Options

2015 Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame Nominations

Comments

• Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    badbrains said:

If the Replacements aren't in then this thing is a fake.

Ok, all I keep hearing from people is replacements this replacements that. Where the fuck do I start? I have to give these guys a listen.
    Don't bother, they're horrible.
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    badbrains said:

If the Replacements aren't in then this thing is a fake.

Ok, all I keep hearing from people is replacements this replacements that. Where the fuck do I start? I have to give these guys a listen.
    LOL. YouTube the following tunes my man : Unsatisfied, Left of the Dial, Can't Hardly Wait (slow or fast version), I Will Dare,

Just great rock n roll. Could've been a Top 40 crossover alternative band but they sabotaged every chance. Great story to that band. Worth a listen
  • Options
    darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,478

Tom Petty isn't in? Also Garth Brooks seems like an obvious choice. I'm not a huge country fan, and I know it isn't Rock and Roll, but the guy has sold 190,000,000 records (albums, singles, and video), and has six albums that have been certified diamond (10x platinum). That doesn't happen by accident.

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers have already been inducted. Tom Petty's solo career is now eligible as Full Moon Fever came out in 1989.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    No Dead Milkmen??? WTF?
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,955
    Let It Be
  • Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435
    If we're saying Dead Milkmen surely we have to say Weird Al.

The Tom Petty thing is hilarious to me. I hope he is never considered to take up a space as a "solo artist" because Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers IS Tom Fucking Petty. Same thing. Just because he releases some albums as "Tom Petty" with a different backing band, that would be insane if he is inducted TWICE. It's not like John Lennon/The Beatles or anything like that... Tom Petty is Tom Petty. The Heartbreakers is his band. They're all in. The end.

Anyway, just goes to show that if Jann Wenner likes Green Day, then Green Day will get in first try. I don't know why Green Day has been featured prominently in past Hall of Fame shindigs and all that... inducting GnR and performing and stuff. Other than they are a pet band by the Hall of Fame's In-charges.

Good to see SRV make it. Maybe Mike can induct him.
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,181
    edited December 2014
    What if Tom Petty's band wasn't called Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers but just the heartbreakers. Later on Tom Petty releases a solo album. Isn't that a different entity?

When you take the band name out of it, it would be like Sting getting inducted twice. Once for the Police and once for his solo work. If it was called Sting and the Police then he can't? :)

i should note my favorite Petty album is wildflowers which isn't a heartbreakers album (even though some heartbreakers play on the odd song). I think he should get awarded for that album alone.

Btw I have much lesser issues with artists being inducted a 2nd time for solo projects, than I do with non-rock bands being inducted. It's not the music hall of fame, it's the rock n' roll hall of fame. I'm not sure why they induct hip hop, country and other artists. I suppose 5 years from now after all the seattle bands have been inducted, that the pickings will be slim. I suppose this gives them a way to keep the tradition going.
    Post edited by Zod on
  • Options
    jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775
    MT132914 said:

I guess fan votes don't count for much

Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble 31.04% (18331552 votes)
    Nine Inch Nails 22.20% (13114454 votes)
    Joan Jett & the Blackhearts 15.08% (8907063 votes)
    Bill Withers 6.49% (3830589 votes)
    The Paul Butterfield Blues Band 6.25% (3692968 votes)
    Lou Reed 5.28% (3121380 votes)
    War 2.67% (1575412 votes)
    Green Day 2.59% (1527138 votes)
    Sting 1.75% (1034510 votes)
    N.W.A 1.29% (761395 votes)
    Kraftwerk 1.15% (682002 votes)
    The Smiths 1.12% (662229 votes)
    The Spinners 1.12% (661758 votes)
    The Marvelettes 0.98% (580523 votes)
    Chic 0.98% (578506 votes)
    - See more at: http://rockhall.com/voting/2015-rock-hall-nominees-fan-vote/#sthash.6xAoJ3MC.dpuf

They don't unfortunately. Whomever the fans vote for ultimately counts as 1 overall vote.
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,411
    I never thought Green Day would get in before Bon Jovi, Tom Petty, or Sting.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 said:

Just like High Fidelity said too "If Jann Wenner likes them". There's probably a bias as to why Ted Nugent isn't in. Well I guess you could argue his career too, but I thought he was big?
  • Options

igotid88 said:

Just like High Fidelity said too "If Jann Wenner likes them". There's probably a bias as to why Ted Nugent isn't in. Well I guess you could argue his career too, but I thought he was big?
    Without Google, can you name 2 Ted Nugent songs other than cat scratch fever?
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,869
    the hall of fame became a joke the second they got away from ROCK AND ROLL. If you are a music hall of fame call yourself that.
    SRV not in = JOKE
  • Options
    Joe118Joe118 Posts: 67

igotid88 said:

Stranglehold? Come on man
  • Options

igotid88 said:

I can't name half the bands songs that are in the RRHF. Example: Little Richard. He was HUGE back in the day. I know Tuti Fruiti. That's it and also he was the genie in the Air Jordan commercials. What the hell else did he sing?

So to go back to it, I'm sure Wenner has a soft spot for Nugent. :-)

• Options
    Peyton18 said:

I didn't even know Green Day had been around that long! I couldn't believe it when I saw their name

Ditto.
  • Options
    TheGhostTheGhost Posts: 534
    I never thought Green Day would get in before Bon Jovi, Tom Petty, or Sting.<br />
    <br />
    Just like High Fidelity said too "If Jann Wenner likes them". There's probably a bias as to why Ted Nugent isn't in. Well I guess you could argue his career too, but I thought he was big?<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Without Google, can you name 2 Ted Nugent songs other than cat scratch fever? <br />
    <br />
    I can't name half the bands songs that are in the RRHF. Example: Little Richard. He was HUGE back in the day. I know Tuti Fruiti. That's it and also he was the genie in the Air Jordan commercials. What the hell else did he sing?<br />
    <br />
    So to go back to it, I'm sure Wenner has a soft spot for Nugent. :-)

*shock* Little Richard IS rock and roll!!!!!!!!!!
    Your light made us stars
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    ^^ TMS refers to it as the "Rock and Roll Hall of Shame."
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    Now I'm thinking PJ might not make it in first ballot.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    Rock started from Blues music originally which lead to may forms of music. The true definition of rock and roll (per dictionary.com) is a style of popular music that derives in part from blues and folk music and is marked by a heavily accented beat and a simple, repetitive phrase structure. Rap qualifies as well as Country in the true since of the definition. If you discount groups like NWA who started a new genre as big as Grunge you are doing music as a whole a disservice. They just took a different view of things based on their experiences but were equally important as say Nirvana in the larger scheme of music. They were how most of us were able to somewhat experience what they went through growing up in the area they were born to. It shocked us all yes but they were a glimpse on what it was like growing up in Compton during the height of the gang era.They are just as important to to music as as many other inducted Bands/Groups and should be inducted.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    badbrains wrote: »
    If the Replacements aren't in then this thing is a fake.<br />
    <br />

Tim

• Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,353
    igotid88 wrote: »
    Read this article...
    http://grantland.com/features/projecting-the-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-coldplay-adele-radiohead-pearl-jam/
    ...and you'll feel better.
  • Options
    SP96445SP96445 Posts: 214
    Stranglehold? Come on man[/quote]

All time great R&R song! motor city madhouse not too shabby either

• Options
    What the hell is wrong with the quote function?
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,955
    rummy wrote: »
    Read this article...
    http://grantland.com/features/projecting-the-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-coldplay-adele-radiohead-pearl-jam/
    ...and you'll feel better.

Good article. I think DMB has a better shot than he is giving them credit for. But Steve makes a good point, they are running out of sure in rock acts. It makes you begin to understand why they branch out to pop and hip hop acts. I think the HOF needs to change their designation in the next 5 years or so, be prepared to stop inducting artists in about a decade or so.

• Options
    It is weird seeing Green Day go in. I think most of us who were old enough heard about them after PJ. And to see them go in before.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,353
    edited December 2014
    It is weird seeing Green Day go in. I think most of us who were old enough heard about them after PJ. And to see them go in before.
    Good point.
    I heard PJ for the first time in late-1991 (or maybe early-1992). I hadn't heard any Green Day until the spring of 1994!
  • Options
    Good point.
    I heard PJ for the first time in late-1991 (or maybe early-1992). I hadn't heard any Green Day until the spring of 1994!

There's a reason for that. Have you heard any of their "music" before dookie? It's almost unlistenable.
  • Options
    Good point.

There's a reason for that. Have you heard any of their "music" before dookie? It's almost unlistenable.

I went to a green day concert in 1992. As the opening band was playing I was wondering why there was some kids skateboarding behind the black curtain. When the opening band was done they got off their skateboards and went onto the stage to perform.

• Options
    And they're younger than our guys as well.
    I miss igotid88