's a reason for that. Have you heard any of their "music" before dookie? It's almost unlistenable.

Its fine to say that Dookie made them as a band, but They easily have a dozen songs that are as good (or were actually re-recorded for) or better than Dookie tracks.

Not unlistenable, just more punk than pop punk.

• WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe Posts: 4,957
    edited December 2014
    I like Green Day a lot. They have a simple formula and do it well. With any band over time, the really solid songs are less prevalent on their newer stuff. I liked more than half of their last few records and that's pretty good for as long as they've been around. I always assumed they were all about the youth and that young energy. They changed it up a little to reach a younger generation. I don't have a problem with that. They were always punk/pop in my opinion. I dig it. To each his own.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,870
    I don't find Green Day's induction surprising at all. I'm not a big fan or anything, but they really contributed to the history of music IMO. They were very unique back in the day.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • rummy wrote: »
    It is weird seeing Green Day go in. I think most of us who were old enough heard about them after PJ. And to see them go in before.
    Good point.
    I heard PJ for the first time in late-1991 (or maybe early-1992). I hadn't heard any Green Day until the spring of 1994!

There's a reason for that. Have you heard any of their "music" before dookie? It's almost unlistenable.

Its fine to say that Dookie made them as a band, but They easily have a dozen songs that are as good (or were actually re-recorded for) or better than Dookie tracks.

Unlistenable may be harsh. I didn't like it at all. I definitely think they should be in the HoF. Dookie was a great album. And I've like a lot of what they've done over the years including American Idiot.
  • I will say this, Green day was part of a movement and had some good music . California was cranking out bands at that time. Offspring, Rancid, Blink 182, Social D and Bad Religion finally got some recognition, Sublime, Save Ferris, No Doubt, Face to Face, AFI and even Beck all came out of this. Green Day had a hand in getting other bands getting noticed.

That's pretty good company. Pop punk or not they have their place in time.
    When I think of Green Day, I also think of Weezer.

There's one I forgot!

• deadendpdeadendp Posts: 10,434
    I won't tell you what I think of when I think of Green Day.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1

Weezer had 2 good songs. Hash pipe and the song where the video is like happy days.
  • badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    Say what u will of green day and being in the hall. Some of their music was good. They went from bubble gum punk rock to making concept albums. Here's a 10 min song that I like. It's sort of edited for tv but u can see they know how to perform. I'm not a huge fan but they're not terrible. BUT, NIN 10000% deserve the hall. No fucken doubt!

http://youtu.be/7QAwpaLItIE
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,706
    Speaking of No Doubt. They'll probably get in before NIN
    I miss igotid88

Weezer had 2 good songs. Hash pipe and the song where the video is like happy days.

My name is Jonas, No one else, The world has turned and left me here. Listen to those first 3 songs off the blue album. That album is a masterpiece.

You didn't like Pork and Beans or troublemaker either?
    Weezer's first two albums were great. After that, you might be able to grab a good song or two from each album. but that was about it - for me anyway.

And The sweater song
    I miss igotid88
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,572
    The Replacements! (sorry, had to do it)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_358OhIRqo

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• SJHalpSJHalp Posts: 37
    edited December 2014
    Mother love bone will never get in- not enough material and sure as hell didn't break any new ground. Pearl Jam will be a shoe-in in 2016.. It's all politics. Deep Purple still isn't in. C'mon, but grandmaster flash IS? They should have a rap hall of fame or change the name from rock and roll hall of fame to music hall of fame, even though I don't consider rap/hip-hop to be music. Idk what I would call it but I am a fan of some of it
    Post edited by SJHalp on
  • Do bands/artists have to pay for their spot like actors do on the Hollywood walk of fame?
  • derbydavederbydave Posts: 11,254
    Do bands/artists have to pay for their spot like actors do on the Hollywood walk of fame?

I wouldn't think so...
    the ACTUAL Hall Of Fame is lighted signatures on a wall,
    no "REAL ESTATE" to be charged for!
    That doesn't mean there isn't some kind of fee to be INDUCTED...
    never heard exactly how the process works!!
    Good question!!
    :-bd
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

Do bands/artists have to pay for their spot like actors do on the Hollywood walk of fame?

If that was the case Kiss would've been in a long time ago
    I miss igotid88
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,040
    Good point.

yep, kerplunk has some solid stuff on it. Just wasn't big label polished. Seeing that stuff live back then was awesome though