Are unions outdated? Is striking really effective in our current society?

Comments

• lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

Unions used to be useful ... now they are no better than the government, "they leach off the productivity of others". Both my wife and I belong to a union, both unions suck and are really good at spending money that is not theirs ... just like the government.

Oh ... and their really good at keeping lazy people employed ... sure the have a process in place to remove those people ... but here in Ontario it is well know if a grievance ends up in arbitration they generally side with the union and most employers will not spend the $$$ to go that far just to lose.

You should separate unions from shitty unions in your thinking.
    I support good unions, not bad ones. The bad ones lend heavily to this kind of prejudiced anti-union thinking/union bashing.
    There all the fucking same, Ive talked to members of of other union and they have the same complaints.

In my opinion in order to fix the the problem several things need to change ...

-here in Ontario the arbitration process needs to be overhauled so its balanced

-there needs to be a system in place that if members have complaints against their union there is a process to follow so these complaints are heard and if legitimate action is taken against the union

there also needs to be a process in place that absolutely rewards the good employees and denies the bad employees advancement within the organization ...
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,890
    lukin2006 said:

PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

Unions used to be useful ... now they are no better than the government, "they leach off the productivity of others". Both my wife and I belong to a union, both unions suck and are really good at spending money that is not theirs ... just like the government.

Oh ... and their really good at keeping lazy people employed ... sure the have a process in place to remove those people ... but here in Ontario it is well know if a grievance ends up in arbitration they generally side with the union and most employers will not spend the $$$ to go that far just to lose.

You should separate unions from shitty unions in your thinking.
    I support good unions, not bad ones. The bad ones lend heavily to this kind of prejudiced anti-union thinking/union bashing.
    There all the fucking same, Ive talked to members of of other union and they have the same complaints.

In my opinion in order to fix the the problem several things need to change ...

-here in Ontario the arbitration process needs to be overhauled so its balanced

-there needs to be a system in place that if members have complaints against their union there is a process to follow so these complaints are heard and if legitimate action is taken against the union

there also needs to be a process in place that absolutely rewards the good employees and denies the bad employees advancement within the organization ...
    But they are NOT all the same. You're hearing it from me - I don't have these complaints about my own union, and I am very tuned in to what's going on among our members.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Construction trade unions are necessary. Although their shenanigans are child like and drive me nuts. But they provide a trained workforce, and for that I'm thankful.
    If unions are so great why do they need legislation to get union dues? if their so effective then people should want to join and voluntarily pay dues. People voluntarily join organizations all the time and pay for the priviledge ... we pay to be members here, some pay to be members of the legion ... all voluntary of course. Except Unions ... hmmm ... I think they are like the government and leach off the productivity of others.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007
    PJ_Soul said:

Unions are what keep the private sector in check IMO. They help to set an external standard. I don't think most people give unions the credit they deserve because their greatest effect isn't direct. If it weren't for unions, wages and rights in the private sector would be way worse than they are. I think unions are incredibly important to everyone, not just union members.

Well said and this is why they are important.
  • There is no questioning the value of unions. They are essential- otherwise, in time, we would see the obliteration of the middle class. Don't think for a second that private industry jobs that pay well do so because the employers are fantastic. The only reason why some private sector jobs treat their employees well is because a union has set the benchmark that these companies must match to secure employees.

With that said, unions must set about evolving. Poorly performing employees must be held accountable. Unions do too much protecting weak members and not enough supporting strong performers. The effect sees a 'lowering of the bar' for work performance. Would be strong performers don't see the value in working hard or doing more, while their colleague 'slacks off' to earn the same money and benefits. As well, the company (or public) doesn't receive the service they seek or could attain with more proportionate compensation for valued employees. As such, the unions develop a bad reputation and, to some degree, disenfranchised employees.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • lukin2006 said:

If unions are so great why do they need legislation to get union dues? if their so effective then people should want to join and voluntarily pay dues. People voluntarily join organizations all the time and pay for the priviledge ... we pay to be members here, some pay to be members of the legion ... all voluntary of course. Except Unions ... hmmm ... I think they are like the government and leach off the productivity of others.

If people could get the receive the benefits of belonging to a union without paying for them then nobody would pay for membership and the union would disappear. I suppose that for many anti-union activists this is the ultimate goal anyhow. Personally I'm not a big fan of modern unions but an economy where labour has no organized voice scares the hell out of me. Globalization has already muted the voices of many workers as jobs are being driven overseas to developing markets with fewer safety standards and a lower cost of living. As for the abuse of productive workers; I think multinational corporations do a far better job leaching off of the productivity of others than any union could ever hope to.

In the end it probably doesn't matter; unions are likely going to lose this battle as we watch the middle class continue to erode over the next few generations.

lukin2006 said:

If people could get the receive the benefits of belonging to a union without paying for them then nobody would pay for membership and the union would disappear. I suppose that for many anti-union activists this is the ultimate goal anyhow. Personally I'm not a big fan of modern unions but an economy where labour has no organized voice scares the hell out of me. Globalization has already muted the voices of many workers as jobs are being driven overseas to developing markets with fewer safety standards and a lower cost of living. As for the abuse of productive workers; I think multinational corporations do a far better job leaching off of the productivity of others than any union could ever hope to.

In the end it probably doesn't matter; unions are likely going to lose this battle as we watch the middle class continue to erode over the next few generations.
    So all the pro-unionist would quit paying Union dues if given the choice? If that's the case, they really aren't that committed, I'd gladly pay no Union dues and they can send me a bill for when they've increased my wages and benefits ... This would be far more fair. From what I can see unions have no problem with legislation that requires automatic deduction of dues and membership (in Canada called rand act or formula I believe),but cry like little babies if anyone mentions legislation that would require unions to be more accountable and transparent to their members ... If they want forced membership then their should be legislation holding unions accountable.

• lukin2006 said:

lukin2006 said:

So all the pro-unionist would quit paying Union dues if given the choice? If that's the case, they really aren't that committed, I'd gladly pay no Union dues and they can send me a bill for when they've increased my wages and benefits ... This would be far more fair. From what I can see unions have no problem with legislation that requires automatic deduction of dues and membership (in Canada called rand act or formula I believe),but cry like little babies if anyone mentions legislation that would require unions to be more accountable and transparent to their members ... If they want forced membership then their should be legislation holding unions accountable.
    Would you be committed to paying a union if you could reap the same benefits without having to pay into the pot? This is why the Rand formula was introduced in the first place. The fact is, people tend to be selfish and short-sighted.

As for unions themselves; I'm not going to pretend that unions aren't full of corrupt, self-entitled members who abuse the system. We know that this is commonplace in many unions. At the same time, I'm reasonably comfortable knowing that many employers are every bit as wretched. I would love to see unions held more accountable to their members, but in places like Canada much of the complaining isn't about accountability to union members but rather accountability to the public at large.

lukin2006 said:

lukin2006 said:

Would you be committed to paying a union if you could reap the same benefits without having to pay into the pot? This is why the Rand formula was introduced in the first place. The fact is, people tend to be selfish and short-sighted.

As for unions themselves; I'm not going to pretend that unions aren't full of corrupt, self-entitled members who abuse the system. We know that this is commonplace in many unions. At the same time, I'm reasonably comfortable knowing that many employers are every bit as wretched. I would love to see unions held more accountable to their members, but in places like Canada much of the complaining isn't about accountability to union members but rather accountability to the public at large.
    I know why the rand formula was introduced ... it was also a very different era back when it was introduced ...

Like I said ... send me a bill when you can prove on paper that you've improved my life with increased wages and benefits and I'll gladly pay up. But the truth of the matter is that cost of living has far exceeded wage increases ...

• Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,952
    Striking seems like extortion to me, especially in places where a company has no choice but to deal with the union when it comes to staffing. I mean say there is an imaginary car company and there was a second imaginary company that controlled 100% of the market with respect to tires. Now imagine if the tire company told the car company they were going to raise the price of tires, and if the car company didn't pay well then too bad, they wouldn't be able to make cars and they would go out of business. People would say that is fucked up and is an illegal monopoly and crap like that. But if the UAW did the exact same thing with respect to employees that would be called a strike and is the kind of thing that happens all the time. It makes no sense.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,890
    Striking seems like extortion? Well, then I guess it's fair to say that telling people that they are going to lose their benefits or that their salaries will not stay even with inflation - in other words, their lives are going to be made worse and more difficult yet they still have to put in the same effort and time - and that if they don't like it they can leave, while they depend on their job to feed and clothe and shelter themselves and their families, is also extortion. So I guess they're even.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    lukin2006 said:

lukin2006 said:

lukin2006 said:

I know why the rand formula was introduced ... it was also a very different era back when it was introduced ...

Like I said ... send me a bill when you can prove on paper that you've improved my life with increased wages and benefits and I'll gladly pay up. But the truth of the matter is that cost of living has far exceeded wage increases ...
    Would you prefer your wages to stay the same? Cost of living rises steadily regardless of wages. If this wasn't the case repubs would be out there showing the facts and figures to prove that wages drive up cost of living at each round of wage increase legislation. The figures don't exist so they rely on emotional arguments that make sense but aren't supported by the facts.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Unions are necessary because corporations exist. Anyone who thinks corporations operate with their employees best interests in mind is delusional.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,794
    Unions are very effective at speeding up corporations sending their jobs elsewhere. Other than that, they have no real role in modern society.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    know1 said:

Unions are very effective at speeding up corporations sending their jobs elsewhere. Other than that, they have no real role in modern society.

Not very well thought out! In modern society, corps send their jobs elsewhere because the unfortunate workers in the elsewheres don't have collective bargaining rights. The role of unions in modern society is to keep corporations from paying starvation wages like they do when the send jobs to China, Malaysia, Vietnam, and elsewhere. If those workers had unions, the jobs wouldn't go anywhere so you really sort of validated the role of unions with this idea. We are all human and we all deserve a living wage for a hard days work. Besides that, if our politicians wanted to protect us from that, they could easily increase import taxes on select commodities.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844

Unions are necessary because corporations exist. Anyone who thinks corporations operate with their employees best interests in mind is delusional.

The primary goal of a corporation is to make money for their shareholders. I don't think they keep this a secret, so I'm sure not many people believe that they operate with their employees' best interests in mind, nor have I seen anyone arguing that here. The issue as I see it is whether unions are effectively protecting/improving workers' positions overall (rather than just the position of the union heads) and specifically whether striking is an effective way to do that.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • rgambs said:

know1 said:

Not very well thought out! In modern society, corps send their jobs elsewhere because the unfortunate workers in the elsewheres don't have collective bargaining rights. The role of unions in modern society is to keep corporations from paying starvation wages like they do when the send jobs to China, Malaysia, Vietnam, and elsewhere. If those workers had unions, the jobs wouldn't go anywhere so you really sort of validated the role of unions with this idea. We are all human and we all deserve a living wage for a hard days work. Besides that, if our politicians wanted to protect us from that, they could easily increase import taxes on select commodities.
    Nope. Not very well thought out at all.

It's actually greed and a willingness to exploit people that has corporations sending their jobs elsewhere.

It's ironic that companies rely on outsourcing their labour and manufacturing... then rely on the very people they don't wish to pay to purchase their goods: we don't wish to pay you... but will you buy our product?

If people could ever get their shit together to operate as an informed and conscientious consumer base... companies would have a challenging time operating as ruthlessly as they do. If the government actually concerned itself with the masses instead of corporate interest... said companies would find it challenging as well.
    edited October 2014

The issue as I see it is whether unions are effectively protecting/improving workers' positions overall (rather than just the position of the union heads) and specifically whether striking is an effective way to do that.
    Well said ... thats the exact case where I'm at. Have not had a pay increase in 3 years, but the union heads continue to go to every union convention held. Yup tough times unless your in the union executive or higher up, they continue to hold/go to just as many conventions as they always had ... really sad. The problem is that so few people are really informed, just like real life, they go along with whatever bullshit line their fed.

In general I'd have no problem with unions if there was legislation in place that held them accountable, forced them to put all financial documents on the web or forced that they automatically provide all members such documents, had to inform all member when conventions are held/attending how much was spent/why, etc...

In order to hold them accountable there needs to be a process put in place that allows for grievances to be heard ... fully funded by unions but totally independent of unions. In order to make this work sanctions need to be applied, everything from fines for small infractions to the removal of exectives from office.

As far as outsourcing these companies will always find a way to get cheap labour, there always be somewhere in this world that offer cheap labour ... you'll never unionize enough of the world to stop this.

• lukin2006 said:

The issue as I see it is whether unions are effectively protecting/improving workers' positions overall (rather than just the position of the union heads) and specifically whether striking is an effective way to do that.
    Well said ... thats the exact case where I'm at. Have not had a pay increase in 3 years, but the union heads continue to go to every union convention held. Yup tough times unless your in the union executive or higher up, they continue to hold/go to just as many conventions as they always had ... really sad. The problem is that so few people are really informed, just like real life, they go along with whatever bullshit line their fed.

In general I'd have no problem with unions if there was legislation in place that held them accountable, forced them to put all financial documents on the web or forced that they automatically provide all members such documents, had to inform all member when conventions are held/attending how much was spent/why, etc...

In order to hold them accountable there needs to be a process put in place that allows for grievances to be heard ... fully funded by unions but totally independent of unions. In order to make this work sanctions need to be applied, everything from fines for small infractions to the removal of exectives from office.

As far as outsourcing these companies will always find a way to get cheap labour, there always be somewhere in this world that offer cheap labour ... you'll never unionize enough of the world to stop this.
    I can relate to what you have written here. The BCTF takes in $41 million per year... PER YEAR.

They held a strike vote to which members voted overwhelmingly in favour of. Now it could be said that the members themselves are to blame for voting 'yes'; however, most members voted 'yes' to give the negotiating team a tool to place in their back pocket to work with (let management know they are serious). Not many members imagined that the executive would serve strike notice the very moment they tallied the votes without making attempts to negotiate first... but they did.

And, despite the $41 million per year (PER YEAR)... the union executive placed its members on the picket lines with only $3.5 million to pay out in strike pay. In short... they ran out of money after two days. The strike lasted through June and commenced throughout the first three weeks of September. This means teachers weren't paid for 4 months (give or take). I challenge any household to deal with that.

Reckless and foolish.

After all that... the BCTF signed a deal that was very comparable to the first one offered. It was as if teachers acted like spoiled brats in a supermarket because they were getting Shredded Wheat instead of Lucky Charms. After the crying, tantrum, and pouting... they ended up with Shredded Wheat... but lost their dignity in the process (not to mention a net of $9000).

To what you were saying, Lukin... where did all that money go? This situation begs for an external audit of the BCTF's fiscal activities.

lukin2006 said:

I can relate to what you have written here. The BCTF takes in $41 million per year... PER YEAR.

They held a strike vote to which members voted overwhelmingly in favour of. Now it could be said that the members themselves are to blame for voting 'yes'; however, most members voted 'yes' to give the negotiating team a tool to place in their back pocket to work with (let management know they are serious). Not many members imagined that the executive would serve strike notice the very moment they tallied the votes without making attempts to negotiate first... but they did.

And, despite the $41 million per year (PER YEAR)... the union executive placed its members on the picket lines with only $3.5 million to pay out in strike pay. In short... they ran out of money after two days. The strike lasted through June and commenced throughout the first three weeks of September. This means teachers weren't paid for 4 months (give or take). I challenge any household to deal with that.

Reckless and foolish.

After all that... the BCTF signed a deal that was very comparable to the first one offered. It was as if teachers acted like spoiled brats in a supermarket because they were getting Shredded Wheat instead of Lucky Charms. After the crying, tantrum, and pouting... they ended up with Shredded Wheat... but lost their dignity in the process (not to mention a net of $9000).

To what you were saying, Lukin... where did all that money go? This situation begs for an external audit of the BCTF's fiscal activities.
    Yes. I think people on all sides of this dispute and with all sorts of political opinions question the BCTF's performance and approach.
  • As bad as the BCTF were, in fairness... the government (led by a dingbat) was worse. They are more than culpable for what happened given their willful ignorance.

Among countless grievous offences... when a government ignores the courts of our lands and shreds legally binding agreements to make ones they prefer... that's a problem.
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,355

This is extremely generalized and just plain silly.

I don't believe we need most of the unions that exist. I do believe that some corporations do a very good job at taking care of their employees. To think all unions or corporations are the same is what is delusional.
    hippiemom = goodness

lukin2006 said:

Reckless and foolish.

Thats the problem, no accountability...and anytime I've ever heard the mention of legislation to hold unions accountable ... they whine the loudest, and for some reason their membership gets behind them. Just like with politics and democracy, unions are only effective for their membership if the majority are informed, care about all the issues and not just the issues that effect them ... unfortunately in my union most can't be bothered to get informed and realize the union executive is full of lazy, spineless, cowards.

As bad as the BCTF were, in fairness... the government (led by a dingbat) was worse. They are more than culpable for what happened given their willful ignorance.

Among countless grievous offences... when a government ignores the courts of our lands and shreds legally binding agreements to make ones they prefer... that's a problem.

Same thing happened here in Ontario with the last round of contracts with the teachers and educational workers ... the government stripped benefits away from all employee groups. The unions threatened to take the fight to the Supreme Court of Canada, but in the end they whimpered away and lost benefits ... and they'll lose more benefits again at some point because the government knows the don't have the coconuts to fight them.

This is extremely generalized and just plain silly.

I don't believe we need most of the unions that exist. I do believe that some corporations do a very good job at taking care of their employees. To think all unions or corporations are the same is what is delusional.
    agree

• lukin2006 said:

As bad as the BCTF were, in fairness... the government (led by a dingbat) was worse. They are more than culpable for what happened given their willful ignorance.

Same thing happened here in Ontario with the last round of contracts with the teachers and educational workers ... the government stripped benefits away from all employee groups. The unions threatened to take the fight to the Supreme Court of Canada, but in the end they whimpered away and lost benefits ... and they'll lose more benefits again at some point because the government knows the don't have the coconuts to fight them.
    The government with an endless stream of tax revenue to squash anyone they want. It's a problem.

These very things are the only reason I don't laugh at Unsung and his kooky theories as much as I used to.

lukin2006 said:

The government with an endless stream of tax revenue to squash anyone they want. It's a problem.

These very things are the only reason I don't laugh at Unsung and his kooky theories as much as I used to.
    Hehehehe ... I agree there.

Well, that's another kettle of fish and one we are all responsible for ("all" being BC voters). The teachers are responsible for their union leadership and, I hope, will demand some changes.
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007
    You could also say Unions are the last line of Democracy.