Are unions outdated? Is striking really effective in our current society?

13»

Comments

• oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    i_lov_it said:

You could also say Unions are the last line of Democracy.

Well, you could, but would it be accurate?

In what way are unions holding the line of democracy?
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • audome25audome25 Posts: 163
    I've been in three unions, I'm curious how many people are pro union before the age of 35 and then after. When you are young and work hard, a union seems like a bunch of old guys blocking you. When you're older it's a great way to do alot less work for good money. The Boeing guys would plan their strike vacations months ahead of time knowing they could leave for a month a get their bonus after. Unions were great at getting Saturdays and Sundays off 100 years ago off (except now guys slack on weekdays do come in for double time on weekends) but otherwise it's organized extortion. If you have a skill you'll get paid. Never fails.
  • audome25audome25 Posts: 163
    i_lov_it said:

How? A few tell the many what to do, and then control the info to sway them?

Oh yeah, you're right.
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007

i_lov_it said:

Well, you could, but would it be accurate?

In what way are unions holding the line of democracy?
    Well think about it...Corporations and Employers could do whatever they want and you wouldn't have a leg to stand on they would be like dictators complain about anything and see you later and just get somebody else in...Unions keep them in check...Say goodbye to Unions and you say goodbye to Democracy.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    audome25 said:

I've been in three unions, I'm curious how many people are pro union before the age of 35 and then after. When you are young and work hard, a union seems like a bunch of old guys blocking you. When you're older it's a great way to do alot less work for good money. The Boeing guys would plan their strike vacations months ahead of time knowing they could leave for a month a get their bonus after. Unions were great at getting Saturdays and Sundays off 100 years ago off (except now guys slack on weekdays do come in for double time on weekends) but otherwise it's organized extortion. If you have a skill you'll get paid. Never fails.

Except it did fail. It failed the skilled workers in this country near the turn of the last century, and it fails the skilled workers in the third world who get paid 25 cents an hour.
    And what about unskilled labor? It will always be needed. Are you telling me that a person who sweats and blisters for a living don't deserve to make a livable wage?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    If unions are organized extortion then what fancy hyperbolic name should I give corporations who slash wages while their profits soar?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    rgambs said:

If unions are organized extortion then what fancy hyperbolic name should I give corporations who slash wages while their profits soar?

Well for one ... with the exception of a few corporations in a few industries people have a choice not to support those particular corporations, but in most places (there are exceptions) in Canada or the US people are forced to pay dues even if the union sucks and you have no say in which union you belong to and if your union sucks its damn near impossible for the membership to switch unions. Most unions will not help membership from bad unions switch to a better union (union raiding is frowned upon), so basically unions offer with very little accountability, they enjoy legislation that forces people to pay dues ... even if they suck, and they are free operate without the fear of membership dumping them for potentially a better union.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • In the early days of US coal mining unions were born to protect the workers due to the fact they were not be given proper safety equipment (dying from "black lung"), being forced to work well over 40 hrs a week w/no overtime pay (SINCE IT DIDN'T EXIST) and forced to shop at the companies privately owned grocery stories with tokens they were paid in which were not US currency. You can still find these tokens with metal detectors around old mining sites.

The majority of people I have met that do not like Unions were typically business owners who didn't pay very well (or at least not up to industry standards), barely offered any kind of health or retirement plans..if any...yet they were rich themselves not to mention they had high turn over rates of employees (go figure). When some one is doing so well they can buy a million dollar home (in a matter of 10-20 years) yet none of the original employees remain something is fishy. Why are things so good for the owner yet no one stuck around to enjoy the same fruits of their labor because remember the employees are who keep the wheels turning.

Some argue "Oh, Unions? Psstt you have to pay dues." That may be true but if the industry standard for your trade is $30 and the union pays you $55 but you have to pay $15 in dues but you also have a great health care package and a 401K it's still worth it. Not to mention your in a brotherhood of like minded people that watch out for each other rather than trying to nickle and dime you while working you to the bone. Unions give people a platform to stick up for themselves as a whole from when its not otherwise possible. They may not be perfect but they are the responsible for more advancements towards workers rights than any other single thing. In the early days they saved many lives.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,890

As bad as the BCTF were, in fairness... the government (led by a dingbat) was worse. They are more than culpable for what happened given their willful ignorance.

Among countless grievous offences... when a government ignores the courts of our lands and shreds legally binding agreements to make ones they prefer... that's a problem.

Agreed.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata